The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???

Zoraptor

My dad had (well, still has) aphasia, and it developed at a pretty similar age to Willis. If he'd been an actor he could have kept working a fair while, since it didn't really effect his ability to read and recite stuff for years, just his general conversations. He'd have got increasingly hard to work with though.

But yeah, aphasia is also an indicator for really unpleasant things like fronto-temporal dementia. You'd actually kind of hope it's due to a stroke given some of the alternatives.

• Sad 3

On 3/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, Gorth said:

Something tells me Will Smith has a temper issue... stuff that needs anger management courses rather than screening?

am more annoyed by the possibility it were less 'bout temper and more 'bout relative power. will smith, like so many actors, athletes and executives, has learned he is insulated from consequences. most people with power realize it is fundamental wrong to do violence to others unless one is protecting those who cannot defend themselves from violence. however, there is exceptions. 

will smith correct anticipated the consequences o' his actions. shame on the academy. shame on his defenders. shame on will smith.

am understanding will smith were asked to leave following the incident. he refused to do so. can imagine if gorth or Gromnir smacked an employee at subway and then refused to leave? what woulda' been the consequences?

for those who have not read, insights from kareem abdul-jabbar

Will Smith Did a Bad, Bad Thing

that said, the oscars slap is hardly the worst thing an actor, athlete or executive has gotten away with (this week?) sans any real consequences. doesn't make the slap less offensive, or at least it should not.

as to aphasia...

our symptoms is transient and nowadays we suffer such every six months or so. curious, but not uncommon for those suffering our flavour o' migraine, our frequency o' incidence is decreasing as we age. regardless, aphasia is why we always carry a laminated card with us we may offer to concerned onlookers explaining our inability to speak. once happened on a plane, leading to a bit o' panic.

is a few explanations for relative brief symptoms o' aphasia which is less concerning than stroke. not many. doesn't sound like bruce willis' aphasia is transient and infrequent if it is forcing him to stop acting. am wishing best o' luck to bruce willis and his family. 

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So I got a password to Paramount Plus and decided to watch Star Trek Picard. It's actually ok? The characters can be annoying at times but it really feels like an updated Trek show. One thing I'm wondering about though

YOU FELL FOR IT FOOL!

THUNDER CROSS APRIL FOOLS!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 4
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

So I got a password to Paramount Plus and decided to watch Star Trek Picard. It's actually ok? The characters can be annoying at times but it really feels like an updated Trek show. One thing I'm wondering about though

Reveal hidden contents

YOU FELL FOR IT FOOL!

THUNDER CROSS APRIL FOOLS!

• Haha 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Speaking of that travesty, trying to watch episode five. Have to pause frequently because it is painful. Oh and… Brent Spiner is back playing a Doctor Soong on 21st century Earth.

This one is a geneticist because we are creatively bankrupt and incompetent. Taking bets now, do you think his test subject Kore, who may or may not be related to him and looks a whole lot like Soji, might be related to a certain genetically modified tyrant from TOS? 

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Hah, for crying out loud, the words Into Darkness were actually part of the dialogue…

Now Picard is planning an Oceans 11 plot to attend a party he was not invited to. Yeah. Well, they are not going to steal anything so it is more like a Mission Impossible thing I guess. Agnes attended the Ancient Coding (actual dialogue) class back home and they are going to send her in to Hack the Planet… I mean get them on the invite list.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

Brisco County - EP7 Pirates!

Brisco and Bowler take on a pirate captain chased off the high seas that now does his pirating in the deserts of Nevada. Tangentially related to the main plot since said pirate was one of the men that killed Brisco's dad.

Not as good as Riverboat, but still an above average and highly entertaining episode. It's an interesting way to sneak some swashbuckling into a western TV show. Bowler was great as usual and we got some more bonding between him and Brisco. Also, Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle appears in this episode as a sick kid.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Started watching Dexter: New Blood yesterday. At first I just wanted to check in a bit and see how it goes, then suddenly I was 3 episodes in. So far it is surprisingly good.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Those sly bastards, that almost looks like an honest to goodness Star Trek show. I'm not falling for it. We have some gluttons for punishment here that are still hate watching Discovery and Picard, they can be my mineshaft canaries. Plus, they can deny it all they want, but we all know Mike and Rich are going to wind up watching this and doing a re:View on it. If the unthinkable happens and I have confirmation from multiple trusted sources that, against all odds Kurtzman did a good then I'll check it out. I'm not holding my breath.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Say what you will about the rest of it, but the character arc across multiple forms of media across the years was really well handled.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Vince McMahon was always terrible at taking the Stunner, but what transpired over last weekend was next-level:

What a trainwreck, I loved it!

giphy.webp

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, there goes my idea of getting some sleep before midnight for a change. Time to watch. :p

edit:

6be89o.jpg

Edited by majestic
  • Like 4

TNG "Journey's End"

While I understand wanting to give Wesley a different fate than being an ensign again, why did they have to do so with such a terrible story?

Why did Jean Luc's family from France suddenly become Spanish Conquistadors?

Why did they not reference a specific tribe but just refer to the settlers as 'Indians'?

Why did the Traveler disguise himself? Was there a point?

Why is the Enterprise,  flagship of Starfleet sent to do this task and what happened to Starfleet's ambassadors? Why does this kind of stuff keep being given to Picard?

Troi offers no real insight to the proceedings,  which is another missed opportunity to use her skills.

And the biggie...why wasn't the option for the settlers to stay under Cardassian rule not ironed out as an option during the negotiation? It seem like a blindingly obvious idea that was missed by Starfleet. The whole episode's main story is pointless.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, there goes my idea of getting some sleep before midnight for a change. Time to watch. :p

I don't think I can watch Rich and Mike anymore if I want to finish this season of Picard. They just show me all they ways the Picard episodes were worse than I noticed.

• Hmmm 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

That's why you shouldn't have started watching it to begin with!

Continued with Dexter: New Blood yesterday. I'm in episode 5 or 6 now. There's been some cringe moments now, but it's still good.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

ff to ~2:00.

scene recent came to mind. were a couple times we almost did the kirkland move while we were management, but we instead opted for straight-up and honest.

as wacky as it sounds, somebody not so long ago tried this play on us, asking for our help in a not so transparent effort to get our buy-in on something they knew we would be reluctant to endorse. were a bit patronizing and not just 'cause the effort were so clumsy. 

more to the point, while has been years since we watched justified, am somewhat disturbed by how often a scene from the show comes to mind 'cause were relevant to something we experience(d)... sans the gunfire, emulex and southern accents.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we did not at all identify with raylan givens, though we do have a 10x stetson cowboy hat which we has had for decades, but is more than a bit battered and we only use when working outdoors as 'posed to using as a fashion accessory. (edit) the last few years, during the summer we use a straw (technical palm leaf) cowboy hat/sombrero when working outside. the stetson is water resistant (to a degree) but it also gets kinda hot. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I haven't watched JUSTIFIED yet. Started to watch it because of the setting (my dad grew up in Harlan County), but then found out it wasn't actually shot there so the appeal of watching it with my dad was sort of lost. 

Still heard nothing but good things so I'm sure I'll watch it eventually when I finish the usual trash that I watch.

• Like 1

one obvious negative for justified is exemplified by the chadwick boseman episode. cringey is an understatement. is also a season five episode where a bad guy, boyd crowder, needs go to detroit. *groan* the show has questionable success integrating minority characters w/o making them caricatures.

justified is best when it sticks to hillbillies and rednecks.

HA! Good Fun!

ps david foley were in the detroit episode. portrayed, as far as we could tell, a mid-level boss in the canadian mafia. serious. foley had a couple lines which near any actor coulda' delivered after which he were never seen or referenced again on the show. weird cameo. 

• Thanks 1

Justified was great, though. Kinda thought of rewatching it again since a couple weeks. Last time I started it, it was still holding up very well .. the only reason I didn't watch it till the end then was because it got dropped from the streaming service and I would have to pay crapton of money for each season. : x

Knowing my luck, the moment I start spending money on it, it's going to hit Amazon Prime and will be available for free.

/Edit: Finished Dexter: New Blood yesterday. I think it was well done, and it ended how I expected. Apparently lots of people were pissed off again, but personally I think it was the right decision.

Edited by Lexx

11 hours ago, Amentep said:

I haven't watched JUSTIFIED yet. Started to watch it because of the setting (my dad grew up in Harlan County), but then found out it wasn't actually shot there so the appeal of watching it with my dad was sort of lost. 

Still heard nothing but good things so I'm sure I'll watch it eventually when I finish the usual trash that I watch.

Justified is probably my best series of all time and I have watched it twice. Dont worry about where its filmed because its very realistic and captures life in  Kentucky accurately and includes some excellent themed music...listen to the song below. I love this type of Country  music 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela