Avowed Development Issues

Sanjid099

Finally able to shed some light on the whole Avowed reboot ordeal. Jez Corden (notable Xbox podcaster) stated in his podcast (link below) that initially Obsidian felt like they needed to reach Bethesda level of features for Avowed (by adding additional stuff like 4-player coop) because they wanted to impress Microsoft. However, they later realized that they're a much smaller studio compared to Bethesda's massive workforce and had to curtail their ambitious plans.

Jez later clarified that Obsidian actually changed the direction of the game's development by focusing only on features that they're familiar with (such as deeper RPG mechanics and branching storylines). They're basically aiming to make Avowed a drastically enhanced version of the Outer Worlds. If you ask me, this seems like a positive direction for the game's development. Fingers crossed...

Podcast Link (Start at 1:28:00): https://youtu.be/1XfoKLqmNbc?t=5280

Screenshot 1: image.thumb.png.e7240993959be906b72f828838a41676.png

Screenshot 2: image.thumb.png.514c614a4f613dd19b47692a157b8d5c.png

Edited by Sanjid099

16 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Sounds like a good choice.  Co-op sucks, just gimme a good story and player choice.  I don't have or want friends

Yup. Bethesda, Bioware, CDPR, and now apparently Obsidian have all walked away from trying to do SP+co-op in favor of strictly SP RPGs. Only Larian is still stuck in their "co-op is awesome, who needs SP" mentality.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UrbaNebula said:

To be fair to Larian, you don't HAVE to play their games in Co-op.

You don’t HAVE to play Left4Dead in coop either. That’s exaggerated comparison of course, and they made big strides since D:OS1 to provide better singleplayer experience. Obviously my issue isn’t that coop exists, it that it impacts negatively my singleplayer experience. Not something that I mind in itself in Divinity series, Larian be Larian and that is fine, but their games just don’t do well what Obsidian is doing well.

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

You don’t HAVE to play Left4Dead in coop either. That’s exaggerated comparison of course, and they made big strides since D:OS1 to provide better singleplayer experience. Obviously my issue isn’t that coop exists, it that it impacts negatively my singleplayer experience. Not something that I mind in itself in Divinity series, Larian be Larian and that is fine, but their games just don’t do well what Obsidian is doing well.

This is it for me too. Obviously I have no desire to deny anyone their preference to play in coop/MP. But I simply don't buy that a developer can make game design decisions that are simultaneously optimal for both SP and coop-MP. Many game design decisions are optimal for one or the other, and doing it optimally for one makes the other experience suffer. So I believe games (specifically RPGs) can be "good" only as either SP-only or MP-only games. And while a game made optimally for the SP experience can still offer a decent MP experience, I can't see it being that way in the other direction. So for me, SP games need to be SP-only by design if they're to offer a good SP experience.

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

And while a game made optimally for the SP experience can still offer a decent MP experience

I will actually disagree with that, though it depends what one wants from a MP experience. If one just wants to hang out with buddies while playing a game, then really any functional MP mode will do. For me multiplayer games that work the best requires other humans input or response. That why I thought D:OS1&2 work much better in coop - as there is a lot of stuff you can do in those games, but without a coop player to do it to, or respond to what you are doing the experience felt rather hollow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2022 at 10:11 PM, Sanjid099 said:

Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-game-studios-bethesda-softworks-otxix-twenty-five-years-in-the-making.589791/page-198#post-88203396

Screenshot 1: image.thumb.png.ac9200d6025b091e349b4025e0d7457c.png

Screenshot 2: Avowed - Jason Schreier

Recently, Jason Schreier (notable games journalist) stated the quote in screenshot 1 claiming Avowed's development is going through some rough patches. He also posted the tweet on screenshot 2, but recently deleted his post. it seems he was correct in his claims regarding Avowed not showcasing in this year's Xbox Games Showcase. What are your thoughts on this?

It's always interesting to hear insider reports on the development of highly anticipated games like Avowed. If Jason Schreier's claims are accurate, it's not uncommon for a game's development to face some rough patches. Game development is a complex and iterative process that involves many different teams and moving parts, and it's not always a smooth journey. That being said, it's important to remember that development setbacks or delays do not necessarily mean the game won't turn out well in the end. Sometimes delays or setbacks can actually be a good thing, as they can give the development team more time to polish and refine the game. As for Avowed not being showcased in this year's Xbox Games Showcase, it's difficult to say what the reason for that might be. It could be due to the game's development not progressing as quickly as planned, or it could be a strategic decision by the development team or Microsoft to hold off on showcasing the game until it's further along in development. Overall, I'm interested to see how Avowed develops and what it will eventually become. It's always exciting to see new games in development, and I hope that Avowed turns out to be a great game for fans of the RPG genre.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:01 AM, Sanjid099 said:

Finally able to shed some light on the whole Avowed reboot ordeal. Jez Corden (notable Xbox podcaster) stated in his podcast (link below) that initially Obsidian felt like they needed to reach Bethesda level of features for Avowed (by adding additional stuff like 4-player coop) because they wanted to impress Microsoft. However, they later realized that they're a much smaller studio compared to Bethesda's massive workforce and had to curtail their ambitious plans.

Jez later clarified that Obsidian actually changed the direction of the game's development by focusing only on features that they're familiar with (such as deeper RPG mechanics and branching storylines). They're basically aiming to make Avowed a drastically enhanced version of the Outer Worlds. If you ask me, this seems like a positive direction for the game's development. Fingers crossed...

Podcast Link (Start at 1:28:00): https://youtu.be/1XfoKLqmNbc?t=5280

Screenshot 1: image.thumb.png.e7240993959be906b72f828838a41676.pngBesides, the problem with social issues remains current, because as a law student I can say that it will not do any good, especially after I did the writing with the help of https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/social-issues/ I understood that it is actually very serious, but elsewhere permanently there were such problems. For me as a person who is connected to the state system this will be a serious problem anyway but the point is that I have the desire to fight with it and make the world better.

Screenshot 2: image.thumb.png.514c614a4f613dd19b47692a157b8d5c.png

It's understandable that Obsidian would want to impress Microsoft with Avowed, but it's also important to recognize the limitations of the studio's resources and expertise. Focusing on the areas where the team excels and can add the most value is a smart strategy, and it's encouraging to hear that they're putting an emphasis on deeper RPG mechanics and branching storylines.

As a fan of the Outer Worlds, I think this direction for Avowed is definitely a positive one. I'm excited to see how Obsidian will expand on the game's world and lore, and how they will incorporate the RPG elements and storytelling that they're known for. It's always great to see developers focusing on their strengths and creating games that play to those strengths, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Obsidian has in store for us with Avowed.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2023 at 2:21 PM, lukerobertsond49 said:

If Jason Schreier's claims are accurate, it's not uncommon for a game's development to face some rough patches. Game development is a complex and iterative process that involves many different teams and moving parts, and it's not always a smooth journey.

Double Fine’s Psycho-oddysey documentary shows development of one such project, and how team lead can not be the best fit for the team and the project in spite of being clearly competent. 

On 2/16/2023 at 1:41 PM, kanisatha said:

https://gamerant.com/avowed-release-date-2024/

Latest on a possible release timeline. Also, it would appear to negate pessimism that the game is "dead."

Eh, we will see if Avowed will show up in the Microsoft’s not-e3 showcase. I am still waiting for Silksong, which was allegedly supposed to be release before this years E3. 

Eh, we will see if Avowed will show up in the Microsoft’s not-e3 showcase. I am still waiting for Silksong, which was allegedly supposed to be release before this years E3. 

Allegedly being the key word, yeah. Apparently everything shown last year was scheduled for release within the next twelve months, but Starfield at least has slipped back to September. Really hoping it does come soon though. There's not a lot on my radar right now, but Silksong definitely is.

As for Avowed, if there is still no news at this years Meh-3, then I'm pushing it back to 2025 in my mind and finding something else to be excited about for a bit. I don't expect Starfield to have any real degree of depth as it widens its play space to ridiculous levels, but it might at least tide me over for a few months with it's various systems if it actually lands in September... Baldur's Gate 3 lands around the end of August too, and that's my online co-op game covered for a nice long while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 5:13 PM, ForgeMaster Darvis said:

How much longer till e3

Indefinitely longer as E3 is not happening. 

XBOX showcase and Starfield in-depth dive should take place on June 11. 

Edit. Showcase confirmed

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/microsoft-put-a-time-and-date-on-their-2023-not-e3-xbox-games-showcase

Edited by Wormerine

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, Wormerine said:

Double Fine’s Psycho-oddysey documentary shows development of one such project, and how team lead can not be the best fit for the team and the project in spite of being clearly competent. 

I think it will be released this year. I'm waiting for it, too.

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, Wormerine said:

It's been posted in other parts of the forum, but Obsidian explained a little bit about Avowed development troubles. Rumors that the game was originally multiplayer focused and Obsidian ended up piviting away from it were true

So glad they dropped the co-op

Co-op in and of itself wouldn't've been the end of the world, but I got the impression that they wanted it so that each player had one character to control, thereby having a 'party based' game without having to make companions. That kinda co-op I would've hated.