TSL Story From a Writers Perspective

Although Tidus really grew on me over the duration of FFX. Never did like Cloud much though which could be why I've never completed FVII.

I never completed FF X-2 because I simply could not relate to the whole "Girl Power JPop style" that was going on ... did managed to reach the concert in Tunder Plains but that part was just waaayyyy too much for me to continue.

drakron.png

I never completed FF X-2 because I simply could not relate to the whole "Girl Power JPop style" that was going on ... did managed to reach the concert in Tunder Plains but that part was just waaayyyy too much for me to continue.

I enjoyed FFX-2 , not as much as X but then X-2 has my favourite ,the job system.

I think I found it easier because I'd gotten to know the characters over X , otherwise the prospect of playing a game based around three girls probably wouldnt have appealed, despite being able to dress them up in skimpy little outifits. :(

1000 words is worth getting to that part of the game alone.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I enjoyed FFX-2 , not as much as X but then X-2 has my favourite ,the job system.

I think I found it easier because I'd gotten to know the characters over X , otherwise the prospect of playing a game based around three girls probably wouldnt have appealed, despite being able to dress them up in skimpy little outifits. :)

1000 words is worth getting to that part of the game alone.

Hm, I thought FFX was a horrible game. I did enjoy FFX-2, though. And not just because of the beloved FFV job system reborn <3

Yep. You nailed it. THIS is the point this whole discussion was meant to lead up to from the very beginning. OK, folks, we're done here. Let's get the equipment on the truck and go. They have found the perfect answer - and that, amazingly, without getting off the topic. AT ALL.

Yep. You nailed it. THIS is the point this whole discussion was meant to lead up to from the very beginning. OK, folks, we're done here. Let's get the equipment on the truck and go. They have found the perfect answer - and that, amazingly, without getting off the topic. AT ALL.

Psh, staying on topic is asking too much from non-linear gamers!

I give you my opinion because it's the only one I have. That is how discussions proceed. Perhaps you are accustomed to something else where you spout some crap through your mouth and the rest of your interbred relatives agree without even thinking, but in the real world kid, that's not how things work.

And yes, I agree with you that some opinions are more valid than others, but NOT on subjective matters such as this one. You would have gathered as much if you weren't so busy being a ****.

You are right on something though. I'm not your equal. I'm obviously your superior. So next time, have some respect towards your betters.  :)

[EDITED FOR CONTENT]

quit trolling, your insults and logic isnt worth replying to.

I thought it worked out rather well. I liked playing a veteran but also being able to make up my own mind as to what had happened.

Yeah, it was OK. But after Kotor 1, there was a certain feeling of Deja Vu(supported by Telos~Taris, etc. ), at least in the beginning.

I think that the whole mystery-main-character theme is a nice idea, but it is also a little overused. And since we had the "big ?" in game one, I would have chosen a completely different angle for game two. Not because it was a bad idea or badly executed - just for variety's sake.

What happened to the boy who, leaving a burned-down village and clutching his dead father's sword to his breast, travels to the big city to become the greatest wizard/warrior/whatever of all time, marries the princess and lives happily ever after? Guess he was slain by the mysterious stranger with the defective memory in the course of one of the latter's covered operations conducted during his shady and moraly ambivalent past. :)

screw it, this forum is getting shut down any day now anyway. flaming a troll aint gonna hurt. (all quotes are from this moron that i'm replying to)

There are no better or worse opinions.
this is why i asked why you gave me your opinion if it is no better or worse than my own. your statement is obviously false but i was using your own logic against you. you lose.
That is how discussions proceed. Perhaps you are accustomed to something else where you spout some crap through your mouth and the rest of your interbred relatives agree without even thinking, but in the real world kid, that's not how things work.
now you either realize your statement is false and pretend you never said it or you're a moron. i prefer to think of you as a moron.
And yes, I agree with you that some opinions are more valid than others, but...
but nothing, dont say what you dont mean. you've contradicted yourself and instead pass off the blame to someone else.
You are right on something though. I'm not your equal. I'm obviously your superior. So next time, have some respect towards your betters.
the only thing you seem to be superior at is being a complete moron. i know moron is a bad choice of words but i'd piss off witchzenka again if i called you what i wanted to call you.

Be honest: You enjoy this a little bit, don't you? :)

I think the kid is already addicted to public bashings.

But you ought to be careful or the two of you will become friends in the end.

At least give him some credit for his stamina.

Be honest: You enjoy this a little bit, don't you? :)

You have no idea. I think I'm actually addicted to this stuff.

its actually the other way around. he's a forum troll baiting for a flame. i have a habbit of flaming trolls...

Okay, I know you are in no way a standard dumbass, in fact you are an extraordinary dumbass, but I have better things to do than come up with creative flames, so I'll just use the form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STANDARD DUMBASS REPLY FORM (version 1.0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(check all boxes that apply)

Dear:

[ ] Llama

[ ] Clueless Newbie

[ ] Lamer

[ ] Flamer

[ ] "Me too"-er

[ ] Pervert

[ ] Spammer

[ ] Racist

[ ] Jackass

[ ] Stereotypical AOLer

[ ] Freak

[ ] Troller

[ ] Fundamentalist

[ ] Satanist

[ ] "Expert"

[x] Pool of Slime

[ ] Redneck

[ ] Shameless Punk

[ ] Twit

[ ] Wannabe

[x] Waste of Skin

[ ] Other: __________________________

You Are Being Flamed Because:

[x] You obviously don't know anything about the topic at hand

[ ] You posted something involving legal crap.

[ ] You quoted an ENTIRE post in your reply

[ ] You started a long, stupid thread

[ ] You continued spreading a long, stupid thread

[x] Your lack of understanding of the fundamentals is disgusting

[ ] You posted a racist message

[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message

[ ] You posted low-IQ flamebait

[ ] You posted a blatantly obvious troll

[ ] You followed up to a blatantly obvious troll

[ ] You said "X rules, Y sucks" and gave no support for your lame statement

[ ] You said "me too" to something

[x] You make no sense

[ ] You made a post yet failed to say anything

[ ] Your sig/alias/server is dreadful

[ ] Your post contained nothing but psycho-babble.

[ ] You are claiming that you know more than Newton, Ohm, Pavlov, etc.

[ ] Your margin settings (or lack of) make your post unreadable

[ ] You made a baseless assertion

[ ] You posted SCREAMING in RANDOM CAPS (OR IN ALL CAPS) for NO APPARENT REASON

[ ] YoU tYpEd SoMeThInG lAmE lIkE tHiS

[ ] You say your

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

uhh dude, a "dumbass reply form" means you're a dumbass and you use that form to reply... you're not even giving me a chance to "score points"... btw, i dont know if they have a readme with that form but you should only use the actual replies that you check, not the whole thing.

uhh dude, a "dumbass reply form" means you're a dumbass and you use that form to reply... you're not even giving me a chance to "score points"...

SHUT THE F**K UP, KID! Nobody wants to hear another word from you! I built you a nice little house in the garden. Now go outside and play!

uhh dude, a "dumbass reply form" means you're a dumbass and you use that form to reply... you're not even giving me a chance to "score points"... btw, i dont know if they have a readme with that form but you should only use the actual replies that you check, not the whole thing.

0139.jpg

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

uhh dude, a "dumbass reply form" means you're a dumbass and you use that form to reply... you're not even giving me a chance to "score points"...

SHUT THE F**K UP, KID! Nobody wants to hear another word from you! I built you a nice little house in the garden. Now go outside and play!

way to join in the fun, you're one of us now. no more innocent or guilty than us. you're actually prolonging this with the thread you made and this post by inflating his ego. a troll does this kind of thing for attention, only way to make it go back where it came from is ignore it. i dont really mind the guy but if you do then i suggest ignore both of us.

Why don't you all just kind of cool down. I'd really be interested in discussing the writing of this game and how we felt about it.

Personally, I'd like to discuss the whole PC as a character with a past, particularly as that past is not clearly defined at the onset. I've seen it mentioned in this thread before that even when reading novels, you don't know an entire character's past. Well, that's true, but you typically get to know the character, which I never felt I did in this game. Again, I feel it had a great deal to do with the writers going either too far or not far enough in determining who your character was.

And it isn't entirely accurate that your character in KOTOR I had amnesia. He was programmed. You see, when you start the game, you character doesn't realize who he is, and that's fine because your character post-reprogramming past isn't relevant. You know he's of the class you selected when you built him and you go in to it expecting to learn the rest of the pertinent details (as in a good novel). However, in KOTOR 2 your past is very significant to who you are and the eventual threat to the universe. But when that past isn't made immediately available to the reader, it becomes something that must be solved over the course of the game. But all this does is prevent us from truly connecting withthe character. In other words, that illusion that the character and I are the same person, that I'm Role Playing in the game is lost. It becomes more like Splinter Cell. I dont' know everything about Sam Fisher, but what Ido need to know will likely be revealed to me, while the rest won't.

And I guess that's my point. Maybe I was detecting a subtle genre blending. Maybe this had a number of RPG conventions on the surface (building and naming your character), but was deceptively action-oriented under the surface. Actually, the more I think about it, the more this makes sense. But myargument still stands. Again, you're stuck in the middle. You're not really this character, but you kind of are. This isn't really a Star Wars character you're playing (a la Sam Fisher), but one you've created. I don't like the gray area.

And, futhermore, to say it's difficult to write a story to bridge the gap between the myriad ways of ending the first game is an understatment. But at the risk of sounding glib, that's the writers' jobs. That's what their paid to do. And it can be done. I mean, sixty years of sequential comics are a good indicator of that. Geeze, if they really worried about making a game match the ending of KOTOR I, they could have just asked what happened when I was building my character. So, I don't really buy the argument it was too difficult to mesh the end of the first with the start of the second. It could have been done.

-B

So, I don't really buy the argument it was too difficult to mesh the end of the first with the start of the second.  It could have been done.

Of course it could have been done. But it would have made the workload even heavier! To really "get" the ending of Kotor 1, you would have to ask for more variables than "light/dark" - "male/female". And it is hard enough to design a branching future without having to worry about a branching past.

Personally, I liked the in-game questions as a measure to define Revan a little bit. And it also made possible that new players with no idea of game one's content could make a choice, even if they didn't really understand what it referred to. Better than being confronted with it at the beginning:

"Welcome, new player:"

"1) Should your 'Revan' be : a) male b) female

"2) Would you like him/her to be a) light side b) dark side"

"3) If you don't know what a 'Revan' is, then LA strongly suggests buying KOTOR 1 (available through mail order)

And now, enjoy the show!

kbned - you are a troll.  As such, I have no trouble flaming you or enjoying it when others do. 

The most trollish behavior exhibited on this thread can be laid at your doorstep.

flaming a troll and being a troll are two different things. my first post in this thread was completely on topic and flamed no one. its a controversial topic, thats why this thread turned to flaming so quickly. it was not flame bait, it was an opinion on the dialog and story of the game.

you're no exception, you flamed the thread starter because he had the nerve to say he might know what he's talking about. you're as much of a cause to the problems of this thread as anyone else who flamed is. i would not call you a forum troll but you did flame what you mistook for a forum troll. i flamed actual forum trolls and a few thatt were not trolls but were flamming what they thought to be trolls.