Do NOT buy a 360 on release.

"What's most interesting about Gates' comments is that they confirm that the first generation of Xbox 360 is likely to be joined over time by models with additional functionality - specifically, extra features which are designed to improve the system's abilities as a home media centre".

"The initial shipments of Xbox 360 will be based on today's DVD format," Gates explained. "We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox 360 will incorporate an additional capability of an HD-DVD player or something else."

While the addition of a HD-DVD drive to Xbox 360 would allow future models to play HD movies stored on the format, it seems unlikely that the extra capacity would be available to game developers, since their titles would then not work on first-generation hardware.

Unless you fancy being stuck with an Obsolete machine sixth months down the line, or unless MS promise you a free hardware upgrade(s).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"What's most interesting about Gates' comments is that they confirm that the first generation of Xbox 360 is likely to be joined over time by models with additional functionality - specifically, extra features which are designed to improve the system's abilities as a home media centre".

"The initial shipments of Xbox 360 will be based on today's DVD format," Gates explained. "We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox 360 will incorporate an additional capability of an HD-DVD player or something else."

While the addition of a HD-DVD drive to Xbox 360 would allow future models to play HD movies stored on the format, it seems unlikely that the extra capacity would be available to game developers, since their titles would then not work on first-generation hardware.

Unless you fancy being stuck with an Obsolete machine sixth months down the line, or unless MS promise you a free hardware upgrade(s).

Wow I'm impressed.

"Microsoft, doing our best to bring PCs and Consoles together in one kind of crappy machine."

Guest Fishboot

Yes, it would have been wiser to not say that, but do it anyway. :)

Did I hear some story that they're going to be welding one of the next-gen consoles shut, so that you'd actually have to cut the case off to modify it? That doesn't exactly scream "upgrade path" to me...

If you want somthing you can actually use then buy a friggin' PC.

consolers <_< phhh...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That fits my plans anyways. I rarely buy a system right away, not just because of the price, but also to see how stable it is and how other customers react to it. Now this extra bit of news adds to my reasons not to buy right away. :)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

^^Same here, it will probaly about a year before I even consider buying one or the other, in the mean time, I'll probaly invest in a better computer

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Wasn't really planning on buying a 360, anyway. The next-gen nintendo and sony consoles are much, much higher priorities than M$'s swill.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Yes, it would have been wiser to not say that, but do it anyway. :)

Did I hear some story that they're going to be welding one of the next-gen consoles shut, so that you'd actually have to cut the case off to modify it? That doesn't exactly scream "upgrade path" to me...

That was the Xbox 360 IIRC.

Microsoft didn't like you modifying their box I guess. :p

I'm poor so always get tested and degugged hardware because I'm the last person to buy stuff. Like with my Xbox. My friend payed $300 for his and I payed $150. He has a Thomson drive and I have a Samsung. He has troubles playing certain CDs and I don't :)

I'll wait for Playstation 3.  Thank you very much!

Than you'd get a even more untested peice of hardware for even more.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

With Obsidian, and BIO games; X-BOX still has the upper hand. Of course, I'll have to wait to buy it anyways since I can't afford the front end price, anyways...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Is it really "obsolete" equipment?  If you're just looking to play XBOX360 games, would the new DVD player really make a difference?

It has for the current XBox. I know some people who have the older one have more "technical" issues with newer games than those who own the newer Xbox.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm most likely going to get the PS3, and by brother will get the XBOX 360. Then we'll have both :thumbsup: The PS3 seems more appealing to me because it always gets the GTA games first, and it will be coming out after the XBOX 360 (or so I heard) which will allow Sony to make it better.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

i probably wont get a next gen console for a few years..i'll see what the game choices are like first but seeing as how xbox gets all the good RPG's it'll probably be an xbox 360.

anyway i can probably make do with this battered, out of date comp.

This thread goes round in circles.

Yeah, 360 degress...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm going where Perfect Dark Zero and Final Fantasy 12 are. Thus, I'll probably get them both. Then my boyfriend Mr. Nintendo-Freak will likely buy a Revalution, and I'll get to play any new Zelda games for free! *insert maniacal laugh here* :)

sig2.gif