What are you reading ?

Musopticon?

I think America wins, and everyone else loses

And Ariel Sharon gets the girl in the end

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I just finished Children of the Mind, the last of the Ender Wiggen series.

It was a good read.  None of them really compare with Ender's Game, but I liked the series well enough.  I guess, to join in the rating mania, I would say I enjoyed Ender's game best, followed by Speaker for the Dead, then Children of the Mind, and last would be Xenocide.

The Bean series is pretty good, but it just doesn't measure up to the Ender line. I have yet to read Shadow of the Giant.  It is another dramatic jump for the series, so I might end up liking Shadow of the Giant more than the other books in the Bean series.

After that, I'll probably read something a bit more academic.  Maybe a Greek or Latin title.  ...Or maybe a Greek and Latin title, after which I'll get into another sci-fi or fantasy book.

DO Not read much of his other stuff unless you are seriously mormon. Orson Scott-Card is a fanatical mormon and he show it in much of his philosophy, especally in Folk of the Fringe, where everybody's favorite nightmare happens, MAD. While everything else looses technology. Utah becasue it's the "holy place" and because the mormons are a bunch of nutjobs, Still is a fairly capable civilization. with computer's crops and cars. The one thing i don't understand is how they can grow crops, the entirety of Utah is either desert or a Salt plain and they don't have any fresh water... :blink:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It was a good read.  None of them really compare with Ender's Game, but I liked the series well enough.  I guess, to join in the rating mania, I would say I enjoyed Ender's game best, followed by Speaker for the Dead, then Children of the Mind, and last would be Xenocide.

The Bean series is pretty good, but it just doesn't measure up to the Ender line. I have yet to read Shadow of the Giant.  It is another dramatic jump for the series, so I might end up liking Shadow of the Giant more than the other books in the Bean series.

After that, I'll probably read something a bit more academic.  Maybe a Greek or Latin title.  ...Or maybe a Greek and Latin title, after which I'll get into another sci-fi or fantasy book.

DO Not read much of his other stuff unless you are seriously mormon. Orson Scott-Card is a fanatical mormon and he show it in much of his philosophy, especally in Folk of the Fringe, where everybody's favorite nightmare happens, MAD. While everything else looses technology. Utah becasue it's the "holy place" and because the mormons are a bunch of nutjobs, Still is a fairly capable civilization. with computer's crops and cars. The one thing i don't understand is how they can grow crops, the entirety of Utah is either desert or a Salt plain and they don't have any fresh water... :-

Obviously they grow fields of salt, and graze majestic herds of saltibeeste.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The one thing i don't understand is how they can grow crops, the entirety of Utah is either desert or a Salt plain and  they don't have any fresh water...  :-

I could be wrong in this, but I think the first irrigation systems in the US were done in Utah and specifically Salt Lake City. They pulled water from the Colorado ricer and it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

DO Not read much of his other stuff unless you are seriously mormon. Orson Scott-Card is a fanatical mormon and he show it in much of his philosophy, especally in Folk of the Fringe, where everybody's favorite nightmare happens, MAD. While everything else looses technology. Utah becasue it's the "holy place" and because the mormons are a bunch of nutjobs, Still is a fairly capable civilization. with computer's crops and cars. The one thing i don't understand is how they can grow crops, the entirety of Utah is either desert or a Salt plain and they don't have any fresh water... :rolleyes:

Obviously they grow fields of salt, and graze majestic herds of saltibeeste.

:thumbsup:

One of the oldest surviving revenue streams is the salt-mining of the Sahara, where the blocks of salt are sold in Mali markets on the River Niger.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

i'm talking about how in heavens name they can grow crops in ground that sux up the water like a spunge before it can hit the roots.

Guest Mistress

At the moment I am reading a couple of books on canine topics, and The Newgate Calendar. Oh, and The Sandman: Doll's House by Neil Gaiman.

True, o:) It's being made into a movie? what next american gods with the ravens that say f you?

I finally found a copy of and started reading "FINGERPRINTS OF THE GODS" by Graham Hanc0ck (rofl, the forums filter the name as a swear word). I'm not very far into the book yet but the facts he provides even in the beginning are quite awesome...

My favourite of all the Fleming stories was 'A quantum of solace'. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm now reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell... this guy is a genius... from what I've read so far I definitely recommend it  :)

Oh, that was a Richard & Judy Book Club item, wasn't it? Reviewed by that fop from Have I Got News For You, whatzisname, *qucikly does a google, well whatdya know, it's in the wiki!* Ian Hislop.

I might pick that up as soon as I attack and devour a significant part of my reading stack ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My favourite of all the Fleming stories was 'A quantum of solace'. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

This is my third go around with Fleming, I have already read 'A quantum of solace' some people will say his short stories are better, but I like the full-length novels myself. On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, being my favorite. (Favorite Bond movies as well)

I just finished "Elantris," the debut novel by a guy named Brandon Sanderson. It was an excellent standalone fantasy novel, something hard to come by in a genre where Robert "Air" Jordan is putting out his 36th Wheel of Time book.

Also recently read that Gamespot article about KOTOR 3.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

True,  :rolleyes:  It's being made into a movie? what next american gods with the ravens that say f you?

I say supposedly because last I heard it remains in production hell. Someone bought the rights and made a script, but that happens for tons of times. Sometimes a film really gets made, and sometimes it stays in development hell forever. Right now, such is the case with Ender's Game the movie. Right now Warner Brothers owns the right. Wolfgang Petersen is attached to direct, possibly as his next picture The Poseiden Adventure. Ender's Game is listed as a 2006 film last time I checked. Card wrote a script, but it was tossed aside by the studio who didn't want a novelist to write a script. The X-2 screenwriters wrote a script, and now the Troy screenwriter has been hired to rewrite it once again.

Last I heard Gilliam wanted to make Good Omens in 2002. He wrote a script and was slated to direct. Them Gilliam sat on his hands for a while and then made the Brother's Grimm instead. Maybe he'll make Good Omens now.

i've just started reading the Illiad again. i read the Aenead (sp?) a while ago, but the Illiad is much better imo.

after that, i'm gonna start reading the book of plays by Euripides that i recently bought

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

i've just started reading the Illiad again. i read the Aenead (sp?) a while ago, but the Illiad is much better imo.

after that, i'm gonna start reading the book of plays by Euripides that i recently bought

It's been about 10 years, but didn't he write the Frogs? It's a surprisingly vulgar and funny comedy.

Greek Comedy is vulgar and often funny. Aristophanes wrote The Frogs, but Euripides is a character in the play.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!