Starship Troopers Demo!

213374U

Haven't tried it although thanks for the links. In the 3d gamers one there was an ad for the Myst V demo. Currently downloading both...

EDIT: Just finished playing the demo twice through. Seemed fun enough till I got a huge swarm of bugs after me. There may be some spoilers however I don't think there is anything too bad as I have only played about 5 minutes into the game.

Based on my quick play of the demo level (I died twice before I stopped. I'll try to beat it in the morning.) the graphics of the game don't seem all the impressive to me. However keep in mind that I only have a 1.7ghz P4 and a 9600 Pro so I was forced to use the lowest, or near enough to it, graphics options. I still experienced some lag during the first encounter, however there were an awful lot of bugs.

My first reaction upon starting the game was good. They have a brief cinematic from the first Starship Troopers movie that shows the grunts moving in and entering a small outpost in the middle of a desert area. The demo mission is very much like the scene from the movie, where the bugs come in from a distance and swarm around the outpost while the grunts hold the walls. The bugs that come swarming provide easy target practice and a chance to get the hang of your weapons strengths and ranges for the grenade launcher which really comes in handy.

There are a number of different types of warrior bugs as the say on the game website with the black ones being your usual cannon fodder, a couple hits and they die variety, while the more colourful the bugs are the harder they become. The bright orange ones can take quite a while to take down with just your standard machine gun fire so your best bet when taking them on is your secondary fire mode (grenade launcher and a shotgun like burst effective only at close range). The higher levels of soldier bug also have different tactics. I actually had two orange bugs attack me from both sides when one of them rushed past me before turning around and ripping me to pieces while I focused on the one that was still in front of me.

I found the little touches that they developers added to the game really added to the atmosphere. From the dead soldiers lying on the ground (in various stages of "wholeness"), to the trooper hiding in the back of the base on his hands and knees whimpering and saying things like "I don't care about citizenship!".

From what I've heard the voices sound quite good to my untrained ear and the speech seemed in character considering who was saying it, if not somewhat overly cheerful.

As I said earlier, there are a lot of enemies in the game. Within 5 seconds of starting the mission a swarm of bugs charge the base and surround it trying to force their way in. Strangely enough I don't think any of them noticed the open doorway. :thumbsup:" The number of bugs definately imposes a "Crap!" feeling when you're caught outside the base by a horde of screaming warrior bugs that are charging right at you. When I say horde I mean horde, there were at least 50 bugs that attacked me at once while I was trapped against a canyon wall with no place to go. That accounted for one of my deaths.

Overall the game seemed quite fun to me and I'm itching to try it again so I can blow up more bugs, watching severed attack limbs go flying after I launch a grenade at them, :thumbsup:

FURTHER EDIT:

I just finished the demo this morning and I quite enjoyed it. The final scene with the swarm of bugs was quite fun although the game did slow down to a crawl. There were hundreds of bugs on the screen at one time and it really did feel like the outpost scene from the movie in a "We're all gonna die!" kind of way when you see the bugs swarming forward and then they just keep coming. Every now and then you would see a bug jump up on the wall and attacks the soldier standing there and after awhile it will play a little death animation of the trooper getting gored and thrown back down off the wall into the mass of bugs below.

Backing up a bit, the scene where you retrieve the power cell from the ship and a swarm of bugs comes after you is oh so much easier when you find and use the Advanced Shotgun among the wreckage. It takes out the basic bugs in one shot and if it's well placed can kill more than one bug at a time. I think my record was 5 bugs with one shot. It makes the trip back to the Outpost a lot easier as well, expecially when bugs are popping up everywhere around you. Took me by surprise when they appeared behind me.

My one complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any real feedback when you shoot an enemy. There is no blood, no recoil, the bugs act as if you haven't hit them at all with the exception of when they die or some arbitrary point when it decides that enough damage has been done that a limb flys off. It feels like you are shooting moving cardboard targets.

Overall the game could be quite fun if they fix this problem and if you have a much better graphics card. My 9600 Pro really shows it's age (dispite my only having it for 2 years...) when attempting to deal with the massive hordes of bugs on screen at one time.

Sounds good. Now make it so I'm a rum-crazed welshman shooting zulus.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

and people were complaining that it had psudo militaristic "gobblty g00k". Isn't that what Starship troopers origionally was (in book form)?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The Current one is a FPS mainly following the movie, as some scenes (like the Bug Assault on the Fortress) are completely included...

The old one (2000) was an RTS-type of game...

(And ofcourse it was Buggy... otherwise there would be no enemies)

No one that hasn't gone insane from the sheer stupidity afterwards

Was already wondering when I lost my mind :D

Now I know...

The original Starship Troopers that came out in 2000 is actually one of the few action RTS's I've enjoyed playing. It was buggy, but I survived Daggerfall (I should get a t-shirt with that printed on) so to me it didn't seem so bad. You basically were given a bunch of soldiers in a 3D world and had to try and make them survive through mission after mission that closely resembled (parts of) the first movie.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The Current one is a FPS mainly following the movie, as some scenes (like the Bug Assault on the Fortress) are completely included...

The old one (2000) was an RTS-type of game...

(And ofcourse it was Buggy... otherwise there would be no enemies)

No one that hasn't gone insane from the sheer stupidity afterwards

Was already wondering when I lost my mind :D

Now I know...

I'm not so sure that it follows the movie, although I suppose it depends on which definition of "follows" you are using. Yes the included demo mission is similar to the bug attack on the outpost from the movie (complete with Tanker bug!) but the game takes place after the movie timeline.

So that's why you've lost your sanity. That explains at least one of the moderators. :blink:"

Did anyone actually watch the second film? :lol:

I wanted to buy the first one but couldn't find it for less than 35 bucks. Then I lucked into a two pack of 1 and 2 for 25. So not only did I get the first one for 25 bucks less, but I also got the 2nd one for free. And it wasn't *that* bad. It had nice boobies.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It had nice boobies.

Always a necessity :lol:"

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

The original Starship Troopers that came out in 2000 is actually one of the few action RTS's I've enjoyed playing. It was buggy, but I survived Daggerfall (I should get a t-shirt with that printed on) so to me it didn't seem so bad. You basically were given a bunch of soldiers in a 3D world and had to try and make them survive through mission after mission that closely resembled (parts of) the first movie.

Send your ideas for t-shirt art work to Jinx idea submissions for $200.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds good. Now make it so I'm a rum-crazed welshman shooting zulus.

Gold

And I'm so late. Again.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds