TSL Story From a Writers Perspective

There are errors over Malachor V.

HK-47 says its was Revan plan to get rid of the ones that would not follow him as a Sith but I dont think HK-47 knows that because on his own words he was build after it and it makes no sense Malachor V being the end of the Mandalorian Wars since HK-47 was captured by Mandalorians and sent to kill Mandalore, since it goes from Mandalore that Revan killed to Canderous Mandalore so he have to been captured during the Mandalorian wars and so before Malachor V.

So its safe to disreguard HK-47, my guess he is simply guessing what happened due to damage or because he wants to paint his idea of Revan.

What I can guess from Malachor V is that Revan used it as a way to divert Mandaloran forces away from Mandalore (it have to be, KotOR said it ended at Mandalore) and so he used the forces he had less trust on since he needed all he had to attack the Mandalorian homeworld.

Of course he had no intention of helping then, Malachor V was the end of the war because it was the last battle, I can guess as Mandalor was captured and Mandalore killed by Revan the battle of Malachor V was still and not going well to the Republic.

eheh reposting my vision...

Malachor V had 2 purposes for Revan

1) to destroy mandalorian fleet

Revan want to lure the enemy ship and to activate the generator to make them crash on the planet.

thing that actually put an end to the war, even with a lot of casualities.

2) Revan is converting his own soldier so they will follow him as a sith.

he knows about the power of the ancient academy and of malachor itself and he knows that fuelling him with an ounslaught (???) wil generate a corruption power so great that no one will stand against it.

The jedi will have no choices, they will be forced to conversion and the few ones that will try to resist will simply die for the "horror" of that place (the deaths, the corrupting energy and so on).

this point is explained by Kreia on dantooine when she say something like

Mandalorian wars was a war of conversion...

There are places where the dark force is strong and crush the will of the ones that adventure in that places... (very approssimative quote) and then....

Revan knew the power of these places and the power needed to create them.

and in another point of the game Kreia or maybe jedi masters (don't remember) tells to the exile that for a jedi was impossible to survive to the screams in the force of people crushing on Malakor.

I was referring to her suicidal need to destroy the Force, and everything that it touches.

I'm sure all Sith would be the same if they came to the realisation she did that the force has a will. That makes the Sith code not only wrong , but plays you right into the hands of the "slaver".

I disagree, I think most would happily delude themselves that they were still in control.

Yes, that is why I think Square Enix is smart of making pregenerated characters for their RPGs despite the requests of allowing character generation.

The goal of having a character driven story with full character generation is impossible, the only way to deal with it is pulling a "Bhallspawn" were the character generation is going to be somewhat limited in relation to background or pull a "Morrowind" were the character being the reincarnation of a dead hero that is supposed to do something.

In my view the "fans" are usual idiots that have no idea of what makes a game good, that comes from reading too much complaining over MGS2:SOL over Raiden with then wanting to play Solid Snake that is at this time a fully developed character and would not work in MGS2 story.

I'll pass that along next time I speak to Yuki's brother >_< Pre generated characters came in with FFII. The thing JRPGs do generally allow though is the naming of the character. Of course in the full VO world thats getting less and less possible if you want the character refered to be name.

I sort of agree with what your both getting at. Indeed if you released your character to the designers then you would get a better story as a result. But on the other hand I can play a ton of JRPGs which do just that so KOTOR II being different is a nice change even if the story isnt as tight as result.

I personally loathe the PST approach for the very reason that it can only function with a character who completely lacks a memory, or pre determined personality.

I could probably get into KOTOR done FF style (like Third Age) but probably not with the current system.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Her goal is not power, but the Death of the Force, and all that feel it. This would end up disastrous, and in the end, suicidal.

Why, though? Did I miss a reference to this in the game? Who's to say that destroying the Force will have any negative effects at all, beyond a handful of Jedis and force sensitives losing their special abilities? The Force may link all life, but it doesn't necessarily sustain it. And the exile proves that life can exist without the force.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Kreia is a lying witch and thinks she knows everything.

The films show first hand the impact of death at that scale, when the Death Star destroyed Alderan.

Yes, it have a impact for force sensatives as Ben explains but not in the scale Kreia mentions and former Sith planet or not it sould not have such a impact.

Also Revan was a Jedi until the end of the Mandalorian Wars, he became a Sith after it and no matter what Kreia says that is what happened in SW:KotOR.

Plus Mandalore was not at Malanchor V and the Mandalorians follow Mandalore, the Mandalorian Wars ended when Revan killed Mandalore and acording to SW:KotOR that happened in Mandalor, the Mandalorian homeworld.

Besides there were many Republic soldiers that returned after the Mandalorian Wars, Carth served Revan during that war and if not in error what happened after Mandalore was that Revan send his fleet into hyperspace looking for the Star Forge with the excuse it was looking for Mandalorian remains.

Revan power was inspire others to follow him, he did not need some idiot planet to be blown up to bring people to followed since he was a natural leader.

Besides he had the Star Forge, he could make a neverending army of droid troops and he did hunt down Jedi.

drakron.png

"I sort of agree with what your both getting at."

don't throw us in with drak. we disagree with his approach. we agree on the problem, but hardly 'bout the solutions. taking character generation out of the hands of the player is hardly necessary and doing so results in a game that is less an crpg and more of an adventure game.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

‘cause they know that players of crpgs want their character to be the focus of the game’s story… they want to be important and essential.  ‘course obsidian also knew that the fans wanted a chance to be good or bad or indifferent as they might choose…

Perhaps it might be better, though, to let them make this choice in a different way.

I find this whole LS/DS point-system really inadequate.

the reason you gots a protagonist with a fuzzy background is ‘cause fans want stuff that works at cross purposes, and if you not wanna use amnesia (‘cause folks complained ‘bout the overused amnesia thing following ps:t and kotor,) then you gotta find some other way to give fans what they claim to want.  personally, we thinks that obsidian approach were not a bad one… given the impossible goal.

Impossible? Why not simply give us a character without a past? Must we always have an experienced veteran with lots of stories to tell that he then has to forget about since they would also have to depend on the players preferences?

Why not play a young Padawan that still has all the choices ahead of him? Why not play a young Jedi Knight that has to choose sides in a war, like Revan's initial decision? Why not have a Force Sensitive who has the freedom to choose a teacher?

I was really afraid that Kotor 2 would be "The Return of Revan" and was glad that they chose another Main Character. But the Exile was very similar to Revan in a lot of ways. Just because everybody loved the whole "You are not a mere recruit - You are the Dark lord himself"-twist, I don't think it's necessary to conclude that a simpler approach couldn't lead to a great game. Despite the ongoing trends, I really believe that people can and like to adapt to change - at least occasionally. >_<

Well Kreia hates herself too for being weak. Without the force she is nothing but a feeble old woman and that she probably hates most of all. The fact that she relies on it so. And why she "loves" the exile because the exile represents the death of the thing she hates most, both the force and herself.

She must realise that someone trained in the way of the Sith will eventually kill her to usurp her and prove they are stronger. Equally she must relalise that a Jedi will stop her destroying the force. While the second is a somewhat pyric victory it is a victory of sorts for her. Her teachings live on in the exile and she is no longer a slave to the force.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Her goal is not power, but the Death of the Force, and all that feel it. This would end up disastrous, and in the end, suicidal.

Why, though? Did I miss a reference to this in the game? Who's to say that destroying the Force will have any negative effects at all, beyond a handful of Jedis and force sensitives losing their special abilities? The Force may link all life, but it doesn't necessarily sustain it. And the exile proves that life can exist without the force.

I don't think she want to "destroy" the force in the literal way, i'm more inclined to think she want to give to humanity a model of a man that can be complete whitout the force, an example to follow to free the bounds of the force.

During the game she is "forging" a free man, and there is also very interesting what she says on Nar Shadda...

when you feel the planet you get options to make her speak about to change the things and the manipulation.

She see the manipulation as the one of an example that can change things and as she also say even the smallest thing can generate a storm that will change the galaxy.

(my memory is crappy and i'm too lazy to quote it exatle, but is a very interesting dialogue)

"Impossible? Why not simply give us a character without a past? Must we always have an experienced veteran with lots of stories to tell that he then has to forget about since they would also have to depend on the players preferences?

Why not play a young Padawan that still has all the choices ahead of him? Why not play a young Jedi Knight that has to choose sides in a war, like Revan's initial decision? Why not have a Force Sensitive who has the freedom to choose a teacher?"

doesn't change anything. past or future, you run into same problem. you write a protagonist focused story where the protagonist can choose to be good or bad or diplomatic or sneaky and you is gonna always have problems. how you write A story for an infinite variety of characters?

yeah, if you got a story of self-discovery where the protagonist is special, then the past will always be a factor... will always be prophecies or some other such nonsense, but the problem remains with or without the issues of the past recollection.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is kinda hte whole point of the game.

Kreia is interested in the Exile because he lost his connection to hte force and strived on - it was his own presonal abilities that allowed him to survive. She also wants to know how he could just willingly walk away from the Force and live a life based on his own merit. When a Sith, she was strong and powerful. When Sion and Nihilus beat her and stole her powers, she felt how weak and frail she was. She wanted to learn how you could do something she couldn't, and at the same time, use you to destroy the Force so that such weakness would not be in her. The Force was a drug to her, she couldn't stop using it. Also, as your apprentice, she wanted to teach you the things she saw to go with your strength.

