The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've had this issue with this forum very recently (wasn't like this up to a few/several days ago) where I often cannot see the embedded videos at all - it's just a blank forum space where they are.  But if I click back a page in the topic and back again, suddenly there they are.  It's been annoying.  I disable browser addons, even total-uninstalled/reinstalled my browser thinking that was the problem, but nope, still there.  Weird. 

uBlock Origin is erasing them and leaving a giant empty gap (so at least I know when people are posting them) on here all of a sudden the past few days as well, haven't yet tracked down the specific element causing it, though. But at least I can disable uBlock Origin and have them appear...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

But at least I can disable uBlock Origin and have them appear...

Wish that worked for me.  >.>

ublock and Noscript are the only addons I use and the very first thing I did when I reinstalled browser was to check this forum, before even installing those addons.  YT embeds still acted that way.  I'm getting used to hitting prev and then next in rapid succession over and over again by now.  =]

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've had this issue with this forum very recently (wasn't like this up to a few/several days ago) where I often cannot see the embedded videos at all - it's just a blank forum space where they are.  But if I click back a page in the topic and back again, suddenly there they are.  It's been annoying.  I disable browser addons, even total-uninstalled/reinstalled my browser thinking that was the problem, but nope, still there.  Weird. 

That might be related to the new cookies the forum sets. Because that really has only started to come up in the past few days. I only noticed because my phone's browser is set to private mode, and if I don't accept all the cookies the embedded content is just a blank square (sometimes it reads "you must accept our cookies to view the content"), but I'm not sure if that isn't just coded to work for us Euro-Peons.

But that's not what I meant, I'm region locked out of the video. YT tells me that I'm not allowed to see it based on my area, and I really can't be arsed to fake my location for some trailer on YouTube. :p

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

uBlock Origin is erasing them and leaving a giant empty gap (so at least I know when people are posting them) on here all of a sudden the past few days as well, haven't yet tracked down the specific element causing it, though. But at least I can disable uBlock Origin and have them appear...

Cookies maybe. You need to accept the social media tracking cookies to have the embedded content appear. if uBlock throws them out by default than that might be the cause. That's also something that is relatively new, or at least I think so, because I haven't seen that at all on my phone until a couple of days ago.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

^  Fiddling with my cookie settings (even "allowing all of them" type settings) didn't change anything. 

But I think I figured it out for me.  Noscript had microsoft-com as untrusted and for some reason it didn't appear in the dropdown script list initially.  Once I found it and put it as temp-trusted, the embeds show up now.  I remember another "script" (amazonaws) that I had to allow after that big forum change/upgrade to make another feature here work.  Strange it didn't seem to work before I installed noscript earlier, tho.  Well, whatever, pc's are weird, seems to work now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

20 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Suicide Squid 2. I actually liked it more than the first one but it's missing that Will Smith charm. My wife and my cousin and her dude all didn't like it nearly as much.

in general we liked two far more than one. however, we had a curious quibble: mass murderers repeated stating that hurting kids were the proverbial bridge too far. at least three times in a movie with almost constant bloody and indiscriminate mayhem, villains felt the need to announce that they weren't gonna engage or condone acts o' violence against children. felt forced.

also, while we chuckled more than once at stallone's gr00t, the similarity to guardians were unnecessary and a bit distracting, and that were the biggest issue we had. king shark were a bloodier version o' gr00t and suicide 2 as a movie felt like it were constant challenging us to deny that suicide were something other than a bloodier guardians film with a bit more profanity. such an observation is unfortunate 'cause we liked so many suicide 2 characters and they deserved better than to be compared to guardians characters.

HA! Good Fun!

ps perhaps a bit different than shady, we didn't find our self measuring suicide 2 against suicide 1, with the exception o' idris elba's bloodsport. seemed kinda obvious the writers/director initial wanted to bring back deadshot, but found a more obscure dc version o' nominal the same character to replace him at some point.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I liked Suicide Squad 2 (nice call-out to rec.arts.comics Shady, whether intentional or not). But then I liked the first one even if it was a narrative mess.

My issue with the film?

Amanda Waller is forever wary of threats to the US. Given her knowledge of Project Starfish, she probably knew what Starro was able to do. She had a team on the ground, there was no real reason for her to want to bring the team home at that moment rather than send them against Starro. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

30 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I liked Suicide Squad 2 (nice call-out to rec.arts.comics Shady, whether intentional or not). But then I liked the first one even if it was a narrative mess.

My issue with the film?

Hide contents

Amanda Waller is forever wary of threats to the US. Given her knowledge of Project Starfish, she probably knew what Starro was able to do. She had a team on the ground, there was no real reason for her to want to bring the team home at that moment rather than send them against Starro. 

Spoiler

have your team o' sooper criminals, folks who would quick be identified as s'posed occupants o' american detention facilities, showing up to fight a kaiju in a foreign country during a revolution is not the kinda exposure we believe waller would want or accept. our counter criticism if am concerned 'bout plausibility is that in all likelihood as soon as the situation had even the potential o' becoming a worldwide mass media event, waller woulda' instant blown the heads off the entire team and called the situation a wash.

gotta recall this is a world with superman and wonder woman. fight kaiju in corto maltese (nothing good happens in corto maltese) is exact the kinda thing those heroes take care o'. waller were only interested in limiting US exposure so having multiple belle reve inmates fighting starro as soon as it got loose in a foreign country woulda brought unwanted international attention. truth is the fact the movie glossed over the impact o' video footage o' bloodsport fighting kaiju were near tops o' our list o' the implausible, but...

is a freaking sooper hero movie equivalent o' the dirty dozen which itself faced criticisms regarding plausibility, so add in james gunn directing and our willingness to embrace the implausible were set to max for the duration o' our viewing.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't think I detest any film more than I do the first Suicide Squad. So much money, and so little to show for it. Insultingly bad in so many ways.

This one was better, but it wasn't quite as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Maybe I'm a negative nancy but I felt like many of the jokes were missing the mark, the music was forgettable, and I never cared much about any of the characters. For this type of film to work it needs to be really funny, and it just....wasn't. They also criminally underused Peter Capaldi, one of the funniest angry men in film/tv if you give him the chance. I'll give it a 6/10 overall, and that's being kind.

At this stage, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn is always worth the price of admission. I'd put her next to Hugh Jackman as the ultimate embodiment of a comic book character. 

Stallone as King Shark is better than Vin Diesel as Groot.

I also saw The Suicide Squad. Super heroes villains that say ****, the movie.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:
  Hide contents

have your team o' sooper criminals, folks who would quick be identified as s'posed occupants o' american detention facilities, showing up to fight a kaiju in a foreign country during a revolution is not the kinda exposure we believe waller would want or accept. our counter criticism if am concerned 'bout plausibility is that in all likelihood as soon as the situation had even the potential o' becoming a worldwide mass media event, waller woulda' instant blown the heads off the entire team and called the situation a wash.

gotta recall this is a world with superman and wonder woman. fight kaiju in corto maltese (nothing good happens in corto maltese) is exact the kinda thing those heroes take care o'. waller were only interested in limiting US exposure so having multiple belle reve inmates fighting starro as soon as it got loose in a foreign country woulda brought unwanted international attention. truth is the fact the movie glossed over the impact o' video footage o' bloodsport fighting kaiju were near tops o' our list o' the implausible, but...

is a freaking sooper hero movie equivalent o' the dirty dozen which itself faced criticisms regarding plausibility, so add in james gunn directing and our willingness to embrace the implausible were set to max for the duration o' our viewing.

HA! Good Fun!

They were already on camera, and what happens if the Justice League go to Corto Maltese and they all get Starro-ed? Waller doesn't leave things to chance.

Given the number of times Super-Villains escape, that was always part of the deniability of Task Force X in the comics

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

TNG - Aquiel

Apparently no one in the production had seen THE THING.  Also, when quarantining people, the crew forgot that they needed to quarantine the dog (and possibly should have done the same for Riker and LaForge even though take over was unlikely in Riker's case as he'd never really been alone on the station).

1 hour ago, Amentep said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They were already on camera, and what happens if the Justice League go to Corto Maltese and they all get Starro-ed? Waller doesn't leave things to chance.

Given the number of times Super-Villains escape, that was always part of the deniability of Task Force X in the comics

Spoiler

we were talking reasonable and not a comic book excuse. multiple belle reve prisoners escape and they sudden pop up in corto maltese fighting a kaiju during a revolution? claim such is excused in comics is nowhere near same as reasonable or plausible. 

and be serious, if superman and wonder woman were to fail, then a motley crew o' d-listers and lunatics would not be waller's plan b. did she have a plan b? we gotta assume so. thirty years o' captivity no doubt gave waller and others some insight as to how to stop starro if it ever did get loose, and is doubtful that the resulting plan depended on harley quinn and an impossible rat swarm, and if that was plan b, then given the mortality rate o' the squad, you wouldn't have put them in harm's way earlier. international exposure risked with d-listers would not be a plan-b, not plan-c and likely not plan d. those wastes o' space were maybe up to the task o' destroying the facility and the evidence o' USA involvement, but if starro were to get loose, waller would need have something better planned for it to be reasonable.

but this is a freaking sooper hero movie with james gunn directing, so reasonable and plausible is out the window from the start. argue reasonable feels a bit silly, no?

HA! Good Fun!

I'm unfortunately influenced by the comic; this scenario has come up there and Waller isn't unwilling to let the team kill themselves against a bigger threat (she can always kill them later if needed). Then again, supervillains escaping is a genre expectation in the comics, so my expectations might not meet those of others.

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

HN* is back on so I'm going down that rabbit hole. :alien:

*Ancient Aliens

I also find myself watching these shows at times .....they do fascinate me and they always present such credible evidence but  then I wonder if you do your own research is it true and what do other people think about the reason for certain ancient examples ?

And I have  done that on several occasions where I feel compelled to pause the show and do about 30 minutes Internet research to assess of veracity of what they talking about it. And I always find other credible theories generally which is normal....yet it kind of ruins the experience of the show so I normally stop doing it in the future

But sometimes the examples of alien intervention has to be confirmed because of the significance of the suggestion, for example the idea that the pyramids were " definitely " built by aliens because it was impossible for man at the time to have created structures with such precision using the resources at the time 

This has been proven to be absolutely false, Egyptologists   have confirmed many times that the ancient Egyptians understood how to transfer blocks of stone and did understand the architecture that created the Pyramids so their is no mystery to " how the pyramids were created "  

Anyway no need to research these shows because it just destroys the fun side of what they saying 

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But sometimes the examples of alien intervention has to be confirmed because of the significance of the suggestion, for example the idea that the pyramids were " definitely " built by aliens because it was impossible for man at the time to have created structures with such precision using the resources at the time 

This is actually my least favorite thing about the show. Literally everything has be because aliens because people can't accomplish anything of note without alien intervention, influence, and guidance .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

5 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

This is actually my least favorite thing about the show. Literally everything has be because aliens because people can't accomplish anything of note without alien intervention, influence, and guidance .

So what you're saying is that the Aliens killed JFK and not Ted Cruz's dad?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

This has been proven to be absolutely false, Egyptologists   have confirmed many times that the ancient Egyptians understood how to transfer blocks of stone and did understand the architecture that created the Pyramids so their is no mystery to " how the pyramids were created " 

There is also the possibility that they didn't need to transfer blocks:

As for Stonehenge, maybe it was a one man job? Or at least much easier than it seems:

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

20 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Agreed, and this in turn leads to the show's personalities whining about how desperately we need our alien superiors to come back and save us from ourselves.

23 hours ago, ShadySands said:

It can be an interesting show, a way to discover quirky mythologies from around the world that you might never stumble on.

But my key annoyance is how they throw around "proof" instead of "hypothesis"...    But yes, it does feel at times that a lot of the key talking heads must have a massive inferiority complex about the human race in general.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."