Food Thread - Those that eat

Keyrock

One last note on the steak thing. A good chunk of the people I served in the military with ended up going into food services and they all told me that by ordering your steak well done you're actually more likely to get a subpar cut of meat because you can cover up most of the sketchiness by cooking the hell out of it.

Last night I made p'sghetti with some jarred sauce that had porcini mushrooms that I punched up with sweet Italian sausage, tomato paste, spices, and pasta water. Tonight is leftovers.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I made some mac and cheese and steak. The mac used pecorino romano, gruyere, taleggio and marscapone and was fantastic. Probably won't do it for a while because it's a ton of calories and that cheese wasn't cheap, but it was good for a fancy take. For the steak I used the cold sear method and it wasn't the best, cooked a perfect medium-rare but lacking a good crust.

33 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

One last note on the steak thing. A good chunk of the people I served in the military with ended up going into food services and they all told me that by ordering your steak well done you're actually more likely to get a subpar cut of meat because you can cover up most of the sketchiness by cooking the hell out of it.

I've heard that before, as well as.....older inventory being more likely to give to folks asking for well done.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Next time I order steak, I'll tip 0.02.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

52 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

yeah, that aligns with our earlier observation, though am most definite not a pro cook or chef. the reason why am disappointed when family or friends ask us to cook well-done is cause doing so makes cut/grade choice and skill o' the preparer largely irrelevant. those prime cut ribeyes is wasted on cousin bobby (much like from goodfellas, all our east coast male relatives has names which end in a hard "e" sound--paulie, bobby tommy, etc.) who asks for well done. coulda' given him a select grade chuck steak and grill it to death and it would taste same as our careful prepared ribeye. in fact, chuck on the grill might taste better well done than our pan sear and infrared broiler efforts. at least the grill might add a smokey flavour to the meat.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All this talk of steak got me wanting to cook up some ribeyes tomorrow. With that in mind, I made chimichurri today:

yWOvvC3.jpeg

As with many sauces, it's better after it has sat in the fridge overnight, so I always make it at least a day ahead. If I can muster up the willpower to not cook the steaks tomorrow, it will get even better with an extra day of sitting. It's very herby... Herbaceous? I don't know what the right word is. Anyway, it's in some ways similar to a pesto, and like a pesto, you can freeze it and store it for long periods of time. It's a moot point in my house because I'll go through it quickly, I can guarantee that. My friend Thiago from Brazil introduced me to chimichurri and it changed my life. Everything else on steak is a significant step down. I'll put it on other meats too. My chimichurri is not as good as his, but he won't tell anyone the recipe, family secret. My chimichurri is still delicious, though.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Took a chapter out of @Azdeus' Food Heresy (tm).

grafik.png.6428eea5eb13a7b70c9c800027ecec43.png

Pizza with kebab. :p I guess any Italian boardies (not sure, don't think there are any that frequent this thread) will run to mommy to cry at the sight of this, but it is pretty tasty. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

@majesticHonestly, I'm curious to try that pizza, in my head that sounds good. Then again, I'm one of the few people that is apathetic toward pineapple on pizza. If you put a slice of Hawaiian in front of me, I'll eat without complaint. I'd never buy it for myself, though, because I could just get a Margherita instead. The most disliked thing on pizza I regularly see is barbecue sauce. Pizza with chicken and barbecue sauce is fairly common where I live. The chicken portion of that is fine, great even, but BBQ sauce on pizza just tastes wrong to me. I see it on menus everywhere, though, so it must be at least somewhat popular. I don't find it an affront to God or anything, I just don't like it and won't eat it.:shrugz:

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Pizza with kebab. :p I guess any Italian boardies (not sure, don't think there are any that frequent this thread) will run to mommy to cry at the sight of this, but it is pretty tasty. :yes:

so is an open-face gyro on pizza dough instead o' pita bread? sure. why not? 

chances are we would do chicago tavern style 'stead o' typical pizza dough, 'cause if am gonna have a gyro then why not just use a pita?

am doubtful anybody is curious, but tavern style is easy to make at home 'cause the curing o' the dough is pretty much fool proof and you cook at 500 fahrenheit, so no need for a special oven. for the tavern crust, you is for all intents and purposes making failed bread, and is nothing more simple then failure. once you get a little practice at making the tavern-style dough (which admitted does involve at least an overnight step, but am finding that letting the dough over ferment/rest three days in the fridge is ideal,) you may use the resulting crust for pretty much any topping you can imagine... much like pizza, but far more simple. 

btw, tavern style is a guarantee win with guests who will think you did something complicated and special when in reality you chose a path o' least resistance. 

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We had pizza. Hawaiian for my wife, cheese for my son, and mushroom and garlic with pepperoni on half for me. I also had a side of ranch dressing for dipping. I'm not a big fan of ranch but I eat it chicken wings and pizza occasionally. 

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not a big fan of ranch but I eat it chicken wings and pizza occasionally. 

What does ranch have to do with chicken wings? #TeamBlueCheese

I jest... Sort of. Ranch is an acceptable alternative when blue cheese is not available.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Biscuits and sausage gravy with bacon on the side and an over easy egg on top.

Are you sure you're not a southerner?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

My wacky cheeseburger pizza boat creation:

AN5234V.jpeg

It's ugly, but delicious. Not much to it: pizza dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and ground beef. I made it that shape so that I could pile the beef higher.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Nothing better than a bowl of hot soup on a cold day, so I made a giant pot of zupa szczawiowa for the current DEEP FREEZE🥶... Deep freeze by Cackalacky standards, that is.:lol:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

giving our self a much needed rest from family after making jibarito for a troop. is a fair amount o' effort for a sandwich, so is a once-or-twice a year event, but is worth it. admitted we didn't think the meal through as we got young relatives visiting and they always hang out in our kitchen while am cooking. ordinary we avoid anything requiring a deep fry when kids is underfoot. that said, nobody suffered 3rd degree burns today, so am calling it a win.

last night we had chicken vesuvio. (edit: we use yukon gold potatoes even though russets is traditional. yukon gold is a better braising potato. also, we hate when the peas in this dish is over cooked, so we add 'em near end of oven time.)

the chicago inspired menu theme were coincidental. 

maybe we make brownies for our young cousins. am not much into baking, but is easy and the kids can help. also, as the brownie were invented in chicago...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

Grilled chicken quarters.

Marinated overnight in mayo and Japanese BBQ sauce then grilled with a sweet honey BBQ sauce. I served it with rice that I cooked with a slice of bacon. I cheat on rice and make minute rice in the microwave... I don't like that about myself either but it comes out perfectly and quickly every time. I served it with a side of halved cherry tomatoes and salt and vinegar chips that I made in the air fryer.

My son ate an entire quarter by himself and my wife thought it was the weirdest pairing I've ever done but then cleaned her plate and half of mine.

• Like 1

For breakfast my son and I had a sirloin steak with over easy eggs and toast. My wife isn't a fan of steak for breakfast so she didn't want me to make a plate for her but she kept picking at my plate.

• Like 1

Soup-o-rama continues.

RE0GIM7.jpeg

I made a clean out the fridge special jambalaya.

bgy3BJk.jpeg

Delicious. Kind of hard to **** up a jambalaya.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Chilli and Cornbread.

I tried to post pics but they're too big and I'm too lazy to do anything. So just imagine a dutch oven full of dark red sauce with chunks of beef and a crispy golden disc about a foot in diameter. Probably the best thing I've eaten in a long time.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 1/15/2024 at 12:28 AM, Keyrock said:

My wacky cheeseburger pizza boat creation:

AN5234V.jpeg

It's ugly, but delicious. Not much to it: pizza dough, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and ground beef. I made it that shape so that I could pile the beef higher.

I have started  making my own pizzas,  I dont make the dough but I buy a fresh good quality supermarket  pizza  that you cook for 20 minutes with standard Margherita  base or  1-2  other  ingredients but then I add other  toppings 

This allows me  to be more creative and experimental 

This weekend  I cooked  fresh chicken livers  and added that with onions and  banana. Then I always  add extra  cheese  and this really  enhances the taste because I have used  mature cheddar,  gruyere,  blue cheese  or goat  cheese  but it always differs.  So the pizza  will always have Mozzarella and one other type of  cheese 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

This weekend  I cooked  fresh chicken livers  and added that with onions and  banana. Then I always  add extra  cheese  and this really  enhances the taste because I have used  mature cheddar,  gruyere,  blue cheese  or goat  cheese  but it always differs.  So the pizza  will always have Mozzarella and one other type of  cheese 

Hey @Azdeus look, you're no longer the worst food heathen on the forum. :x

• Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Hey @Azdeus look, you're no longer the worst food heathen on the forum. :x

Chicken livers on pizza  is delicious, you  can  also make it hot with chilli's and red   peppers and peppadews, Im not  sure if you get peppadews  in Austria?  They an SA export but really popular 

https://www.peppadew.com/products/ :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela