Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

12 hours ago, Lexx said:

Is this some sci-fi chucky

Variation on 'robots go awry', I think.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That trailer is one of the funniest things I've seen all year, if Sci-Fi Chucky is that ****in bonkers it will be amazing.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Every October when they release the obligatory crop of "scary" movies I keep hoping for something that will reach the levels of unintentional comedy that Wish Upon did. Sci-fi Chucky has potential.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 10/11/2022 at 6:36 PM, Amentep said:

Never a Blade Runner around when you need  one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

18 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Every October when they release the obligatory crop of "scary" movies I keep hoping for something that will reach the levels of unintentional comedy that Wish Upon did. Sci-fi Chucky has potential.

At first I wasn't really sold on it, but after a minute when the robot goes on all fours to chase the kid I just lost it. This may beat the Gingerdead Man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Okay. So, warning gore.

But I had to share this because wtf?

This could awesome or military grade cringe. I don't think there's a middle ground.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Class of 1999 (1990) - In the dystopian future of 1999, gang warfare has overrun urban schools. One school in Seattle institutes an experimental program of utilizing android teachers.

I had heard of this movie in passing ages ago, but I never watched it and I didn't really hear about it since. Then it came to my attention that this was written and directed by Mark L Lester, the director of Commando.

This doesn't quite reach the level of awesomeness of Commando, largely because it lacks the amazing charisma of Ahnuld in the lead role, but it's still a schlock masterpiece. The cast is fantastic too, with Malcolm McDowell, Stacy Keach, and Pam Grier... Not just Pam Grier, but Robo Pam Grier with a mother****ing flamethrower. There are a few jank ass looking effects, but a lot of the effects look terrific and when the movie cranks it up during the final act it delivers sweet delicious action goodness in spades. Highly recommended, a must watch for any schlock connoisseur.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The Munsters (2022). Rob Zombie captures the tone of 60's television with a gallon of absurdity on top just in case. Does this make a good movie? Maybe, maybe just ok, but definitely not a great movie. It is EXTREMELY corny but that somehow makes it charming. Like if this had gone done a typical romcom route this movie would have sucked, but by dialing up the corny this is avoided and something very different is delivered. Maybe that different won't work for yall, but I had a good enough time.

Watched "RRR".

I ... enjoyed it a lot. Is it over the top, often ludicrous, absurd etc. Yes. And it was awesome.
The main nitpick I'd have is with pacing - three hours is a bit too long, there are lots of places where time or maybe story elements could have been shortened a bit to make it 15-20 minutes shorter for better pacing.

The other nitpick is not the film's fault but Netflix's.  They did not have the original language as an option and the subtitling vs. singing vs. Eng./non-Eng. dialogues seemed a bit erratic depending what you want/chose, even the full Eng. dub (I tried all the available options). I think the main actors did their own language dubs, so tonally it was fine, but it was still quite distracting/discordant at times. If the blu-ray has the original language on it I might buy it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, my issue was the pacing as well. Especially near the end when they were showing the same flashback scenes again, that was when I wanted to die a little. 15-20 minutes less would probably have elevated it a lot more for me.

Nonetheless it was a fun watch and I wouldn't mind seeing the movie again. Every movie that makes me want to watch it again is a good movie.

I'm curious why Netflix didn't had the original language for you. I watched it in Hindi 1 or 2 months ago.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

I'm curious why Netflix didn't had the original language for you. I watched it in Hindi 1 or 2 months ago.

There are four Indian language versions:  Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, and Kannada, and Telugu would be the "original". There's a reason the title card on Netflix is "RRR -  Hindi".

Because of hubby I tried "pure Eng. dub" first, but that meant the song lyrics weren't subtitled, that sort of thing.  But the Eng. subtitles titled everything and often was quite different from the actual spoken English lines - a common dub/sub type issue ofc, but still distracting to me w/multi-language films and blanket subtitles.

Anyway, Telugu and Hindi versions sound/lip sync pretty different, based on trailers and clips at least, even if the lead actors did their own post-dubbing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw BLACK ADAM. Don't get the dislike I've seen online, honestly. I thought it was a fun use of the modern Black Adam. The JSA get just enough so you know who they are and are pretty well realized.

I'd quibble that Dr Fate's realization probably owes a little too much to movie Dr Strange, but he's fine. Hawkman reminds me a lot of Geoff Johns' run (in fact the movie itself reminds me a bit of John's JSA period that included Adam). Cyclone's powers are well realized and Atom Smasher may be wearing his modern outfit but the characterization is early Nuklon from Infinity, Inc. where he was a bit of a clutz.

Sarah Shahi is good as the normal person who grounds the heroes in the story.

Story is kind of serial like, as it rolls from action/fight to action/fight. I don't think anyone will marvel over it, but it gives you what you need.

Loads of twists regarding who the villain is who ultimately becomes Sabaac (the second version,  as opposed to the original Captain Marvel/Fawcett one). The Henry Winkler cameo as the original Atom was fun. A lot has been made of the post credit sequence, but i think there was a lot here that DC can build on outside of that.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have EARTH-SHATTERING news. I don't want anyone getting hurt, so you may want to sit down before continuing to read.

Visionary film genius Neil Breen has completed his 6th professional feature film.

It may be jumping the gun to call this his latest masterpiece, but come on, when has Breen ever not delivered?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3
  • Gasp! 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

From the legend himself:

By "film festivals", I'm assuming Neil means Cannes, Sundance, Venice, etc.:shifty:

Once Neil creates a 1998-looking website for the new movie I will be ordering a copy, presumably on a DVD-R in a jewel case, immediately. Review incoming shortly thereafter.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 minute ago, Hurlshort said:

I get the impression that Keyrock actually is Neil Breen.

Everyone who is a fan of cinema should love Mr. Breen's work: they are all professionally made feature length films. Now, if you're someone who is not familiar with what films are, it's helpful to say that they're kind of like books, but thankfully not really at all like books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.