BG3

MrBrown

43 minutes ago, bugarup said:

I'm 3+ years from playing this game and am experiencing hype backslash already. 🧐

Im not waiting that long, lets say 3-6 months :dragon:

I

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, MrBrown said:

All my companions are coming onto me. It's quite annoying.

There seems to be some cut-off point, where you can lock in to a relationship. After that some of them started crying I chose someone else.

Yes, there is the party, in which companions verbally state if you gained enough reputation to get a cuddle. Believe it or not, but this is better that it was in EA. 

Unfortunately, problems don’t stop after that. Companions don’t take no for an answer and romance with Gale and Wyll still seemed to progress, even though I said no to them during the party. I think Laez might have too, but surprisingly enough she was delicate about it another that it didn’t bother. Both Wyll and Gale though got what seemed like a start of a romantic encounter where my PC was getting all starry eyed, until I said no, and got sad puppy eyes from both blokes. 

I suspect the issue is that in spite of what Larian claimed there isn’t much non-romance content (not that here is much romance content to begin with). Karlach and Astarion were the only companions that didn’t hit on my PC during the party, and frankly they have been barely preset in act2 - even though Karlach is a permanent member of my party. 

I will be honest, maybe in different playthroughs companions will show drastically different sides, but so far after act1 they feel very underwhelming - I don’t feel the presence of amount of work that supportively went into it. It would be fine if we got a lot of them, but companion cast seems very underwhelming to me so far - both in the size and narrative depth/consistency of the ensamble. 
I also have a feeling that decision to not kill off companions haven’t been done early, and the way characters behave when they didn’t witness something feels very off at times. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Yes, there is the party, in which companions verbally state if you gained enough reputation to get a cuddle. Believe it or not, but this is better that it was in EA. 

Unfortunately, problems don’t stop after that. Companions don’t take no for an answer and romance with Gale and Wyll still seemed to progress, even though I said no to them during the party. I think Laez might have too, but surprisingly enough she was delicate about it another that it didn’t bother. Both Wyll and Gale though got what seemed like a start of a romantic encounter where my PC was getting all starry eyed, until I said no, and got sad puppy eyes from both blokes. 

I suspect the issue is that in spite of what Larian claimed there isn’t much non-romance content (not that here is much romance content to begin with). Karlach and Astarion were the only companions that didn’t hit on my PC during the party, and frankly they have been barely preset in act2 - even though Karlach is a permanent member of my party. 

I will be honest, maybe in different playthroughs companions will show drastically different sides, but so far after act1 they feel very underwhelming - I don’t feel the presence of amount of work that supportively went into it. It would be fine if we got a lot of them, but companion cast seems very underwhelming to me so far - both in the size and narrative depth/consistency of the ensamble. 
I also have a feeling that decision to not kill off companions haven’t been done early, and the way characters behave when they didn’t witness something feels very off at times. 

Wormie you need to explain to your companions that " No means NO " !!!

But maybe you made your character too hot, how hot are you?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Wormie you need to explain to your companions that " No means NO " !!!

If only you got the option to say no. But instead of that you get endless amounts of very obvious hinting and flirting, and you have to just stand there.

55 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

If only you got the option to say no. But instead of that you get endless amounts of very obvious hinting and flirting, and you have to just stand there.

I liked the way they did Romance in DA:I, you can clearly see the Romance options marked with a heart and if you dont pursue it you dont experience it 

And I really tried to Romance Josephine but I failed :(

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Each companion has 1-2 quests in each act + long rest scenes. Though, some have more than others. Structurally, it felt similar to D:OS2 - introduction => development* => conclusion (branching). The approach is technically correct in terms of pacing, narrative, and interactivity, but it never felt good or engaging for me in any Larian game (that is to say, the issue is not with the structure). In the D&D game in particular, it might be because of the bugs with the closure/camp scenes - the companions cannot wait for 5 minutes and have to schedule their dialogue at a separate Long Rest, which might be hours after their quest. It was especially ridiculous with having Wyll and Karlach together in the camp within clear lines of sight before their scene triggered.

*in the D&D game some branching for a certain companion is available at that point.

6 hours ago, bugarup said:

I'm 3+ years from playing this game and am experiencing hype backslash already. 🧐

Judging by the rumours about cut or altered content and the previous Enhanced/Definitive/Developer's Cut Editions, this is a very reasonable prediction.

• Thanks 3

On 8/8/2023 at 11:10 AM, MrBrown said:

- Environmental effects and the imprecise character control. Constantly walking into fire, traps, toxic clouds, etc. Just lost a fight because I clicked to make a melee attacks, turns out character was 1mm too far, decided to take a detour through lava.

This drove me insane in both Original Sin games, so much so, that I actually gave up on BG3 as soon as I saw it had exactly the same combat. 

for a game that is touted as having "the best turn-based combat" it feels extremely sloppy and imprecise. not sure what the problem with making combat have a grid was, for example.  

Edited by sorophx
  • Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

18 minutes ago, sorophx said:

This drove me insane in both Original Sin games, so much so, that I actually gave up on BG3 as soon as I saw it had exactly the same combat. 

for a game that is touted as having "the best turn-based combat" it feels extremely sloppy and imprecise. not sure what the problem with making combat have a grid was, for example.  

