Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's your opinion of bugs?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Depends on the severity of the bugs.

For exmaple, BL's bugs are pretty big. The memory leak - not sure if that's considered an actual bug - really effected my overall enjoyment of the game. The Leopold Bug would have bothered me as that's a game ender though I was lucky enough not to have it.

NWN has its shre of bugs; but most of them - there are some notable exemptions - don't really bother me as they tend to be of the annoying minor variety. ie. a weapon in the hands of a dwarf doing x instead of y damage when used to attack orcs. R00fles!

Percival

Percival

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
Yes, in PnP you could do different things, but crpgs are limited. And once again, I'll disagree about the last part of the game sucking because of the increased fighting. Fighting against the Sabbat and the rest of the lot was done properly, from my perspective. No amount of talking or any social skill should have convinced the Sabbat to go on their merry way, with them being quite afraid of grandpa waking. And I had no trouble sneaking through the society... and I was brujah clan.

The parts I do agree to sucking was the Kuei-jin part, which could have been done better, but it didnt really put me off that much.

However, what did put me off was the warrens, which sucked a lot, and was probably the worst part of the game - it reminded me of FPS games, and why I despise them. Otherwise, I found the last part of the game well done - for a computer game mind you. It wouldnt however have killed them to implement one of the options listed (getting some vampire hunters to clean house, etc), but you cant ask too much.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
Well, it's not only that there were lots of combat. The fact that there were like 4 sidequests in the last part of the game doesn't help much either. I like a bit more of role-playing in my CRPG. :p

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Bloodlines sucked because the crappy anticlimax for an ending(dont get me started again). And regarding bugs, they're part of the "tech" category which is removed from my other points of judgement- like KoTOR crashed to desktop every other area load and changed graphics settings all on its own, but I still think it was a great game.

But a gamestopper is an unforgivable offense. They should decimate(roman style) their QA department as punishment.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6551 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have hours upon hours of Daggerfall under my belt. That has given me a high tolerance of bugs.

To this day the only bug that really affected me was the love letters bug in Torment. I had to restart Torment from the beginning because of it.

Niten_Ryu

Niten_Ryu

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 933 posts
Bugs don't matter that much to me (Unless we are talking about end of Anarchy Online beta amount of bugs) but generally if I know that some game is buggy (like Troika games by defeault), I'll wait few months to few years (it depends how many patches and how much patches fix or bargain bin) before I buy the game.

Loof

Loof

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Bugs dont bother me if there is a way around them either through tweeking or patching.
If I can't get around them on the other hand I can get pretty uppset about it. Fallout 2 comes to mind ... that was a hell of a bugy game when it first came out... but then it was a superb game when they finaly got it patched.

So I'm fine with buggy games as long as it gets fixed, but can get pretty irritated while waiting for said patch/fix...

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

I won't touch a Troika game because of their bug-infested software.  After ToEE I know better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, True. You see where the arrow is pointing in the Troika logo? Faaaar away from "Code". :devil: Nah, I like their games anyway. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The design and art ARE awful nice though. :p

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
The only bugs that really bother me are the game stopping ones. Or when there are enough bugs to make it feel like I'm walking on a mine-field (you never know when the game just blows up in your face). Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a good example. I was having a blast until I had to board that boat and was greeted by my own desktop image.

Alien_77

Alien_77

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Steam:ED-E
  • Kickstarter Backer

The design and art ARE awful nice though.  >_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No question about it. ;)

~NightWolf~

~NightWolf~

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 37 posts

The Xbox seems bug prone for some reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because it's made by Microsoft. :p

Bugs don't really bother me a lot, as long as I can play the game from beginning to end I'm fine with it. After all, nothing is ever perfect.

roguefrog

roguefrog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Steam:roguefrog
  • PSN Portable ID:roguefrog
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's the lousy QA work that allowed those bugs to be in the final pruduct in the first place...

This is not always true. QA more so than not does their job aka "covers their own asses." It is ultimately the Producers decision to push the a game through with all the bugs left unfixed to meet ship dates. Remember, QA just documents the bugs. They can't fix them. That's the programmers job, and the programmers can't fix them if they aren't given the time to. The idea that lots of bugs are left unfixed due to time constraits (sometimes even "A" bug crash/locks) is a reality.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
Yeah. Ultimately it's the greedy shareholders fault for wanting their money NOW. :blink:
Call it what you will, I don't care. It's not the bugs themselves that bother me, it's the fact that, for whatever reasons, somebody didn't do their job.

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts
just imagine how much better a lot of these games mentioned would have been if they were given even 2 extra months of bug fixing instead of being released when they were. kotor2 is a prime example, and i think bloodlines can fit in that category too, as a few of the "bugs" in bloodlines has been fixed or improved upon in a patch that only took a month to do.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

i think bloodlines can fit in that category too, as a few of the "bugs" in bloodlines has been fixed or improved upon in a patch that only took a month to do.

The funny thing about that is that Bloodlines wasn't rushed. It was finished about a month before release date. It couldn't be released though due to the agreement Valve had with VU that prevented anything using the Source engine to be released before HL2 hit the shelves. Somebody would think that they could have used that extra month to polish the game... but no.

As I said, funny. <_<

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
I rarely run into bugs with games or if I do I just don't notice them. I may have run into a few with KotOR which I'm currently playing or it could just be my graphics card which is limping along towards it's inevitable death.

Unless the bug is gamestopping or is performance related I don't really care all that much. For example when I first started KotOR whenever I moved underneath or out from underneath a roof in the uppercity of Taris I would get major slowdown and when it did return to normal I would be on the opposite side of the map because my character didn't stop running when the game was frozen. That kind of bug really get's to me.

That and the huge slowdown with anything over 10k people in Simcity 4.

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts

The funny thing about that is that Bloodlines wasn't rushed. It was finished about a month before release date. It couldn't be released though due to the agreement Valve had with VU that prevented anything using the Source engine to be released before HL2 hit the shelves. Somebody would think that they could have used that extra month to polish the game... but no.

As I said, funny. <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true. bloodlines might not be the best example, since it was actually finished well before actual release and was just waiting for hl-2 to release first (or at the same time). but still, another 2 months of actual fixing would have been beneficial, and i believe most games that are considered "buggy" would be much better if they had just that extra bit of time.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

just imagine how much better a lot of these games mentioned would have been if they were given even 2 extra months of bug fixing instead of being released when they were.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

unfortunately, the game i wish had more time was toee, and it needed more than just bug fixing. it needed content. story. something. anything. bugs were almost a side issue once the boredom of the underlying game set in (i did like the combat, however).

TAKS

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

true.  bloodlines might not be the best example, since it was actually finished well before actual release and was just waiting for hl-2 to release first (or at the same time).  but still, another 2 months of actual fixing would have been beneficial, and i believe most games that are considered "buggy" would be much better if they had just that extra bit of time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same for Arcanum.. Troika just dont seem to be very good at the technical side of games making.

I dont think developers wrap the project up early enough to devote time exclusively to hunting down bugs. Perhaps they should but thats easier said than done.

Think of it like this. If you havnt got your roof on yet, that your roof might have a leak or two is the least of your worries...

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Quit frankly, I don't think giving devs an extra month or two will fix the bug issue. Why? Simple. The devs will just use that time to add new content anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users