Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

Something about Boeing and staying in the air just seems to not mix... πŸ˜‚

(laughing because nobody was killed)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64645457

"US air safety officials say they will investigate why a Boeing 777 jet unexpectedly lost altitude and nearly plunged into the Pacific Ocean"

No, it wasn't a Boeing 777 Max 😝

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

not politics, but...

am suspicious o' articles which read as if they should be onion fare but with musk improbable faceplant situations is the norm.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Anyone here played Fallout: New Vegas? Always found it grating on the ears hearing people calling him Caesar pronounced with a K (I.e. Kaesar)? Well, turns out it is wrong... sort of. Because that doesn't make it sound any closer to classical Latin anyway, far from it, so you might as well stick with the established English pronunciation of it! πŸ˜‚

Β 

Β 

• Like 3

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

All I know is that the german Kaiser (same as the russian Tzar) is a derivation of Caesar, so for me the Kaesar seems pretty normal and intuitive.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

40 minutes ago, Lexx said:

All I know is that the german Kaiser (same as the russian Tzar) is a derivation of Caesar, so for me the Kaesar seems pretty normal and intuitive.

True. The point of the video was changing the first letter in the English pronunciation doesn't really make it sound any closer to the original (classical Latin) pronunciation. Hence, the recommendation just stick to the conventional English pronunciation (or German or Russian etc.)

Β 

On 2/22/2023 at 3:31 AM, Gorth said:

Anyone here played Fallout: New Vegas? Always found it grating on the ears hearing people calling him Caesar pronounced with a K (I.e. Kaesar)? Well, turns out it is wrong... sort of. Because that doesn't make it sound any closer to classical Latin anyway, far from it, so you might as well stick with the established English pronunciation of it! πŸ˜‚

Β 

am betting a dollar josh would shrink an inch after watching this 'cause seems more than likely he were the one responsible for the eye-roll caesar pronunciation from fo:nv.Β 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is the Way for The Mandalorian Fans in London - Jedi News

This is the Way for The Mandalorian Fans in London
A group of Mandalorian’s, from the Mandalorian Mercs, have turned heads in the capital as they marched through London in full costume to celebrate the release of the third season of The Mandalorian on Disney+.

331644860_527356029507237_67925599650378

Β 
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

60799904_v_6310.jpg

Finally hunted this down, saw in it an Iron Maiden fan video back in 2009 or something. Nice image.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 3/1/2023 at 5:06 PM, Raithe said:

This is the Way for The Mandalorian Fans in London - Jedi News

This is the Way for The Mandalorian Fans in London
A group of Mandalorian’s, from the Mandalorian Mercs, have turned heads in the capital as they marched through London in full costume to celebrate the release of the third season of The Mandalorian on Disney+.

Β 

Β 

And some gits went and stole two of the Mandalorian helmets once they'd finished trooping and were changing.

Β 

• Sad 1

I saw this and found it somewhat amusing and kind of interesting.

"USA Cultural Regions Map"

13db839fa55ba78936b17fff100223a3bd022985

I mean, none of those cultural groupings are official in anyway, but from this side of the pond and the handful of folks I know over there... That does seem a fairly accurate breakdown of regional identities that Americans seem to use.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/14/opinions/saddam-hussein-iraq-war-interrogations-george-piro-bergen/index.html

Interview with Hussein's interrogator, should be an interesting book he's writing

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know how many here have watched Terry Gilliam's "Brazil", but as a British filmmaker he's probably way too well acquainted with the British bueacracy

Now to the real life...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-65002430

Council letter

Β 

In short, the council wrote to the deceased and offered him a tax exemption for being dead, if he filled out the form and returned it.

Β 

Edit: Just to clarify, the guy wasn't dead, his wife died a month earlier.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Β 

Well, does Mr. Dobson have a 27B-stroke-6 or not? Those boys up in Central Services are sticklers for paperwork you know...

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Is his widow L Dobson ?

somehow missed this until this past monday and our accountant didn't tell us 'bout the change.

IRS: May 15 tax deadline extended to Oct. 16 for disaster area taxpayers in California, Alabama and Georgia

is four CA counties not impacted by the deadline extension, so is worth double-checking.

HA! Good Fun!