The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

What happened at the end? Spoil me rotten.

Trinity is the equal to Neo and can fly herself, not just be a romance mcguffin. They slap NPH's Analyst around and declare they want to paint rainbows in the sky to remind people of free and creative thinking and not just go with the status quo.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Hide contents

So they did not free humanity from the machines control?

Part of the questions of the movie is how much humanity actually would want to be free.  I think they basically settle on the message of "we can remind people they have the choice, but you can't make a horse drink from the trough you lead it to."

Oh yes, and...

That the in-film sequel Matrix game should probably involve catvideos.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Relevant because January:

RLM needs to do another one of these.

Kind of feels like this applies to every month, especially since coronavirus, though...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Weird ears on that dude.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

saw the new matrix movie.

not sure if the wachowskis were mocking the studios or the audience, but the meta aspects were kinda funny in a parody kinda way. am not sure if that were the intent.

kept thinking this sequel (reboot?) were a bit like if matrix got the phillips vision treatment.

am also clear never gonna understand the one stuff. thought neo were s'posed to be able to warp the reality o' the matrix, but if such is the case he gots an extreme limited imagination. is also kinda amusing the one is now 

Spoiler

a pair.

we liked the matrix. this weren't the matrix.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Watched Venom 2 yesterday, but I was so tired I fell asleep in the middle. So I went back to it today and watched it again. Good movie, especially because it is more "small scale" and doesn't deal with the usual world destruction stuff.

Still, while watching I was thinking they should make a tv show about a construction crew in the Marvel universe, who constantly have to deal with all the destruction in the city.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Pig (2021). I was not expecting this, it's like the anti-John Wick and that works wonderfully. Seeing Nicholas Cage in a more subdued role was really nice. Though I would not want to eat anything Robin made unless he took a shower.

The Dead Don't Die (2019). I wanted to see this years ago but the local theaters only had it for a weekend while some Marvel movie took up half the screens. It's very different and I think it is very good. Watching it now is sort of timely to compare with Don't Look Up, because it works much better as a satire of climate change inaction with a fraction of the effort. Maybe that's just because it is a better movie.

Shakma (1990). A b-movie from the 90's that is like an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but with a crazed baboon. It's hilarious.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

55 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Shakma (1990). A b-movie from the 90's that is like an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but with a crazed baboon. It's hilarious.

Wait...you actually like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? I remember you specifically giving me crap about my love for It's Always Sunny years ago. 

it-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-mardi-gr

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Wait...you actually like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? I remember you specifically giving me crap about my love for It's Always Sunny years ago. 

it-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-mardi-gr

I think you have me confused with someone else. I love It's Always Sunny and I'll give most things with Danny Devito a spin.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 hour ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I think you have me confused with someone else. I love It's Always Sunny and I'll give most things with Danny Devito a spin.

I thought I remembered what @Hurlsnot was talking about, so I went a-searchin':

Kind of difficult to interpret your message as being anything but anti-Sunny (and also anti-Scrubs), given you quoting Hurlshot where it's the only mentioned show, :p.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I thought I remembered what @Hurlsnot was talking about, so I went a-searchin':

Kind of difficult to interpret your message as being anything but anti-Sunny (and also anti-Scrubs), given you quoting Hurlshot where it's the only mentioned show, :p.

I was trying to make a joke. Scrubs was a guilty pleasure of mine in high school and It's Always Sunny is something I've always enjoyed.

KP edgy phase was not fun.

Edited by KP on top of ZA WARUDO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I was trying to make a joke. Scrubs was a guilty pleasure of mine in high school and It's Always Sunny is something I've always enjoyed.

KP edgy phase was not fun.

Lmao, I guess following it up would've been helpful, considering the discussion it spawned regarding entertainment and humor not being anywhere near universal.

...Except you did follow it up:

Your follow-up was not very helpful, :banana:.

P.S. Does anyone ever see some of their old posts and think their past selves must have been an alien?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

P.S. Does anyone ever see some of their old posts and think their past selves must have been an alien?

I do get that felling of "did I write that?", but if I think on it hard enough and try to get in to the frame of mind I was in that moment, then I can usually get to that same point. Trouble is that emotion are in the driver seat most of the time.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

14 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I do get that felling of "did I write that?", but if I think on it hard enough and try to get in to the frame of mind I was in that moment, then I can usually get to that same point. Trouble is that emotion are in the driver seat most of the time.

I think a big part of the problem is the specific particulars of how I write (little word usage, sentence structure, and tone stuff) changes over time, so it's like even if I still agree with the base ideas of what I wrote, it feels like someone else wrote it for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Lmao, I guess following it up would've been helpful, considering the discussion it spawned regarding entertainment and humor not being anywhere near universal.

...Except you did follow it up:

Your follow-up was not very helpful, :banana:.

All the time. The best solution is to not look at old posts.

Really though, back in the day I would try to be grumpy for no other reason than my job and school were mind numbing and internet fites were a source of entertainment. I apologize for being an **** to anyone back then.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Barti

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Bart, Barty, and Sue are all accepted and well-intentioned nicknames of "Bartimaeus". "Barti" has been specifically reserved for use by my enemies, and you are stepping on their toes by using it...or are you deliberately aligning yourself with them? :bat:

Spoiler

Obviously, it's reasonable to expect everyone to know this - obviously, :yes:.

• Haha 2

A long, long time ago I saved a thread from the old Interplay board, it was shortly before the invasion of Iraq (wow, almost 20 years now). I originally wanted to use the material to make fun of the posters and their predictions, but then two things happend. The forums died and the post war situation turned out worse than anyone of us opposed to the attack guessed.

Man, reading through this, I'm beginning to realize why I saved the thread in the first place. Sorry for putting politics in here, but that's the only one I have left. :)

Poster "The Raccoon", who was BruceVC's predecessor. Rock me some alaby and fry a criminal or two on faked charges.

If you can look at all this evidence that we have gathered and not be satisfied, then you can not be swayed. We have strong evidence that Saddam has WMD's. We know he would have motives to build and utilize a WMD. Saddam has no alaby. No alaby, strong evidence and motive. People are sent to fry in the chair for less.

Gunnery Sergeant Gregster compares Saddam to good old Hitler.

Giving in to Hitler and handing him the Sudatenland all nice and gift-wrapped was an alternative to war, and look what it got us: World War II.

Dear God, some people's forum status:

Iraqi Weather forcast: Heavy showers of steel rain

I, of course, also posted in this thread. In the interest of sparing myself the humiliation, I'm sure as hell not going to quote anything. That's... terrifying. 20-years-ago myself rivalled BruceVC's spelling and grammatical prowess. :p

Ah, hell, why not. I always put manual line breaks in my post and refused to capitalize anything for... some reason that sure made sense to me back then.

you seem a little bit too eager to blame saddam on all weapons any
terrorist might have. this is so blatantly untrue. PLUS, you don't have
any proof that saddam can sell those weapons - since he doesn't seem
to have some.

People calling each other butt-heads, morons, lady parts Trump likes to grab. Compared to that our current political thread is tame.

• Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

25 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

have difficulty mentally shortening to bart. is bar-timeaus as 'posed to bart-imeaus, yes? am guessing there is curious australian slang for blind, no? might be an option.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)