The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???

Zoraptor

21 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The first episode actually was. At least for them anyway, since they were covering the news from the past year

Yes I saw that in the blurb about the episode when I was scrolling through the channels. But that info has been extensively (and better?) covered in multiple other UFO-related shows (including a very recent 8-episodes show on the Travel Network).

Edit: I believe that show was titled UFO Witness.

Edited by kanisatha

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Anyone know when S3 drops? :lol:

Apparently they start filming in March, so maybe mid to late 2023 if we're lucky.

I liked s2 much better than s1, which felt almost CW tier at times. Yuge recommended.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah Witcher S2 was a big step up from S1 in pretty much every respect. Dunno how much of a budget bump they got, but it also looked very much like a premium product, which at times it decidedly didn't in S1. The quality was enough that I could hand wave away some of the concerns with plot contrivance...

Spoiler

Like Yennefer and wotsit escaping from his execution. Bring all the northern monarchs together, and you can escape by... stealing a horse and riding off like it was a local magistrate court in a hamlet of 50 people. Should have been done better.

And more a matter of not picking fights you don't need to, but if you've got lots of disposable OC witchers why use Eskel for the Leshen plot. It's like Triss' hair colour in S1, objectively it's a pretty minor detail, but, you're just setting up trouble pointlessly when there's an easy alternative.

The comparison to Wheel of Time is also pretty stark. Both had covid troubles, both took significant liberties with the source material and the like but Witcher was a quality product and WoT was a cheap looking badly written incoherent mess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

The quality is noticeably better straight from the get go in s2. I also like it very much that they are not following the books.

I haven't read the books so I'm not familiar, but it is just really well done in almost all regards.

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

The comparison to Wheel of Time is also pretty stark. Both had covid troubles, both took significant liberties with the source material and the like but Witcher was a quality product and WoT was a cheap looking badly written incoherent mess.

In some ways I think WoT comparisons can take away from how great Witcher s2 was. Because better than TV WoT is not a high bar.

42 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I almost can't wait to see what kind of a train wreak lotr is.

If I know anything, it's that however bad you think it could be, it can be much worse. Maybe it never gets released and we're all spared the psychic damage.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Watched the first episode of Boba Fett and when the credits rolled I turned to my wife and asked if she liked it. Nope! I've never seen her answer so fast.

Yeah, its well known that  most people from the Baltic states hate Star Wars ....its something to do with the Cold War and the Reagan missile defense system. So dont take it personally and want a divorce ;)

https://atomicarchive.com/history/cold-war/page-20.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The Witcher S2 E6/7/8

What a great season! Anyone know when S3 drops? :lol:

Its time you played the Witcher games, I can suggest some effective medication for your vertigo if you concerned ?

They really are  a superlative series of games 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Its time you played the Witcher games, I can suggest some effective medication for your vertigo if you concerned ?

Theres a few things I do to mitigate it. If I disable "head bob" it helps a little. If I disable "weapon sway" it helps a little and if I crank the FoV out it helps a little. But it really only buys me an hour or two, the vertigo/headache always wins out in the end. :( 

Oh, and dont even get me started on a 3-axis game like @Bartimaeus mentioned. Projectile vomit incoming!

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

37 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Theres a few things I do to mitigate it. If I disable "head bob" it helps a little. If I disable "weapon sway" it helps a little and if I crank the FoV out it helps a little. But it really only buys me an hour or two, the vertigo/headache always wins out in the end. :( 

I played some shooters pretty young (Counter-Strike, Quake III, Turok, America's Army all before the age of 10!), but most pertinently I played a lot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. a little later, which has some of the most extreme head-bobbing you'll ever see in any game plus plenty of weapon swaying to boot, so I guess I avoided those two issues. Field of view, on the other hand...what is with so many first-person games setting it so low that even I get sick from them? Seriously, stop it!

37 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Oh, and dont even get me started on a 3-axis game like @Bartimaeus mentioned. Projectile vomit incoming!

Thankfully, I've played about ten hours of Outer Wilds and I've almost totally conquered that one...almost. There's still a rare occasion that I lose my bearings because of suddenly teleporting or gravity turning sideways that gets me...I imagine you wouldn't fare too well with that?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

39 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Is this is a condition you have always suffered from or has it got worse the older you get and what games can you play if any, do you know what caused it ?

Sorry for all the questions, I am always interested in these types of ailments and if they physiological or is it more a mental  problem like something caused by stress( thats just an example  :) )

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Thankfully, I've played about ten hours of Outer Wilds and I've almost totally conquered that one...almost. There's still a rare occasion that I lose my bearings because of suddenly teleporting or gravity turning sideways that gets me...I imagine you wouldn't fare too well with that?

Oof, coming in sideways would definitely affect me.

7 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Is this is a condition you have always suffered from or has it got worse the older you get and what games can you play if any, do you know what caused it ?

The first game I remember really making me sick was Descent in 1995. Strangely, I used to be able to stomach the likes of Doom / Hexen / Heretic / RotT / Duke Nukem but now not so much. Even FO:NV hit me after an hour or so. The cause? Well, theres a lot of damage between my ears, so who knows? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember Descent. I liked it quite a bit for the time. It was definitely disorienting...I'd get so turned around visually, even if I don't have any motion/vertigo issues. It was one reason I liked the game tho - at the time the perspective gameplay  was so different from the rest.

Hubby doesn't get vertigo but the first time he played Borderlands 1 - which was basically the first time playing a more modern 3D 1st person - he moved his entire head while playing. And I mean in giant tilts, turns and bobs. Game camera "looks up", his head would go up, he turns a chr. to the right and his head moves to the right. As opposed to me, whose head never moves an inch, only my eyeballs. He's more mild about it now but still does it. I don't quite understand it/why some people do that, but it's kinda cute. And if you're wondering, he doesn't do that with movies/TV.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Driving a jeep in Far Cry 2 was the one that got me.  Had to stop and lay down with my eyes closed for a few hours and felt queasy the rest of the day.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

TNG "Force of Nature".  A bad idea handled badly. The scientist lady killing herself to prove her point was the best(?) part of the episode, the only part that "worked", but it was what - 10 minutes maybe?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man