What are you reading ?

Musopticon?

silver_surfer.jpg

I remember him simply as a guest star on several animated superhero shows I watched as a child. From what I recall, he was a citizen of a galactic human society, and in order to prevent the destruction of that society agreed to serve Galactus, an evil planet-eating giant android/alien/god thing. In return, he was changed into the Silver Surfer as symbol of his servitude. Though he saved them, the people of his civilization despise Galactus so much as to transfer that hate to him. Id guess the main reason was that as Galactus' herald, the Silver Surfer searched for planets for the evil being to eat. Eventually, he discovers Earth and sends a message to Galactus. Basically, to the tune of: "Dinner's ready!" After meeting an Earth woman with whom he falls in love, the Silver Surfer turns against Galactus and becomes a superhero who travels the galaxy saving people and trying to defeat his former master.

I also seem to have a vague recollection from a Spiderman episode in which some female relative who grew up on Earth decides to become the next servant of Galactus. She also becomes silvery and gets a galactic surfboard.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

There's kind of a fine line between cryptomisogyny and sincere grittiness.

Good God, I didn't even know we had such a word. Funny, means something like "hidden woman hatred" or some such in Greek. hahaha.

I agree that there is a fine line between gritty and pointlessly ugly. That point might not be defined by the reader or the author so much as both the reader and the author. ...Or it may be defined by posterity.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Don't talk to em about bad sci-fi until you have read both 'Night of the Giant Crabs' and 'Revenge of the Giant Crabs'. I was obliged to read both of these while convalescing in a Southeast Asian guesthouse from stomach problems. I completely forgot my stomach problems in the face of what I believe to be the most terrifyingly bad fiction ever written. Suppurating eyesockets would have been a godsend.

See, now I'm starting to feel compelled to hunt those books down and read them just to see how bad they really are. o:)

You fool! Don't do it! I lost my ability to write even conversational letters home for months. People didn't believe me about 'American Cyborg: Steel warrior', and they were sorry. Oh yes. They were sorry. Can you say 'Papier mache foetus ending'? See, I knew you could.

And I usually have good luck with books I find randomly. I also read Chickenhawk just prior to that. Fantastic.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Actually, I'd use my brain, hopefully you have one, and see all the deleted topics still smoldering in the forum and the incessant rise of new ones, usually the "What R you Fav...", and then I would respond, but I don't see how the immature post of mine should destroy the whole topic of you inferred intellectuals, because if thats true, don't go out into the real world my friend, stay in your mom's basement. Mankind has suffered through worst, so shut your mouth thou warped, ruttish, hedge-born, ill-breeded pignut.

Oh boy, another insult tirade by Wheelman, how predictable? Look at your posts? They are laced with tirades and immature insults, and you have the gall to infer that another still lives in his basement? LOL! You are too much! But I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Oh boy, another insult tirade by Wheelman, how predictable?

Yes, I know... :">

Look at your posts? They are laced with tirades and immature insults, and you have the gall to infer that another still lives in his basement?

Yes, I do...who else did I proclaim lived in his basement? BTW, I have tread through all the spam of my posts when someone had the audacity to call me demeaning to find that only 87 of my posts could have been considered inflammatory, however, now I am trying to get this number up, instead of worrying if I will hurt someone else's pride, and I have only recently come back, so I doubt the number has grown immensely... :rolleyes:"

LOL! You are too much! But I

Yes, I do...who else did I proclaim lived in his basement? BTW, I have tread through all the spam of my posts when someone had the audacity to call me demeaning to find that only 87 of my posts could have been considered inflammatory, however, now I am trying to get this number up, instead of worrying if I will hurt someone else's pride, and I have only recently come back, so I doubt the number has grown immensely... :-"
Ok, you have the gall, but it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Precisely.

You see, I showed you the errors that you make, through letting you find mine, so that you may learn a lesson from this forum, and from me.

1030-02.jpg

Glad to have this argument, for you are truly an articulate foe that has graced me, and this I must respect. :-

And if you should ever err from this course, I beg you to remember:

A graceful taunt is worth a thousand insults. -- Louis Nizer

Precisely.

You see, I showed you the errors that you make, through letting you find mine, so that you may learn a lesson from this forum, and from me.

Trust me when I say I

- Steven Erikson

President.George.W.Bush.jpg

Whatr ye arguin' abewt? Does

it have coke and hookers in it?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just finished Children of the Mind, the last of the Ender Wiggen series.

It was a good read. None of them really compare with Ender's Game, but I liked the series well enough. I guess, to join in the rating mania, I would say I enjoyed Ender's game best, followed by Speaker for the Dead, then Children of the Mind, and last would be Xenocide.

The Bean series is pretty good, but it just doesn't measure up to the Ender line. I have yet to read Shadow of the Giant. It is another dramatic jump for the series, so I might end up liking Shadow of the Giant more than the other books in the Bean series.

After that, I'll probably read something a bit more academic. Maybe a Greek or Latin title. ...Or maybe a Greek and Latin title, after which I'll get into another sci-fi or fantasy book.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have to say, Aponez, that after fifteen years I have yet to finish Clauswitz' book. It has to be the most tedious and unnecessarily wordy treatise on warfare ever written by someone other than me. Sun Tzu said more in less time.

I'm not saying he's wrong, since I've read commentaries on him, just that he should have got someone else to word it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm reading the messageboards!

:cool:

hahaha clever. I read those quite a bit myself.

Obsidian Plays

I'm reading Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival America's Quest for Global Dominance

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.