Bioware?

Bleekster

Obsidian isn't a satellite developer of BioWare although it probably looks like it now. Obsidian is an upstart developer that has a pretty good relationship with BioWare from their Black Isle days. So BioWare kind of "hooked them up" with some projects since they want to focus on their own IPs instead of doing licensed projects.

That's the short version.

Basically A lot of the Obsidian staff come from Black Isle, a former division of Interplay (a now effectively defunct developer/publisher). Interplay published the first few Bioware games - Shattered Steel, Baldur's Gate I & II, MDK2 and were going to publish NWN until there was a falling out between the developer (Bio) and the publisher (Interplay) over unpaid royalties.

However it seems that the people in the Black Isle division itself (as opposed to Interplay as a whole) had quite a good relationship with Bioware, because the ex-Black Isle management have managed to nab two high profile sequels after they were recommended to publishers by Bioware, who had no personal interest in churning out more licenced sequels.

Both of Obsidian's announced games will be based on tech developed and supported by Bioware.

Seems to be a case of I'll rub your back, you rub mine. ;)

Seems to be a case of I'll rub your back, you rub mine.  ;)

Seems more like a case of 'You rub our back, we'll give you one".

Just watch out for Greg's hairy back.  I don't think Feargus would want to rub that.  Maybe he would have one of his underlings do it.  ;)

Well, if you ever knock on Obsidian's door for a job, I think I know what it'll be...

Yes, in almsot the same way as BIo was actually seperate from interpaly; but tehnically got everything published by them up until NWN and that would have been another for Interplay til all Hell broke loose.

BIO, and Obs are cool with each other.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, they are lovingly called Bioware Junior, so...

not sure if "lovingly" is the term i'd use for some of the comments i've read :rolleyes:

taks

I'm sure God was being sarcastic.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta