What are you Playing Now? - Games don't make you violent, lag does

6 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Kai Leng is waiting for you.

"On a second thought, let's not go there. It's a silly place"

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Always nice to see plot induced stupidity in games, Diablo 4 is no exception. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

that was the worst part of me3

Except for the dream sequences with the little kid that died, the ridiculous deus ex machina way to solve the plot and the entire ending fiasco. I really don't get the hate for Kai Leng. Wait, no, I do, because he's a terribly written character, but it seems so minor compared to the real problems of the game that show up five minutes after the introduction is over.

That's like ordering your steak bloody rare with a side of corn and fries, and you get it well done with a side of corn and potato wedges and then you go on complaining to everyone that the steak place mixed up your potato side dishes. Sure that's annoying, but it's not worse than a well done steak. Sheesh. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Except for the dream sequences with the little kid that died, the ridiculous deus ex machina way to solve the plot and the entire ending fiasco. I really don't get the hate for Kai Leng. Wait, no, I do, because he's a terribly written character, but it seems so minor compared to the real problems of the game that show up five minutes after the introduction is over.

That's like ordering your steak bloody rare with a side of corn and fries, and you get it well done with a side of corn and potato wedges and then you go on complaining to everyone that the steak place mixed up your potato side dishes. Sure that's annoying, but it's not worse than a well done steak. Sheesh. :p

I dunno, Kai Leng annoyed me way more than those things.

On 6/5/2023 at 9:45 AM, Gorth said:

Finished my game of Mass Effect 2. I deliberately went with a less than perfect ending (I don't think I've ever killed any team/crew members before) to satisfy my curiosity. No maxing out of Jack or Zaeed resulted in a dead engineer Daniels (I did like the innuendo and fun dialogue between Daniels and Donnelly throughout the game) and as well as Presley and the biggest loss of all... Chambers. By extension, all my fish died soon after 😖

I guess nobody really cared about Zaeed, as he survived despite not getting his way (I saved the refinery workers, no loyalty there), whereas Jack did bite the bullet before the end. I suspect the former is because he was a DLC addon IIRC, so no consequences either way?

It will probably be a while before I play ME2 again. I chose Miranda as the romance option btw, that's how Jack ended up failing the loyalty test, as I didn't have enough light/dark side power to persuade her (having already done Miranda's mission, I could have sided with Jack to maximize both team members loyalty, but that would ruin the experiment). I managed to squeeze both Legion and Tali into the team without them killing each other. Not that they didn't try to  at first. Lots of characters I never really bothered with though. It's possible I did in the first half dozen runs back when the game is new. Generally stuck with Miranda, Mordin, Grunt and Kazumi for most missions that didn't require specific team members.

Now off to play ME3.

There is some sort of complex survivability rating for each character, depending on their role, loyalty, and team composition. So, it is entirely possible to have a fully loyal team and lose some of them and vice versa. The non-combat crew survivability depends solely on the reaction time - the sooner you start the final mission, the more survives. It also introduces a problem with the ME3 world state generator - it is either the loyalty missions or alive non-combatants, but not both.

11 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

that was the worst part of me3

As mentioned above, the OOC PTSD was worse. Kai Leng is poorly introduced and written in-game (he first appeared in one of the ME books and seemed less annoyingly dumb), and covered in plot armour, but fine otherwise.
The ending is fine, though I would have preferred it to be more open.
---

Finished Record of Lodoss War ~Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth~. Enjoyed it overall, though cannot see another playthrough.
Review:

Spoiler

Record of Lodoss War ~Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth~ is a Metroidvania.

The story follows the titular protagonist Deedlit as she navigates the Labyrinth and has only one ending. The exploration is reasonably interesting and the bosses are diverse and engaging. The graphics and sound are gorgeous. The controls are comfortable and rebindable, but mice are not supported. The game uses checkpoints, overwriting into the same slot.

The two elemental spirits, Sylph (wind) and Salamander (fire), used for both combat and exploration, and utilised heavily during boss battles. Additionally, there are several elemental spells, melee weapon types, and bows to equip.

The only negative aspects are that the protagonist is knocked back upon taking damage, including out of an area, the foes revive upon exiting a "room", and the story is hard to understand at the beginning without being familiar with the original work (novels or anime series).

One bug was encountered during the playthrough - the uncompressed screenshots are saved in the game's save folder (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Deedlit_in_Wonder_Labyrinth) and removed upon restarting the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Yeah, but I really had my heart set on shoestring fries, potato wedges just aren't the same.

What annoyed me the most about Kai Leng was the LUDICROUS amount of plot armor he was wearing. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

19 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Oh, I forgot to say this about D4: I have below min specs, and D4 keeps telling me to upgrade my ****, but I had absolutely no trouble running it. 

Some textures are a bit bland, that's all. 😜

(One crash, and that seems to have been a server issue)

Haven't had any crashes, which is a surprise, running the game is pretty smooth - my 4790k/980 rig endures.  Funnily enough my friend who is playing on PS5 has had two issues forcing a restart.

Blizzard was paying the people to work on Act 4 by the hour it seems, sort of weird to go through it. Reminded me of that chapter in TLJ that was one screen.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How are you all done with the campaign already? It takes ages to clear each area, find everything, and move on.

Spoiler

Don't tell me that I can just not complete an area before moving on to the next. That's not how my OCD works. :p

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, majestic said:

I would find it difficult to rate things that were "the worst" in ME3 - too much is fighting for the no 1 spot. Kai Leng, however, is just a nice self-cointained piece one can point toward to as being crap from start to finish. I would count kid as well, though I think there is some merit in the concept itself (Shepard struggling with his PTSD) even if it is handled ineffectively.

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

How are you all done with the campaign already? It takes ages to clear each area, find everything, and move on.

Reveal hidden contents

Don't tell me that I can just not complete an area before moving on to the next. That's not how my OCD works. :p

I'm not, just about 50% of the way through. I've been skipping quests a bit rather than clearing the area mostly as I want to finish the story.  Did a sidequest where a daughter was oddly okay with her zombie mother, heh.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hide contents

I have done same until I find out that you get horse in ACT4!!! then I speed runned to that point so I dont have to walk everywhere

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

10 hours ago, majestic said:

Few things are worse than a well done steak. I would rather watch a feature length AI animated Shepard x Kai Leng catboy vore adventure than eat a steak cooked more than medium.

Mass Effect 3 is a mess, but Mass Effect as a whole is a mess tbh. I mean the Reapers did get worse from game to game, but "we're saving you by harvesting you lmao" is top tier dumb. Toping that off with plot armor ninja man, ptsd simulator, the dumbest possible resolution, generally buckets of bland, and of course a multiplayer minigame that's heavily incentivized to get the "good" endings is just awful. It's like they made a game intentionally bad rather than go for a underwhelming landing. 

I think we can all agree the best ending for Mass Effect 3 would have been fast forwarding thousands of years into the future where Shepard has become a worm-human hybrid that rules over the galaxy as the god-emperor. No explanation of how it happens or why, just a flash of the man-worm god-emperor moving across the desert before rolling the credits.

55 minutes ago, Sarex said:

If it's pink, it stinks.

giphy-1.gif?ssl=1

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I get it, y'all like your steaks well done. :x

I just don't much like steaks.

Apropos the ME3 ending, it didn't bother me as much, but mainly because the whole starchild god thing was so unbelievably stupid that I couldn't help but laugh. So at least I got that bit of enjoyment out of it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Steaks must be like blackened like my soul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

giphy-1.gif?ssl=1

With my steak.

It's not even a matter of taste, although I like my chicken crunchy, it's a matter of trusting the meat you eat. I don't trust it at all. It's not like I will not eat meat that is a little pinkish, which I guess is medium-well done, but i like my meat sanitized.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Reveal hidden contents

You can't complete areas 100% immediately, more stuff appears as you level up or progress through the campaign.

16 minutes ago, Sarex said:

With my steak.

That is where well done steak is from.

17 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It's not even a matter of taste, although I like my chicken crunchy, it's a matter of trusting the meat you eat. I don't trust it at all. It's not like I will not eat meat that is a little pinkish, which I guess is medium-well done, but i like my meat sanitized.

Most of the bacteria on steak is on the surface, so unless you get a really bad steak it'll be safe to eat rare, and if it's bad you'll have some issues regardless. Medium hits the temp that's considered enough to kill all bacteria if you're worried about it. No good reason to eat a steak cooked more than medium.

Of course chicken is best crunchy, I can't really think of a good chicken meal that isn't crunchy or involves a flavorful sauce or broth to make up for the loss of texture. The English can keep their unseasoned boiled chicken to themselves.

I haven't played too much videogames lately. I did play Hades a bit last week but I haven't had the inclination to play anything that takes a big focus.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Prometheus didn't go get his liver eaten out daily by an eagle, for people to just eat their food raw.

Honour his sacrifice.

Eat your steak like charcoal.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

4 hours ago, majestic said:

I don’t think I ever had a proper steak. I mostly eat food I make myself, and and steak always felt like something that is too expensive and very easy to ruin so I stick to more fool proof dishes. Also I don’t think I could batch cook steak and microwave it throughout the week, so just a significantly too much hassle.

What if I like my steak medium rare, does it make me the world's most laughable centrist? :unsure: Anyway, just fought Lizzie's not-mum. Thrice. Someone was really proud with that encounter, but sniper rifle + camping next  to shopkeeper automaton = cheesed it like a champ.

Edited by bugarup