Guess I'll be a Pirate Now

Child of Flame

The publishing side of Sony has decided it would be a totally sweet and awesome idea to install rootkits on your PC when you drop your legit CD in the drive to listen to it, it is their genius new form of DRM.

The rootkits stay on your PC after you take the CD out, and if you try to remove them, it supposedly makes it so you can't play CDs on your computer anymore.

The extent of my piracy so far has been limited to out of date and unavailable ROMs and Emulators, which are all but legal in that game companies generally look the other way, and occassionally downloading a song or two from an artist to see if I might like to buy their music, deleting it afterwards if I didn't.

This is just plain wrong, it's not mentioned at all in the EULA, and from now on, I'll be stealing any music I want published on a Sony label.

Sue me.

Here's a link to the apparent first dude who found the nasties. [Click]

And here's a quote of the part that makes me the most mad.

When I logged in again I discovered that the CD drive was missing from Explorer. Deleting the drivers had disabled the CD. Now I was really mad. Windows supports device
Edited by Child of Flame

I expect it will catch on. Like any anti piracy measure it's not designed to irradicate it. Rather it's a deterent to people who only have a certain level of knowledge.

Even though music is overpriced. It still dosnt give anyone the right to steal it, any more than walking into a store and lifting the CD off the shelf.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, the price just got higher. And sadly enough, it's a kind of markup that most people will, knowingly or not, endure.

Did the CD carry info/terms of use that included that?  If not, installing software on PCs without the users' knowledge isn't cool.

Or legal?

No, sue them. I know someone was prosecuted recently for spam. Have there been any prosecutions for spyware?

I can foresee this being a disaster for sony, with lots of innocent users deleting the files by accident and having problems playing legitimate CDs. They'll complain to the newspapers, and Sony will be forced to apologise and withdraw the system, having wasted millions of pounds on it. It couldn't happen to nicer people. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Or legal?

No, sue them.  I know someone was prosecuted recently for spam.  Have there been any prosecutions for spyware?

I can foresee this being a disaster for sony, with lots of innocent users deleting the files by accident and having problems playing legitimate CDs.  They'll complain to the newspapers, and Sony will be forced to apologise and withdraw the system, having wasted millions of pounds on it.  It couldn't happen to nicer people. :thumbsup:

Thats a toughie since PC's are not the primary unit used to play CD's even though they can.

Although It's probably been passed by legal analysts beforehand and buried somewhere deep in the small print it's not the sort of thing that should be done in secret.

That would depend on how likely it was to effect an "innocent user" at the end of the day people are not going to want to bring themselves attention in that way unless they are a paragon of virtue.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Mayhap it has something to do with this ?

Sony Computer Entertainment America has launched a new piece of software designed to make it easier for PlayStation Portable owners to transfer media from PC to PSP.

The PSP Media Manager features a drag-and-drop interface and thumbnail previews so users can move files around quickly and easily, and a one-click option for backing up files. It supports a wide range of video and audio formats, including jpeg, wav, wma, mp4, avi and mpeg, and a range of bitrate options are available.

A download-only version is on sale now at the Sony website, priced $19.95. A boxed version, which will go on sale on December 1, will come with a 6 foot USB 2.0 cable, sample media and five free song downloads from Sony's Connect music store. It will retail for $29.95.

Advertisement

"The PSP system has established itself as the pre-eminent device for mobile entertainment and gaming," said Dave Chaimson, vice president of marketing, Sony Media Software.

"Now, with the release of the new PSP Media Manager software, we're providing Sony technology that lets users easily optimize and transfer their content from the PC to their PSP system using a familiar drag-and-drop interface."

478327[/snapback]

This is increadibly ugly, someone should sue Sony and http://www.first4internet.com/ to hell and back for this.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It still dosnt give anyone the right to steal it, any more than walking into a store and lifting the CD off the shelf.

Yeah, and it's not like anyone would want to do that anymore, after they put that crap in their CDs.

I meanl, this idiocy makes me smile. Do they really think they are going to stop piracy this way? People will just stop buying CDs for fear of damaging their hardware, and illegal internet downloads will increase or, at best, stay the same.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to install software in your computer without your consent, let alone your knowledge. I really hope they get sued to hell for this. :lol:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Mayhap it has something to do with this ?

Sony Computer Entertainment America has launched a new piece of software designed to make it easier for PlayStation Portable owners to transfer media from PC to PSP.

The PSP Media Manager features a drag-and-drop interface and thumbnail previews so users can move files around quickly and easily, and a one-click option for backing up files. It supports a wide range of video and audio formats, including jpeg, wav, wma, mp4, avi and mpeg, and a range of bitrate options are available.

A download-only version is on sale now at the Sony website, priced $19.95. A boxed version, which will go on sale on December 1, will come with a 6 foot USB 2.0 cable, sample media and five free song downloads from Sony's Connect music store. It will retail for $29.95.

Advertisement

"The PSP system has established itself as the pre-eminent device for mobile entertainment and gaming," said Dave Chaimson, vice president of marketing, Sony Media Software.

"Now, with the release of the new PSP Media Manager software, we're providing Sony technology that lets users easily optimize and transfer their content from the PC to their PSP system using a familiar drag-and-drop interface."

I use a similar program for my MP3 player... its called Windows Explorer.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Apparently they have changed their EULA, so it warns you about the crap they are installing on your computer, but still no mention of inability to uninstall it.

In the other news

Under a new proposed Analog Hole bill, it will be illegal to make anything capable of digitizing video unless it either has all its outputs approved by the Hollywood studios, or is closed-source, proprietary and tamper-resistant. The idea is to make it impossible to create an MPEG from a video signal unless Hollywood approves it.

Laws override the EULA of any company's products. if this is found to be illegal, they could write it in bold letters,a nd tehy still coulnd't get away with it. Period.

However, anyone who steals something after this is scum as wll and should be fried. You do NOT have the right to these products.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

However, anyone who steals something after this is scum as wll and should be fried. You do NOT have the right to these products.

Yarrr...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds