What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

We had a supposedly critical server go down.  Then we checked and found the process the server is hosting hasn't been working for 2 weeks and our clients have not raised anything.

Amazing we get paid for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This week our PM lead went on vacation and I was acting lead. We had 4 production incidents this week... They ranged from a random piece of old code that started producing issues without any reason, to our dev ops deleting our cron job server. Suffice to say, my working days this week were averaging to around 12 hours... Well if nothing else it was a learning experience.

• Like 6

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah, my boss also picks the most wonderful of times to be on vacation. Like, you know, today. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My boss hasn't spoken to me 4 months.

• Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just submitted my tax return. I usually don't mind doing that. For one, it's easy with little detail to fill out manually and two, the calculator says business as usual, getting a couple of thousand back (Australian dollars)

edit: I consider 20 minutes spent to get $2000 time well spent 😛

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My father passed away today around 630. I've had to make all the calls letting folks know he's gone and am now finally trying to process things. 

Back in March, my dad was given at best a few weeks to live. He stuck it out for over four months and fought like hell to stay around for his family, even on death's door cared more about my mom and I than he did himself. I'm gonna miss him but seeing how hard it was for him near the end.....I don't know, it was a tough way to live and I think he would be relieved to not have struggle anymore. Regardless it's going to be a **** week.

• Sad 13

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

My father passed away today around 630. I've had to make all the calls letting folks know he's gone and am now finally trying to process things. 

Back in March, my dad was given at best a few weeks to live. He stuck it out for over four months and fought like hell to stay around for his family, even on death's door cared more about my mom and I than he did himself. I'm gonna miss him but seeing how hard it was for him near the end.....I don't know, it was a tough way to live and I think he would be relieved to not have struggle anymore. Regardless it's going to be a **** week.

My condolences on your loss.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

17 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Sorry, KP, :(. Hope he was loved and cared for...though it kind of sounds like he was fighting to love and care for you guys.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

46 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I'm so sorry for your loss KP, my condolences.

• Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Condolences KP

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 6:10 PM, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Very sorry for your loss. :(

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 6:10 PM, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Very sorry for your loss. :(

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry for your loss KP.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Gave up on work when I found out the dev tested for SFTP servers by checking if "sftp" is in the address..

And then it uses WinSCP via dll and what appears to be a hardcoded path....and needs a version of WinSCP from 2014.

gun-to-head-nodding.gif

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

Sorry for your loss KP.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sorry for your loss KP.

For what it's worth, you know we are here for you to talk about stupid things that don't really matter, like the ratio of skin left uncovered to the protection offered by chainmail bikini, if you need a distraction.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Thanks everyone. It's been a hard week and I've been too tired to really focus on anything after having to deal with grief, doing all the work to set up the cremation and viewing, and helping to rearrange the house after all of the hospice care machinery was taken back. My dad already did some of the planning because he was adamant about not having a funeral and wanted to be cremated, but there's always calls to make and hoops to jump through to make it actually happen. At this point I'm not feeling as sad but just very tired.

A guy broke a chair at the viewing, it's sturdy enough that you'd really have to work at it to break it, so I have no idea how he would have done that. My dad would have thought it was funny.

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

For what it's worth, you know we are here for you to talk about stupid things that don't really matter, like the ratio of skin left uncovered to the protection offered by chainmail bikini, if you need a distraction.

Excuse you, I have written a several essays on chainmail bikinis. One of them is very 100000 words.

• Like 6

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

If I pay all my income tax at once, I get a 185€ discount.

1 donut costs 1€.

If we assume I eat 5 donuts a year, if I pay all my income tax at once, basically the state pays my donuts until I'm 82 years old.

Obviously I paid my taxes today.

Bring on the donuts.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

15 hours ago, melkathi said:

Pfft, thats been done to death. What we REALLY need to drill down on is why everyone blindly accepts that a small band of metal around a single finger can improve your armor score! MADNESS! 

5 hours ago, melkathi said:

If I pay all my income tax at once, I get a 185€ discount.

1 donut costs 1€.

If we assume I eat 5 donuts a year, if I pay all my income tax at once, basically the state pays my donuts until I'm 82 years old.

Obviously I paid my taxes today.

Bring on the donuts.

Only 5 donuts a year?  We need to get those numbers up.

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Pfft, thats been done to death. What we REALLY need to drill down on is why everyone blindly accepts that a small band of metal around a single finger can improve your armor score! MADNESS! 

Enemies have ADD and extreme accuracy so they're attracted to the shiny thing.

10 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Enemies have ADD and extreme accuracy so they're attracted to the shiny thing.

Uh oh, that sounds particularly dangerous to my play style! Whenever I PnP (which is never), I like to accumulate several Ogre sized RoP and wear them as a dong sleeve. Completely naked otherwise and making direct eye contact with my enemies.

What are your thoughts on boobplate? Ive read voluminous posts about how that armor would actually hurt the user, because it would direct the weapon impact into the sternum. 

• Haha 1