Comment on Release Dates...

PC version was never pushed back.  The X-Box american version was pushed forward.

Again, I have posted LA press memos that say different, but you can argue them in the other thread

From LA:

Finally, the next chapter of the award-winning original title of 2003, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords will be available just in time for the holidays in Winter 2004 on both Xbox and PC. 

EDIT: o, and the date of the memo is 8/4/04 and inside the memo it is entitled August 2004. So they are using the same calender as you and me. :)

I am going to try to comment on the release dates without sticking my foot in my mouth or pissing a myriad of groups off.  This is probably impossible, but hey when has that ever stopped Feargus "Slamdunk" Urquhart before.

Anyway now that I'm done with the disclaimer.

There are actually a whole bunch of reasons why the dates have been set they way they have been, some of them have to do with LucasArts and some of them have to do with Obsidian.  Microsoft even weighed in on the topic and let us know what they would like to see.  What came out of all that was that the US Xbox version would come out in December and the PC and both International versions would come out in February.

Like a lot of people on the boards here, we are disappointed that we will not be shipping the PC version simultaneously.  We are probably more disappointed actually, because of all the hard work we put into making it possible for that to happen.

This will probably mean that the International release of the PC version will be delayed even further in order to grant International X-box owners an exlusive title for a few months just like their brethren in the US.

I am going to try to comment on the release dates without sticking my foot in my mouth or pissing a myriad of groups off.  This is probably impossible, but hey when has that ever stopped Feargus "Slamdunk" Urquhart before.

There are actually a whole bunch of reasons why the dates have been set they way they have been, some of them have to do with LucasArts and some of them have to do with Obsidian.  Microsoft even weighed in on the topic and let us know what they would like to see.  What came out of all that was that the US Xbox version would come out in December and the PC and both International versions would come out in February.

Like a lot of people on the boards here, we are disappointed that we will not be shipping the PC version simultaneously.  We are probably more disappointed actually, because of all the hard work we put into making it possible for that to happen.

This will probably mean that the International release of the PC version will be delayed even further in order to grant International X-box owners an exlusive title for a few months just like their brethren in the US.

No, prolly not. As Euro companies would just order US PC copies at that point or people would just pirates US PC copies.

good idea with the sticky.. didnt notice the name of the poster and assumed this was another complaint thread. pretty generic respons in his post not really giving any kind of answer but from the other posts of the devs and common sense its easy to see why it happened the way it did.

Thank you very much for that comment, Mr Urqheart. It's nice to see that you care about your consumers.

And I suppose that: All things considered I am grateful that you were able to deny MS a Kotor2 Xbox exclusive period internationally. This too, helps us PC gamers.

Nice to know someone *cough..feargus..cough* doesn't think himself soooo important, as to assume he may ignore the little man, i.e, individual gamers! Good on you feargus, let it be known that you have EARNED my respect, thanks again :p

Well said, Sirius.

I couldn't agree more. I will be reconsidering my plans regarding Kotor2.

At the very least, I think we see firsthand whose PR department actually respects and pays attention to their fans.  :blink:

I'd like to point out, based off the LA announcement, how most people (my self included originally) thought it was Obsidians "fault" (a la, could only finish one version of the game in time). Classy of LA, isn't it.

The type of vague answer Feargus provided us with,

though it 's probably the most he's allowed to say, can

only spell out one thing: conspiracy.

I'm talking a multi-corporational cover-up to realease the PC version

two months later than the console version in order to boost X-box

sales during the holiday season. If this is in fact the case, the presents

will be piled high under the trees of Microsoft-employed families

this year, I can guarantee that. :)

Reading between the lines of Feargus' comments:

Emperor Gates used force persuasion on Darth Lucas who consequently encouraged Moff Urquart to "redouble his efforts" to get the X-Box version "fully armed and operational" by December so that all of the minions in the evil Empire would have something to celebrate at Christmas, little thinking that this will only encourage PC rebels everywhere to further sedition.

Thanks for the info. Needless to say I'm upset. Like everyone else I'm really looking forward to the game and a release date that could be any where from little over a month to possibly almost 3, depending on actual release day, it is not encouraging. KoToR 2 is really banking on the success of 1. With people on both sides of the debate about Obsidian as a new company any negative feelings starting out can be hard to live down.

At this point I'm not blaming Obsidian, but LA. This seems like another one of their winner ideas here. I guess you don't have to be bright when you can just keep living off one of the biggest marketable stories out there. Star Wars Galaxies helps prove that as well.

Over all I'm very disappointed as I'll not be playing X-box version. If for no other reason sheer principle as I don't want anyone making money off the idea after pulling something like that. I'm not even going to rent the thing. I would feel a lot different if up to this point it had not been promised the simultaneous release and the fact we've had/will have such a long wait.

Reading between the lines of Feargus' comments:

Emeperor Gates used force persuasion on Darth Lucas who consequently encouraged Moff Urquart to "redouble his efforts" to get the X-Box version "fully armed and operational" by December so that all of the minions in the evil Empire would have something to celebrate at Christmas, little thinking that this will only encourage PC rebels everywhere to further sedition.

:lol:

But true.... :(

Thanks for the info.  Needless to say I'm upset.  Like everyone else I'm really looking forward to the game and a release date that could be any where from little over a month to possibly almost 3, depending on actual release day, it is not encouraging.  KoToR 2 is really banking on the success of 1.  With people on both sides of the debate about Obsidian as a new company any negative feelings starting out can be hard to live down.

At this point I'm not blaming Obsidian, but LA.  This seems like another one of their winner ideas here.  I guess you don't have to be bright when you can just keep living off one of the biggest marketable stories out there.  Star Wars Galaxies helps prove that as well.

Over all I'm very disappointed as I'll not be playing X-box version.  If for no other reason sheer principle as I don't want anyone making money off the idea after pulling something like that.  I'm not even going to rent the thing.  I would feel a lot different if up to this point it had not been promised the simultaneous release and the fact we've had/will have such a long wait.

I wonder if there'll be a way to send the money directly to Obsidian. <_<

manthing2.jpg

God people still moaning bout this, how you think us International fans feel? we gotta wait the same time as the pc users whether it be the xbox or pc version.

I felt the same about fable, seein as the company's british, felt hella screwed that it was released over in the states first before here in the uk.

They obviously have their reasons to do the xbox release first so live with it already!!

Not cool, not cool at all, but I can see how it is not Obsidian's fault. I've been reading this forum for awhile now, but I never felt the need to post until now. When I saw the release date I felt disappointed, annoyed, and betrayed. I personally despise consoles and never play them, and I was looking forward to playing this game before the year was over.

It was indeed a dirty trick pulled by Lord Gates and a big Screw You to PC gamers, but I can't really blame him either. Microsoft is a business and has a duty and responsibility to make the most money it can. By releasing the X-Box version 3 months before the PC version, Microsoft is going to make a lot more money than if the release was simultaneous. Lord Lucas of course would love to oblige his good friend Lord Gates and has LucasArts set the dates. Now Obsidian is forced to betray their biggest fan (and customer) base and follow orders from the mighty Sith Lords.

So in the end, Microsoft wins in the short run by having PC and X-Box gamers buy the KotOR 2 X-Box version instead of waiting for the PC version (or buying both) and in the long run by pleasing X-Box gamers and attracting more gamers to buy an X-Box (brand loyalty). LucasArts wins in the short run by simply making more money with many gamers ending up buying both versions and long run by cuddling up to Microsoft (future business contracts). Obsidian wins in the short run by making a bigger profit than they would in a simultaneous release and losing in the long run by disappointing many PC gamers and losing potential customers in the future, as well as gaining a bad image. Economics is fun and I love being a Republican. And a Sith.

A brilliant scheme by Lord Gates and it

It'de be great if someone could confirm this for me as I wanna know if I should ask Santa for it or if I'm gonna have to buy it.

They only ever say that the US xbox version is out in December, and the last time I checked, Canada claimed that it was a different country. Maybe there's been a war? I doubt it though. At least you guys at Obsidian care enough to explain the situation, thx. :lol:

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

It'de be great if someone could confirm this for me as I wanna know if I should ask Santa for it or if I'm gonna have to buy it.

They only ever say that the US xbox version is out in December, and the last time I checked, Canada claimed that it was a different country. Maybe there's been a war? I doubt it though. At least you guys at Obsidian care enough to explain the situation, thx. :blink:

That's actually a good question. Does the US release automatically include Canada? Or is the fact they said "US" release, not "North American" release an indication that Canada will get the shaft like Europeans do.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Could anyone clarify how (preferrably in statistics, sales lingo at the least) exactly Microsoft gains from this whole "fiasco"?

It sounds to me like Microsoft was a contributing factor, but do they receive royalties for all x-box games, I forgot? It seems that LA and Obsidian have an obligation to listen to the company for certifying the validity of THEIR game on the x-box, but by no means does this really even faintly imply conspiracy theory. I mean, seriously, let's think about what we're talking about here: video games. It's not Vietnam, it's not the Cold War, and it's not bloody flying saucers.

It can't really be said that this hurts anyone except for being "unfair," whereas the first delayed release on the PC version was reason for much irritation because they just kept pushing it off. I never had the impression, and I don't think it logical to suspect anyone at LA had the impression, that people really cared that much about a non-simultaneous release date as they did a continually prolonged release date, which WAS an active hurt on the PC users. Until someone brought up that this wasn't a simultaneous release date, I don't think anyone would have cared - because they forget? Because that wasn't the issue, and that's not what LA promised us.

On the other hand, this could be the way LA was trying to get better publicity. Semantics; they say February, knowing the XBOX version will be coming out in December. However, Feargus' post was very kind, respectful, straightforward and seemingly honest, don't you think? And everything seems to show that THAT decision was made on the fly. Now, maybe someone high up had a guess that they could manage a december release date on the XBOX version, and saying February could put them in the clear (using the argument I just gave above), but honestly, not even the developer's knew when the versions were going to be ready

The thing is, people get angry about this and give all the reasons: That it's unfair, that they're screwing over the PC users again. But all the arguments seem to break down to one thing: That this was a purposeful and malicious lie. The lie is the problem, but the alleged "lie" is the one factor we know nothing about, so what's actually making people mad? The lie that was likely more of an accident than a lie?

And then the argument that it's their responsibility to avoid this mess, therefore we can assume it was a lie. Are we mad about the accident, or the lie? We're mad about the lie, but we don't know the lie happened, and we're still thinking "lie" when we say "accident." Would it hurt anyone to recognize that this could be a big, stupid mistake? Would it change the fact that the company fell into a really, really bad situation, and would've hurt if not for people being rational for once? Does it benefit us to continue acting irrational, or does it hurt us to avoid slightly more rational possibilities just because, "It shouldn't go unpunished?" You could say a murder is the fault of anyone in a blocks radius of a murder, but should you kill/incarcerate almost everyone on the block just to make sure you get the murderer? No, you try to single out the murderer, the cause of the death. And just in case it was, in fact, a heart attack, we run an autopsy. Obviously this is a little more serious, but the mechanics are the same even for lesser hurt/retaliation, and that's what I'm driving at.

If the public is smart enough to figure out when they're being irrational to assume the worst of a company's intentions, doesn't that sort of nullify they whole point in the first place about the company not doing those things? It seems pretty plain to me that the whole idea of saying, "it's your fault, no matter how unreasonable to say so, if the public doesn't like you," is so that companies don't squabble with their customers and dig themselves into deeper misunderstanding with the customers (when the two perspectives aren't taking any common ground to understand eachother), thus losing them profit. If the customer's don't have any reason to squabble, though, and they do because they can, isn't that an expansion and a needless limitation? Is not the reason for avoiding confrontation to avoid actual confrontation, instead of avoiding the theory of confrontation? Well, if you prefer the latter, you're pushing the rules and limiting companies to the utmost while totally spoiling the customers.

Either way I think Obsidian has proved itself to be a noble and honorable company, but it has proved this ONLY to those who read their posts and know about them. Thanks to LA (the opposite), alot of people think Obsidian is to blame.

Obsidian has done the right things...they have shared the blame even though they showed they weren't that responsible, they supported LA, they took responsiblity, and they remembered their fans.

All a stark contrast to LA.