Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

To be honest, I thought Disco Elysium 2 would be very unlikely anyways. A game like this is a one in 20 years kind of thing and trying to top it or at least getting close to the first would be a tremendous task.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Agreed, only I think it even shouldn't have any sequel. The story is complete and sequelitis of  everything is endemic enough nowadays, no need to add to cesspool.

(Also it's poetic in a Doom Idiot Spiral way when a game with those themes ends in a cluster**** between creatives and corporates)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spider said:

Finished watching the thing yesterday - this is a decent summary.

Among wild accusations Josh Sawyer and Larian are mentioned as potential parties who were in contact with Kurvitz about illegally selling the IP. JS denied the allegations but Larian didn't comment. Nothing of substance, but likely an interesting bit to folks here. The exact timestamp is 1:59:30

The impression I got is that both parties seem to have valid grievances but also are being dishonest. It seems the DE2 could happen with one of the side have up their stakes in NewElysium but at this point it seems rather unlikely.

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

To be honest, I thought Disco Elysium 2 would be very unlikely anyways. A game like this is a one in 20 years kind of thing and trying to top it or at least getting close to the first would be a tremendous task.

Kurvitz was open about wanting to do the sequel - not continuing the story of Harry, but doing another story in the universe. The whole dispute is about him loosing control over the world he created.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

The whole dispute is about him loosing control over the world he created.

Yeah, this also sucks hard. It's his world, and I really wanted to see more stuff in it. Now it's taken away and the new owners probably don't really **** a duck about it as long as the $$$ is there.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 hours ago, MrBrown said:

This'll get all the horny teenagers playing!

Wait, Megan Fox? Horny 30 year olds then.

Should have hired Sasha Grey, she's been streaming D4 on Twitch

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Kurvitz was open about wanting to do the sequel - not continuing the story of Harry, but doing another story in the universe. The whole dispute is about him loosing control over the world he created.

That's really sad, it seemed a very interesting world from DE, and it was obvious there was a lot of thought put to it outside of the scope of the game.

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

That's really sad, it seemed a very interesting world from DE, and it was obvious there was a lot of thought put to it outside of the scope of the game.

The world wasn't created for the DE. First it's been a table-top campaign, which than turned into a novel, and than it turned into a game.

• Thanks 1

Don't think he was implying that, just saying that from his experience with Disco Elysium the world seemed interesting and had had a lot of work put into it. Even with the game's success I doubt many people have read the novel which would be the only non game related way to get the background.

(meh, gaming has too many similar acronyms. I'll always read DE as Deus Ex. Memes aren't the only reason they should have kept the ..Furies name)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Thanks 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 minutes ago, Hawke64 said:

Lies of P PC demo is available on Steam. The price seems rather high for an independent game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1627720/Lies_of_P/

I mean, it’s day 1 on GamePass. Will be checking out demo later - buzz seems to be very positive.  I don’t think it matters if the studio is independent or not, as long as they release a game worthwhile of the price. CDPR and Larian are also independent and operate in the premium price range. 
I know nothing of the devs so don’t know what to expect. It always looked too good to be true, but it seems it might be solid afterall.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, Hurlshort said:

Cyberknights released a new trailer:

It looks better than I was expecting. 

Demo coming soon, nice!

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

18 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I mean, it’s day 1 on GamePass. Will be checking out demo later - buzz seems to be very positive.  I don’t think it matters if the studio is independent or not, as long as they release a game worthwhile of the price. CDPR and Larian are also independent and operate in the premium price range. 
I know nothing of the devs so don’t know what to expect. It always looked too good to be true, but it seems it might be solid afterall.

A fair point. The developer and publisher is Neowiz. I haven't played any of their titles, but have 2 of them on the wishlist. I suppose, Lies of P looks somehow similar to Steelrising (a fancy-looking robot* fighting other robots in a European city), but, according to Steam forums, is better optimised. I didn't get further than the main menu, but unlike Steelrising, Lies of P (demo) does not support the 4th and the 5th mouse buttons, which might be fixed in the full version.
*I also can't quite unsee that P looks somehow similar to Evie Frye (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate). I don't think that it is intentional, though.

Spoiler

header.jpg?t=1686296886

maxresdefault.jpg

On 6/8/2023 at 2:39 AM, Zoraptor said:

Even with the game's success I doubt many people have read the novel which would be the only non game related way to get the background.

Have you? Is it any good? I didn't even know there was one.

Disclaimer: having read at least three Dragonlance novels in the 1980s and Salvatore's The Icewind Dale trilogy in the 1990s I find it almost impossible to motivate myself into reading anything that ties into modern computer games, no matter which way the influence goes. This is not to say that the Disco Elysium novel isn't good; heck, I hope it's superb.

7 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

I haven't read it, no. Only got translated to english last month, and my Estonian is... well I used to be able to say hello/ please/ thanks at least.

The first three Dragonlance books though were great, when I was ten.

Oh, I see. This inspired me to do a quick search, and I found this: https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-novel-sacred-and-terrible-air-has-finally-been-translated/

I have to say this makes me think the translation is probably rubbish. Perhaps even almost certainly rubbish, as illogical as this sentence is. The first thing I wanted to check was whether the translation was published by a reputable company; then I wanted to check whether the translation was done by a reputable professional; and by the time I got to see how the translations were actually done I no longer had any hope... But, of course it's possible that it's good. (Which says nothing about whether the novel itself is good.)

I don't know whether you read any of the discussion concerning the Spanish translation of Deadfire, but anyway: that was done in a manner that seemed decidedly more professional, and the result was still an embarrassment, unfortunately.

As for Dragonlance: couldn't agree more! That's precisely the age to read them. Dragonlance at ten, Hermann Hesse at seventeen, etc. There's some stuff that's perfect for certain ages. This is also the stuff that you should not go back to when you're older.

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Oh, I see. This inspired me to do a quick search, and I found this: https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-novel-sacred-and-terrible-air-has-finally-been-translated/

I have to say this makes me think the translation is probably rubbish. Perhaps even almost certainly rubbish, as illogical as this sentence is. The first thing I wanted to check was whether the translation was published by a reputable company; then I wanted to check whether the translation was done by a reputable professional; and by the time I got to see how the translations were actually done I no longer had any hope... But, of course it's possible that it's good. (Which says nothing about whether the novel itself is good.)

I don't know whether you read any of the discussion concerning the Spanish translation of Deadfire, but anyway: that was done in a manner that seemed decidedly more professional, and the result was still an embarrassment, unfortunately.

As for Dragonlance: couldn't agree more! That's precisely the age to read them. Dragonlance at ten, Hermann Hesse at seventeen, etc. There's some stuff that's perfect for certain ages. This is also the stuff that you should not go back to when you're older.

I didn't get into Dragonlance until I was in my twenties (blame lack of Dragonlance book supply for that! 😝). What I did read at age ten to fifteen was what they had in the school library. Alistair Maclean in particular was a favourite. Fond memories of Guns of Navarone, Fear is the Key, Ice Station Zebra etc. suddenly resurfacing. Man... it's been many, many years since reading those.

Edit: Books weren't really accessible to me unless there was a Danish translations. Didn't pick up reading English paperbacks until I got forced at gunpoint to read The Hobbit

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein