Questions to Dev's, Take 4

Nur Ab Sal, I understand that you, like many EU fanatics (no offense) want KOTOR to be completely different from GL's vision. If you think about it, 4,000 years is not "giant" in the grand scheme of things. Not much happened technologically from 4,000 B.C. to 1 A.D.

Also, I know that you want KOTOR to resemble TOTJ, but to most, only the movies and major novels are canon, not graphic novels. If the devs had made KOTOR look like TOTJ, not only would it be unoriginal, it wouldn't attract any casual gamers.

If KOTOR bore no resemblence to the Civil War era, it wouldn't make sense. I actually think the devs did put their own spin on the design and feel of the KOTOR world. It may not of been more ancient, but it was definitely different.

Nur Ab Sal, I understand that you, like many EU fanatics (no offense) want KOTOR to be completely different from GL's vision. If you think about it, 4,000 years is not "giant" in the grand scheme of things. Not much happened technologically from 4,000 B.C. to 1 A.D.

Also, I know that you want KOTOR to resemble TOTJ, but to most, only the movies and major novels are canon, not graphic novels. If the devs had made KOTOR look like TOTJ, not only would it be unoriginal, it wouldn't attract any casual gamers.

If KOTOR bore no resemblence to the Civil War era, it wouldn't make sense. I actually think the devs did put their own spin on the design and feel of the KOTOR world. It may not of been more ancient, but it was definitely different.

Please, please, don't set him off again. :)

Think about how many wars there has been from kotor leading to ROTJ and tell me why it would appear that technology is almost the same...

everytime someone invented something new or exciting it was destroyed thus returning back to a normal stage of technology.

Ick time loop :o

Man educate yourself. We have image of ancient Coruscant already in TOTJ.

Maybe you should read my posts more carefully to understand what I have in mind.

I have in mind that devs should follow the aesthetical image of the ancient era shown in TOTJ instead of mindless copying GL movies.

Coruscant 4000 years ago reminded our modern cities - like New York. It was a great metropoly but different from prequel Coruscant. And that's good becouse

it must be different considering so great time distance.

Dude! Maybe you should just let the DEV's do thier J-O-B-S!!!

They know what they are doing, and I for one have faith they will make an excellent game. :angry:

Not much happened technologically from 4,000 B.C. to 1 A.D.

Maybe it's because I'm in Classics, but, OY! Arch, all kinds of metal-working, refinements in every craft imaginable. Go see the complex of Fortune at Palestrina, slanted columns solving a rather sophisticated statics problem. Then there's a slew of Roman seige equipment. Oh, and don't forget the generation of almost every idea that has ever been used in Western Civ. Everything for the last 2000 years has just been a rehash of Greek culture. Completely. Oy.........

hahaha thanks for your appreciation guys! :lol:

But this is question-only section and large polemics are way off topic here. So I'm not going to kill this thread too. Don't worry

Anyway I agree with Yalon in one thing: KOTOR's devs had to ignore ancient look - otherwise game wouldn't be so succesful. It's a pity howewer.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Anyway I agree with Yalon in one thing: KOTOR's devs  had to ignore ancient look - otherwise game  wouldn't be so succesful. It's a pity howewer.

:o HE CAN BE REASONABLE!! :)

But seriously I agree, they start messing about like that they risk alienating the casual star wars fans i.e. alot of the market for KotOR.

I have a question for the devs, although it's not strictly about KotOR2.  I was curious about programming for the XBox, how does that work?  Do you compile and run on an emulator, burn to a disc and play on an actual XBox, copy to a "development" XBox that's designed for testing, etc?

We have xbox elves that take care of all that.

Seriously, we have an xbox sitting on our desks that are hooked up to the network. We can compile a xbox debug version of the game with vc.net on our desktops. We then run our newly compiled debug version on the xbox and 'attach' to that process with VC.net.

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

You mean whole comics or sample pictures? Sample pictures of technology and architecture are in "Planet Speculation" thread on page 1. You can download them. And I don't know of any free versions of TOTJ - I bought mine on Amazon (10$ each part)

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Doesn't look all that bad really,little different yes but not bad. With there being more then one stance if you don't like that one you don't have to use it. Not to mention it was said you could play through the whole game and not switch to one of the other stances once if you wanted. So if you like the original look it'll pry be there. It's a rather close up shot with a force power,which both seem to be playing into how it looks. Might look better in a more "normal" situation.

And that's if it is a stance at all,was said,wouldn't worry.

I know I'm still stuck on a topic from like three days ago, but I went to my local Barnes and Noble, and they had a copy of TOTJ: THe Sith War. I really like what they did with it, and it is definietly more ancient. One problem, not a single Jedi Master in that book is a human. What was up with Master Thonb Nur Ab Sal? I mean, he was a like triceratops(sp?) for pete sake! How was he supposed to weild a lightsabre?

Here's the info on master Thon taken from CUSWE:

"an alien known to the Old Republic as a Wharl (or Tchuukthai), Thon was in reality a sentient being who chose to keep his species and his culture a well-guarded secret. Thon trained in the ways of the Force, and eventually became a Jedi Master. He was assigned as the watchman of the Stenness System, and was living and training on Ambria just prior to the Great Sith War. When he first came to Ambria, the Dark Side of the Force was prevalent on the planet. Master Thon pushed the Dark Side back, forcing it into Lake Natth. His experiences on Ambria taught him of the virtue of the Light Side, and he tried to convince other Jedi Masters about the dangers of the Krath. He was supposed to have continued the Jedi training of Andur Sunrider, but Andur's death changed those plans. Instead, Thon became the teacher of Andur's wife, Nomi. Her stubbornness was broken when Thon was attacked by Bogga the Hutt. In the battle, Thon gave his lightsaber to Nomi, and she used it with unusual skill for an untrained Jedi candidate. Thon realized that Nomi was the special Jedi he was prophecied to train, and took her under his tutelage. Later, he was part of the assembly of Jedi Masters who met on Deneba to discuss the Krath uprising in the Empress Teta system"

I think that creators wanted to show galaxy as a really exotic place where humans were struggling for position among other races, not being dominant specie like 4000 years later.

Personally I rate Sith War pretty low for a TOTJ standards. Dark Lords of the Sith and Redemption are better 100 times. Carrasco's art is worse than Gossett's and

we really don't see much war here (although Exar's trip to the senate is cool).

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: