In Space No One Can Hear You Scream a Funny Thread Title - The Starfield Thread

Keyrock

I have 3h 25m logged apparently, all on (fake) launch day. With every passing day it becomes less likely I'll ever come back to it.

I like Skyrim well enough, and have in the order of 150 hours in it. I gave both FO3 and FO4 more of a chance than I did Starfield, but even then I'd had enough after 20-odd hours. And I absolutely despise Oblivion.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

because next to it even vi seems easy to use. And, just so you know in case you have never used vi, well... that takes some doing.

Even as someone who had used vim extensively, using vi was a harrowing and arduous task. (For context, after a year of using vim for all my regular coursework, exams were conducted on machines which only had plain vi)

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

tl;dr: You can build awesome ships in Starfield but you will be fighting the interface every step of the way.

I'll say this, as awful as the interface and controls for the ship builder are, and they are GODAWFUL, the functionality is there to build whatever your heart desires... Within reasonable constraints. It will take longer than it should, because, again, the controls are horrific, but, given patience, you can build cool as **** ships. I don't expect Bethesda to do this, because we're talking about Bethesda, but hopefully modders can improve the interface and also add functionality that makes it clear where the hatch points for ladders will appear. If I knew where ladder hatches would appear I would plan out my ship to have one ladder to go between all decks and to the docking hatch rather than having them scattered seemingly randomly about the ship. I'm, sure... Well, somewhat sure, it's not actually random, we are talking about Bethesda, I wouldn't put it past them to not actually know themselves where the ladders will appear, but presumably THEY know where the ladders will appear. It sure would be useful for me to know where the ladders will appear when building the ship.ย 

Side-note: Why the **** does this game have 800 billion different types of ammunition? From a realism standpoint, it makes sense that peoples scattered all over the galaxy would have different ammo types. From the MUCH MORE IMPORTANT gameplay standpoint, it's horrendous and whoever made that design decision should be fired immediately. I'M ****ING LOOKING AT YOU TODD. STEP THE **** DOWN, YOU ARE ARE LIABILITY AT THIS POINT YOU ****ING HAS BEEN!

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธRFK Jr 2024๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Here's the list of ammo types in Starfield:

CRBn7oW.png

Why the **** would you do this? What is wrong with you, Todd? How is this beneficial to gameplay? (side-note: "How is this beneficial to gameplay?" is the question that should be asked whenever anything gets added to a game.) Here's the complete, unabridged list of ammo that should have been in the game:

• Handgun bullet
  • Rifle bullet
  • Shotgun Shell
  • Energy cartridge
  • RPG Grenade
  • Like 1

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Laredo, Combatech, Kore Kinetics use completely different technology so the ammo should reflect that, imo.

There are even 'old earth' weapons, wouldn't make much sense for them to use the same ammo as future weapons.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Laredo, Combatech, Kore Kinetics use completely different technology so the ammo should reflect that, imo.

There are even 'old earth' weapons, wouldn't make much sense for them to use the same ammo as future weapons.

From a realism standpoint it makes perfect sense that people on one planet would have standardized to different ammo types than people on a different planet 50 light years away. From a gameplay standpoint, it adds nothing but frustration to the game and clutters your inventory. Is it fun when you rummage through a room and find 12 different types of ammo and none of them are what you use? That's not a hypothetical, either. That's something that happens in this game fairly frequently. When realism and fun gameplay experience butt heads, fun gameplay experience should win every time.

I'll apply that same argument to the lame planets in this game. From a realism standpoint, 99% of rocky planets and moons would be dull, lifeless rocks. That doesn't make for a fun gameplay experience, though. Fun gameplay experience should have been prioritized over realism.

That's a mistake Todd made multiple times, he prioritized realism over fun gameplay experience. What makes it more baffling is that he prioritized realism over fun gameplay in a game where you play a ****ING SPACE WIZARD. If you're going to go for realism then go full-on hard sci-fi. I don't believe Bethesda has the writing chops to do hard sci-fi well, but they went for it anyway, but only went 80% hard sci-fi, but also SPACE WIZARDS. And before someone comes in here and WELL ACKSHUALLYS me and tells me about some wonderful book that's hard sci-fi but with space wizards, it's very likely possible to do hard sci-fi but with space wizards, but it requires high-level writing prowess to do well. Let's be honest here, Bethesda does not posses said high-level writing prowess.

ย 

Edited by Keyrock

Feature length cope lmao

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"Youย are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyย it seems like the creatorsย like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tย forgetย the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Areย you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralย camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

/looks at length of video

Nope. I'm not usually one to tl;dw, but in this case I'm going to tl;dw, because holy $#!+ that's nearly 2001: A Space Odyssey length.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FLCg4KdyE

ย 

this is the best videoย essayist

join us

168de85f13790be44c374104aea60b25.gif

I like a thorough examination as much as the next guy, but... There are such things are reasonable limits. I guess everybody has a different standard as to what that said limits are.

23 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I like a thorough examination as much as the next guy, but... There are such things are reasonable limits. I guess everybody has a different standard as to what that said limits are.

Pffffff... Those are rookie numbers. BTW, it's been 3 years and still wait for Witcher3 video. At this point it will end up being a week long conference.

Edit. I do think JA could be more concise. He tends to make interesting points, but overexplain and overargue them, likely in preparation for upcoming backlash. Noah, however, I think tends to put our quite interesting and thoughtful stuff.

edit2. Though while not purely game oriented I tend to check out whatever hbomberguy and Folding Ideas put out.

Edited by Wormerine

On 1/12/2024 at 3:15 PM, Hurlshort said:

LC, you'd probably spend 100 hours in the ship builder. :pย 

Maybe. I do like building stuff in games but it has to have the right combo of easy to learn/use yet robust, and some rules/limits that make it interesting (like the Structural Integrity/can collapse of 7 Days). If the building mechanics starts to feel too much like autocad or similar, I'm out.

I recall reading something about NG+ having some benefit or reason one would want to rush to it (best armor set, upgraded powers, not sure), and ofc ships/other wouldn't carry over. Now, I don't expect everything to carry over, but if you were interested in NG+ for those reasons, ships and outposts and all that could seem not worth the time until then. eg, rush to NG+. But just early complaints I heard, dunno if accurate/still true. Just depends on the type of player one is. I could easily see myself wanting to rush to NG+ and having that be the actual "final" save I'd work on forever etc.

โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts

4 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Forget this game, I'm shocked @LadyCrimsonisn't playing Palworld already.

It looks kind of cute. Maybe too cute for me, if that makes any sense. I did put it in my wishlist as a reminder.

But ... Early Access. :p

โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts