Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

26 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Mercs, pets, new class Spiritborn added

40$ for an expansion. Well, with the base game being that pricey, I guess it was inevitable.

Ultimate edition is 90$. Seems it's just cosmetics, no early access this time.

Posted (edited)

Same price as RoS, and is in line with the price of expansions back in the day.  Adding raids, meh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Huh, only 2 months and change for beta.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sarex said:

You can draw some conclusions from it. One of them being that it's probably a live service game now.

Supposedly one of the reasons Dreadwolf Veilguard took so long was that it was redesigned to a primarily live service/ GaaS model at one point, then redesigned back again once it became clear GaaS was an invitation to flop more than a Uruguayan striker in a world cup semi final (ie post Anthem). There are likely some terminology hold overs and the like, and it wouldn't be EA if there wasn't some nickel and diming at least.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Avowed still looks…. Eh?

It looks so…. Basic? It is as if they concluded that PoE were to complex and subtle and overcorrected by cutting all flavour out. Hopefully the game proper fares better, but so far Avowed raises more and more red flags with each reveal.

They did the same thing going from POE to Deadfire.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the_dog_days said:

They did the same thing going from POE to Deadfire.

I can't agree. I don't think Deadfire's narrative and pivotal choice was well delivered, but there was a lot of going on in there. I don't want to judge Avowed on marketing, but it just looks so generic, and descriptive. "OOoo.. this is bad", "Ooo, but this is worse". "Ooo, this is not bad at all!".

Even the short text from the original teaser has so much texture and is so much evocative than anything that the two recent trailers have delivered.  But maybe it is a wider trend. I thought Outer Words marketing had the same issue "You good, bad or CRAZY!", and while overall I enjoyed the game, I did find it choices rather uninteresting. Honestly, at this point I hope Avowed is as good as Outer Worlds were.

I also find it odd that Avowed doesn't have a solid release date still. Apprently still 2024, but we only have 6 months to work with. Surely, you should know when the game drops by now, unless you still doubt if it will come together in time. (though I will take delay over crunching like crazy or delivering too early).

But more importantly:
WHERE IS SILKSONG!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Wormerine

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Didn't know there was a remake

Oh, it's the whole thing. It is not a vaporware afterall.

I looks nice. I enjoyed watching the trailer. Looks like it would be unenjoyable to play (with rigid scripting and autoaim stuff).

23 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

WHERE IS SILKSONG!!!!!!!!!

I just googled about it again last week. Crazy that it's years now since the last bits of information we got. Makes me wonder if the game was so crappy and unfun that they decided to rework everything.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

So safe to say that Bioware no longer exists.

4 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I guess we'll wait a couple of days to see what gameplay looks like, but it looks like Bioware is doing Bethesda's thing of having one type of game put into different settings across different series. Retrospectively I don't think any Dragon Age is particularly great and that generally Mass Effect has a stronger stable of titles, even so I don't think that porting that kind of gameplay to a more melee centric setting is going to work particularly well.

Also, for a developer that pivoted to creating "cinematic experiences", it's kinda funny just how unimpressive Bioware's cinematics are.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

6 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I can't agree. I don't think Deadfire's narrative and pivotal choice was well delivered, but there was a lot of going on in there. I don't want to judge Avowed on marketing, but it just looks so generic, and descriptive. "OOoo.. this is bad", "Ooo, but this is worse". "Ooo, this is not bad at all!".

I was talking about gameplay. Deadfire is a much easier game, even on the higher difficulties, than POE.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sarex said:

So safe to say that Bioware no longer exists.

Why does it look like an another hero shooter?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hope this will be better than the last one. It made me cringe very hard.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

I was talking about gameplay. Deadfire is a much easier game, even on the higher difficulties, than POE.

Ah, yeah, no, I am mostly interesting in story of Avowed. I don't hope for much gameplay wise.

Yeah, Deadfire had big balancing problems. DLCs were pretty good, though, I thought.

I just hope the game world won't feel as artificial as it did in the Outer Worlds. That was probably my biggest turnoff in the game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

Hope this will be better than the last one. It made me cringe very hard.

I don't really get the best impression from this trailer either, even bringing back Max...and I sure wish they'd go back to something closer to the original game's art style. The stylized semi-painterly visuals of the first game make it a lot softer on the eyes compared to these newer entries. It's funny how near and dear to me the first game is, meanwhile everything else since then has just felt like a non-stop series of fumbles.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Weren't all the other games made by different studios? Might explain why it went so... off the style. I have a little more faith in this one.