What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

I have a hard time tossing any book/magazine now, just because it starts to reach that "do you toss an unimportant but kind of a culture relic" or maybe it's just the memory, syndrome. Luckily I did toss enough away in previous years that I don't have too many left for me to fuss over. I think I still have a book re: HTML 3, as well few other such. As well as likely outdated stuff like oversized comprehensive state city/topographical map books. I used to love maps, books, pamphlets (National Geographic used to put a lot of goods ones inside), even the ones on tourism guides. They were to me what postcards were to others.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, majestic said:

I recently threw out a bunch of books for various discontinued pices of software and operating systems from the early 2000s, and while I know they were practically useless, it still felt wrong to dump them. I kept my BeOS R4 book though. Not that BeOS is going to make a comeback, but it's a fun curiousity, at least. 

Unlike these:

28184160_d379a5d843_b.jpg

:p

Now I feel tempted to dig out my old Commodore 64 reference manual from 1984 and take a picture of it 😂\

Edit: Found some old Commodore books, but not the one i was looking for. I hope I still got it in a box somewhere (this is the one I'm missing from my photo https://archive.org/details/c64-programmer-ref)

Bfd8Sf6.jpg

Edit2: Much of my early Commodore literature is in German, as the only place well stocked was a large store in Flensburg, on the other side of the border (this was when there were still physical borders)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Found the Dragon Book. Tried reading it and understood nothing, thus confirming I am dumber than I was in 2005.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

...I do not miss those 10MB, 20MB, 50MB HDD's of ye olden days.

Oh my, heathen! 😂

The sense of relief when I got a gigantic HDD (my first hard drive ever) for my first Commodore Amiga (Amiga 500) was immense. Spent days copying stuff from the 3.5" floppies to the HDD so I could have all software in one place 😝

I'm trying to remember what the size was. I *think* it was 10GB, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. I do remember there was a necessary hack to be done because the drive was larger than the normal physical limit for Amiga SCSI drives of 4GB, so larger than that.

It was a similar experience to when I got my first floppy drive for my C64.... no longer struggling to find the correct spot on old cassette tapes, where I had saved something. It felt like a HDD at the time!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh... just saw the local news. I better take in my garden furniture. It's getting windy the next several days...

https://7news.com.au/video/news/brisbane-weather/dangerous-conditions-ahead-as-tropical-cyclone-gabrielle-forms-off-queenslands-coast-bc-6319998941112

Luckily it seems like it's moving in a direction parallel to the coast, so it's unlikely to affect the mainland. But... just in case the weather guys got it wrong.

• Gasp! 1

We've got a storm warning here, I was real sneaky though, one of the trucks 'sploded a gasket at work so it'll be out of commission 'til monday so I took half of today and tomorrow off 😏

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I watched the super ball and looked up baby names.

My condolences, that game sucked.

Congratulations! Buenaventura and Gráinne are two good names.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I watched the super ball and looked up baby names.

Just don't pick one from a currently popular TV show.

Choose one from a 70's popular TV show.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

18 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Don't name him Steven!

Yes, in honor of

Steven_Seagal_November_2016.jpg

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Fire Walk with KP said:

My condolences, that game sucked.

Congratulations! Buenaventura and Gráinne are two good names.

I was enjoying the game a lot but I didn't catch the end because I had to give my son a bath.

My son already has an obscure Irish name

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Just don't pick one from a currently popular TV show.

Choose one from a 70's popular TV show.

We'll name her Ponch, from CHiPs.

18 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Don't name him Steven!

Michael Burnham

• Gasp! 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

My son already has an obscure Irish name

Double down.

• Haha 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

did we miss the part where @ShadySandsidentified the gender o' the next member o' the sands family?

the wisdom o' taking advice 'bout baby names from those frequenting a computer gaming message board is likely too obvious to need be stated, but just in case. 

thankful, am suspecting mrs. shady would put the kibosh on suggestions such as ozymandias or melissan.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

unnecessary serious response: the baby don't care 'bout our gender notions, but if he/she is lucky they will be stuck with the moniker for decades. name your daughter "phillip" to announce to the world how enlightened you is maybe grand and perhaps makes parents feel proud, but am thinking everybody forgets just how cruel other kids can be. am needing repeat this 'cause is forgotten, but kid brains is different than an adult's and not just 'cause they is smaller. you don't have a full developed brain until late teens or early twenties and before that your sense o' right v. wrong is... different. sure, once phillip attends college, most o' the mockery will have ended, but am not sure why anybody would put their child through unnecessary pain and anguish.

step one: make the world a better place so that daughters named phillip won't be the object o' scorn and ridicule.

the world is not yet a better place.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'll die soon, so it's okay.

Is how I get through the work day

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Sex is female, I grew up in the 80s so I tend to use sex/gender interchangeably even though I technically know better. I'll die soon, so it's okay. 

I recommend not naming your child Mildred or Gertrude.

• Gasp! 1

gothel?

no?

doesn't matter. 

good luck regardless. 

and to get you started...

https://www.collegeinvest.org/

first $100 is a gift from the state o' colorado. ez peasy. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fire Walk with KP said:

I recommend not naming your child Mildred or Gertrude.

Milly and Gerty aren't bad nicknames...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.