What are you reading ?

Musopticon?

yeah i got some of Aristophanes' plays too :D

when i was in the book store getting the Euripides plays, there were some Sophocles, Aeschylus (sp?) and a few more Euripides plays, but i didn't have enough money >_<;)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Here you go, Shryke, you need purchase the plays no longer!

http://www.perseus.org/cache/perscoll_Greco-Roman.html

Each work is available in either Greek/Latin or English.

This isn't the best way to read the plays, so you might want to buy some of your favorites anyhow. It is great for looking through the plays to see which ones you like best.

If you're a student of Classical Studies, then you can also use the site for tough to translate passages, although you don't want to become dependent on Perseus.

There are mirror sites, so if one is down, then go to another. Enjoy!

I'm reading Harry Potter translated into Attic Greek, which is not available on Perseus. Nothing's perfect, I guess.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I just finished re-reading Stephan R. Donaldson's Mordant's Need, a 2-book fantasy.

Re-reading favorite old books is about all I ever do anymore. I burnt out on trying to find new books often enough to keep pace with how fast I can read, and got tired of the endless-sequel fantasy-syndrome.

So mostly I read Consumer Reports, reference texts, and websites these days. :(

Fantasy/sci-fi is what I usually go for tho...with historical fiction/non-fiction tossed in as well. I'm rabid about certain history periods, particuarly centering around (non-modern) military tactics and war strategies.

Oh and - to the person who mentioned Tigana - that's one of my fave books...unfortunately I don't think his others match it. The Fionavar Tapestry series is interesting because the 'heroes' are brought to a fantasy world from modern present day but I didn't find it as compelling or lyrical. Not that it's horrible...it's a good read. :rolleyes:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LadyCrimson, if you like non-modern military I strongly recommend the Sharpe novels.

Anyone who likes a good sci-fi punch-up, or just some good war fiction could do a lot worse than the Gaunt's Ghost series, published by Games Workshop. The best war fiction I have ever read.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

One of the sweetest romances in fantasy literature. I liked it too.

I'm not sure I'd call it a romance overall...but yeah, the two leads do the romance dance. hehe

I really liked the characters of Lebbick and The Tor.

Donaldson's Gap Conflict series (more sci-fi than fantasy) is also pretty good - different than his fantasy style, but I liked it quite a bit. And his short story collection Reave the Just & Other Tales is worth a read - one of the better vampire related short stories I've read, Penance, is in there.

Donaldson does seem....obsessed...with certain themes. :rolleyes:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Meta: that sounds pretty interesting. Do you know if it wasa recent publication or do you reckon I'll have to get it second hand?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Meta: that sounds pretty interesting. Do you know if it wasa  recent publication or do you reckon I'll have to get it second hand?

Prefaceto the Twentieth Century Edition Copyright © 1999 Douglas R Hofstadter

Copyright © 1979 by Basic Books, Inc. New York. (A member of the Perseus Books Group)

ISBN 0-465-02656-7

US $20.00 / $29.95 CAN (paperback)

:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Currently reading The Losers vol 1. Its pretty decent so far, but I'm not very far. I should have it done by tonight.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Re-reading Mid-Flinx by Alan Dean Foster. I love that series.

Pip the mini-drag, yo-ho!

Foster does a few short-novel series that I enjoy a lot.

The last book I read was "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops" by George Carlin.

Not as funny as "Napalm and Silly Putty."

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I should be reading swedish grammar.

I should. :lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

About swedish: Matriculation exams. You know how it is.

About Tuska: Damn great. Being my first time it was surprisingly easy to mix with the crowd. And cops only picked up one stoner. It's a great feeling to yell Finntroll's Ursvamp together with 3000 other peeps. Primal Fear was great, so was Destruction, Scarve, Wintersun and Apocalyptica. Weather also rocked; sun shone from dawn till dusk unhindered. I'm definetly going next year too. Damn shame I missed Slayer when they were at Sauna Open. It would have been grand screaming Angel of Death from the bottom of my lungs.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Re-reading Mid-Flinx by Alan Dean Foster. I love that series. 

Pip the mini-drag, yo-ho!

Foster does a few short-novel series that I enjoy a lot.

I thoroughly recommend his The Man Who Ruled The Universe, if you haven't read it (or have, but not for a while).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm reading a scifi novel named I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

Damn clever plot engines and the setting is just evil. One man against a whole world gone mad and he only squirms in his past.

Next up is Dan Simmons Hyperion. I've never read it, but have heard good things.

kirottu said:

• 11 months later...

Wasn't sure if I should make a new post or necro-post this one...

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King). I remember reading that as a teen in my highschool's library - the original bookcover with it's authoritarian figure and shambling walkers made a lasting impression on me - and then seeing it years later as part of a King 4-in-1 book. Weird. I like the story tho.