Who shot first?

Who shot first  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who shot first

• Han
    • Greedo

You guys make me laugh. Always bitching about the changes made and how the new trilogy is not as good, why don't you just accept them for what they are!

As far as who shoots first, i think it is better that Greedo shoots first, it shows Han is cool under pressure and had the confidence that Greedo would miss. IMO it makes Han an even cooler character.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

You guys make me laugh.

We aim to please. ;)

----

IMO it makes Han an even cooler character.

If by "cool" you mean aiding in Lucus' conceptualization that everyone is either a goody-two-shoed Lightsider or an English-accented-DarkSider (with no shades of grey or neutrality in between), then yes.

But if by "cool" you mean giving an essentially non-evil character depth by making him murder a filthy Rodian in broad daylight, then no.

manthing2.jpg

If by "cool" you mean aiding in Lucus' conceptualization that everyone is either a goody-two-shoed Lightsider or an English-accented-DarkSider (with no shades of grey or neutrality in between), then yes.

But if by "cool" you mean giving an essentially non-evil character depth by making him murder a filthy Rodian in broad daylight, then no.

Not by murdering him but letting him shoot first, thats what i mean.

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Greedo shot, then Han shot him, as far as I could see.

Thats how it was in the Special Edition Release but it has changed again.

You misunderstand Sun Tzu my friend...I'm all for Han murdering Greedo - as was the case in the original. :)

manthing2.jpg

Oh. Well i think it is better the other way around. :)

I'm more concerned about the goofiness of it all. Greedo has the blaster pointed at his face at point blank range and somehow manages to miss. He must have worse aim than stormtroopers and A-Team combined. At least the latest revision has them shooting almost at same time so the whole thing is easier to ignore.

SODOFF Steam group.

What i want to know is what is up with the green sabre Luke practices with???

Everyone sensible knows damn well that Han shot first. Only Lucas' continual bastardization of the OT are trying to shift this 'villainous' trait to poor innocent Greedo.

The way is was in its original unedited state provided the best character arc for Han - at first starting out as a selfish roque in  Ep IV, then developing a begrudging loyalty for our heroes (masked under the illusion of credtis), before standing up for the good of the Rebellion against tyranny in Ep. VI.  :wub:

Thankfully, I still have my original widescreen version on VHS...heh

Doesn't really work for the character though. Until he hooked up with Luke and Ben, Han was a smuggler plain and simple. A person out for himself and nobody else, except for maybe Chewie. He's not nearly chivalrous enough to allow somebody to get the first shot in, especially at point-blank range. Can't make any money or have any fun if you're dead and letting the other guy shoot first on the off chance he'll miss just to show you're not a cold-blooded killer is just a stupid idea.

As far as who shoots first, i think it is better that Greedo shoots first, it shows Han is cool under pressure and had the confidence that Greedo would miss. IMO it makes Han an even cooler character.

IMO, it makes Greedo look like an incredibly bad aim. Considering he's supposed to be a top notch bounty hunter, if his aim is any indication then the rest of the bounty hunters out there must really be horrible shots.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

IMO, it makes Greedo look like an incredibly bad aim. Considering he's supposed to be a top notch bounty hunter, if his aim is any indication then the rest of the bounty hunters out there must really be horrible shots.

Hmm... Not even a ship (Goto's yacht) full of bounty hunters could bring down my hero. Perhaps they *are* lousy shots :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Were they all Rodians on Go-To's yacht? Perhaps it's a species exclusive phenomenon where they can't hit something that is standing (or in Han's case, sitting) in front of them.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Were they all Rodians on Go-To's yacht?  Perhaps it's a species exclusive phenomenon where they can't hit something that is standing (or in Han's case, sitting) in front of them.

There were Duros and Gand on the yacht. The Twi'leks were there too but then don't ount since they don't have guns.

Were they all Rodians on Go-To's yacht?  Perhaps it's a species exclusive phenomenon where they can't hit something that is standing (or in Han's case, sitting) in front of them.

There were Duros and Gand on the yacht. The Twi'leks were there too but then don't ount since they don't have guns.

Indeed. If someone had shouted "smeelia!", I would've noticed. :-

manthing2.jpg

Well you know what Obi-Wan said about the remains of the Jawas in ANH:

LUKE: These are the same Jawas that sold us Artoo and Threepio.

BEN: And these blast points, too accurate for Sandpeople. Only

Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.

And we ALL know how good Imperial stormtroopers are when it comes to shot :D.

So maybe they have a different idea of what constitutes good aim in the Star Wars Universe :luck:.

I just noticed in Kotor2, one of the Rodians in the Iziz cantina says: "Damn, I forgot my blaster!" if you click on him... :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Indeed. If someone had shouted "smeelia!", I would've noticed. :blink:

Maybe Greedo is a direct descendant of Gluupor the Rodian.

On a side note, if Bioware or Obsidian really wanted to capture the Star Wars feel, they should have had Gluupor play a much larger role. I mean, he fills the role of the "cute, but dumb sidekick". He's KOTOR's version of Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks. :devil:

Oh man this again? Gotta be honest here, I don't really care who shot first. Had Greedo shot first in the 77 version and missed would that really have made much difference?

I've seen the OT about a 100 times the original way it was realesed, I still have them taped on VHS probably older than some people on these boards. I consider myself a true SW fan, and frankly I don't mind anything that people have complained about in the revisions of the OT...well ok that dancing thing in Jabba's palace in RotJ makes me cringe like watching the Exorcist for the first time; but then again RotJ makes me cringe that way pretty much anyway in any shape way or form, there is very little I like of that movie and that's the freaking ending to the story, like K2's ending a real letdown there.

In the original cut of ANH right beofre Han shoots, Greedo says "I've been looking forward to this for a long time" meaning he was about to shoot Han, so Han hardly murdered him in cold blood as many depict. Han just won the quickdraw as Greedo did the stereotipycal villain monologue which delayed him enough to be fried.

Do I think the change was necessary? No absolutely not, there was no point to change that scene at all. Am I traumatized by it or does it change the way the movies play out for me, no it doesn't do that either. At least the DVD version almost puts both Han and Greedo firing simultaneously, almost. The only reason I don't like the revision is because it's clearly a cgi mess that looks fake in the final product, had the scene been filmed like that with Ford moving to the side as Greedo fired, I wouldn't have thought any less of the scene.

Besides short of ANH, many things in the OT never panned out the way they were described in the orignal versions: Han was never a true badass in any of the following two movies, stormtroopers who were represented as crackshots and elite soldiers in ANH (Remember the intro in the Tantive 4, those guys were on fire) were defeated by Care Bears with rocks, Boba Fett did nothing except pose in the background and get swallowed (Jango at least had a little role in Ep2), Vader couldn't hold up contniuity between the movies of the OT themselves (Vader in ANH is very different from Vader in ESB), many subplots were changed midway through the movies very sloppy (Luke's revenge subplot against Vader murdering his father altered to Vader actually being his father which I didn't mind since it was done very well, the love triangle between Luke, Leia and Han was altered into Luke and Leia being twins which was just disturbing considering their kiss and also pretty much a lame repeat of the discovery that Vader was Luke's father), the Death Star ray which desintegrates planets was actually being used to target and destroy ships(Come on, that ray would have taken out half of both fleets in a single shot) and the villains couldn't come up with a better plan than trying to rebuild the same dud of a space station which was taken out by snubfighters a few years before.

So besically Greedo shooting first doesn't affect the way I see Han, the way I see the movies or the way I feel about SW. And I feel the same way about the prequels; they could have been much better sure but I don't think they were as horrible as some people say but that's just a matter of personal taste.

If there's anything I think should be changed, well how about almost everything in RotJ: get rid of Death Star part deux (Don't repeat the same thing give me something original), get rid of Ewoks (Go back to the Wookie slave revolt originally written), go back to the original duel between Vader and Luke in the Emperor's palace in Coruscant, have the darn Rebel fleet and Imperial fleet actually fight each other instead of just letting the fighters do all the work (In that fight only once do you see cap ships firing on one another for a split second), oh yeah did I mention get rid of the Ewoks! :cool:

Who shot first?Han, Greedo, HK-47 hidden in a booth...whoever. This is all just my opinion of course and I know I'm in the minority.

...was altered into Luke and Leia being twins which was just disturbing considering their kiss...

Not to mention the complications, if they had gotten a couple of kids together... :D