The All Things Political Topic - new edition

uuuhhii

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

A floating concentration camp? Innovative!

Old idea apparently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_ship

Maybe that is the future of affordable housing, stick the poor people on barges

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"The boat, with 222 rooms, has been refurbished since it was criticised as an "oppressive environment" when the Dutch government used it for asylum seekers.

Bibby Marine, which owns the barge and will lease it to the government, said there was a laundry and a canteen on board - and all the rooms have a window, bed, desk, storage and en-suite."

Sounds pretty nice to me. We should float a whole bunch of them of the coast of San Francisco and Portland to help out the homeless.

Fs_vL8hX0AQTOmG?format=png&name=small

Posting this meme on Snapchat is now grounds to get arrested in Florida.

Seems concerning.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Cetereum censeo, Floridam esse delendam

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Cetereum censeo, Floridam esse delendam

florida-bugs-bunny.gif

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

as most here is aware, am not a fan o' desantis, but am also thinking this kinda viral "news" is a litmus test for 21st century stoopid. embrace the narrative o' a freaking tweet from a mom whose son has been arrested w/o any support to corroborate? maybe not the most objective source, eh?

if you cannot wait for more reliable info before picking a side or reaching a conclusion, then you are part o' the problem even if you believe you are fighting against the bad guys. the folks following desantis' war on woke also believe they is fighting the bad guys and somehow such gives their unCosntitutional and anti-liberty efforts legitimacy. 

even if the story ends up being complete true, not waiting for meaningful corroboration and a more in-depth explanation than a mom defense means you are no more discerning than the qanon troglodytes waiting for jfk jr to rise from the dead. if you believe a story 'cause the narrative supports a conclusion you already hold firm as 'posed to relying on meaningful reflection o' facts and coupled with a healthy dose o' cynicism, then you are failing an ez test.  

litmus test fail. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2023/04/06/rebekah-jones-son-arrested-in-florida-what-we-know-about-digital-threat-allegations/70088634007/

"A spokesperson for the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office confirmed Thursday morning that Jones' son had been arrested.

SRSO spokeswoman Jillian Durkin said the Sheriff's Office had received reports of a threat from multiple students and that a felony warrant was issued following an investigation of the reports."

I know the police are not a trustworthy source, but I see little reason to disbelieve their confirmation of arresting a 13 year old on felony charges.

Given that Mrs. Jones has been a vocal critic who is currently suing Florida and the pattern of Desantis/Florida Republicans consistently being willing to use state power to crush their enemies, I would hazard to say that it is more likely this is an act of reprisal than a 13 year old being a genuine threat.

8 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

isn't shipping container home already a thing

Yes but usually those are on land not a barge, no ?

French know how to protest

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/06/business/blackrock-office-stormed-paris-protests/index.html

Edited by Malcador

41 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

complete missed the point. 

"I would hazard to say that it is more likely this is an act of reprisal than a 13 year old being a genuine threat."
and this is why you fail. you leap to a conclusion w/o meaningful support. 

keep in mind, am not doubting the arrest, however...

3 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Posting this meme on Snapchat is now grounds to get arrested in Florida.

nothing save rebekah jones tweet is provided as evidence that the the meme posted gets a person arrested in florida. 

even from ms. jones tweets it sounds as if there were an internet dialogue including more than an insular meme posting which resulted in the arrest. 

and again, even if it turns out that ms. jones were correct and the meme were the reason her son were arrested, you had no support for your posted observation save for your belief that the arrest were the result o' political motivated vengeance.

litmus fail... again.

edit: helpful links

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/6-year-old-fingers-shape-of-gun-suspended_n_6813864

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/cops-charge-7-year-old-for-bringing-toy-gun-to-class/2103430/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/18/new.york.doodle.arrest/index.html

these stories should not be new as they had previous been referenced on this board. states and schools in many states has asinine zero-tolerance policies particularly in the context o' school violence... and given the recent events in tennessee...

regardless, am waiting for kp to share with us his support for his meme on snapchat observation other than the rebekah jones tweets, support which he no doubt had knowledge o' previous to making his post but convenient didn't share. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/6/israel-intercepts-rocket-fired-from-southern-lebanon-military

IDF response still being determined.  Invasion of Lebanon would be an interesting distraction from domestic politics, but probably too much.

Edit  :

Interesting choice of target

Edited by Malcador

That guy looks familiar. Wasn't he involved in some crap already just a few months ago? With his wife or something?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

20 minutes ago, Lexx said:

That guy looks familiar. Wasn't he involved in some crap already just a few months ago? With his wife or something?

His brother was accused of sex trafficking. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/03/20/trammell-crow-jr-billionaire-linked-sarah-ferguson-accused-financing/

15 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

"The boat, with 222 rooms, has been refurbished since it was criticised as an "oppressive environment" when the Dutch government used it for asylum seekers.

Bibby Marine, which owns the barge and will lease it to the government, said there was a laundry and a canteen on board - and all the rooms have a window, bed, desk, storage and en-suite."

Sounds pretty nice to me. We should float a whole bunch of them of the coast of San Francisco and Portland to help out the homeless.

@Malcador I dont get the outrage, these facilities are  to  house asylum seekers. Its better than refugee camps or being sent to Rwanda isnt it?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Jordan subpoenas former senior prosecutor in Manhattan DA’s office in connection to probe of Trump case

"Pomerantz resigned from the Manhattan DA’s office in 2022 and said in his resignation letter that former President was “guilty of numerous felony violations” in connection to his annual financial statements. He resigned one day after Bragg informed him that he wasn’t prepared to move forward with criminal charges at that point."

why on earth would the gop wanna subpoena pomerantz o' all people? is inevitable the attorney who rage-quit will be asked why he raged quit, yes?  trump is current protected from public scrutiny o' charges the manhattan da no doubt looked into but did not decide to pursue. is not as if pomerantz quit 'cause he thought trump were getting the fuzzy end o' the lollipop, so am failing to see the upside for republicans which ain't far outweighed by the likelihood pomerantz is asked to discuss the full extent o' trump's dirty laundry and to have his response regarding a possible litany o' horribles entered into the Congressional record... maybe even see such answers made public. 

HA! Good Fun!

On 4/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, BruceVC said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/saudi-crown-prince-says-do-not-care-if-biden-misunderstands-him-atlantic-2022-03-03/

I have raised  this before but this is a consequence of the mishandling and public vilification of  MbS over incidents like the Khashoggi assassination  from the US and particularly the Biden administration. Trump handled the Saudi's much better and he understood the respect they expected 

Its not the end of the world but it does mean the likes of Saudi Arabia wont increase oil supply if asked by the US like they would do under a Trump presidency and Saudi Arabia also have influence with other OPEC countries 

I think this type of rift is easy to fix but it will require some effort from the US but it wont happen under Biden who has been given bad advice around dealing with the likes of the Saudi Arabia 

Yeah I'm sure there's a bunch of atrocities it would be politically expedient to ignore. I guess at some point, some governments have decided that there's a moral duty not to.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

2 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

Yeah I'm sure there's a bunch of atrocities it would be politically expedient to ignore. I guess at some point, some governments have decided that there's a moral duty not to.

Sure and I agree Western governments should be consistent with real human rights abuses. But you need to adopt things like quiet diplomacy when it comes to certain criticisms of different world leaders 

Biden made several public statements about  the killing of Khashoggi that included saying " we would assess the Saudi relationship " and " several senior Saudi's would be punished" but he was killed in 2018 when Trump was president so Biden was also  playing  politics and grandstanding

And now people are surprised that MbS doenst care what Biden thinks and wont increase oil supply when asked

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, HoonDing said:

This is why you need a great reset/revo/lution every two decades.

And what  would your idea be of a reset in 2023?

John Milton 

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Sure and I agree Western governments should be consistent with real human rights abuses. But you need to adopt things like quiet diplomacy when it comes to certain criticisms of different world leaders

Not sure you do, TBH. I think murderers should be held accountable.

That depends entirely whether you're talking from a realpolitik or personal morality perspective though. Most (well... all) countries do so from the realpolitik one or a variation thereof- US domestic political considerations in this case.

Trouble with the moral approach is finding a major world leader who hasn't murdered someone, under the definition by which MbS has. His was just more obvious and publicised than others- and let's be frank, if he was not buddy buddy with Trump and Khashoggi didn't work for the WP it would likely have been put down as 'just arab things, what can you do?'.

What Biden is effectively saying is that Saudi is far less important to the US than, as just one example, Egypt- whose leader had thousands machinegunned on his direct orders post coup, and despite this Biden has been buddy buddy with at, say, COP27, November 2022- or any other country that has such a leader that the US doesn't criticise, should be fine with being used as a football in US domestic politics and should still do what they're told despite this. And it's mostly so because a climb down from Biden would be... politically embarrassing, domestically. You can't really get past the appearance, certainly if you're MbS, that the US isn't consistent and his main crime was being too pally with Biden's domestic political rival.

And of course if the US or west in general applied their stated standards even handedly most of their own leaders would be in jail too, but that goes without saying. Or not.

Edited by Zoraptor