Random Loot Generator

"I'm all for realism in that sort of things, but then again, how do you justify carrying around 25 armors and 500 lightsabers?"

You don't. That's why you limits. Eitehr weight wise by strength or by 'backpack' wise. Or both. Almost every other CRPG I have ever seen has some sort of limit on what you can carry. Afterall, it's very logical.

As for pnp, do you carry every single piece of junk wepaon you find off your enemies? I sure hope not.. at least not once you reach a certain level of monetary satisfaction.

Any player who needs to have the ability to carry unlimited supplies of weapons, and and armour should simply deal with it. Pack rats should not be catred to. Perhaps, you should pick and choose what you grab instead of just stuffing everything that can move into your never ending rnage.

Geez.. Even NWN's 6 or so pages of allowed items is silly to me. It should be 1; maybe 2 if I'm feeling nice.

And, it works in both pnp and crpgs has it has done rather well for years.

"hence you can't have the same rules, period."

Hahah. This is cute coming from you. :luck:

It's not about having the same rules, however; but it's about the rules making sense. KOTOR's inventory rules simply don't make sense. NWN's is betetr. Not greta; but better. Games like the IE and even *gosh* Diablo are even better than that. FO is almost as bad as KOTOR with its bottomless pit.

Meh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I'm all for realism in that sort of things, but then again, how do you justify carrying around 25 armors and 500 lightsabers?"

You don't. That's why you limits. Eitehr weight wise by strength or by 'backpack' wise. Or both. Almost every other CRPG I have ever seen has some sort of limit on what you can carry. Afterall, it's very logical.

As for pnp, do you carry every single piece of junk wepaon you find off your enemies? I sure hope not.. at least not once you reach a certain level of monetary satisfaction.

Any player who needs to have the ability to carry unlimited supplies of weapons, and and armour should simply deal with it. Pack rats should not be catred to. Perhaps, you should pick and choose what you grab instead of just stuffing everything that can move into your never ending rnage.

Geez.. Even NWN's 6 or so pages of allowed items is silly to me. It should be 1; maybe 2 if I'm feeling nice.

And, it works in both pnp and crpgs has it has done rather well for years.

Hahah. This is cute coming from you. :rolleyes:

It's not about having the same rules, however; but it's about the rules making sense. KOTOR's inventory rules simply don't make sense. NWN's is betetr. Not greta; but better. Games like the IE and even *gosh* Diablo are even better than that. FO is almost as bad as KOTOR with its bottomless pit.

Meh.

I agree Volourn. Fortunately in TSL, you can break down your excess/unwanted trash into components which can then be used at the workbench. :rolleyes:

manthing2.jpg

or missed out on being able to return it when they had the chance to do so

I'm not sure what it's like in Canada, but most places in the US don't allow game returns.

OK I know there has been a few people who have asked how do you return software once it has already been opened (due to copywright laws and all... well all laws have loop holes the trick is knowing them and using them to your advantage). well its quite simple in fact it can be sumed up in very few words "Wal-Mart" (or any store really, but I like screwing with wal-mart so we will use it for this example). Quite simple in how this works, Buy the game try it and if it sucks well simeple return it saying the game is screwed (just pick something off the top of your head as to what might be wrong with said game doesn't really need to be true but it does help to sell the fact if it is) and ask for a different disk (new disk perferable one in the wrapper still with price tags and such still on it) then either take it to another store in the chain saying you have another one in your area, if not don't worry just leave with your new disk and then return later that day or sometime in the near future to the same store. Keep the recipt if your going to do this at any other chain other than wal-mart since they require the recipt for you to get anything other than store credit. Where as Wal-mart will allow you to return upto three things over $20 in a 12 month period without needing a recipt. Now I know a lot of people are going to frown on this and say its wrong but quite frankly who cares they get their games back and I get my money back so thats life. Also if you buy the game at another store it still works to take it back to wal-mart the only thing you have to do before you walk upto the return counter is go to the electronics section and check to make sure they cary that game in stock.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Hahah. This is cute coming from you. :thumbsup:

I knew you would like it. However this is one of those few changes that actually favor game balance instead of destroying it. Besides, it's not the core ruleset we're talking about here. You almost managed to get me confused. Almost. :devil:

Still, it's unrealistic that the characters can carry 3 or 4 heavy weapons, 2 armors, a ton of ammo, grenades, and stimpacks, and be able to fight as if they were carrying nothing apart from their weapon. The only RPG i've seen come close to 'realistic' inventory management was Deus Ex. It had really strict size (and weight perhaps?) limits and if you wanted to carry even two heavy weapons, you wouldn't have any size left at all. And still it was somewhat unrealistic. I don't think you want Counter-Strike sized inventories, do you? :blink:

You want the rules to make sense? Me too. But having every thing you kill drop their stuff and then being able to carry inhuman amounts of thrash just doesn't make sense.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Still, it's unrealistic that the characters can carry 3 or 4 heavy weapons, 2 armors, a ton of ammo, grenades, and stimpacks, and be able to fight as if they were carrying nothing apart from their weapon."

Yes. But, I'd rather have that than absolutely no limits. It's called compromise. Like I said, reasonably limit what can be carried would be fine. KOTOR1&2 don't even try to.

I mean, NWN even has limits of what you can carry - by weight and 'backpack'. Though; its backpack is huge. heh. but, at least there *are* limits.

"I don't think you want Counter-Strike sized inventories, do you?"

How would I know if Id want it or not? Haven't played CS so can't judge its inventory system. LOL

"But having every thing you kill drop their stuff and then being able to carry inhuman amounts of thrash just doesn't make sense."

The former makes me sense. The latter does not. In my NWN module which I keep talking about but haven't finished (LOL); enemies drop what they have. If you see them using an ax; it drops. Only in extremely rare cases they don't; and when that occurs; it's literally most likely because of magic or something else supernatural happening. If players want to pack rats and pick everything up; that's their business. I'm gonna balance the game for 'normal" people; not pack rats. Sorry.

As I said, I would like to see every guy and his dog to drop their stuff when they die AND have realistic inventory management. That however would result in players leaving behind huge loads of useless garbage.

So, you want them to drop their things just so you can *look* at them and then go on about your business? :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well, first off the inventory system needs major reworking. If they implemented a Weight/bulk system along with realistic baddie inventory Things are going to be pretty balanced. As someone pointed out earlier you have teh Ebon Hawk's storage space. Why not set up a system that actually forces the player to use it. There isn't going to be a perfect system but their are plenty of systems out there better than the Random Loot Gneration and endless invenotries.

"So, you want them to drop their things just so you can *look* at them and then go on about your business?"

I want the option. That would be my choice. the Pack Rats tm would pick them up if they can. Good for them. Also, early on in agme when the character isn't rich, I tend to be a pack rat too. See, it's all about options and growth.

Good stuff. :p

I have to concur with Volourn.  It just makes good sense.  Besides once you reach the higher levels and wealth, why bother picking up a blaster?

Well, cuz it's there. Ba hahaha!

Having a more realistic inventory system (encumbrance limits, character inventories instead of universal inventories every party member can access -- even when they're off on separate side trips, a place to store gear you don't want to carry, wear and damage to gear) would be a good thing in a SW RPG.

But just not for the third installment of what's shaping up to be a trilogy. The developers should be socking away these ideas to use while developing a more hardcore SW RPG after KOTOR3. For 3, they oughta stick to the engine they have with tweaks were they're needed.

For KOTOR 3, though, something should be done about obvious inconsistencies in the Random Loot Generator like finding a double-bladed sword in a Gizka's belly. That's why I like Hades' idea of having multiple random loot lists to be used in different situations. It's simple, elegant and seems like it would be fairly easy to implement in the existing game. While I'm sure a lot of us who lurk in here would appreciate a more realistic inventory management system, KOTOR's also designed for more casual players and I don't think it would be good form or wise marketing to yank an easy-to-manage game system out from under them while they're in the middle of a three-part story.

Plus, wholesale redesigns seem like they would really delay the release of 3. I wanna get on with the story.

Just to defend Obsidian (a stance that is unjustly becoming the devil's advocate around here), I thought I'd mention that Bao-Dur does make a statement on Telos about Cannoks and how they'll eat anything. If I remember right, the context was "Don't be surprised if you find some awesome weapon lodged in their gullet, because they eat just about anything they come across.

And who knows, maybe the Cannoks devour their prey weapons and all. Maybe a absolutely terrible Jedi got chomped by one and it swallowed his/her lightsaber. What an embarrassing way to go. :lol:"

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Just to defend Obsidian (a  stance that is unjustly becoming the devil's advocate around here), I thought I'd mention that Bao-Dur does make a statement on Telos about Cannoks and how they'll eat anything. If I remember right, the context was "Don't be surprised if you find some awesome weapon lodged in their gullet, because they eat just about anything they come across.

And who knows, maybe the Cannoks devour their prey weapons and all. Maybe a absolutely terrible Jedi got chomped by one and it swallowed his/her lightsaber. What an embarrassing way to go.  o:)"

Eating a double bladed Sith War blade which is about twice as long as the creatures stomach has got to give a serious case of indigestion. ^_^

When Bao-Dur explained that "the cannoks eat whatever they find" I was expecting one or two small items like repair kits or whatnot - little did I know I'd find a blessed armory! :lol:

Oh, and a note to the PC users :

It's not just loot drops which are random; merchant/vendors shop inventory is random as well. Honestly, I don't know if I can get to grips with this random sh!t. On my first playthrough I found all the best items from KotOR on the first bloody level, whilst on my next playthrough all the loot found AND the stuff in the shops was trash. :lol:

manthing2.jpg

This random loot generator is frustrating as hell. On my playthrough as ls I got several dark side robes and no light side robes, but of course on my ds playthrough I got several light side robes (even master robes) but no dark side until the last ten minutes of the game :lol: I mean they could have least included a basic robe in your

room/cell onboard the harbinger where you find your arm thing?!

On top of that I always get at least 6-8 jay-shel robes which I hate :lol:

And Obsidian seemed to be so busy making this random loot generator that they forgot to include some good vendors, the few they have in there have only crap stuff and is also random......

I don't know how it's like in your part of the USA, but most places in NYC or anywhere in the Tri-State area allow you to return games.

Yeah? :ermm: That doesn't work out here on the Island. >_<

I've returned games in various stores in Long Island before. Mostly Gamestop and EBgames allow you to do so.