Her intention wasn't to kill the whole world - that's just silly. She just wanted to make it without the Force, the thing she hated and love so much at once.

~~~~~

EDIT: Also, I don't want to ever have JRPG style story telling on a computer - I'd hate it. That's not why I play CPRGs. If I want that, I play JRPGs. I'm not saying one style can't be put on another system, but I don't want them to replace each other (though JRPGs desperately need a new story if they are going to tell you it with no interaction!).

You know, it wasn't until actually reading this forum (after all the trolls vacated) that more of the game actually started making sense. Thanks to the OP. I played for over fiftty-three hours and, after a point, I couldn't get ANY of the characters to say anything new to me. I mean, I tried to mix it up, get different people to go over and over the same levels, just trying to get someone to talk to me. I even got a guide to tell me how to talk to the differnet characters and STILL, I couldn't get past a certain level. I got Bao-Dur really early in the game. After I got him, I never got any other speech option than, "Never mind". Ugh. Fifty-three hours and I had no idea about WHAT was in Atton's past. The influence system REALLY didn't work for me, it seems.

But that's not REALLY a story criticsm, I guess, but it does have bearing on the story and my lack of enjoyment for it.

But I think it would have been better if the opening for the PC would have been handled in such a way as to clear up certain issues in the past. I realize it's been said before, but when I started playing the game, I was actually under the impression for the first several hours that I'd missed something, maybe a cutscene somewhere. I can appreciate the writers were allowing us to fill in our own history, but I almost think this would have worked better if it was handled in the character set-up beore the game begins and then have a few slight variations on the opening, or NPC interactions with the PC to kind of start the story rolling. As such, I was rifling through the manual, looking through my guide, anything, just to get an idea of what, exactly, had gone on in the past and what I had done during my years of exile. For instance, what if we had four or five history selections to choose from? We could maybe choose to have spent our time in exile meditating, serving as a mercenary, really anything, just to then give more weight to how the NPCs reacted to us. I went through a large portion of the game thinking maybe I was a clone, maybe I had amnesia, anything, as a means of trying to explain what came across as gaps in the story. Maybe that was why the end was so disappointing for me. I had expected it all to be explained, only to discover it already was, just not in a way I was left feeling satisfied with. It was almost like I didn't have complete control over who my character was (which I can understand and is perfectly fine when done well), but also that the writing left too many gaps and didn't define the character well enough to make up for my lack of input. Wow, I would have killed for just a few cut scenes maybe showing my character on the bridge of a ship, commanding soldiers, doing SOMETHING to show me who had been, what he had done.

I think the general idea of the search for redemption was great and VERY deep, but again was lacking for me, as none of the characters actually chose to speak to me (come on, I was a nice guy...I don't think you could get more LS than I was) and then the fact that Kreia (my favorite character) had no possiblity of redemption was a little disappointing to me. I understand she served as the foil for the PC. That's obvious. But maybe actually redeeming, or even partially redeeming her in the end would have a been a nicer way of driving the LS ending (in which the character -hopefully- finds redemption) home.

And I still think I would have liked the game to pick up a bit better after the original. I played Kotor I again after beating Kotor II and, wow, I really felt something after the LS end of the first game. Which is the heart of RPGs (and to say a video game, a RPG video game, cannot be compared to a book is to really strip away the RPG heart, which has its origins in print. ), to feel something about the characters, about the story, to--for a time--play that ROLE. No, I think actually a RPG (videogame, or otherwise) can and should be compared to print. The story's there, we just make the choises to get us to the potential endings, whereas a novel has completely layed it out for the reader, there should still be a personal investment , connection with the characters and story--otherwise, what would be the point of reading/playing? I could never connect with my character and that left me feeling a little disappointed with the overall game.

-B

There are errors over Malachor V.

HK-47 says its was Revan plan to get rid of the ones that would not follow him as a Sith but I dont think HK-47 knows that because on his own words he was build after it and it makes no sense Malachor V being the end of the Mandalorian Wars since HK-47 was captured by Mandalorians and sent to kill Mandalore, since it goes from Mandalore that Revan killed to Canderous Mandalore so he have to been captured during the Mandalorian wars and so before Malachor V.

So its safe to disreguard HK-47, my guess he is simply guessing what happened due to damage or because he wants to paint his idea of Revan.

What I can guess from Malachor V is that Revan used it as a way to divert Mandaloran forces away from Mandalore (it have to be, KotOR said it ended at Mandalore) and so he used the forces he had less trust on since he needed all he had to attack the Mandalorian homeworld.

Of course he had no intention of helping then, Malachor V was the end of the war because it was the last battle, I can guess as Mandalor was captured and Mandalore killed by Revan the battle of Malachor V was still and not going well to the Republic.

Wrong. It says in several other places, too. It was to destroy/turn the 'weaker' of the Republic Army, as well as wipe out the Mandalorians.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

This is kinda hte whole point of the game.

Kreia is interested in the Exile because he lost his connection to hte force and strived on - it was his own presonal abilities that allowed him to survive. She also wants to know how he could just willingly walk away from the Force and live a life based on his own merit. When a Sith, she was strong and powerful. When Sion and Nihilus beat her and stole her powers, she felt how weak and frail she was. She wanted to learn how you could do something she couldn't, and at the same time, use you to destroy the Force so that such weakness would not be in her. The Force was a drug to her, she couldn't stop using it. Also, as your apprentice, she wanted to teach you the things she saw to go with your strength.

Her intention wasn't to kill the whole world - that's just silly. She just wanted to make it without the Force, the thing she hated and love so much at once.

~~~~~

EDIT: Also, I don't want to ever have JRPG style story telling on a computer - I'd hate it. That's not why I play CPRGs. If I want that, I play JRPGs. I'm not saying one style can't be put on another system, but I don't want them to replace each other (though JRPGs desperately need a new story if they are going to tell you it with no interaction!).

Also wrong. The Echoes will defen and/or kill all that hear them. The Jedi say this, Kreia says this, Traya says this, even the loading messages say this.

Edit: And Kreia uses the Force like she would a poison. She uses it in the hope of finding a 'cure' to it, and the Echoes were that supposed cure. However, it just served as a beacon, which is what Malachor V intended to do in the first place. :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

You know, it wasn't until actually reading this forum (after all the trolls vacated) that  more of the game actually started making sense.  Thanks to the OP.  I played for over fiftty-three hours and, after a point, I couldn't get ANY of the characters to say anything new to me.  I mean, I tried to mix it up, get different people to go over and over the same levels, just trying to get  someone to talk to me.  I even got a guide to tell me how to talk to the differnet characters and STILL, I couldn't get past a certain level.  I got Bao-Dur really early in the game.  After I got him, I never got any other speech option than, "Never mind".  Ugh.  Fifty-three hours and I had no idea about WHAT was in Atton's past.  The influence system REALLY didn't work for me, it seems.

But that's not REALLY a story criticsm, I guess, but it does have bearing on the story and my lack of enjoyment for it. 

But I think it would have been better if the opening for the PC would have been handled in such a way as to clear up certain issues in the past.  I realize it's been said before, but when I started playing the game, I was actually under the impression for the first several hours that I'd missed something, maybe a cutscene somewhere.  I can appreciate the writers were allowing us to fill in our own history, but I almost think this would have worked better if it was handled in the character set-up beore the game begins and then have a few slight variations on the opening, or NPC  interactions with the PC to kind of start the story rolling.  As such, I was rifling through the manual, looking through my guide, anything, just to get an idea of what, exactly, had gone on in the past and what I had done during my years of exile.  For instance, what if we had four or five history selections to choose from?  We could maybe choose to have spent  our time in exile meditating, serving as a mercenary, really anything, just to then give more weight to how the NPCs reacted to us.  I went through a large portion of the game thinking maybe I was a clone, maybe I had amnesia, anything, as a means of trying to explain what came across as gaps in the story.  Maybe that was why the end was so disappointing for me.  I had expected it all to be explained, only to discover it already was, just  not in a way I was left feeling satisfied with.  It was almost like I didn't have complete control over who my character was (which I can understand and is perfectly fine when done well), but also that  the writing  left too many gaps and didn't define the character well enough to make up for my lack of input.  Wow, I would have killed for just a few cut scenes maybe showing my character on the bridge of a ship, commanding soldiers,  doing SOMETHING to show me who had been, what  he had done.

I think the general idea of the search for redemption was great and VERY deep, but again was lacking for me, as none of the characters actually chose to speak to me (come on, I was a nice guy...I don't think you could get more LS than I was) and then the fact that Kreia (my favorite character) had no possiblity of redemption was a little disappointing to me.  I understand she served as the foil for the PC.  That's obvious.  But maybe actually redeeming, or even partially redeeming her in the end would have a been a nicer way of driving the LS ending (in which the character -hopefully- finds redemption) home.

And I still think I would have liked the game to pick up a bit better after the original.  I played Kotor I again after beating Kotor II and, wow, I really felt something after the LS end of the first game.  Which is the heart of RPGs (and to say a video game, a RPG video game, cannot be compared to a book is to really strip away the RPG heart, which has its origins in print. ), to feel something about the characters, about the story, to--for a time--play that ROLE.  No, I think actually a RPG (videogame, or otherwise) can and should be compared to print.  The story's there, we just make the choises to get us to the potential endings, whereas a novel has completely layed it out for the reader, there should still be a personal investment , connection with the characters and story--otherwise, what would be the point of reading/playing?  I could never connect with my character and that left me feeling a little disappointed with the overall game.

-B

I agree. The first one was like one of those choose-your-own-adventure stories, without all of the annoying page turns.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

doesn't change anything.  past or future, you run into same problem.  you write a protagonist focused story where the protagonist can choose to be good or bad or diplomatic or sneaky and you is gonna always have problems.  how you write A story for an infinite variety of characters?

yeah, if you got a story of self-discovery where the protagonist is special, then the past will always be a factor... will always be prophecies or some other such nonsense, but the problem remains with or without the issues of the past recollection.

Well, that is the challenge of making good multi-path games. And it can be done. Fallout 2, for example, lets you choose many different paths, not one of them containing an amnesiac, if memory doesn't fail me. Of course, I don't know if you would describe FO2 as a protagonist focused story, so maybe I might be writing this without knowing the proper context ...

But multi-pathing has been achieved in the past, and in a more complex way than KOTOR. It certainly involves a L O T of work and might not be the most profitable endeavour for a software company, but it is possible to provide different layers of story for different player reactions. I just don't see why it is necessary to complicate things by always giving the Main Character a complex past in addition to a complex future.

Your Shaw signature, by the way: Is that from Man and Superman?

By the way, guys ....

Wouldn't it be better to control quoting a little bit?

It is not necessary to repeat a whole (long!) post on the same page!

You should always give a link to what you refer to, but it is not required to provide text that could be easily accessed by following the link, in my oppinion. :lol:

Just a thought.

I just hate to scroll through superfluous text and would like to have as many posts on one page as possible.

Mhm Revan is mentioned specifically as not present during the battle, due to getting delayed along with part of forces... possibly on purpose but that's not really the point. The point is, it's your character that makes the final decision to spring the trap and as such responsible for it. It might've been Revan's manioulation that put them in that spot, but the decision itself was 'yours' nonetheless. To try to shift the blame on someone else would be a 'victim of society' cop-out imo.

revan set up a fight in which a lot of people would die, the exile did not. he only followed orders and fought the enemy he was given by the commander of the republic army. the same way you assume i am shifting the blame away from the exile, you are shifting the blame away from the one who was truly at fault, revan.

note for kbned, plz when you quote put the name and the contest of the quote, in your other post it seem that i'm telling you are an idiot.
done. changed the quote to name 213374U as the poster.

Revan was at fault, but perhaps there was a purpose. He/she seems to be the type of person that doesn't even blink without some grand purpose behind it.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

then why do you give me your opinion of me? you obviously think higher of your opinion than mine implying them unequal. while its true we strive to be equal, a genius has the same one vote an inbred drunk has, we are most definitely not equal. you sir are a moron, not equal to me or my opinion.

I give you my opinion because it's the only one I have. That is how discussions proceed. Perhaps you are accustomed to something else where you spout some crap through your mouth and the rest of your interbred relatives agree without even thinking, but in the real world kid, that's not how things work.

And yes, I agree with you that some opinions are more valid than others, but NOT on subjective matters such as this one. You would have gathered as much if you weren't so busy being a ****.

You are right on something though. I'm not your equal. I'm obviously your superior. So next time, have some respect towards your betters. :lol:

[EDITED FOR CONTENT]

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"JRPGs" simply deal with the story being character centered by making all characters pre-generated.

It allows then to go over all the little details and create a complete character with his own notivation, skills, goals, attitude, etc ...

By doing so the story is tight and complete.

The downside is there is no freedom, you follow the story as it progress and have not much of a input on it leads, also there is the risk the player will dislike the main character and so unable to want too see the story progression.

And another thing, "JRPG storytelling" have been in the PC for a long time, its usually adventure games (and not RPGs) that use that type of storytelling since its the ideal way to tell a story.

Of course we have seen a good amount of "JRPGs" in PC as well ... Septerra Core, Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse, Betrayal at Krondor, Betrayal in Antara and Return to Krondor all use "JRPG" storytelling system.

drakron.png

The downside is there is no freedom, you follow the story as it progress and have not much of a input on it leads, also there is the risk the player will dislike the main character and so unable to want too see the story progression.

Actually thats not strictly true. You do have freedom in a lot of them and your actions will have huge consequences. Though not in the more obvious manner of regluar CRPGs. Generally though it is a series of cutscenes with the character doing their own thing, because a character with a memory of their own dosnt really need to be roleplayed.

Thats always the flaw with any pre gen character. If people dont like the character they are unlikely to enjoy the game.

Although Tidus really grew on me over the duration of FFX. Never did like Cloud much though which could be why I've never completed FVII.

478327[/snapback]