Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

I've been thinking about doing this topic for a long time. The idea is to share your favorite channels, or the channels you are subscribed to. Here are mine:

image.thumb.png.df3d5cc3c15e92c3a92c9cbd4264d479.png

It's mostly mechanical stuff, restorations and car stuff, oh and Project Farm, he reviews everyday items in very innovative ways.

My favorite ones are probably m539, south main auto, Baumgartner and ronald finger. I guess Primitive Technology is getting back in to the swing of things.

Guess it would help to do a short description of each channel...

South main auto - An honest mechanics shop and his day to day work

Cutting Edge Engineering - an Aussie metal worker who fabricates and repairs parts for heavy duty machinery

Marty T - A New Zealander living in the outback and restoring random junk

M539 - BMW enthusiast who buys and repairs BMWs and usually sells them after

Hoonigan - Ken Block media house which got famous with those Ken Block drift videos. They do random car stuff on that channel, but the quality is really random too.

Throttle House - 2 Canadians (one is from England) reviewing cars

Watch Wes Work - A small mechanics shop in a middle of no where

Project Farm - Tool review/test channel (very useful channel)

Tokyo Liama - Australian expat restoring a traditional Japanese house

Baumgartner Restoration - An art conservator who restores paintings

Andrew Camarata - A guy who builds a castle and plays around with his heavy machinery toys. Very long videos, but also very entertaining.

Fuzzy Dice Project - How to restore cars as cheaply as possible

Bedo's Letherwork - A cobbler and his day to day work

Jafromobile - This channel is pretty old and niche. About a guy and his Hyundai Elantra trying to set good drag strip times.

Mateusz Doniec - A very good fabricator

Ronald Finger -  A guy on a quest to restore a Pontiac Fiero. Good production quality.

Primitive Technology - About a guy doing primitive technology. Think about what you could do if someone left you naked in a forest.

my mechanics - A very meticulous tool restorer, who basically restores tools to better than new

bad obsession motor sport - Two Englishmen on a never ending quest to create a 4 wheel drive rally mini.

Geoffrey Croker - Man vs rust

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

My three main subscriptions these days are all long-form content people. RedLetterMedia...

firefox_NrNM6y5DOo.png

...which most everyone here should be at least passingly familiar with for one reason or another, Ask a Mortician...

firefox_mhRLPkEnjd.png

...who isn't really what her epithet implies, she just makes research videos (or relies on her own expertise being a mortuary director for many years and generally being on the in with such things) about any and all matters related to death. In more recent years, she seems to be covering death-related stories of note rather than anything "ask a mortician"-specific, and I am totally okay with that.

...hbomberguy...

firefox_8Y2yUbFern.png

...who is an insane person that makes extraordinarily long but very entertaining research videos about a very random collection of subjects. And then...well, Lindsay Ellis is dead, matthewmatosis is dead, the only amateur singer I've ever subscribed to on YouTube is dead, most everyone else is dead. So long and thinks for all the fish, people. If anyone has suggestions for other interesting long-form content, feel free to suggest - I don't really have the patience or attention span for short stuff. I can't guarantee that I'll like it, but I'll at least give it a try.

(Editor's note: The people previously mentioned are not actually dead, just inactive on YouTube. In other words, they are dead.)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Is this the thread where we organize a party to fight The Algorithm? If so, you have my sword. It's time to attack and dethrone God.

If we're talking Youtube recs...I don't watch it that much. I do like Every Frame a Painting and David Lynch Theater, but the former stopped doing videos a long time ago and the latter stopped doing videos after Angelo Badalamenti died. InRange TV is okay I guess.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

@Bartimaeus I do know about red letter media, but as I don't consume that many movies and tv shows anymore there is no appeal for me. There is also the laugh...

10 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Every Frame a Painting

Oh man, there is a channel that does very similar stuff (analyses films from a technical perspective), but it's been ages since I've seen it. I'll try to find it as I think you would like it.

edit: Or it could very well be that it's the same channel... :blush:

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of long form videos channels, this was for the longest while the only channel I subscribed to:

image.thumb.png.9392cb6031fa18baaa069c7dad84346e.png

Joe's not been very active mostly because he's been unable to properly finish his The Witcher 3 video. It was supposed to be one video about the trilogy but YouTube had technical issues uploading an eight hour 1080p60 video and so he split it in three parts, reworked them, and only managed to release two of them in three years now. He even deleted his 5000$-a-month Patreon account because he feels bad about not finishing it. I guess it'll be done when it is done, in other words, there's a good chance that The Winds of Winter will release earlier. :p 

Other noteworthies, just without images:

SummoningSalt - long form speedrun documentaries.
RLM - well, needs no real introduction, been a fan of theirs for a long while now, even before they moved to YouTube.

Plus some other bits and pieces that probably aren't too interesting.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Or it could very well be that it's the same channel... :blush:

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

8 minutes ago, Sarex said:

@Bartimaeus I do know about red letter media, but as I don't consume that many movies and tv shows anymore there is no appeal for me. There is also the laugh...

I'm not too interested in most of what they talk about either - between Hollywood trash, the endless B-movies, Star Wars, Star Trek, and a plethora of other things I am not interested in, I would say roughly 95% of what they talk about is of no interest to me at all. Thing is, I like them as characters/personalities. Truth be told, I have had pretty terrible anxiety about death basically ever since I could form conscious/deliberate thought (which was like...when I was 5), so the stuff Ask a Mortician talks about isn't really what I'd ideally be watching either, but...I like her too, so it just doesn't really matter. For me, the entertainer themselves is usually a lot more important than necessarily what they entertain me with.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

@PK htiw klaw eriF Color me embarrassed... Idk why I never subbed to him.

image.thumb.png.e37c38afc3dca07034ce39947d2e983b.png

I think he got me to watch Wolf Children.

@Bartimaeus I'll give them a go again. I know my brother watches them all the time. But he consumes TV Shows and movies like a crackhead.

@Hurlshort Maybe you find some new stuff here. :)

@majestic I heard about the guy, but never really dared to watch his videos. Forgot where I heard about him though, probably from some streamer.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Mostly dilettante type stuff like Kurzgesagt, Tom Scott, History Matters,  Epic History, PBS Space Time.  Other than that some WoW streamers, Forgotten Weapons and Russian language learning channels to round it out.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The only things I regularly might check up on are either well known/popular (Asmongold, that Pitch Meeting guy,etc) or stuff no one here would be interested in. And none of it would make me look smart or cultured. :shifty: I mostly look for gaming, film/TV snippets and reviews, cats/animals, anything that might make me giggle.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Btw, does watching a YT video while it's still embedded in the forum get calculated into THE ALGORITHM?  I've never noticed/paid attention.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've subscribed to around 200 channels, many are sister channels to a main channel, like Extra Credits and Extra History, Nightwish & Floor Jansen, Charismatic Voice/The Singing Hole, Tom Scott/Tom Scott plus, Hardware Unboxed/Monitors Unboxed et.c.

Some storm chasers like Pecos Hank, Reed Timmer & Melanie Metz, some science channels such as SciShow, Kyle Hill, Vsauce, ScienceAlert, Engineering Explained, BBC Earth Lab.

I've got a bunch of gaming channels, TotalBiscuit, Matt Barton, Spelrum, Jim Sterling, Liana K, Girlfriend Reviews, Noclip, Joseph Anderson, The Neon Arcade, AlexJordanVO, Luetin09 and Bricky, plus a few more. There's a couple of hardware channels like JayzTwoCents, Gamers Nexus, Linus Tech Tips and AdoredTV.

Some firearms, weapons and military related ones like Forgotten Weapons, InrangeTV, TFB TV, Garand Thumb, Demolition Ranch, Skallagrim, Shadiversity (MACHICOLATIONS!), Kentucky Ballistics, Brandon Herrera, Tacticool Girlfriend, Perun, The Chieftain.

And a few randoms like Ask a Mortician, Jonathan Pie, First we Feast, Steve1989MREinfo, Plainly Difficult, Bruva Alfabusa, Davie504, RoomieOfficial, ContraPoints, Viva la Dirt League, Juice Media, Tasting History, Nicole Johnsons Detour...

And a whole metric shedload of different artists, singers and musicians.

Oh, and DW News.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I do subscribe to more than a dozen channels (just about, close to a dozen), only one of which is politics related

TheJuiceMedia (that's the "Honest Government Ads"  people) because I like the people, I like their message, I"m a patreon supporter and sometimes I even share their videos here on this forum 😛

AKIHITO YO****OMI because watching that guy creating art in almost real time in front of my eyes is just fascinating

A number of hobby related channels (miniature wargaming and painting, with a focus on Horus Heresy and Kill Team)

Outer Circle, Rift Forge Studio, Black Briar Gaming, Cult of Paint, The Cult of Crafting, Grimdark Gamers

And some history related channels:

Drachinifel (my second favourite channel after Juicemedia), HistoryMarche, Kings and Generals, Invicta, History Matters (awesome series of 3 minute videos explaining things you didn't know you didn't know)

Besides that, using the search bar to check for things that just springs to mind....

Edit: Not going to list things like Microsoft Partner Source, MCP and similar as that will only be available to a minority of people with a very narrow focus for what they are looking for. Not a Youtube subscription as much as collections of Youtube links organized by topic on other sites

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

@PK htiw klaw eriF Color me embarrassed... Idk why I never subbed to him.

image.thumb.png.e37c38afc3dca07034ce39947d2e983b.png

And here I was hoping for more.

Regardless, I highly reccomend these videos to anyone with even a passing interest in movies. It will make you appreciate a lot of things you may have overlooked and maybe check out something you normally wouldn't have. Unfortunate that it ended because seeing an analysis of some of the Soviet-era masters would have been delightful.

