BG3

MrBrown

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've continued to play little bits here and there, not making a ton of progress but a little. I finally went to camp once and Astarion and Lae'zel seem to already have the hots for me real bad, and it's kind of skeeving me out. Like...guys, I just met you. Today. Literally today. Could we, like...not?

I'm not sure if  there's ever been a game with a larger disconnect between the time that could and should pass on your adventures and the time that actually does, because time is basically "frozen" on the same day until you go and rest. If you hike from the Nautiloid to the old temple where you meet Withers, then move on to the Grove, explore that, talk to the people, maybe even clear out parts of the Blighted Village - well, that's like a couple of hours of real life cRPG time, but in terms of any regular PnP campaign that would be several sessions, easily, and quite a lot of time for the characters.

That's just all not very well designed, at least not for me and my preferences. Act 1 is basically the sum total of all Baldur's Gate wilderness areas stitched together, forming one giant map, with the really big holes of nothing removed. It is a super dense blob of things to do you're thrown in with no sense of time progression at all (mostly because there really is none, aside from the game's internal round counter and a pseudo-advancement of time when you go to camp and come back without resting) and arguably worse, no clear sense of direction.

Baldur's Gate at least was nice enough to provide you with a destination and a trail to pick up that would not prove to be overly problematic to your party. You could vector away from that, of course, and run into your fair share of maps you should not be in and find yourself fighting Ankhegs or getting wiped out by Basilisks with your trusty level one group (although those Basilisks make for really good experience even with very low level characters once you know what you're doing) but if you follow Baldur's Gate 3's meager pointers the game - quite literally and in a break of immersion - tells you that your party is in for a really bad time if you move on or you end up potentially facing a hike in encounter difficulty that puts the Owlfinder games to shame while trying to solve the Druid Grove's problems.

All things you should logically prioritize because the game drives home how much of a priority they are. Instead you have to go on side adventures to reach a good enough level. Well, have to, there are ways around everything, as always, but as far as the "intended" way to play the game goes, I have no idea how it got all those glowing reviews. Yes, going to the Friendly Arm Inn and then to Nashkell without spending some time poking around in Beregost would net you two pretty annoying battles with assassins in Baldur's Gate that could potentially be devastating, but they're nothing compared to the killer sheep in Larian's game. :yes: 

Then again, I don't know how glowing reviews come to be for a lot of games, TV shows and movies, so clearly it is not just the Baldur's Gate 3's problem. :p

• Like 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I'm not sure if  there's ever been a game with a larger disconnect between the time that could and should pass on your adventures and the time that actually does, because time is basically "frozen" on the same day until you go and rest. If you hike from the Nautiloid to the old temple where you meet Withers, then move on to the Grove, explore that, talk to the people, maybe even clear out parts of the Blighted Village - well, that's like a couple of hours of real life cRPG time, but in terms of any regular PnP campaign that would be several sessions, easily, and quite a lot of time for the characters.

That's just all not very well designed, at least not for me and my preferences. Act 1 is basically the sum total of all Baldur's Gate wilderness areas stitched together, forming one giant map, with the really big holes of nothing removed. It is a super dense blob of things to do you're thrown in with no sense of time progression at all (mostly because there really is none, aside from the game's internal round counter and a pseudo-advancement of time when you go to camp and come back without resting) and arguably worse, no clear sense of direction.

Baldur's Gate at least was nice enough to provide you with a destination and a trail to pick up that would not prove to be overly problematic to your party. You could vector away from that, of course, and run into your fair share of maps you should not be in and find yourself fighting Ankhegs or getting wiped out by Basilisks with your trusty level one group (although those Basilisks make for really good experience even with very low level characters once you know what you're doing) but if you follow Baldur's Gate 3's meager pointers the game - quite literally and in a break of immersion - tells you that your party is in for a really bad time if you move on or you end up potentially facing a hike in encounter difficulty that puts the Owlfinder games to shame while trying to solve the Druid Grove's problems.

All things you should logically prioritize because the game drives home how much of a priority they are. Instead you have to go on side adventures to reach a good enough level. Well, have to, there are ways around everything, as always, but as far as the "intended" way to play the game goes, I have no idea how it got all those glowing reviews. Yes, going to the Friendly Arm Inn and then to Nashkell without spending some time poking around in Beregost would net you two pretty annoying battles with assassins in Baldur's Gate that could potentially be devastating, but they're nothing compared to the killer sheep in Larian's game. :yes: 

Then again, I don't know how glowing reviews come to be for a lot of games, TV shows and movies, so clearly it is not just the Baldur's Gate 3's problem. :p

I think that my biggest issue with BG3 is the lack of a pause button.

The second would be lack of a day/night cycle and time only passing with Long Rests. It's a pretty staggering thing that's missing from a game that's otherwise unusually reactive.

Baa.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

And to think Lae'zel started the day saying: "Abomination, this is your end."

What I found to be really disconcerting was that she went straight from "YOU SURE ARE AN UGLY BASTARD" to "HEY I'M QUITE FOND OF YOU, NOW I THINK YOU'RE VERY PRETTY" in literally the next line. I was dying inside so much, and was like...okay, I guess this is one of those games where I'm going to have to not talk to my companions sometimes. I'm not playing a visual novel or dating simulator here, I don't want characters to immediately glue themselves to me in the cringiest manner possible. Honestly, I wish I could just disable the approval system entirely and just leave everyone at neutral or maybe mild approval with no way of going higher.

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Yeah, that's pretty much my situation: there really hadn't been any combat that I needed to do anything besides cast cantrips and shoot arrows for a very long while, and I was making judicious use of always sneaking around and attacking before being seen, which usually means that my characters get two attacks before enemies get even one. Most battles end before enemies can move. (Also, while all of that could be accomplished in "a couple of real life cRPG hours", in practice it took significantly longer because of wandering around looking at every little thing I can.)

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Then again, I don't know how glowing reviews come to be for a lot of games, TV shows and movies, so clearly it is not just the Baldur's Gate 3's problem.

It's definitely not constructed in a way that I feel I can really get into, and I think that's a shame. My sense of time, direction, pacing, and just...there being any sort of realness/grounding to the game world or its characters are all severely off for a myriad of reasons, both little and large...and though I seem to enjoy myself fine enough when I am actually playing it (which has been a handful of hours each week - shorter sessions being my way of trying to pace the game, perhaps), there's this increasingly grave feeling of discontent looming over me that I really don't like. Actually, it's very similar to the feeling I get when I try to watch a show that is just fun or funny without offering much anything else that I care about, like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. For a few hours, that might be fine, but it becomes a much tougher ask with longer durations.

2 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think that my biggest issue with BG3 is the lack of a pause button.

The second would be lack of a day/night cycle and time only passing with Long Rests. It's a pretty staggering thing that's missing from a game that's otherwise unusually reactive.

I've been using the "manually enter turn-based mode" 'pause' button a ton whenever I'm playing. It's too useful for a number of situations to ignore. Also, no day/night cycle is about as bad as there being very little environmental audio, if not worse: it feels like I've been in daylight for bloody forever. Never underestimate the power of a windy or even rainy night.

P.S. Confession time: I thought the turn-based combat would be my biggest problem in this game, but honestly, it feels like combat moves faster in this game than it did in Pillars of Eternity, or maybe there's just a lot less of it, or its use feels more appropriate, or...something. It surprisingly has not been too much of an issue for me, which makes it doubly unfortunate that I'm having trouble sticking to the game because of other issues.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Throw some water at her.

I thought it was a bug. I tried to do it a second time, but it didn’t work.

Anyway, after saving the grove, it was time for the party and only half of the companions wanted to sleep with me. Not sure what you guys are doing to have all of them interested.:p That said, the game really tried to get me to seduce the other half, considering the dialogue options. I was surprised the Tieflings were behaving and the hireling didn’t say that “this vessel is at your disposal”. Considering that it's a puppet, who knows what Withers is into.

As for actually doing it, I'll wait for Karlach. She did explicitly say it would be ok for me to have relations with someone else (or more than one for that matter), but I decided not to. Even so, Astarion rejected and despised me, not that I hinted at anything. Shadowheart and Gale were subtle, so I pretended I didn’t know what they were talking about. Wyll was feeling depressed, and I just left him alone. As for Lae’zel, she went full horny (and pissed off) out of nowhere, but also assumed I was not interested, implying she would do something by herself. Perhaps I should have brought the Loviatar guy to make her company, instead of killing him.

46 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

she went straight from "YOU SURE ARE AN UGLY BASTARD" to "HEY I'M QUITE FOND OF YOU, YOU'RE VERY PRETTY" in literally the next line.

That is actually really nice. For me, she went from "We need to find the Githyanki kindergarten" to "You are a trophy that makes me crazy, but since you don't let me join the party, you won't feel my fingers."

Edit: Astarion doesn't find me attractive:

Spoiler

Astarion.png

Drunk Shadowheart:

Spoiler

Drunk-Shadowheart.png

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

it's very similar to the feeling I get when I try to watch a show that is just fun or funny without offering much anything else that I care about, like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

429-4295715_hd-dio-brando-stardust-crusa

I've been using the "manually enter turn-based mode" 'pause' button a ton whenever I'm playing. It's too useful for a number of situations to ignore. Also, no day/night cycle is about as bad as there being very little environmental audio, if not worse: it feels like I've been in daylight for bloody forever. Never underestimate the power of a windy or even rainy night.

I uhh, did not know about manual turn based for quite a while into the game when I tried to do some prebuffs before an ambush.

The day/night stuff and lack of weather effects does bother me a lot, I'm in the Underdark now and it's a refreshing break to what has been mostly a very bright and sunny experience. It's also kind of weird because there is a subclass based around storms and another around darkness (as well as a vampire spawn and a Shar worshipper as companions), so you'd think they'd throw them a bone and let them play in the rain or night.

P.S. Confession time: I thought the turn-based combat would be my biggest problem in this game, but honestly, it feels like combat moves faster in this game than it did in Pillars of Eternity, or maybe there's just a lot less of it, or its use feels more appropriate, or...something. It surprisingly has not been too much of an issue for me, which makes it doubly unfortunate that I'm having trouble sticking to the game because of other issues.

I think that there is less of it and it does move faster than PoE/2, which tended to be a very slow games due to several factors (especially Deadfire). I think of all the time I've spent in the game maybe 20% has been in combat.

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I thought it was a bug. I tried to do it a second time, but it didn’t work.

It may be, but if you cool her down (I used water, but maybe cold damage stuff could work too) she does have some extra dialogue after that.

who knows what Withers is into

Findom.

That is actually really nice. For me, she went from "We need to find the Githyanki kindergarten" to "You are a trophy that makes me crazy, but since you don't let me join the party, you won't feel my fingers."

I think Lae'zel drastically overestimates her own and the Githyanki's generally competence and power so when she calls you ugly she's trying to "neg" you and dominate. If it comes across as awkward and unpleasant then that's inline with real life. 

For my party Karlach told me to have fun, Astarion wanted to ****, Lae'zel wanted to **** Astarion, Gale told me Shadowheart was a special lady and also hit on me, Wyll wanted to brood, and Shadowheart wanted to get drunk. Alfira's blood is still on the ground from that time the urge murdered her and the imp butler has been a no show lately.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

There are some encounters with a massive amount of enemies, and then you wish this had real-time combat.

• Like 2

Rich of Lae'zel to call anyone ugly and Astarion kinda looks like recently deceased Wagner boss Prigozhin especially when he makes dour faces. Anyway, Internet told me you can romance an actual bona fide Mindflayer, so that's who I'm going after in the distant future. :yes: Unless there is something even more outlandish. 

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

36 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Anyway, Internet told me you can romance an actual bona fide Mindflayer, so that's who I'm going after in the distant future. :yes: Unless there is something even more outlandish. 

You can have sex with one. Everything is called a romance these days.

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, majestic said:

I mostly agree.

Considering that time is frozen until you reach a location (as a piece of the map) and an invisible timer starts ticking when you do, these locations could have been separated into smaller and more manageable maps, thus providing the feeling of actual travel.

The sense of direction is kind of present in the journal (which I read on the second playthrough): need to find a healer > there might be one in the settlement > the locals said he was kidnapped > need to save the healer > need to kill the goblin leaders > need to travel to the Spoiler-rise Tower. In Act 2 it's mostly following a certain NPC's orders and another NPC's in Act 3 + "find allies" (whom you won't need anyway). But, as you said, if you follow this logical path without exploring significantly more (after you've been told that the best healer there cannot help you, because your tadpole is "special", so in-character you know that it is useless), you will be under-levelled and under-equipped.

To be fair, Larian's D&D game offers quite a lot of environmental interactivity (like TES - not much consequences unless really specific and intentional*, but when it works, it kind of breaks the intended path), allows to skip a lot of content should one want to do so, which is very rare, thus admirable, and the PC can actually jump, which even rarer in CRPGs (probably, because you usually don't need to, but still). On the other hand, considering how real-time everything is, the turn-based combat and the lack day/night cycle and NPC routine are very noticeable.

*Could have been done as dialogue options - "[Str 18] Do you want to build a tower of boxes and jump over the wall?" or "[Wis 18] Do you want to put a bucket on the merchant's head?". I think, The Age of Decadence did it.

1 hour ago, bugarup said:

Anyway, Internet told me you can romance an actual bona fide Mindflayer, so that's who I'm going after in the distant future. :yes: Unless there is something even more outlandish. 

You indeed can and it is not exactly challenging to do, though the "romance" probably should be in quotation marks.

13 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

For my party Karlach told me to have fun, Astarion wanted to ****, Lae'zel wanted to **** Astarion, Gale told me Shadowheart was a special lady and also hit on me, Wyll wanted to brood, and Shadowheart wanted to get drunk. Alfira's blood is still on the ground from that time the urge murdered her and the imp butler has been a no show lately.

No, Shadowheart doesn't simply want to get drunk. If you agree to meet with her later, Gale and Lae'zel will assume you will have sex with her. Not sure how they find out. Either Gale uses the telescope, Shadowheart braggs about it or one of the Tieflings likes to gossip. I was following this route, but then I decided to reload because I didn't want to cheat on Karlach, despite her consent to it.

Interestingly, Lae'zel only said she would sleep with Astarion when she thought I would be with Shadowheart. 🤔

As for Karlach, I used create water and now there is a permanent puddle in her part of the camp.

11 hours ago, bugarup said:

Unless there is something even more outlandish. 

There is. Play as a Druid and "romance" the Mindflayer while shapeshifted. I'll let you decide what would be more bizarre, the badger, the deep rothé or the spider.

• Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

44 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I'll never understand the need to pit these games against each other. Like, do you only get to play one game in life? They are both great RPG's, yay. 

There can be only one...queue mortal kombat music...

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Apparently Paladin is the most played class for custom characters with Fighter being in the middle of the pack. I didn't expect that.

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

I'll never understand the need to pit these games against each other. Like, do you only get to play one game in life? They are both great RPG's, yay. 

The tournament arc is the unfortunate end towards of almost every narrative.

But also clickbait for articles and youtube videos.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I'm more interested in why BG3 seems to be way more popular than PF:WotR, not really pitting them against each other.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3669924544104905987?l=english

So BG3 doesn’t have “cut content” as was suspected (aka. stuff Larian wanted in the game but didn’t finish in time to ship). As such those hoping for major “restored content” patch, hoped in vain. Still, Larian is paying attention to feedback and look to address some of the complaints. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some events in Act 3 do lack reactivity (like throwing a boss into the chasm only for it to climb back to die in the post-battle cut-scene), though I am unsure if "not implemented" content counts as "cut".

One of the reasons why we trimmed the epilogue is because we were afraid the ending cinematics were becoming too long and would detract from the epicness of the experience. But clearly, not everyone agrees with us! So we’re going to do something about it.

It didn't have to be a one "epic" cut-scene. Slides would be sufficient and relatively easy to do (1 already drawn concept art or screenshot + 1-2 sentences). Though, getting the quest flags to be set correctly might be not so easy.

I suppose, the Definitive Edition will fix most of the issues that are not considered "features" and it is nice that the developers are listening to the feedback. Still, would have preferred a more finished game after 3 years of EA.

(Hard to balance the negativity).

15 hours ago, Wormerine said:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3669924544104905987?l=english

So BG3 doesn’t have “cut content” as was suspected (aka. stuff Larian wanted in the game but didn’t finish in time to ship). As such those hoping for major “restored content” patch, hoped in vain. Still, Larian is paying attention to feedback and look to address some of the complaints. 

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2F4pn7mio50alb1.jpg%3Fwidth%3D453%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3Df0f190af79e3fc51c263cf73c8d7beb9dac19317

• Thanks 1

It's one of the unmarked "romance" options, as far as I know. ("Do you see me differently now?", if I'm not mistaken). I hope they will be more transparent in the Definitive Edition (either rewriting to "Hey, wanna bang?" or "You look like a swell lass/lad/person" or just adding the [flirt] tag).

Edit. The difference between the writers' intentions* and the player's expectations** might lead to rather uncomfortable experiences and situations, not counting the bugs (scene triggers not registering correctly). @Bartimaeus Sorry. I think the only other "romance" scene that might be unpleasant and is easy to encounter happens in Act 3. Though, I haven't used Long Rests in Act 1 much and these scenes are mostly there.

* ("obviously, the PC would ask if Lae'zel is interested in casual sex with them right after meeting her")

** (going through the neutral-looking dialogue options one by one to get the general idea about the companion)

Edited by Hawke64
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

And I thought Lae'zel was horny before. I put her in the party to meet with her people and she went completely mad. I actually thought she would try to force herself on me.

Hide contents

Laezel1.png

Laezel.png

Laezel2.png

That first screenshot is the line she gave to me immediately after she got done telling me that I was wretched and vile, literally the first time I talked to her in camp. I did not find it to be altogether kosher.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm finished with the underdark and ready to hit the shadow cursed lands, which I have been repeatedly told are a very bad place. I saved some gnomes from slavery, picked up an amulet that tries to make me laugh, and made some adamantine armor for my bard and Karlach. The fights are generally easier because Swords bard has some very high potential burst damage coupled with hypnotism, but that forge golem was bull****.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

but that forge golem was bull****.

Forge golem is a gimmick fight - it’s very possible to kill him by just using lava and conventional weapons but

what you are supposed to do is lure him through lava to the centre of the forge and crush him with it - one such strike will take 50% of his health.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Forge golem is a gimmick fight - it’s very possible to kill him by just using lava and conventional weapons but

Reveal hidden contents

what you are supposed to do is lure him through lava to the centre of the forge and crush him with it - one such strike will take 50% of his health.

The annoying thing about that fight is the flimsy positioning, when you're either too far for the golem to stay in lava, or the golem is just too far so your character pathes through lava.

Otherwise it's an ok fight.