Just in case, the combat is avoidable up to the middle of Act 2*. But yes, it is occasionally uncomfortable, even more so when there is any sort of verticality (the camera does not go up or down).

*though, the skill checks or stealth might be just as uncomfortable, considering how quick saving and D20 system usually interact and there is no pause (companions can and will step onto discovered traps).

Edited by Hawke64
  • Thanks 1

I fought some gnolls, rescued some folks from a burning building, and met some smugglers. At this point I think I've done most things besides the Goblin camp, which I guess I better go ahead and take care of.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I posted a screenshot of him on the first page of this thread - you can judge for yourself. It would say not hot, unless you are very into aging halfings.

• Hmmm 1

Blighted Village was a little disappointing. I tried to fight some goblins and they surrender. Fine, I'll accept that. But then Karlach fails a check and kills their leader anyway. Ok, it's a battle again, right? Wrong, they just stand there and let me take their weapons and kill them.

The ogres? I failed a stealth check and started a dialogue that ended up preventing a battle. I'd have reloaded, but it turns out there was a great benefit this time.

The spiders? Didn't stand a chance against Moonbeam. As for the ettercap, it somehow hit an AC 20 Karlach, but was killed by Gale's raven familiar. RNGesus at his best.

The only time a character was in danger was when I opened the barn and interrupted some people that got really angry about it. This was the one battle I wouldn't have minded avoiding. As Shadowheart put it: "Let's just put this behind us. Far behind us."

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

sign.jpg

13 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

The spiders? Didn't stand a chance against Moonbeam.

I didn't have a Druid for that fight so I had to lure the spider queen into a room to beat up on her. Hard encounter but pretty good.

I'm going to respec my Bard or forget some spells because it turns out I picked a lot of concentration options and you can only have one going at a time. No WotR 7 page buff routines in this game.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

48 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Blighted Village was a little disappointing. I tried to fight some goblins and they surrender. Fine, I'll accept that. But then Karlach fails a check and kills their leader anyway. Ok, it's a battle again, right? Wrong, they just stand there and let me take their weapons and kill them.

I always dislike when goblins in the BV surrender. I think it comes down to it being usually the first area after the grove, and after a lenghty period of time of talking, I am itching for some fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

That'd be a huge undertaking and I don't think it's very likely. But it's not like Larian could do worse than Beamdog.

Sounds like something for fans to do with mod tools should they ever be released, maybe with AI voice synthesis. What would Larian's influence on an already fully-written game even be?

Plus, from a selfish perspective, I kind of want them to get away from D&D. No doubt it's contributed to the commercial success of the game but it's more of a good game in spite of the ruleset, not because of it.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

can they remake bg3 in the infinity engine instead

• Like 10

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Bought the game. Played it for 20 minutes just to see that it runs Ok on my pc. Trying to get off some giant nautil (sp?), but will probably restart the game at some later point (putting a bit more thought into choice of race and class). More interested in my Lich run in Pathfinder and my current game of JA3 atm ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/3812913565885064204/

Here is  a list of cut content from BG3, this contains spoilers so be cautious. Obviously I am not sure what is a spoiler and what isnt but those who have played the game will know what the points are

I imagine most of this content will be included in a definitive edition so I will wait for that version to play BG3 🥂

• Thanks 4

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

can they remake bg3 in the infinity engine instead

make bg3, bg2, bg1 with the iwd2 rules implementation would be something we would pay good money to see.

aside, am knowing you dislike bards and perhaps if we saw bg3 implementation we would also like 'em less. however, we will observe the best bg2 stronghold quest were bard, but 'cause almost nobody played as a bard, all that content were wasted. last time we personal played a d&d bard were d20 and we thought it were fun. we also played and had fun with bard archetypes in pathfinder pnp: dwarven scholar & detective. we got good will built up for bards.

converse, years o' pnp experience has resulted in our reflexive dislike o' druids, a class almost invariably played as some kinda annoying hippie wannabe or as a 20th/21st century ecoterrorist. if somebody says they is gonna play a druid as part o' a pnp group, it takes effort for us to stifle a groan. have never once seen somebody play a druid other than cliché or cartoon. 

drizz't mucked up the ranger class for many players, but to be fair, 2nd edition went all in on the drizz't silliness by adding dual-wield as a class feature. even so, were drow fan boys and not tsr who added lame to the class. ranger has been busted ever since 2nd edition.

paladins is rare played well, but am admitting we has seen exceptions to a general trend.

we ordinarily avoid druids, rangers and paladins in d&d crpgs cause o' our dislike o' how they is played in pnp... which doesn't actual make much sense. irrational doesn't change the fact we tend to avoid those three classes.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Not for me, I am very  happy with the EE and old versions of BG

Larian must focus on refining BG3 and maybe a definitive edition  and then future  development projects should be BG4 or D:OS3 

• Like 1

John Milton 

9 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Sounds like something for fans to do with mod tools should they ever be released, maybe with AI voice synthesis. What would Larian's influence on an already fully-written game even be?

Plus, from a selfish perspective, I kind of want them to get away from D&D. No doubt it's contributed to the commercial success of the game but it's more of a good game in spite of the ruleset, not because of it.

I am not sure if the previous attempt, Baldur's Gate Reloaded (based on the NWN2 tools), has succeeded. This kind of projects seems to be too ambitious to be completed by volunteers in a reasonable amount of time. Though, Skyblivion might be close to the full release.