Pretty sure I've seen that "Satoshi Kon - Editing Space & Time" video, but I don't remember much about it except for some mention of Satoshi Kon implementing some very creative ways of constructing and editing scenes in Paprika, Millennium Actress, and Perfect Blue. Like I said, sometimes it's less about what you're entertaining me with and more about the entertainer...even when I should actually love what it is you're entertaining me with.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I mostly subscribe to Science channels like PBS Spacetime, Arvin Ash, Sabine Hossenfelder, Veritasium, The Science Asylum and Anton Petrov.

Another channel I like a lot is Event Horizon, that has many interviews with scientists about astronomy, physics, search for alien life and artificial intelligence, among other things. The one below, about the Google language model, was particularly interesting, since it had some information I didn't see anywhere else:

• Like 3

sign.jpg

Ian's the best ❤️

I forgot one of my newest subscriptions that I made, Sabaton History. Members of the band Sabaton (For you who don't know, a metal band that makes metal songs about historical events, mostly wars) and Indy Neidell go through the history behind their songs.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm on my phone and it's too many steps to post a picture of my subs but I only have a few. I'm only subbed so that I can find it easily as I tend to YouTube with a purpose rather than browse.

A guided meditation channel that has videos for kids because I meditate with my son.

Keyrock's channel. No explanation needed.

A STO channel. I still play it.

RLM. Just so I don't have to search for it.

Some channel that has a bunch of old Soviet films. Just for the holidays.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 4/1/2023 at 1:22 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Btw, does watching a YT video while it's still embedded in the forum get calculated into THE ALGORITHM?  I've never noticed/paid attention.

You can check easily by seeing if it ends up in your watch history on the yt account. I'm pretty sure it does.

I like watching this guy from time to time. Not very relevant for the EU folks but it's interesting to see what the people in the US use.

Also like this guy. Found out some pretty great and new (for me) things, which I will for sure do if I ever get a house. Although I hear some things are even possible to do in a apartment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I like watching this guy from time to time. Not very relevant for the EU folks but it's interesting to see what the people in the US use.

All I see is "Server ip address could not be found".

Now it's back. And interesting, pretty much everything here is designed to break within a decade to induce you into buying a new one.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

32 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

All I see is "Server ip address could not be found".

The big washing machine cabal doesn't want you to know.

32 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Now it's back. And interesting, pretty much everything here is designed to break within a decade to induce you into buying a new one.

I bought a fairly expensive washing machine 3-4 years ago (Miele) and although the initial experience was not that great (I won't get in to it, but basically I got a new unit in the end), no issues so far. Saying that, they do not offer a long warranty here (outside of rare promotions) and when I asked the technician why that is he told me there is no need because they last. 😄 I just laughed in his face and the answer I got eventually was that it's because the water is very hard in this region of Europe and it kills everything, also people do not do the proper maintenance to combat that. Basically you need to do a cleaning cycle with an anti-limescale solution every 3 months or use water softener tablets during the wash. I do that so I guess we will se how long it last.

Also do not buy Bosch, everything I got from them failed in warranty. Built in oven, stove, small appliances I either exchanged or returned, the only thing that lasted was the dish washer we barely use. I didn't buy their top of the line models, but I also didn't go for the cheapest ones...

For my place, I spent new car money on appliances so in 10 years I will see if I'm an idiot or if it payed for itself.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Xyla Foxlin - engineer and maker of stuff, often with wood and epoxy

Curly's Grandson - Brad Server, grandson of Jerome "Curly" Howard recreates Three Stooges routines, reviews Three Stooges stuff, talks about Three Stooges and interviews his relatives.

How to Cook That - Ann Reardon shows how to cook things and debunks viral 'hacks' that don't work or are dangerous.  Her husband Dave suffers by trying some of the stuff from hacks that isn't inedible. Her kids usually get the good stuff (Dave does too sometimes).

Legal Eagle - Devon Stone talks about stuff with a lawyer's view, topical or fictional

Geno's House of Rare Films - archive of films, often shorts with no clear commercial outlet for preservation purposes; includes a number of old comedy shorts

Gerry Anderson TV - for all your Gerry Anderson informational needs, includes the Gerry Anderson Podcast with Gerry's son Jaimie Anderson and actor Richard James.  Love the FabFacts on the shows

Official Jim Cornette - Corny talks old-school wrasslin' - taken from his podcasts and edited for YouTube because Corny is prone to salty language outbursts

MxR Plays - Henry Liang and Jeannie Lee react to videos, riff on them or topics in general, do gags and generally bring a lot of fun to just sort of chatting about stuff.  Have guests pop up from time to time as well

Davie504 - Bass Guitar slaps O.M.G.

Susu_jpg - talks about lizards, snakes, frogs, knives and stabbing things plus stuff from her live streams like cooking with friends or simping on attractive ladies

Jimmy Carr - comedian.  Foul language, rudeness and dark humor warnings

Aisling Bea - comedian.  Language sometimes as well

Lock Picking Lawyer - site that discusses vulnerabilities of various locks.

Naomi Wu - tech and DIY talk

The Amber Ruffin Show - for clips from "The Amber Ruffin Show"

The Three Stooges+ - official YouTube site for The Three Stooges

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man