What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.

Sarex

My motorcycle had a 20L tank I think? A bit less than 4.5 gallon unless the internet is lying to me 🤔

Fuel prices didn't really cause me much of a headache. Dangit, I really miss my bike now. Next on my to-do list

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Roughly $7.25 / gallon! There would be rioting in the streets if that was the price here. :lol: Right now, the 89 octane costs $3.80 / gallon.

Granted I use 98 octane instead of 95 because they've started mixing in 10% ethanol in 95oct petrol and it's a little bit more expensive.

And I have to say, I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate converting things between imperial and metric, y'all should just convert already! 😂

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

17 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Right now, the 89 octane costs $3.80 / gallon.

The what? I can't even remember when 89 octane gas was sold here. Certainly not in this millennium. :p

edit:

19 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I needed space in the car for 4 other adults to comfortably transit to work, I need towing ability and capacity and I need to be able to do maintenance myself, because a: I never trust a workshop mechanic and b: the charge too much for what they do, and they do it badly. The mileage is okay, and the tuning and such is just a bonus and actually increases efficiency. It also makes me safer in traffic to be able to match the traffic speed when merging with the highway traffic 😛

You can fit four people into a Ford Focus if you really need to, I have no witty retort for the towing ability, paranoia and penile extension. Yep. Sounds about right. :p

But yeah, gas is pretty expensive in Sweden.

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

And I have to say, I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate converting things between imperial and metric, y'all should just convert already! 😂

Word. I think the UK should simply demand royalties or taxes for the US' use of the Imperial system, they'd adapt metric in no time.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Surely, if nothing else, the internet was invented so you could get all sorts of free-to-use measurement converters at your fingertips. 😛

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

The what? I can't even remember when 89 octane gas was sold here. Certainly not in this millennium. :p

edit:

You can fit four people into a Ford Focus if you really need to, I have no witty retort for the towing ability, paranoia and penile extension. Yep. Sounds about right. :p

But yeah, gas is pretty expensive in Sweden.

Word. I think the UK should simply demand royalties or taxes for the US' use of the Imperial system, they'd adapt metric in no time.

I forgot that the yanks don't use the same octane rating as we do, we use the Research Octane Number, while they use a sort of median called AKI, subtract like 4-6 depending on mood for their octane rating :p

That's actually a brilliant idea! The irony of imperial being defined by metric though is 👌

Also, no, no you can't fit 4 people plus driver comfortably in a Focus, I can't comfortably fit in the rear seat of one :(

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Surely, if nothing else, the internet was invented so you could get all sorts of free-to-use measurement converters at your fingertips. 😛

Yeah, aslong as you don't accidentally use the wrong gallon, there's like 3 different ones? There's one measurement of liters, and that's a liter :p

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, aslong as you don't accidentally use the wrong gallon, there's like 3 different ones? There's one measurement of liters, and that's a liter :p

I think there are more, because a gallon of gas is a different amount of liquid than a gallon of water, then there's US, UK and Canadian gallons and I'm not entirely sure alcohol isn't measured in something else as well.

13 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I forgot that the yanks don't use the same octane rating as we do, we use the Research Octane Number, while they use a sort of median called AKI, subtract like 4-6 depending on mood for their octane rating :p

Eh, okay. In that case, that's pretty much the same then. Maybe a bit less.

13 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Also, no, no you can't fit 4 people plus driver comfortably in a Focus, I can't comfortably fit in the rear seat of one :(

That's a little joke based on a couple of colleagues and myself getting a Ford Focus as rental car to drive to a meeting once. That was throughly unpleasant, if a bit cheaper than a proper car. :p

14 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

That's actually a brilliant idea! The irony of imperial being defined by metric though is 👌

Would be fun to see if the average American's need to be different from everyone else outweighs their hatred of taxes or not. Heh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I think there are more, because a gallon of gas is a different amount of liquid than a gallon of water, then there's US, UK and Canadian gallons and I'm not entirely sure alcohol isn't measured in something else as well.

True, true - I forgot the regional differences aswell.

Eh, okay. In that case, that's pretty much the same then. Maybe a bit less.

Yeah, I think 89 Octane is 95 here in Europe, and 98 Oct is 93?

That's a little joke based on a couple of colleagues and myself getting a Ford Focus as rental car to drive to a meeting once. That was throughly unpleasant, if a bit cheaper than a proper car. :p

Haha, before I got my licence we used to commute in a Peugeot 206cc... I couldn't even fit properly in the front seat! xD

Would be fun to see if the average American's need to be different from everyone else outweighs their hatred of taxes or not. Heh.

I think that might actually cause the US to secede from the world itself in protest! XD "I reject your reality and substitue my own!"

Edited by Azdeus

9 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I think that might actually cause the US to secede from the world itself in protest! XD "I reject your reality and substitue my own!"

Huh? The "average American" (of certain generations) uses the Imperial system because thats what we were taught, not because we need to be different. I would think thats evident? :shrugz: Youde have to confirm with @Hurlsnot, but I think they teach the metric system in school nowadays?

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Huh? The "average American" (of certain generations) uses the Imperial system because thats what we were taught, not because we need to be different. I would think thats evident? :shrugz: Youde have to confirm with @Hurlsnot, but I think they teach the metric system in school nowadays?

We got taught both, but Imperial was what was used.  I'd have no real issue switching over to metric - conversions are a lot easier.  Had to figure out cups to quarts over the weekend while I was cooking (who puts a recipe in ****ing quarts?) 

😀

Edit: metric would have been clearer since it's base 10 rather than dealing with 4 to change quarts to cups. So that's a vote for metric.

• Confused 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 minutes ago, Amentep said:

who puts a recipe in ****ing quarts?

Who indeed?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Well people who make a lot more helpings of food than me in the imperial system, obviously.

*Moves the decimal point* Done! 😇 😁

• Like 1

Modern_Problems_Require_Modern_Solutions

36 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Sexy people. It took me just over one and a half microfortnights to come up with that.

What measurements are you using for sexy, MegaGigaChads or macroe-rotics?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I just combine the two if someone gets snippy. I just put a little over 14 metric gallons of gas in my car the other day but I had a dollar off each gallon so I only paid $2.729 per metric gallon. Not sure how much that is in imperial liters.

Realistically we use both measurements all the time, especially with liquids. At least that's my biggest exposure to the metric system... though maybe I have a drinking problem.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Was sick for the past week. Didn't get tested, but the person I got it from, again, did. The symptoms were pretty much the same as 2 years ago from what I can remember, only that this time by the end of it I lost my sense of smell and taste. I got my taste back mostly the next day. Hoping that the residual symptoms don't stick around too long, last time I was coughing for a while.

• Sad 6

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Get well soon!

I'm well enough. All in all the symptoms were pretty light, although the coughing got intense at one point.

edit: very>were

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

You know, my wife was just voicing her displeasure over the gas bill and I looked over her shoulder...gas increased in price from .21 in Jan 2021 to .63 in Jan 2022.

63 cents? Maybe we should move there.
Currently here, it's $2/Therm Tier1 and $2.5 for Tier2. And like with all such things, you're pretty much guaranteed to hit at least 1/3 of billed hours as Tier2, unless you just shut it all off most days. 

It's been going up steadily for a while now (I do expect inflation over decades after all) but I think it did do a large jump somewhat recently. I don't have a bill from last winter but back in Aug. last year it was $1.4/$1.9. And I think last winter's total monthly bill averaged $70-$100 less than this winter's (without any use-habit change - we actually used less Therms last month than the same month last year).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

California/or any huge urban/metro areas:  where sure, you can/may make what sounds like a lot of money, but you will (still) spend most of it on just paying your bills vs. being "rich."  It ain't just the real estate.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Therm"! Thank you, I couldnt remember the units. Yeah it went from 21 cent per to 63 cent per. And I use it like crazy, for example I run my fireplace almost 14h a day, but I do keep my thermostat set to 68F. I think the bill was ~$190 and she was aghast until we noticed the price increase. :lol:

According to Wikipedia, in real units (how fitting that we were just talking about those), that's 105.6 MJ, or 29.3 kWh per therm. Hmm, time to look at my gas bill. Hold on a second. 3.32€ per "therm", convert to USD at current rate... we're at 3.74$ per therm, give or take a few cent.

Yeah, tell you what, let's swap energy prices and I'll happily adopt your Imperial fantasy measurements where a yard is the length of a man's belt, any part of my thumb is an inch and my foot like a, uhm, foot long... and all cups are the same size so they can be used to measure cooking ingredients. :lol:

edit:

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

By the way, I know there are also a lot of practical reasons for keeping the regular measurements, but there have been attempts to change it and even swapping road signs lead to protests it really just comes across as "We 'Murica, so we do our own thing!" by now. Honestly though, I don't doubt you'd find a whole lot of people who would give a reason like that when asked why not to switch, next to claims that Imperial measurements are simply "natural" (maybe they once were or I have supremely long thumbs, but not one part of it is an inch... no way) or something. I think the last time a man's belt was a yard long was when the yard was devised.

Mostly good natured polemic. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1