Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

i wonder how they clinically prove which species have the most/least deadly venoms

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Why would they rate them, why would anyone own them as a hobby? Why?!?

Some people just love certain animals so much they can't help but be deeply involved and surround themselves with them. The passionate lunacy is what makes them tick, and presumably how we learn so much about these things in the first place. Completely insane people putting their interests and talents to good use is what makes the world go round! I don't really care too much about snakes so I'm not terribly tempted to follow this guy beyond the odd video majestic posts in here, but if there was a YouTuber whose presentation that I liked that covered spiders in much the same way, I'd probably keep up with it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Some people just love certain animals so much they can't help but be deeply involved and surround themselves with them. The passionate lunacy is what makes them tick, and presumably how we learn so much about these things in the first place. Completely insane people putting their interests and talents to good use is what makes the world go round! I don't really care too much about snakes so I'm not terribly tempted to follow this guy beyond the odd video majestic posts in here, but if there was a YouTuber whose presentation that I liked that covered spiders in much the same way, I'd probably keep up with it.

I don't mind snakes, but why own venomous snakes apart for research or to make money in a zoo. Seems like such a risk. But yeah, I guess they are "passionate" (insane).

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

am only a midling fan o' star talk as topics is dumbed down a bit too much, but we always check to see who is the guest 'cause frequent there is win. case in point, am rare turning down a chance to hear michio kaku though you are gonna get better quantum computing feedback than from this video. even so, is always worth a looksee and so we do.

we also regular check out berkeley lectures series

lunch poems series is worth the time but am admitting we only got an average ear for poetry.  in addition to the oppenheimer lectures, we ordinary catch the nimitz speakers.

two others:

the linus pauling memorial lecture series

and for something a bit different

edit: in the unlikely event @Amentep @ShadySands or other trek fans have an urge to watch the leonard susskind video, am offering a word o' caution 'cause the stanford professor tangential points out how a few o' the scifi theories which is cornerstones o' trek lore are unsupportable based on current understandings o' quantum mechanics and general relativity.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I actually don't mind the treknobabble not being up to snuff. My knowledge of most of the science is very limited so as long as they can pass that low bar I'm not going to notice. For the stuff that I do notice, it'll probably depend on if I think they tried or not, which is obviously unknowable.

It might even just come down to the actor's delivery of the lines or my bias against nuTrek.

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 7/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Completely insane people putting their interests and talents to good use is what makes the world go round! I don't really care too much about snakes so I'm not terribly tempted to follow this guy beyond the odd video majestic posts in here, but if there was a YouTuber whose presentation that I liked that covered spiders in much the same way, I'd probably keep up with it.

He does spiders, from time to time...

In case anyone wonders what the worst rated pet on the channel is, with a whooping 0.6 out of 5 points:

Spoiler

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, as a kid, I used to have pet black widows. Well, they were less "pets" and more "an infestation local to my home", but the same idea, really. They're pretty cool.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The only spiders I know of that leave me unsettled are the little ones with too long legs, like daddy long legs. Black widows look delightful in comparison, but the best spiders are the fuzzy ones, like tarantulas and jumping spiders.

The only spiders I didn't like were the huntsmen, that sometimes visited my place, running over the living room floor, when I first moved to Brisbane. About 12cm-15cm leg span (4.5"-6" for the metrically challenged). The smaller Redback spiders hanging out in my shower cabin didn't bother me so much. Persistent little buggers though, every time I removed them, a new one would move in, at the exact same corner. Something about that particular spot just seems to make it look ideal for that particular breed...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Heh, I dont kill anything on purpose, including insects. Instead I "rehome" them by using a clear plastic solo cup to trap them, then slide a piece of printer paper under the cup, then out the door they go. Of course Ive never encountered a 6" spider just strutting across my floor, so that might necessitate a flame thrower. :lol:

• Like 1

Know the Xeno, kill the Xeno.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 4 weeks later...

Most of his stuff is pretty old, but gold, that said he recently announced a new season of stuff coming! 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@BruceVC might remember this young lady.... I used to follow her blog, describing life in the far east of Russia before the war. War happened and she decided that Moscow sucks and left Russia to settle in Georgia (the country, not the US state). I was curious what she has been up to the last year..

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 9/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, Sarex said:

I don't drink coffee.

I do, but not enough to spend 20k on an admittedly pretty cool looking espresso machine. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

@BruceVC might remember this young lady.... I used to follow her blog, describing life in the far east of Russia before the war. War happened and she decided that Moscow sucks and left Russia to settle in Georgia (the country, not the US state). I was curious what she has been up to the last year..

I do remember her, she created videos like the new McDonalds franchises in Russia  and she went to that Russian mall. Thanks for sharing and if you come across videos like this please tag me because I appreciate it and I was wondering what happened to her. Im glad she is alright and living in Georgia 

I watched the whole video and I enjoyed it. I mentioned this to @xzar_monty but this type of citizen journalism I think provides more insight and reality  into life on the ground in certain countries  than what massive international media houses can often  capture. She is similar to Daniil Orain

And she is obviously young but very well meaning and believes in what she says. A couple of takeaways for me 

• a general interesting video of Montenegro and the nuances in the Slavic language and how these countries are different to Russia, like what times shops close 
  • its so nice to see people who are not influenced by US culture wars garbage and have real principles that matter to her like the lack of media freedom in Russia and what that means. She uses words like " safe space " which in most Western countries is a meme and cringe but in her case it matters because she knows what real denial of freedom is. So " safe space " is something significant, its not some Canadian or US university attention seeking exercise 
  • I loved how a free media matters to her and other journalists, mostly from Russia, she interviewed. Most of us take for granted a free media and we tend just to criticize the media for being biased but  there are many people who absolutely consider the role of journalists to be critical to a healthy society and she is one of them. I  also like how she mentioned feminism
  • And then I laughed how cute she is where she said " look at this nice graffiti  " ( I detest street art that defaces any historical building or landmark like a bridge ) :grin:

'

But great video and Im glad she is still alive and following her principles 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

His soul is now one with Omnissiah continuing his service as machine spirit

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yes, it's long. Yes, it requires you to actually focus on what is said. Yes, it's hilarious. Yes... I do miss the Muppet Show of old... 😝