Ukraine Conflict - Drei Kameraden

BruceVC

Commander/Commandant nr. 10 will not get back home from Ukraine...

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

4 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

I wonder if this was anywhere verified as real. 

Also looks like Ukraine is slowly doing counter offensive attacks around Kyiv. Especialy to the east, very close to the area of the Video

Latest news:

Near Mokrets village on the border of Kyiv and Chernihiv regions Ukrainian army destroyed Russian unit, SAM, several tanks. Several tanks also seized

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lexx said:

They are still drafting conscripts in Donesk, etc. and send them to fight.

I don't know about that one. There have been a deluge of young volunteers from across Europe leaving to return to defend their homeland, often without military experience. There is just not enough time to train them. 

Those weekend warriors are going to die in droves. Forget about patriotism and bravery, at least until you are trained with a chance of success. 

I know they say that if you have only experience with airsoft you should not join the legions but those guys looks exactly like we did when I played airsoft

In other news, Shojgu stated that Russia will again open humanitarian corridors.... to Russia. Its like if 3rd Reich opened corridors for jews to concentration camps...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That is a bit of a patchwork set of weapons. But credit to them for getting so much good out of what they have. One disadvantage though is a number of their infantry rifles use different ammunition. I saw at least one guy carrying a M-249 SAW which is an absolute man-killer of a weapon. But it uses 5.56mm while the rest uses 7.63mm. One guy had what looked like a Kreiss Vector 9mm full auto. The video guy didn't point it out but that is what it looked like.

As for the anti-armor weapons you are outside of my wheelhouse on that one. The only one I am even vaguely familiar with is the AT-4 and it's long obsolete. And even then it was more used against buildings and fortification rather than vehicles. In my experience you didn't attack armor using infantry. A rifle company when confronted by tanks would set a hasty defense and call for air or artillery support. Or get the hell out of there. The folks fighting in Ukraine don't have that luxury.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

What about Rwanda?

Did have a large western intervention though. But for some reason arming and training the, uh, genocidal Hutu Interhamwe militias that still plague the region is not something the French government likes talking about much though. And yes, they kept training them even after the genocide started.

6 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Just how certain are we, that Ukraine will not go bankrupt before Russia?

Ukraine will be bailed out*. That's the point of all the rebuilding funds etc. It's a country whose economy is ~60% behind Belarus economically and there's an awful lot to bail out, but anything else would be a Russian victory, so... Just don't expect anything except for virtue signalling when it comes to EU membership. The EU is willing to talk the talk, but Ukraine makes some of the poorer expansion countries look like Monaco so there will be no walking being walked any time soon.

*Good news for the Russian people is that the politicians in the west will be returning the money seized from the oligarchs back to the Russian people who they care so very deeply about it being stolen from and haha I can't even write that with a straight face.

3 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

yesterday was on liveaumap in the surrounding of Brovary like 10 icons of russian convoys getting destroyed. So it seems legit to me. But you never know...

liveuamap is so biased it's literally useless.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

US really made a mess of that whole situation, from starting with the Cobra attack that killed 50+ because Cobras are great assassination tools, to the operation where they underestimated their opposition.   Trump would have probably done something even more stupid and realize Oakley's threat about levelling half of Mogadishu, heh.

Trump did have at least two SF raids/ operations that went bad (one in Niger pretty significantly, one in Yemen), though you didn't hear much about them in the press since they lacked the... visuals of Mogadishu. Hence Trump didn't really care about making the big gesture in response.

Contrast with Trump wanting to start WW3 over Syria because it would one up Obama's 'red line', and having to be talked out of it by Mattis and pals. That was entirely about wanting to look the big man.

• Gasp! 1

30 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That is a bit of a patchwork set of weapons. But credit to them for getting so much good out of what they have. One disadvantage though is a number of their infantry rifles use different ammunition. I saw at least one guy carrying a M-249 SAW which is an absolute man-killer of a weapon. But it uses 5.56mm while the rest uses 7.63mm. One guy had what looked like a Kreiss Vector 9mm full auto. The video guy didn't point it out but that is what it looked like.

As for the anti-armor weapons you are outside of my wheelhouse on that one. The only one I am even vaguely familiar with is the AT-4 and it's long obsolete. And even then it was more used against buildings and fortification rather than vehicles. In my experience you didn't attack armor using infantry. A rifle company when confronted by tanks would set a hasty defense and call for air or artillery support. Or get the hell out of there. The folks fighting in Ukraine don't have that luxury.  

yeah some old RPGs but one guy was carrying Javelin system

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Mamoulian War said:

Also looks like Ukraine is slowly doing counter offensive attacks around Kyiv. Especialy to the east, very close to the area of the Video

Latest news:

Near Mokrets village on the border of Kyiv and Chernihiv regions Ukrainian army destroyed Russian unit, SAM, several tanks. Several tanks also seized

Yeah this is why I'm quite confident that even after the Russians eventually encircle Kyiv, which will happen simply based on Russia's sheer numbers advantage, it won't necessarily mean Ukraine's defeat. The Russian encirclement will be patchy and weak, with the Russian soldiers not being very motivated to hold their lines, thus providing lots of gaps and holes in their lines. But most importantly, a city being surrounded doesn't automatically mean the Ukrainians give up. They have shown tremendous tenacity in carrying out small, smart counterattacks, which they can do from behind the encircling Russian forces, attacks that will steadily bleed the Russians.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

Some interesting vid on the UA squads

Possibly some more knowledgable people on military could chime in, like @Guard Dog etc. 

Thanks for posting, man. Awesome video!!

This video clearly shows why the Ukrainians are beating the crap out of the Russians. These guys are likely simple recruits too. And yet they display incredible professionalism, cool heads, and no fear. They are clearly well versed in mobile infantry anti-armor tactics, have plenty of motivation and high morale, know their terrain well, and are surprisingly well equipped. Each man has at least one portable anti-armor weapon, and they're being very careful with their shots and not just wastefully firing them off. The NLAW is a very good system. But something as basic as an RPG-7 is pretty effective against most of what Russia has in the field. This is how you fight against an armor-heavy enemy: small squads of infantry with lots of portable anti-armor weapons, and where the infantry is mobile and not just sitting in dug-in positions where Russian artillery can blast them. If the Ukrainians have at least 100,000 troops just like these guys (the Ukrainian army before the war was around 150,000 active-duty troops and 900,000 reservists), the Russians are toast.

So Ukrainian victory in 2 weeks or so, then ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, HoonDing said:

Ukraine already killed 1,000,000 Russians and destroyed 3,000 tanks.

I'm sure there's some photoshop of Zelenskyy as the God Emperor, somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

42 minutes ago, Malcador said:

No, not quite. The question needs to be turned around. Russian victory in two weeks? Because if not, then we will enter a very long stalemate that will ultimately become a "defeat" for Russia. In other words, the onus is on Russia to defeat the Ukrainains in the next two weeks. If they fail to do so, they will be in serious trouble.

Well it also depends if they can get food smuggled into besieged cities

Here are some more excellent articles, especially for those of you looking for in-depth tactical analyses of Russia's battleplan and battlefield progress thus far, and an assessment of the longterm outcome (last article). These are good examples of the range of sources of my information driving my own thinking and analyses:

https://newlinesinstitute.org/russia/russian-success-or-failure-in-ukraine-will-define-global-security-for-decades/

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2022/03/10/assessing_the_russian_army_performance_after_one_week_of_war_821037.html

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/03/russias-rocket-barrages-reveal-bad-planning-crueltyand-absence-crucial-skills/362911/

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-03-09/niall-ferguson-ukraine-invasion-struggles-could-be-the-end-for-putin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

I don't know about that one. There have been a deluge of young volunteers from across Europe leaving to return to defend their homeland, often without military experience. There is just not enough time to train them. 

Those weekend warriors are going to die in droves. Forget about patriotism and bravery, at least until you are trained with a chance of success. 

What I mean is that russia is still drafting "volunteers" from the border regions.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

I wonder if this was anywhere verified as real. 

3 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Commander/Commandant nr. 10 will not get back home from Ukraine...

Allegedly, this two tweets are about the same ambush.

• Hmmm 1

The entire population of Russia is now playing Grim Dawn.

Edit: Seriously though, Ikea and McDonald's are leaving. Can you imagine a country without Ikea and McDonald's?

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Wow, you really  sound disappointed that the Ukrainians are doing better than we thought against the much larger Russian army that is better funded and resourced?

Russia clearly doesnt have a very well trained army especially for ground combat, they very effective at levelling cities to the ground from  miles up in the sky with airpower but not actual boots on the ground strategy 

But Russia should still win this conflict so need to be worried 

But they will lose the war and the sanctions will have the last say 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Here are some more excellent articles, especially for those of you looking for in-depth tactical analyses of Russia's battleplan and battlefield progress thus far, and an assessment of the longterm outcome (last article). These are good examples of the range of sources of my information driving my own thinking and analyses:

https://newlinesinstitute.org/russia/russian-success-or-failure-in-ukraine-will-define-global-security-for-decades/

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2022/03/10/assessing_the_russian_army_performance_after_one_week_of_war_821037.html

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/03/russias-rocket-barrages-reveal-bad-planning-crueltyand-absence-crucial-skills/362911/

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-03-09/niall-ferguson-ukraine-invasion-struggles-could-be-the-end-for-putin

Some really interesting reads, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

To those thinking, that electric cars are the answer to rising gas prices.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/tesla-increases-vehicle-prices-nickel-squeeze-creates-chaos

To put some perspextive, what is critical in the next stage economy

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/these-are-50-minerals-critical-us-security

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Wow, you really  sound disappointed that the Ukrainians are doing better than we thought against the much larger Russian army that is better funded and resourced?

Russia clearly doesnt have a very well trained army especially for ground combat, they very effective at levelling cities to the ground from  miles up in the sky with airpower but not actual boots on the ground strategy 

But Russia should still win this conflict so need to be worried 

But they will lose the war and the sanctions will have the last say 

Really, why do you say I seem disappointed?

3 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Really, why do you say I seem disappointed?

Mostly because of the sarcastic comment " So Ukrainian victory in 2 weeks or so, then ? " 

John Milton