Comment on Release Dates...

Let's look at what Obsidian did differently:  They apologized, but they still screwed up as LA did.  LA hasn't apologized, and that's wrong.  Is the problem that LA hasn't apologized, or that LA screwed up?  Is LA as opposite to Obsidian as you think it is?

Well LA blamed it all on Obsidian and Obsidian said they both had screwed up a little. Therefore

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Obsidian at least pretends to have morals (dunno if they do or not).

Did they really blame it on Obsidian, though, or did they blame it on development?

I read somewhere on this forum that they ahd blamed it on Obsidian. I was suprised as I thought Lucasarts was simply ignoring the issue. I guess I can't completely trust my source, but it seems like something LA would do.

Also, we are justified upon making whatever claims about this or theories until LA releases an explanation+ (hopefully but unlikely) an apology.

Could anyone clarify how (preferrably in statistics, sales lingo at the least) exactly Microsoft gains from this whole "fiasco"? 

I'd think that's rather obvious by asking yourself another question: What does Microsoft gain from the PC release? The answer is nothing. You can't use the theory that because Windows is a Microsoft product, that a PC version will help sell Windows, mainly because the chances of someone buying an entirely new computer just to play KOTOR 2 is slim to none, especially when you figure that new computer needs all the specs such as graphics card upgrades and RAM upgrades, which will cost the buyer over $1500 when alls said and done.

Now ask yourself this: What does Microsoft gain from an XBox exclusive release (ie. XBox exclusive during the Christmas period)? Everything. XBox will be competing with PS2 for sales this Christmas. Which means that if someone wants to play KOTOR 2, the deciding factor between purchasing an XBox or a PS2 is that XBox is the only system that can play KOTOR2, since the PC version is not an option. In other words, instant sales. If there was a simultaneous release, the people who are leaning towards a PS2 purchase who also already own a PC, can do so now since they know that even if they can't get KOTOR for the PS2, they have the PC alternative.

Do I have exact sales projections to back that up? No, but it doesn't take too much to calculate XBox (where Microsoft WILL make some money) versus a PC release (where Microsoft will make NO money).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

btw, when is the EXACT release date for each version?

So far we've been told December 2004 and February 2005 for Xbox and PC, respectively. But December is 31 days, and February is 28, so LucasArts still hasn't given a specific date yet, or have they?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

btw, when is the EXACT release date for each version?

So far we've been told December 2004 and February 2005 for Xbox and PC, respectively.  But December is 31 days, and February is 28, so LucasArts still hasn't given a specific date yet, or have they?

not that I have seen! but I would be intersted in knowing as well. It seems like every site I visit gives a different release date so far the erliest dates I have seen is dec 6 for Xbox and feb 15 for PC.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Bah, I was gone for three days so I didn't see this until now as I rarely look at the stickies. I'm glad that someone official came out, and really glad that it was Feargie as I've always liked him before. Because I wasn't able to get anyone else to boycott the game, I won't be going through with it, but I do now have a friend who will be buying it for X-Box, and I'll probably be playing it over there. Stupid Billy Gates.

<kicks Microsoft>

Bah, I was gone for three days so I didn't see this until now as I rarely look at the stickies.  I'm glad that someone official came out, and really glad that it was Feargie as I've always liked him before.  Because I wasn't able to get anyone else to boycott the game, I won't be going through with it, but I do now have a friend who will be buying it for X-Box, and I'll probably be playing it over there.  Stupid Billy Gates. 

<kicks Microsoft>

:p i sympathize.

I think Feargus' post substantiates that it's publishers who push the devs around, as we've seen in other things, and so I think it's pretty unfair to blame Obsidian for this. Don't flame me but I think in this they've already shown themselves rather more concerned than Buggyware. It even took Relic a year or two to get rid of those bizarre Homeworld 2 conspiracies. What we've already seen in responsiveness is more than most companies have, so I'll be getting this and then nothing else from Lucas Arts ever, and so say all you want about LA but I really don't think these guys deserve the flak.

I think Feargus' post substantiates that it's publishers who push the devs around, as we've seen in other things, and so I think it's pretty unfair to blame Obsidian for this.  Don't flame me but I think in this they've already shown themselves rather more concerned than Buggyware.  It even took Relic a year or two to get rid of those bizarre Homeworld 2 conspiracies.  What we've already seen in responsiveness is more than most companies have, so I'll be getting this and then nothing else from Lucas Arts ever, and so say all you want about LA but I really don't think these guys deserve the flak.

i totally agree.

I think Feargus' post substantiates that it's publishers who push the devs around, as we've seen in other things, and so I think it's pretty unfair to blame Obsidian for this.  Don't flame me but I think in this they've already shown themselves rather more concerned than Buggyware.  It even took Relic a year or two to get rid of those bizarre Homeworld 2 conspiracies.  What we've already seen in responsiveness is more than most companies have, so I'll be getting this and then nothing else from Lucas Arts ever, and so say all you want about LA but I really don't think these guys deserve the flak.

Did you ever even see my boycott plan? I was gonna send $20 into Obsidian so they WOULDN'T get screwed over. In fact, it would have been a bigger cut than they'd have gotten anyway. Then I was gonna pick up KotOR2 when it dropped down to $10, that way, no money off my wallet. But a boycott doesn't work if it's only one person, and since the populace of these boards apparently have no willpower.....

Meh. :p

Reading between the lines of Feargus' comments:

Emperor Gates used force persuasion on Darth Lucas who consequently encouraged Moff Urquart to "redouble his efforts" to get the X-Box version "fully armed and operational" by December so that all of the minions in the evil Empire would have something to celebrate at Christmas, little thinking that this will only encourage PC rebels everywhere to further sedition.

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This is a business people. Man, I try to imagine how pissed gamers would be in other ranges of business. I understand it's a very different part of business, one people enjoy in a different way then most. But people have to get paid! They wouldn't be able to be doing this if not most likely.

So try to make America, and a lot of the world a functioning communistic society, or a functioning anarchy. Or get used to it being a business!! (btw, I'm an xbox owner, lol)

Thx for the response Feargus.

Ambrosia3.gif

I'd think that's rather obvious by asking yourself another question:  What does Microsoft gain from the PC release?  The answer is nothing.  You can't use the theory that because Windows is a Microsoft product, that a PC version will help sell Windows, mainly because the chances of someone buying an entirely new computer just to play KOTOR 2 is slim to none, especially when you figure that new computer needs all the specs such as graphics card upgrades and RAM upgrades, which will cost the buyer over $1500 when alls said and done.

Now ask yourself this:  What does Microsoft gain from an XBox exclusive release (ie. XBox exclusive during the Christmas period)?  Everything.  XBox will be competing with PS2 for sales this Christmas.  Which means that if someone wants to play KOTOR 2, the deciding factor between purchasing an XBox or a PS2 is that XBox is the only system that can play KOTOR2, since the PC version is not an option.  In other words, instant sales.  If there was a simultaneous release, the people who are leaning towards a PS2 purchase who also already own a PC, can do so now since they know that even if they can't get KOTOR for the PS2, they have the PC alternative.

Do I have exact sales projections to back that up?  No, but it doesn't take too much to calculate XBox (where Microsoft WILL make some money) versus a PC release (where Microsoft will make NO money).

<_< PC upgrades wouldn't be $1500, even new PC for much less than that would be more than able to run this game and for even less you could build it yourself. But not many people buy a new PC just for one game. Upgrades? Sure, people were doing that for Doom III and for Half-Life 2.

I don't think KOTOR II is going to be much of a console seller for MS (that's what Halo 2 is supposed to be), especially if they already have a PC that will be able to play the game and besides people who don't have the PC to run KOTORII probably couldn't run KOTOR on their PC and therefore would have either bought their XBox a year ago. It's only a two month or so difference, which isn't much of a wait and I'm sure most PC gamers have the patience to wait that short of a time. I know I do since I'll have plenty of PS2 (namely GTA:SA, which won't be out on PC until May, June or July of next year) games to keep me occupied, not to mention other PC games.

It sucks that he PC version is delayed. :angry: The only reason I could see there being is that the PC version needs more optimization so that it'll work with more PC configurations. Then again it is Microsoft that has the power to pull strings and the money too, which of course would have to be Lucas Arts's motivation. Microsoft must be desperate for "exclusive" games so that there's more than just Halo 2 to get people to buy an XBox this holiday season. I don't think KOTOR II will be a factor in many people buying an XBox considering the PC release won't be that far away.

I'd think that's rather obvious by asking yourself another question:  What does Microsoft gain from the PC release?  The answer is nothing.  You can't use the theory that because Windows is a Microsoft product, that a PC version will help sell Windows, mainly because the chances of someone buying an entirely new computer just to play KOTOR 2 is slim to none, especially when you figure that new computer needs all the specs such as graphics card upgrades and RAM upgrades, which will cost the buyer over $1500 when alls said and done.

Now ask yourself this:  What does Microsoft gain from an XBox exclusive release (ie. XBox exclusive during the Christmas period)?  Everything.  XBox will be competing with PS2 for sales this Christmas.  Which means that if someone wants to play KOTOR 2, the deciding factor between purchasing an XBox or a PS2 is that XBox is the only system that can play KOTOR2, since the PC version is not an option.  In other words, instant sales.  If there was a simultaneous release, the people who are leaning towards a PS2 purchase who also already own a PC, can do so now since they know that even if they can't get KOTOR for the PS2, they have the PC alternative.

Do I have exact sales projections to back that up?  No, but it doesn't take too much to calculate XBox (where Microsoft WILL make some money) versus a PC release (where Microsoft will make NO money).

<_< PC upgrades wouldn't be $1500, even new PC for much less than that would be more than able to run this game and for even less you could build it yourself. But not many people buy a new PC just for one game. Upgrades? Sure, people were doing that for Doom III and for Half-Life 2.

I don't think KOTOR II is going to be much of a console seller for MS (that's what Halo 2 is supposed to be), especially if they already have a PC that will be able to play the game and besides people who don't have the PC to run KOTORII probably couldn't run KOTOR on their PC and therefore would have either bought their XBox a year ago. It's only a two month or so difference, which isn't much of a wait and I'm sure most PC gamers have the patience to wait that short of a time. I know I do since I'll have plenty of PS2 (namely GTA:SA, which won't be out on PC until May, June or July of next year) games to keep me occupied, not to mention other PC games.

It sucks that he PC version is delayed. :angry: The only reason I could see there being is that the PC version needs more optimization so that it'll work with more PC configurations.

Check out my thread in general gaming about the new PS2 design. People were already complaining about the Billy Gates Box being gigantic....what now. Plus they installed a modem....that means their machine is now going to appeal to all the people who don't have highspeed internet for online gaming. Sony just released a potentially very, very big gun....Microsoft is going to have trouble selling any new Billy Gates Boxes this holiday season I imagine....that is....if they didn't have KotOR2 and Halo 2. :p

I know I already asked this question but maybe a developer could answer this fer me is the American Xbox release date the same for the Canadian or will we Canadians have to wait like the rest of the world.

Who is Canada's head of State? The Queen (of Britain+the commnwealth) therefore not GW. Who is Canada's PM, or president or whatever? Not Dub'ya. Is Canada the 52nd state? No. Is, in fact Canada in any way related to the USA other than the fact that they share border. Border as in USA one side, Canada the other. Border as in December release one side, February release the other. Surely it's not rocket science people? :o

EDIT: I don't mean to get at anyone by that, and I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by it, it's just that that has been a question in the air for a while, and I simply find the whole scenario very unlikely, what with Canada being an independant country and all. Not like the American rebels. :)

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Seems like restraint of trade to me. :angry:

Microsoft pays money (?) or offers other considerations to delay release of the PC product (since we know it would otherwise be ready, as previously planned, at the same time as the X-box version). This damages their PC based competition. :angry:

I wouldn't be supprised if this is illegal - besides being immoral.

But someone who is effected and powerful would have to file a lawsuit.

I wanted to buy the game before, but now I may actually not buy it after all.

I understand that MS may have conspired with Intel to withhold operating system improvements and damage AMD.

Seems like this may be just business as usual for them.

Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Seems like restraint of trade to me.  :angry:

Microsoft pays money (?) or offers other considerations to delay release of the PC product (since we know it would otherwise be ready, as previously planned, at the same time as the X-box version). This damages their PC based competition. :angry:

I wouldn't be supprised if this is illegal - besides being immoral.

But someone who is effected and powerful would have to file a lawsuit.

I wanted to buy the game before, but now I may actually not buy it after all.

I understand that MS may have conspired with Intel to withhold operating system improvements and damage AMD.

Seems like this may be just business as usual for them.

Colrom

Bah, you think the Intel/AMD hijinks were wacky....ever notice how the Dreamcast, and Sega's Hardware department at large was phased out at just about the same time the Billy Gates Box was introduced? One has to wonder....what with the Dreamcast being EXTREMELY INNOVATIVE, having some rock solid titles, and the fact that EVERY SEGA CONSOLE'S OPERATING SYSTEM DATING TO THE GENESIS HAS BEEN DEVELOPED BY M$....and the fact that they were trying to make the Dreamcast's hardware PC conversion friendly (never saw any articles that said whether it was or not, but that's what they were ASKING M$ for....which is what they did with the Billy Gates Box)....you don't think M$ could have had SOMETHING to do with Sega's Hardware demise....do ya? :p

Don't believe me? Check out these articles on Gamespot:

Black Belt Peep Show 1

Black Belt Peep Show 2

Black Belt Peep Show 3

Black Belt Peep Show 4

This is just rumors, we don

Actually, I don't remember which board member said it first.....feel free to speak up; but I do agree with them that M$ could have done it easily without money....by offering them an incentive of say.....continuing to allow LA to develop for the Billy Gates Box?

As bad as Microsoft can be, I find it hard to believe they would blackmail/threaten them like that, Bill Gates is not Tony Suprano :lol:

It's amazing how easily people come up with conspiracy theories regarding a well-known businessman when they are envious of his wealth.......

Besides, it's obvious the true issue is that certain people expect LucasArts to be responsible for their inability to find something better to do until February. :lol:

If you don't like what LucasArts did, the best response is to boycott KOTOR2 and go elsewhere. But some people just can't bring themselves to doing that and instead expect their cake and be able to eat it too..........

(Edit) And what's hilarious is that people are accusing Microsoft of trying to make LucasArts shifting KOTOR2's release in favor of the X-Box console, yet they are guilty of wanting LucasArts to do the SAME THING for PC gamers. :)

I know I already asked this question but maybe a developer could answer this fer me is the American Xbox release date the same for the Canadian or will we Canadians have to wait like the rest of the world.

Who is Canada's head of State? The Queen (of Britain+the commnwealth) therefore not GW. Who is Canada's PM, or president or whatever? Not Dub'ya. Is Canada the 52nd state? No. Is, in fact Canada in any way related to the USA other than the fact that they share border. Border as in USA one side, Canada the other. Border as in December release one side, February release the other. Surely it's not rocket science people? :lol:

According to EB Games they get their copy of games from their US head office and thus all Canadian EB Games will be releasing the game at the same time as the US. I would imagine this would also go for Wal-mart and many other companies that have US head offices.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png