What You've Done Today - Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

majestic

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

The usual easy question/action would be did you at least try to log out of the forum, manually delete obsidian's forum's cookies (or all cookies) and close-all/restart the browser?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Hehe 😁

Did delete a lot of files, including all cookies (while browser was closed) and restarted my pc. Same result. Just this one site is messed up in FireFox. Google was no help, because it assumes the existence of a usersomething.css in the AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Somelinkicant remember folder and no such file exists 🙄

Using Edge now just for Obsidian forums... yeah, time for all the bad living on the edge puns

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Apparently the Facebook Container add on is causing text issues, but I doubt you're using that 😛

Does it work in Troubleshoot Mode (why did they rename it from Safe Mode, well...guess it fits better) ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I always have DSTV on the background when Im working from home and today I  have been watching The Queens memorial service almost the whole day. What a monarch, you can see how respected and loved she was for so many people. She carried herself with such dignity and everything was about duty and sacrifice for what the Monarchy represents for the UK and the broader Commonwealth

The end of an era for sure 👑

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My Ancestry DNA got updated so I'm having fun with that today. 

For those curious on how/why my results change 

While your DNA stays the same, our science is constantly improving to provide more precise and informative ethnicity estimates. With this update we added more samples to our reference panel, which expands the number and diversity of populations we can compare your DNA to. We also updated the DNA algorithm to provide more precise ethnicity estimate results going forward. You may see new regions or changes in your percentages with this update.

Free games updated 3/4/21

@GorthDid you figure out or resolve the issue with FF and these forums ?  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, Malcador said:

@GorthDid you figure out or resolve the issue with FF and these forums ?  

Nah, not yet. Figured I would nuke FF tonight and do a new install of it

edit: I probably should wipe the boot drive and refresh my 8 year old windows installation (it’s older than my pc as I simply moved the hdd from my previous pc)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

When you're watching someone "react" to the film Terminator and they reach the scene with the roommate and her bf...and when they see her grab a Walkman, they go "What is that/what is that for?"  They didn't understand/were confused later that the chr. couldn't hear the destruction in the other room because she had headphones on (to be fair that chr's hair rather covered them up).

I've seen more and more stuff like that on the 'net. Like not realizing there were no cellphones for an 80's movie and screaming at the screen re: why don't they call anyone. Which is yet another reason to avoid the internet (to avoid feeling too ancient).  :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

20 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

When you're watching someone "react" to the film Terminator and they reach the scene with the roommate and her bf...and when they see her grab a Walkman, they go "What is that/what is that for?"  They didn't understand/were confused later that the chr. couldn't hear the destruction in the other room because she had headphones on (to be fair that chr's hair rather covered them up).

Aren't the headphones like $10 hunks of garbage that would be physically incapable of muting outside noise unless you can turn them up to like 110db? Visible full ear-covering headphones would probably make it a lot more clear to someone not familiar with the idea (...and it would be at least a little more realistic). Still, it's a silly movie cliche that I'm surprised anyone would have trouble picking up.

24 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've seen more and more stuff like that on the 'net. Like not realizing there were no cellphones for an 80's movie and screaming at the screen re: why don't they call anyone. Which is yet another reason to avoid the internet (to avoid feeling too ancient). 

Cellphones are pretty terrible for dramatic cinema and atmosphere, in all fairness. That's why whenever I wander the streets late at night, I make sure to not have my phone on me...you know, for the suspense, :yes:.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^ I don't think they were any worse/better re: outside noise than today's earbuds or over-ear small headphones. You won't notice your A/C or fans, planes going overhead, general traffic noise, or maybe your husband quietly going "Hey" in the doorway until he starts semi-shouting, but yeah, the chaos level movies would have you believe is silly. Not to mention those usually also have physical wall/floor vibration stuff likely going on.

I liked John Wick series but that one scene where they're shooting at each other with movie-level silenced guns in the middle of a shopping mall, where people a few feet from them didn't notice, was hilarious.

Not being able to consciously hear even minor noises is the reason I don't like headphones in public. Don't know how ppl go around with them all the time like that. I'd be worried about not hearing the mugger, bicyclist saying "to your left", traffic, all of that.   >.>

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I don't think they were any worse/better re: outside noise than today's earbuds or over-ear small headphones. You won't notice your A/C or fans, planes going overhead, general traffic noise, or maybe your husband quietly going "Hey" in the doorway until he starts semi-shouting, but yeah, the chaos level movies would have you believe is silly. Not to mention those usually also have physical wall/floor vibration stuff likely going on.

Maybe I'm slightly unusual in that I have full over-the-ear active noise cancelling headphones, and even while playing music, I can still hear through them pretty well unless I really turn them up. Well, the active noise cancelling is good at cancelling out stable white noise like fans (and AC...kind of), but stuff like people talking, stuff clanging, TV sounds et al. just sounds marginally more distant. It's enough to take a little of the edge off of external noise, which can be valuable, but drowning them out to the point of not realizing somebody is talking to you? Uh...not so much for me.

28 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I liked John Wick series but that one scene where they're shooting at each other with movie-level silenced guns in the middle of a shopping mall, where people a few feet from them didn't notice, was hilarious.

Haven't seen the film in question, but I did just watch the scene: pretty absurd. Never shot a suppressed gun before, but just the action (ammunition firing, discharging, feeding mechanism) of a firearm can be pretty noticeable, never mind the actual combustion from a round being discharged. If someone dry fired (no round in the chamber) a gun next to you, you should pretty easily notice that telltale metal-against-metal sound from just the action...though I'm sure there are some firearms out there with particularly quiet action, maybe quiet enough that you wouldn't notice in a mall full of people talking. That'd still be pretending that there's no combustion, though.

Supposedly, a silenced .22 can be about as quiet as ~100db, which is still really freaking loud even if you only hear it for a split-second.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I just took that scene to indicate people in NY truly don't care about anything.

Got my FireFox sorted out (backed up favourites, uninstalled, deleted everything in the three AppData subfolders that had Mozilla and or Firefox in it, then reinstalled and imported favourites)

Also got my gfx card repaired... mostly because it was two and a half years old and i had forgotten it had 3 years warranty 😣

One of the fans had started vibrating so badly I could hear it upstairs (my pc is downstairs). I.e. not good. Ordered a replacement fan from a company that specializes in gfx card fan replacements (no kidding, such companies exists).  Replaced the card, pc and... black screen. I'm sure the left over screws I had from the gfx card were unrelated to it 😧

Pulled out the card and put in my old 1050 card, using that for a week and a half while mulling over what to do. A new card was definitely not on the budget at this point in time (I really would have expected it to last 5 years before upgrading my 2070 to something more contemporary. Took the card apart again, touched and wiggled everything, reassembled the card (still without finding a purpose for my new spare screws) and put it in my pc. Magic! Now it works again and I can hopefully wait at least another year and a half (at least) before splurging a small fortune on a new card and or pc.

Off to the local Games Workshop store tonight for a few games of 40K Kill Team with some new found friends.

• Like 3

had three estimates for ductwork at one our properties:

$6700

$5300

$95 (the inspection fee)

third estimate were from our usual hvac/duct guy, but he weren't able to take a looksee until today. from past experience, we were believing even if we had all ductwork replaced, it shouldn't cost no more than $4000 and a competitive estimate would be closer to $3000, so the first two proposals struck us as unreasonable. the guy we actual trust for heat and air came out today. ten minutes and a couple o' screws later (literal and figurative) our actual problem were fixed.

there is already a wealth tax in the US, even if it ain't levied by the irs or franchise tax board. saw our billing address and assumed we would pay stoopid money... and truth is, if one o' those first two guys had asked for $3000 or less, we likely woulda' gone ahead and given them the job.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we did give the tech who fixed our issue a benjamin, so we actual spent $195. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ Reminds me when we tried to get an estimate re: a minor issue with the simple straight-line back roof gutter.  Got quoted something like $4k-5k because claimed whole gutter had to be replaced (this was 5+ years ago, too). 2k we might've accepted but we laughed and went back to putting it off. Sadly we have no trusted long time person for that kind of stuff, since hubby usually can do most minor things or at least jury rig it. PITA trying to find people in the Bay Area who aren't just trying to rip you off since all ppl in/from the Bay Area ofc must have the incomes of Clint Eastwood. Actually, sometimes people in other cities would do the same, once they knew our address. You could see their eyes light up "oh, you're from....?"

...in other stuff, I've spent way too much time binge watching a YouTube channel called Kritter Klub, which is full of cat, dog (and other) rescue stories. YT's algorithm always gives me one of them now and again but this time I'm running their their whole upload catalog which is huge. The video is culled from an actual S. Korea SBS animalfarm/rescue TV series, but I think they make/use their own YT/captions/subtitles, not sure. Anyway, some are horrifying, some are heart-melting/inspiring, some are tear jerkers. I guess I'm just wanting a pet again.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

Sidenote: actually what that Kritter Klub does is make me go back to wanting to create/have a no-kill cat shelter, where I could house 15-20 at a time, try to find homes for them when you can etc. I suppose the city wouldn't really let me build one in the backyard tho, and I'd need a lot of extra money to run one (vet on hand and all that).

• Like 3

Hubby: I have to go to LA with (name) Thurs/weekend (work)
Me: Send me a text when you land/get to the hotel.
Hubby: Not from the air?
Me: Landing is what matters.
Hubby: So if we're going down, I shouldn't send one?
Me: *punches*

😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Sidenote: actually what that Kritter Klub does is make me go back to wanting to create/have a no-kill cat shelter, where I could house 15-20 at a time, try to find homes for them when you can etc. I suppose the city wouldn't really let me build one in the backyard tho, and I'd need a lot of extra money to run one (vet on hand and all that).

cats about town

https://m.facebook.com/catsabouttown/posts/

you can volunteer time and money to aid people already well-equipped to do what you hope to achieve. is folks as far away as los angeles on their wait list for low cost dental services.

am not a cat person, but these folks is one o' the handful o' local organizations we feel no reservations 'bout providing donations.

if you are serious, ask suna kneisley how you might help.

HA! Good Fun!

ps have mentioned the cats folks previous... once or twice

is rare anything new from Gromnir

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Went to Tehran. It's war over here, folks! In every major city people are fighting security forces with bare hands.

If you guys don't see me here again it probably means I died on the streets fighting some religious nut jobs.

The government is on the verge of collapse though. 

Wish us victory! ✌

• Like 12

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Stay safe, best of luck

Edited by Azdeus
Forum went weird on me

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Katphood said:

So soon ?

26 minutes ago, Katphood said:

Went to Tehran. It's war over here, folks! In every major city people are fighting security forces with bare hands.

If you guys don't see me here again it probably means I died on the streets fighting some religious nut jobs.

Wish us victory! ✌

✌️

Stay safe.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks