The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one

Gorth

15 hours ago, HoonDing said:

"We definitely dont want a Le Pen victory, anything that threatens the sustainability of the EU we dont want  "

Who's this "we"?

Oh I dont know, people like you who immigrated to the EU and live in the countries like Netherlands which is part of the EU might want the EU to survive ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hear if Le Pen wins, democracy dies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Opinion Elon Musk's vision for the internet internot is dangerous nonsense Robert Reich Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an 'uncontrolled' internet. That's also the dream of every dictator, strongman and demagogue'

WTF? 

• Confused 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Opinion Elon Musk's vision for the internet internot is dangerous nonsense Robert Reich Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an 'uncontrolled' internet. That's also the dream of every dictator, strongman and demagogue'

WTF? 

Elon Musk is trying to buy twitter to get people to stop posting this:

5eff2bd65af6cc5a2a2ff722?width=1136&form

• Haha 5
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Someone just has to tell him Obsidian is run by SJWs and is woke.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

WTF? 

I assume uncontrolled is in inverted commas for a reason. 

I went and read the article. He argues that Musk's words are dangerous demagoguery, not backed up by his actions. 

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

Did anyone take a gander at the newest wikileaks dump?

No, I dont follow selective and biased propaganda 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61097114

Well, that's an interesting "solution"

Their is nothing wrong with Rwanda, its a very stable and well run country

Malc you guys have got to stop thinking that the whole of Africa is some big failed state. Yes their are failed states and some benighted countries but also some progressive and well run countries. They may not be first world but you can live their and have a future. I could live in at least 10-12 African countries and Rwanda is one of them 

John Milton 

24 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Malc you guys have got to stop thinking that the whole of Africa is some big failed state. Yes their are failed states and some benighted countries but also some progressive and well run countries. They may not be first world but you can live their and have a future. I could live in at least 10-12 African countries and Rwanda is one of them 

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Rwanda, I'm well aware Africa is not all the Congo circa 2000.  It's just that it seems a bit ill spirited to send them thousand of miles, I heard on the radio an activist suggesting they just allow them to apply for asylum at any embassy - seems much more practical. 

Somewhat inventive, paying poorer nations to allow you dump undesirable refugees there.  I guess they can start an industry for refugee dumping now.

Edited by Malcador
  • Hmmm 1

Title of the article is "Why the Past 10 Years of American Life Have Been Uniquely Stupid", but a better title would perhaps be "Social Media, A Modern Age Tower of Babel", a long read from The Atlantic about the internet and social media and how the two of them seem to be breaking down the binding forces of society.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61097114

Well, that's an interesting "solution"

Boris has been cribbing Scott Morrison/ John Howard's notes. One also suspects that Kagame is going to get some good PR in the UK, and less talk about him being a dictator and too chummy with China.

Plus Rwanda's demographics are still kind of weird due to the genocide.

Also, what's the perspective on this?

Reuters - Republic party withdraws from US commission on presidential debates

The Republican National Committee voted unanimously on Thursday to withdraw from the Commission on Presidential Debates, saying the group that has run the debates for decades was biased and refused to enact reforms.

"We are going to find newer, better debate platforms to ensure that future nominees are not forced to go through the biased CPD in order to make their case to the American people," the committee's chairperson, Ronna McDaniel, said in a statement.

The RNC's action requires Republican candidates to agree in writing to appear only in primary and general election debates sanctioned by the committee.

The nonprofit commission, founded in 1987 to codify the debates as a permanent part of presidential elections, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

It was unclear what format future RNC-backed debates would take or whether they would take place as often as in recent decades.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I don't think Malc is suggesting that they're being exiled to some "****hole" country.

But it's being done ostensibly to "deter" human trafficking and Johnson made sure to clarify that any of lone male refugees that get to the UK will not be housed in "lavish hotels" but in "detention centers."

Given they are framing it as a solution to deter illegal immigration, it's explicit that they themselves consider the prospects of going to Rwanda to be a deterrence to try to enter the UK.

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, HoonDing said:

I'm guessing none of the recent arrivals of blue-eyed, blonde beauties will be sent to Rwanda

In fact there doesn't seem to be any refugee crisis hysteria at all

funny that

Do you think its funny? Why do you think "blonde hair, blue-eyes beauties " will not be sent to Rwanda. I always appreciate your deep insights

1 hour ago, alanschu said:

I don't think Malc is suggesting that they're being exiled to some "****hole" country.

But it's being done ostensibly to "deter" human trafficking and Johnson made sure to clarify that any of lone male refugees that get to the UK will not be housed in "lavish hotels" but in "detention centers."

Given they are framing it as a solution to deter illegal immigration, it's explicit that they themselves consider the prospects of going to Rwanda to be a deterrence to try to enter the UK.

Yes, its a deterrence to stop human smuggling and people arriving illegally in the UK but only if you think living in Rwanda is a bad option 

Many countries face a crisis around illegal immigration including SA. The article mentions 1000 people a day could arrive illegally in the UK. What would you suggest as the best method to stop or address  this flood of illegal immigrants?

Most of the world if you look at Africa and the ME uses refugee camps and detention centers. Would  this is be a better permanent solution in the UK as opposed to a new life in Rwanda?

John Milton 

https://news.yahoo.com/happens-next-elon-musk-bid-213320491.html

Musk has made a very reasonable offer to buy Twitter and even though the current board seems to be opposed its ultimately up to shareholders to decide. I think its a good deal considering the value of Twitter, to quote from the link

"Twitter’s market valuation this week is around $36 billion, and Musk is offering to pay $7 billion more than that. His bid amounts to roughly $54.20 per share—that’s 54% higher than Twitter’s share price the day before he began investing in Twitter and a 38% premium over the stock’s value the day before his investment was made public earlier this month"

I would agree to this offer if I was Twitter shareholder?

John Milton 

13 hours ago, HoonDing said:

I'm guessing none of the recent arrivals of blue-eyed, blonde beauties will be sent to Rwanda

In fact there doesn't seem to be any refugee crisis hysteria at all

funny that

I think the expectation is that they will return home after the conflict is over.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

You can  definitely tell that video was made by someone with  serious issues towards Madeleine Albright, Capitalism and the US 

You notice the sarcasm and condescending comments about gender equality and LGBT rights.." 5 mandatory pride parades every single  day  " :lol: ( parts of the video were funny with how he exaggerates and mischaracterizes certain events in history )

But she was a  great and iconic statesmen so thanks for this video :thumbsup:

RIP Madeleine Albright 

John Milton