Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

4 hours ago, Spider said:

Yes I'm aware of this. But ideally, Larian will come through with their promise of Steam Workshop for BG3, and then these mods will be available there. I really like just being able to activate mods in Steam Worshop and not doing the whole downloading and manually adding in a bunch of mods one by one.

3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

But ideally, Larian will come through with their promise of Steam Workshop for BG3, and then these mods will be available there

I sincerely hope not, steam workshop is a steaming pile of excrement, and segregating the modding scene is really bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Yes I'm aware of this. But ideally, Larian will come through with their promise of Steam Workshop for BG3, and then these mods will be available there. I really like just being able to activate mods in Steam Worshop and not doing the whole downloading and manually adding in a bunch of mods one by one.

Kanie I know  you not a big mod user but its best to get into the habit of manually installing mods, unless its a few mods. I have found that once you understand how mods change a game then its always more or less the same process for each game . I found mod managers are good and save time but if something goes fundamentally wrong its hard to troubleshoot it and this applies to using more than 30 mods or so 

This excludes Bethesda games where mod managers like Mod Organizer2 have excellent troubleshooting tools 

And obviously this approach wouldnt apply to large mod collections like Nolvus for Skyrim which includes over 2000  mods because the creators of mod collections normally test them and its recommended to use a mod manager for them like Vortex 

https://www.nolvus.net/

But games like BG3, always try to install them manually. I know its more work but its better around overall stability. I literally watch videos around " how to install mods for game x" to learn how the process works and it takes about 2-3 hours to understand the steps in manually installing them for each game 

I know Steam Workshop is convenient but it can  unintentionally create problems 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Kanie I know  you not a big mod user but its best to get into the habit of manually installing mods, unless its a few mods. I have found that once you understand how mods change a game then its always more or less the same process for each game . I found mod managers are good and save time but if something goes fundamentally wrong its hard to troubleshoot it and this applies to using more than 30 mods or so 

This excludes Bethesda games where mod managers like Mod Organizer2 have excellent troubleshooting tools 

And obviously this approach wouldnt apply to large mod collections like Nolvus for Skyrim which includes over 2000  mods because the creators of mod collections normally test them and its recommended to use a mod manager for them like Vortex 

https://www.nolvus.net/

But games like BG3, always try to install them manually. I know its more work but its better around overall stability. I literally watch videos around " how to install mods for game x" to learn how the process works and it takes about 2-3 hours to understand the steps in manually installing them for each game 

I know Steam Workshop is convenient but it can  unintentionally create problems

I hear you all, but for me the inconvenience is pretty significant.

When I recently started playing enhanced BG1 I wanted to include a whole slew of mods for the first time. All the many mods people have been talking up for years. But once I started doing it, I quit after adding in around three mods because it was too much of a pain. I especially hated that you needed to add the mods in a specific sequence, and if you got even one small thing wrong, you had to delete all the mods, make sure you once again had a clean copy of the game, and then restart the process of adding the mods. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I sincerely hope not, steam workshop is a steaming pile of excrement, and segregating the modding scene is really bad.

Why would this result in a "segregating" of the modding scene? A mod can be made available in both places, no?

Workshop compatibility is something specifically added by the devs. I guess it promotes a laziness to just work within whatever that framework is. Similar to how indy devs say it is too much effort to release on more storefronts. In the end you get a de facto monopoly. Added to that, with a company that may not have itself given reason to distrust them, but also has given no reason to trust them, being based in a country that can be very anti-consumer.

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Workshop still beats mod.io and similar half-baked services

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I hear you all, but for me the inconvenience is pretty significant.

When I recently started playing enhanced BG1 I wanted to include a whole slew of mods for the first time. All the many mods people have been talking up for years. But once I started doing it, I quit after adding in around three mods because it was too much of a pain. I especially hated that you needed to add the mods in a specific sequence, and if you got even one small thing wrong, you had to delete all the mods, make sure you once again had a clean copy of the game, and then restart the process of adding the mods. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous!

Yes if you  take  games  like BG1&2 there  is a  recommended order and by not following that order  you can crash the game or create problems  and that happened to me 

For this type of game there  is mod  order  document you need  to use which is categorized  into mod types  like "all NPCs  at  the end " 

So yes thats  true  but I include that in the  4-5  hours of prepping that  I mentioned around watching videos

Its 4-5  hours  of inclusive research. But end of the day Steam Workshop does  generally  work but always read  the specific comments  from members   around each Steam mod because they will normally say "install this mod manually "   or " dont use Steam automatic  install for this mod "   

I also  think you dont install lots of mods  so automatic mod installation will be fine  for you 

But imagine installing the 2000 Nolvus  mods  manually :grin:

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why would this result in a "segregating" of the modding scene? A mod can be made available in both places, no?

Yes normally they are for mod purists  but Steam offers  financial incentives so it create a reality where some people are  considered "sell-outs " because they list  only on Steam 

But I find almost all  my mods  exist on Steam  and Nexus or smaller  mod sites that are  still active like moddb.com

https://www.moddb.com/

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

Because people are lazy, or they have forgotten that other storefronts exist. Have you tried downloading a mod from Steam if you don't own it on Steam? In some cases it is impossible, but in all cases it's definetly a headache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Ragbarok on PC in September

Another Sony game to my „buy at some point” wishlist

Hard pass on that PSN bull****. There are enough places on the internet already with my info, I don't need to put it in a network that has yearly data breaches. It also means that they will eventually pull the plug on it rendering the game inaccessible. Don't support that **** y'all.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

That's for multiplayer though? Ghost of S single player doesn't require it. 🤷‍♂️

It doesn't have multiplayer from what I heard, and you can't buy the game in any country that PSN doesn't "support".

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Azdeus said:

It doesn't have multiplayer from what I heard, and you can't buy the game in any country that PSN doesn't "support".

It does. The post release "Legends" mode. In GoTs PC release you don't have to have sign in to PSN account to play singleplayer, but you will to play the multiplayer mode. Yeah, I know of country limitation. It seems like Sony exects haven't fully thoughtout this "port to PC" thing, more than anything else. From what I understand that issue popped out rather recently and even PS employees weren't fully aware of remifications. They will definitely have to sort this thing out (either by expanding availability of PSN or, prefferably, use existing PC services.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

It does. The post release "Legends" mode. In GoTs PC release you don't have to have sign in to PSN account to play singleplayer, but you will to play the multiplayer mode. Yeah, I know of country limitation. It seems like Sony exects haven't fully thoughtout this "port to PC" thing, more than anything else. From what I understand that issue popped out rather recently and even PS employees weren't fully aware of remifications. They will definitely have to sort this thing out (either by expanding availability of PSN or, prefferably, use existing PC services.

I meant God of War in this case, from searches and from what Yongyeas said in his video God of War doesn't have any multiplayer at all.

• Thanks 1

https://www.metacritic.com/game/homeworld-3/

Ouch. The industry score means nothing. The bad user score is either a hissy fit, lots of those around, or a good indication of a terrible game. In truth I probably resemble all the old-school fanboys who have written bad reviews, so, I dunno. A pass 'i think. 

Jagged Alliance is 50% off, the new one.  I might get that instead.

• Like 3

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

3 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Ouch. The industry score means nothing. The bad user score is either a hissy fit, lots of those around, or a good indication of a terrible game. In truth I probably resemble all the old-school fanboys who have written bad reviews, so, I dunno. A pass 'i think. 

Do it.

giphy.webp

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:00 AM, Gorgon said:

Fair amount of user reviews moaning about woke stuff, or just being two lines.

Is why I want more MTX and GaaS.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra