Why?

If you can overlook the clipping and lag during big fights, the occasional warping 60 meters, load freezes, dialogue/story loop holes, long and frequent load times, a confusing influence system at best, and one of the most piss poor endings, then yes, perhaps it is a good game.

- dr cloak

If you can overlook the clipping and lag during big fights, the occasional warping 60 meters, load freezes, dialogue/story loop holes, long and frequent load times, a confusing influence system at best, and one of the most piss poor endings, then yes, perhaps it is a good game.

- dr cloak

I've seen worse :)"

Because all the gamers who have it so far have it for the X-Box, and a) the X-Box system specs suck b) a certain percentage of X-Box gamers think that Planescape: Torment is a real estate development's worst nightmare, that Baldur's Gate is a chastity belt, that Baldur's Gate II is the chastity belt's chastity belt and that Icewind Dale is Santa's village.

But I'm not bitter over the X-Box getting the game first. Nope. Not at all.

Good points there Bardic. I own both PC and Console, and obviously favor PC as well. However, I doubt that the PC version of K2 will save the game as a whole. It will eliminate minor glitches such as the frame rate issues and load times, but not much else.

- dr cloak

Good points there Bardic.  I own both PC and Console, and obviously favor PC as well.  However, I doubt that the PC version of K2 will save the game as a whole.  It will eliminate minor glitches such as the frame rate issues and load times, but not much else.

- dr cloak

Well, pretty much any oddball game glitch that might occur, as you see on the Technical Issues forum (T3 falling in hold and can't move, save gaems being removed, dialogue sequences not making sense) can all be fixed in one patch for the PC. The main issues for the PC is that everybody has different vid card drivers. So the game might have texture mess ups, and have a bad appearance. The worst thing that could happen to the PC version is that it crashes and freezes alot, like many many people complained about Kotor 1 PC. Hopefully they are fixing that this time around.

Well, I hope they get the PC version right.  And the first patch better contain a revised/revamped ending.  Obsidian should be ashamed of themselves.  I'm venturing to say the ending sequence took them around a half hour of work.

- dr cloak

am I the only one who thought the same thing about KOTOR1's lightside ending? I know it was reminiscient of Episode IV, but it felt like a quickie to me. I liked the darkside ending better, but it wasn't the best. ending. evar. either. However, the journey made and characters developed made the game my absolute favorite. I'm finding the characters in this game just as compelling.

In reality neither the endings from KOTOR were good or satisfactory.

LS: What happened between you and Bastila?

DS: It was nice seeing all te ships around the SF but only 10 soldiers to salute you? and WHO gave Bastila the right to make all the anouncements????

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I think this game is my GotY -- for real.

have you played it?

of course! I got it on Day 1 for Xbox, being a fan of the first -- in fact, the original is currently my favorite RPG to-date. Anyway, I have not had the game-breaking technical issues others have had, at about 20+ hours into the game on Difficult. Sure, the game could have used more polish, but as is, I can't play it enough. My only gripe is that the loading screens are still long enough to suck, but that seemed more of a problem near the beginning....

DS: It was nice seeing all te ships around the SF but only 10 soldiers to salute you? and WHO gave Bastila the right to make all the anouncements????

or hell, Why is she there, for those that killed her in mortal combat, but went with the LS ending? I didn't kill her in any of my plays through, but I know others did, and were kinda confused when she's in the ending sequence regardless -- maybe it was her super-imposed ghost? ;p

It would have been great for a more thorough ending sequence, but seriously, the journey is so well done.

PC gamers... I will never understand them. Sure they might get better resolution and framerate but what it boils down to is story. The PC gamers will get the same exact story that we Xboxers got and they will discover the enormous plot holes and annoying cliff hanger ending. Sure the framerate is bad among other things but it's all about the story.

But I loved the game as a whole... simply amazing :D

or hell, Why is she there, for those that killed her in mortal combat, but went with the LS ending? I didn't kill her in any of my plays through, but I know others did, and were kinda confused when she's in the ending sequence regardless -- maybe it was her super-imposed ghost? ;p

It would have been great for a more thorough ending sequence, but seriously, the journey is so well done.

You are not alone ,I am too don't kill her

But dev's decide what the LS is mercy

My opinion...

Kotor 1 > Kotor 2

Bioware > Obsidian

K2 is good, but jeez, in a couple of months, after the 'newness' and 'hype' wears off, many of you will see that K2 succumbs to K1 in terms of overall gameplay/mechanics.

Lucas must really be hurting for cash. I mean, they couldn't even grant a 3 or 6 month extension to the small development team? What gives? A summer release would have ensured K2 overpowering K1 and winning GoTY.

- dr cloak

I'm not through with the game yet, so I can't say whether the ending is good or bad, or if people just aren't "getting it".

I can say that the game is very, very good. I have had very few technical problems...three times since I got the game it's frozen between levels, and there have been a couple other spots where secondary NPCs didn't recognize quests resolving (but never in any way that prevented the quest from being completed).

So far the story beats the original KotOR, as do the complexity of the playable characters. The game theory behind setting the backstory as consistant with the player is rock solid, as well.

They're both excellent games, and I think people have to remember, when comparing the two games, that you shouldn't be saying Bioware is better than Obsidian or vice-versa based on this outing because Bioware probably would have never been in a position to design KotOR in the first place if it wasn't for Feargus and the Black Isle people who now work for Obsidian...any one who cares to remember the original Baldur's Gate, Bioware's first game, will know that it was...a flawed outing at best. Comparatively, The Sith Lords is much better, but the two groups have been drawing ideas and technical advancements from each other for a very long time, so it really isn't a fair comparison.

In my mind, each group specializes in a certain area...Bioware does solid gameplay and genre-bulding, while Black Isle/Obisidian are the guys with the great story ideas and dark complexity. Which is better for the "Empire Strikes Back" of the KotOR series? Personally I find the latter are, but that doesn't take anything from Bio.

Drac

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

I'm not through with the game  yet, so I can't say whether the ending is good or bad, or if people just aren't "getting it". 

I can say that the game is very, very good.  I have had very few technical problems...three times since I got the game it's frozen between levels, and there have been a couple other spots where secondary NPCs didn't recognize quests resolving (but never in any way that prevented the quest from being completed).

So far the story beats the original KotOR, as do the complexity of the playable characters.  The game theory behind setting the backstory as consistant with the player is rock solid, as well.

They're both excellent games, and I think people have to remember, when comparing the two games, that you shouldn't be saying Bioware is better than Obsidian or vice-versa based on this outing because Bioware probably would have never been in a position to design KotOR in the first place if it wasn't for Feargus and the Black Isle people who now work for Obsidian...any one who cares to remember the original Baldur's Gate, Bioware's first game, will know that it was...a flawed outing at best.  Comparatively, The Sith Lords is much better, but the two groups have been drawing ideas and technical advancements from each other for a very long time, so it really isn't a fair comparison.

In my mind, each group specializes in a certain area...Bioware does solid gameplay and genre-bulding, while Black Isle/Obisidian are the guys with the great story ideas and dark complexity.  Which is better for the "Empire Strikes Back" of the KotOR series?  Personally I find the latter are, but that doesn't take anything from Bio.

Drac

Good points Drac. I mean, I too was enamored in the first 20 hours of gameplay in K2. The game was absolutely on fire. Then towards the latter half, it just went down hill and never recovered.

Your opinion might change after you finish the game. We'll see.

- dr cloak

"Good points Drac. I mean, I too was enamored in the first 20 hours of gameplay in K2. The game was absolutely on fire. Then towards the latter half, it just went down hill and never recovered.

Your opinion might change after you finish the game. We'll see."

I didn't get that impression at all. When you hit the climax, things naturally accelerate towards the ending. The pieces fall into place and the PC starts to act with more resolve and with righteous fury.

...well, that's how I played it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I, frankly, don't understand the problem, and I was far more cynical about how the game would turn out than just about anyone else I heard talk about the game in anticipation. It certainly seems like a rush job... but the experience is still good. I've been playing it constantly, even after my first play-through, and I like it better than the first game. And while the game is supposed to focus on replayability, it's a much more special experience the first time around than K1 ever was for me.

well hopefully all these glitches will be fixed for international xbox'ers...although im still wondering whether to buy for pc or xbox?

my sis doesnt like star wars very much and HATES it when i put games on our computer so right now im in favor for buying on xbox....im not too worried about the graphics since i thought they were ok in kotor 1 (xbox)

I loved this game. The last few parts of the game (from the battle with Nihilus to the end) are its absolute weakest points, though really, they're its *only* weak points. Had Obsidian more time to work on this game, it would have been spectacular throughout.

From the prologue to the final gathering of the Jedi Masters on Dantooine, K2 gets a 9/10 from me: I would have liked to see more involved character interaction, but the influence system was a great idea and, if a KotOR3 is ever developed (please?), it should definitely be retained and improved upon. The combat difficulty also left a lot to be desired. Next developers (hopefully Obsidian): don't throw out hordes of weakling enemies to slaughter. Give us mixed groups of enemies with different abilities and powers or even environmental hazards. Anyone remember the last fight with Sarevok in BG and all his cronies and those damn traps? Talk about a satisfying victory! That exhiliration was matched only in its sequels' final battles, and then never again... so far. Always keep the story in mind first, but don't overlook the immense satisfaction a player receives after winning a difficult battle! Heart-thumping moments of tactical challenge were what made combat in the Baldur's Gate series such an enjoyable experience.

After the gathering... well... I hate to do this, but I'd give it a 7 or even 6/10. Things happened fast, as suitable for a climax, but I think they went *too* fast and left too many things hanging and the ending was frustrating. No, I didn't expect a happy-happy joy-joy ewok dance (and neither did I *want* one), but I *did* want a catharsis. Even TESB had some emotional "cool-down" scenes after the loss of Han and Vader's revelation. I expected the game to last at least another few minutes to let you relax and let the story sink in and set *real* framework for the sequel, instead of an overly-vague and frustrating "you must go where none can follow" ending which, though it perfectly suited Planescape, did not sit well for me in the Star Wars universe or the character of the exile. That said, that ending *could* have been done convincingly, but that didn't happen. At least, not for me.

And now I shall disappear into the darkness once more.

- dr cloak

I think my X800 will probably handle most of those issues in february, not like the funny-box:-)