What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

Considering selling my condo. It'd fetch a pretty penny but I doubt I'd ever be able to afford buying in that area ever again unless the market tanks worse than the great recession. The HOA doesn't allow short term rentals and having long term tenants isn't as lucrative.

Free games updated 3/4/21

29 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Considering selling my condo. It'd fetch a pretty penny but I doubt I'd ever be able to afford buying in that area ever again unless the market tanks worse than the great recession. The HOA doesn't allow short term rentals and having long term tenants isn't as lucrative.

Dont sell it now if you worried about the current US economic slowdown or if property prices are dropping, the US economy will recover because the global inflation will end and supply chains will be fixed again 

Obviously if you need the revenue now thats a different reason but dont do it because you worried about the collapse of the US economy, thats extremally unlikely 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh look, the service technician for our tractors is here again, second day in a row.................

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

18 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Oh look, the service technician for our tractors is here again, second day in a row.................

Maybe they nervous because Sweden is about to join NATO and the worried what the US is going think if Swedish tractors cant be utilized in the Ukrainian war  effort ?

:p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Maybe they nervous because Sweden is about to join NATO and the worried what the US is going think if Swedish tractors cant be utilized in the Ukrainian war  effort ?

:p

Russian sabotage you say? Well, considering they're completely useless for the purpose of towing russian tanks, it'd make perfect sense for the Russians to sabotage them in their usual display of competence.

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, we got an audit incoming, and received a guideline for our behaviour in case of questioning. Reads a little like "What to do when the Gestapo walks into your office and starts asking questions", particularily the part about no talking back to the auditors. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Well, we got an audit incoming, and received a guideline for our behaviour in case of questioning. Reads a little like "What to do when the Gestapo walks into your office and starts asking questions", particularily the part about no talking back to the auditors. :p

I remember when working in New Zealand… part of the training was how to deal with police raids 😎

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, majestic said:

You know auditing is an important and legal part of financial governance?

Its one of the  ways we prevent corruption and mismanagement in business 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, majestic said:

I had that too in my previous company. It was literally like a prison, cameras everywhere, computers shot in the knees, almost no internet, etc. Now they all work from home, on their personal devises...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I had that too in my previous company. It was literally like a prison, cameras everywhere, computers shot in the knees, almost no internet, etc. Now they all work from home, on their personal devises...

Yeah. We have an ISO 27001 certification, which the upcoming audit is for, an ISO 9001 certification, for which there are of course separate audits, and our branch has a TAPA certification too. Can't even go to the crapper without your (personalized) access badge. Internet filter, highly restrictive firewall rules, can only run executables that are on the whitelist (although that's pretty good protection from silly users clicking on WATCH.BIG.TIDDIES.WMV.CRYTO.TROJAN.EXE). If I want to install something on my computer that isn't part of our approved list I need to request a time-limited local administrator password that expires faster than the setup usually is. Need a reboot for something? Yeah, back to requesting a new one.

Not that I disapprove. A little headache for us power users beats having major headaches because the regular users kill everything twice a week, or the entire company, right, Maersk? :p

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Back then, the training was because I worked in a role as (assistant) manager in one of the "Big Four". The amount of information we had on every man and his many layers of obfuscation of true ownership of money meant, razzias were a very real possibility at any moment, when investigators were digging into the assets of suspected white collar criminals. A bit irrelevant for us, who made software (and didn't offer audit, Tax advice or other financial advisory services) for the company's clients. It did make daily work a bit more interesting. More fun than the fortnightly fire drills (evacuating from the top of The Majestic Center in Wellington, 26th floor, using the stairs sucked) or the frequent earthquakes.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Yeah. We have an ISO 27001 certification, which the upcoming audit is for, an ISO 9001 certification, for which there are of course separate audits, and our branch has a TAPA certification too. Can't even go to the crapper without your (personalized) access badge. Internet filter, highly restrictive firewall rules, can only run executables that are on the whitelist (although that's pretty good protection from silly users clicking on WATCH.BIG.TIDDIES.WMV.CRYTO.TROJAN.EXE). If I want to install something on my computer that isn't part of our approved list I need to request a time-limited local administrator password that expires faster than the setup usually is. Need a reboot for something? Yeah, back to requesting a new one.

Not that I disapprove. A little headache for us power users beats having major headaches because the regular users kill everything twice a week, or the entire company, right, Maersk? :p

I couldn't delete my desktop shortcut without an admin password.

8 minutes ago, Gorth said:

More fun than the fortnightly fire drills (evacuating from the top of The Majestic Center in Wellington, 26th floor, using the stairs sucked) or the frequent earthquakes.

Reminds me of a fire drill where one colleague was on the crapper, mid drop. Without going further in to it we failed that fire drill.

Edited by Sarex
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Its one of the  ways we prevent corruption and mismanagement in business 

Definitely not working then.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

We don't even get that, the managers all deal with it. Of course the auditors have a policy that those can access data can not check in code and vice versa, and those that can affect data cannot access the application and vice versa.  This is why I have 2 logins for Perforce and Citrix...

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Open fridge for more than 10 seconds taking lots of stuff out: *BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPITYBEEP*
Preheat convection oven: *BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPITYBEEP*
Turn off oven: "plays some beepy tune to verify*
Open microwave, leave door open for a few to air steam out like I always do: *BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPITYBEEP*
Dryer/washer finishes cycle: *plays some long digital ringtone song* (I swear it's like, 15 seconds long)

...  >_<  ... "Honey, where's the sledgehammer."

...this house came with newer "digital-fancy" appliances. Can we go back to the cheap and silent appliances.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You can usually turn all of those off via a button or hidden settings. At least in Europe.

Edited by Sarex

52 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You can usually turn all of those off via a button or hidden settings. At least in Europe.

"House came with" ... we don't have manuals. I certainly don't see any button on the uber-busy interfaces, with a label that sounds related, although sure, one would think if there's a ringtone on the dryer that one could program that, but I don't see anything. I barely figured out how to push all the buttons in combos to make it do basic stuff, because I've apparently reached grandma-VCR age.  :disguise:

Note: these aren't super new or expensive stuff, but they are digital.

Where are my EZ/simple/takes 1 second manual dials? PFFFT. Even the dial the washer has is just the precursor to punching your way through more buttons/OSD.  Yeah, cranky old fart here. Edit: also, the front-loading washer sucks for skin allergy people like me. I have to rinse it even more times because less water = less soap actually rinsed out each time. It has to go, at the least (eventually).
digitalappliancesjpg.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think I've tried hitting that Settings button a couple times but don't recall seeing anything. That said, I get a little "afraid" pushing all those buttons wondering if something is going to explode or all 2001/HAL on me if I do it wrong. Hahaha. I'll look at that button again.

...also, based on my recent posting history sometimes I think I should my forum user name to KrankyCrimson.

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

"House came with" ... we don't have manuals. I certainly don't see any button on the uber-busy interfaces, with a label that sounds related, although sure, one would think if there's a ringtone on the dryer that one could program that, but I don't see anything. I barely figured out how to push all the buttons in combos to make it do basic stuff, because I've apparently reached grandma-VCR age.  :disguise:

Note: these aren't super new or expensive stuff, but they are digital.

Where are my EZ/simple/takes 1 second manual dials? PFFFT. Even the dial the washer has is just the precursor to punching your way through more buttons/OSD.  Yeah, cranky old fart here. Edit: also, the front-loading washer sucks for skin allergy people like me. I have to rinse it even more times because less water = less soap actually rinsed out each time. It has to go, at the least (eventually).
digitalappliancesjpg.jpg

On my Miele you press the up and down button at the same time to access the setting menu, and there you can select how much water it uses, how aggressive you want the wash to be and amongst other things how loud the beeps are. If you are really interested in seeing if you can turn those things off, send me the model numbers and I'll try and help you figure it out.

For LG it's something like this

But as I said, send me the model number and I'll hunt down for your model specifically how it's done.

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Edit: also, the front-loading washer sucks for skin allergy people like me. I have to rinse it even more times because less water = less soap actually rinsed out each time. It has to go, at the least (eventually).

There should be an allergy setting, which uses more water and repeats the rinse. Really basic washers have this, so that LG should have it.

edit: also, you probably know this already, but use fragrance free detergents.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

My LG stove looks similar to what you have above and I can turn off the sounds and flashing lights (for preheating) in settings.

My washer and dryer make annoying sounds but I leave them on so I don't forget about the clothes in them because I'm easily distracted.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

we got a 7 series viking, 48", dual fuel, (VDR74826GSS) and for what it cost, it should be able to read our mind w/o the need for us to depress buttons or turn knobs. that said, is surprising few confusing doohickeys and whatchamacallits on the viking... though am gonna admit we initial gave the "gourmet-glo" *snort* infrared broiler the skunk eye with its six freaking settings.  serious? there is a feature for backlight knobs which we used once- were christmas when we had young guests. red and green. is not s'posed to be for decoration, but whatever. the linked manual reveals just how few non-intuitive features the model boasts. is designed to cook food and not do our taxes or navigate solar space travel. we prefer simple.

as for washer... we got some kinda whirlpool model whatever. matty ryan and ice-t say we should wash our clothes in cold water 'cause climate change, something-something. at this point we throw clothes in, hit power and then start and hope for the best.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

58 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I think the signal button should do the trick on the washer.

It could also send the signal to home base. 😄 What a strange way to call a sound button...

2 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It could also send the signal to home base. 😄 What a strange way to call a sound button...

Well it's sending the signal to you 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Sarex - don't worry about it, not going to make someone do the work for me if I want to use a method other than a sledgehammer or buying something different. :) It's all mostly a comment regarding how much I dislike all the noise and nanny-nag "features."

I feel the same about any car where it goes "dingdingding" forever if you don't put on your seatbelt or close the door. I've cut wires before. 😛

As well as it all seems like we're actually making stuff more complicated to use vs. easier in the name of marketing ppl. trying to figure out how to make stuff to get people to want to repeatedly buy/"upgrade" a lot more often than truly they need to.

And yes, I use all the "free" stuff. Doesn't matter. If it's not rinsed to where I can't feel any "soapy" feel anymore (wet cotton feels stiff almost), it'll make me itch. The chemicals and agents and things they use to make ever more suds (because bubbles=clean to many minds) is just worse and worse. I've tried low-suds brands but it's no better, they then use anti-suds agents. Even dish soap makes my hands itch - Dawn used to be pretty good but lately it irritates me more than it used to.  I should probably grow a farm of soaproot or whatever plant and just use that. 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson