Politics US Edition Volume II

Amentep

She'll probably outlive most of them...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

53 minutes ago, Gorth said:

The age gap is half a century so unless they're going Mr. House it's practically certain.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

50 minutes ago, Gorth said:

literal or politically?

in the past we would have observed aoc popularity would need eventual be supported by actual achievements, but such isn't the case in 2020 american politics. today, messaging and branding is more important. blame on republicans. blame on moderate democrats. heck, blame on the lincoln project. tangible success is unimportant as long as her message resonates with her base and there is a them to blame for failures.

sound familiar?

polarization means aoc can be successful, and so too may marjorie taylor greene.

brave new world.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is no such thing as trumpism

Our long national nightmare is over.

Can you see the latest class of insightful pundits furiously crafting the narrative? Listen closely and you can hear the whirring wheels of the spin doctors’ myth machine. If you squint, you can see them gathering the cattle excrement from which they will weave a blanket of bull**** out of whole cloth.

The Electoral College has finally voted, releasing mainstream Republicans from four years of bondage in MAGAland. They are now free to place the word “president” next to “elect” and return to the regular principles of conservatism, fiscal responsibility, states’ rights and family values. No longer will they be required to go along with Donald Trump’s fever dream of overturning the will of the people and subverting democracy.

According to the talking heads inside our television sets, for four years, Donald Trump changed the Republican Party into a cabal of cowardly acolytes who acceded to white nationalism, fearmongering and outright lies to hold on to his ever-dwindling power. They sat in silence as he tried to toss Black people’s votes. They refused to refute his lies. They averted their eyes as he demonized democracy.

When he is gone, Republicans will go back to hiding behind the florid pretense of patriotism and puritanical philosophy. They will wax poetic about the amber waves of grain and how we finally returned to our American values. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with preferring politicians who can mask the smell of their anti-democratic white nationalist feces-flinging versus an untrained, feral, dookie-throwing spider monkey.

But let’s stop pretending it’s not all the same bull****.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

11 hours ago, Gromnir said:

literal or politically?

in the past we would have observed aoc popularity would need eventual be supported by actual achievements, but such isn't the case in 2020 american politics. today, messaging and branding is more important. blame on republicans. blame on moderate democrats. heck, blame on the lincoln project. tangible success is unimportant as long as her message resonates with her base and there is a them to blame for failures.

sound familiar?

polarization means aoc can be successful, and so too may marjorie taylor greene.

brave new world.

HA! Good Fun!

US politics these days is a big shiny package with nothing in it. All butter no bread. I guess this was inevitable. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

57 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It’s not a con. Trump really thinks he won.

Is it sad or absurd. Or both.

How many SS guys will it take to pick him up, I wonder.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

It’s not a con. Trump really thinks he won.

Is it sad or absurd. Or both.

Another book for your list :)

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it looks like he put a talk together that addresses Trump

Edited by Achilles
  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The fine folks of California are halfway to recalling their governor. The petition for a recall election has passed 750,000 signatures. Newsom is one of the biggest corona lockdown hypocrites, but just one of many. While he shutting down and putting restaurants out of business in his own state telling his citizens they must stay home and wear masks he goes to a fancy birthday party of 600 people wearing no mask at a restaurant whose average meal costs more than the unemployment check of the people he’s put out of work. Hey one thing you have to love about California is they know how to dispose of troublesome governors.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Ah see, mainstream Democrats have it in their heads that respectable upper middle class/wealthy Republicans could never be bothered with Trump and that it was filthy working class people who elected him in some kind of joint Russian-Trump tower conspiracy.

This is truly would what they believe, I mean the aristocracies of old could not be prouder of what the American elite has evolved to.

And to get it out of the way, whilst Trump may have picked up a few disgruntled working class types under his banner, the number was not significant.  The interesting thing about mathematics is that when you're a small % right, you're 100% wrong.

8 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

The interesting thing about mathematics is that when you're a small % right, you're [100% - (small % right)] wrong.

Fixed that for you, mathematically speaking.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

52 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The fine folks of California are halfway to recalling their governor. The petition for a recall election has passed 750,000 signatures. Newsom is one of the biggest corona lockdown hypocrites, but just one of many. While he shutting down and putting restaurants out of business in his own state telling his citizens they must stay home and wear masks he goes to a fancy birthday party of 600 people wearing no mask at a restaurant whose average meal costs more than the unemployment check of the people he’s put out of work. Hey one thing you have to love about California is they know how to dispose of troublesome governors.

hypocrite? no question 'bout it. however, the recall petition, even if all the signatures is gathered, is a longshot effort. 

brianna kielar from cnn went down the list o' democrat hypocrites regarding covid-19 restrictions. not a short list and hardly comprehensive.

however, am always amazed at how gd will complete blow basic facts for no good reason whatsoever. the french laundry cannot accommodate 600 people. 60? maybe. hyperbole is thy middle name. the gavin newsom dinner party were a collection o' 'bout a dozen people. still bad. still hypocritical. not need the exaggeration to make a point.

aside, as we mentioned in another thread, the ca covid limits has been applied complete inequitable and with little consideration o' actual intercourse between counties. our neighbors recent went on a weekend trip to santa cruz in spite o' the new travel guidelines.... though admitted they would not have been able to do so this week as santa cruz predictable slipped into the highest tier o' threat level. idiots.

napa, where is french laundry, didn't have an indoor dining restriction at the time o' gavin newsom's dinner. to his credit, not much credit, newsom did not plead some kinda technical adherence to guidelines in his apology. the ca governor deserved to be lambasted and criticized.

the other day we were driving through wilton, ca to our local veterinarian and we saw a group o' folks pleading with motorists to stop and sign their gavin petition. the signature gathering effort were set-up in a parking lot adjacent to the local feed store. four or five clustered and maskless wingnuts sold trump/maga (and harley davidson) paraphernalia from same table they collected john han****s.  as you might imagine, we were not moved to sign.

curious, the feed store carries mazuri (purina) bear diet in bulk. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Newsome is certainly a hypocrite, and I agree with Grommie on the inequity across the counties, but California as a whole has still done pretty well over the course of the pandemic. I'd say the initial response was actually pretty solid across the board, local and state, while the recent stuff has been much more hit and miss. Still better than a good percentage of other states, though. So yeah, not ready to uproot our government quite yet. Particularly given how bad it went last time.

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

hypocrite? no question 'bout it. however, the recall petition, even if all the signatures is gathered, is a longshot effort. 

brianna kielar from cnn went down the list o' democrat hypocrites regarding covid-19 restrictions. not a short list and hardly comprehensive.

however, am always amazed at how gd will complete blow basic facts for no good reason whatsoever. the french laundry cannot accommodate 600 people. 60? maybe. hyperbole is thy middle name. the gavin newsom dinner party were a collection o' 'bout a dozen people. still bad. still hypocritical. not need the exaggeration to make a point.

aside, as we mentioned in another thread, the ca covid limits has been applied complete inequitable and with little consideration o' actual intercourse between counties. our neighbors recent went on a weekend trip to santa cruz in spite o' the new travel guidelines.... though admitted they would not have been able to do so this week as santa cruz predictable slipped into the highest tier o' threat level. idiots.

napa, where is french laundry, didn't have an indoor dining restriction at the time o' gavin newsom's dinner. to his credit, not much credit, newsom did not plead some kinda technical adherence to guidelines in his apology. the ca governor deserved to be lambasted and criticized.

the other day we were driving through wilton, ca to our local veterinarian and we saw a group o' folks pleading with motorists to stop and sign their gavin petition. the signature gathering effort were set-up in a parking lot adjacent to the local feed store. four or five clustered and maskless wingnuts sold trump/maga (and harley davidson) paraphernalia from same table they collected john han****s.  as you might imagine, we were not moved to sign.

curious, the feed store carries mazuri (purina) bear diet in bulk. 

HA! Good Fun!

I got the number off the news broadcast on POTUS Channel 124 SiriusXM. It was during the Michael Smerconish show this morning. I like his show. If the facts are incorrect either I misunderstood or they were reported incorrect by CBS radio Or a little of both. I assure you it was not intentional nor hyperbole.

Edit: It was over a dozen people from different households at the party with Newsom. Not 600. I either miss heard or misunderstood or ran two stories together in my head. Not intentional.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

My favorite hypocrisy so far came from the mayor of either Austin or San Antonio, I forget which. After admonishing his citizens not to travel he takes a private jet to Cabo. In fact one story had him making the announcement from Cabo. Most of these guys I bet it really chaps their ass to have to apologize. Who were the stinky plebeians to question what they do?

Thomas Sowell

20 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I got the number off the news broadcast on POTUS Channel 126 SiriusXM. It was during the Michael Smerconish show this morning. I like his show. If the facts are incorrect either I misunderstood or they were reported incorrect by AP. Or a little of both. I assure you it was not intentional nor hyperbole.

It'd probably be estimated number of people exposed- ie those who went to the party, plus their families and other close contacts. Media aren't particularly careful about explaining which numbers they use, and will use whichever makes their point better. Something like "The party caused exposure of 600 people" implies 600 people at the party directly; but may mean a lot less there, and include those with indirect exposure.

is possible gd conflated with another politician +covid-19 news story.

pompeo recent had a christmas party with +600 invitees.

70 rsvp'd.

24-36 actual attended.

pompeo is now in self quarantine as he were exposed to a covid positive personage during the party.

how many wh and trump inner circle has been infected at this point? when asked 'bout the disconnect 'tween their behaviors and cdc guidelines, the wh always says they has always encouraged folks to follow cdc guidelines and that they is aggressive 'bout testing.... which complete ignores how individuals such as trump, meadows and pompeo were ignoring actual following cdc guidelines.

converse, assuming some kinda media blunder or misleading info is both curious and suspect as is clear gd were the person incorrect 'bout the dinner party number. make up a reason why media could be wrong is no better than make up the 600 number itself. 

edit to avoid double:

HA! Good Fun!

ps republicans in georgia lost a couple cases today. were runoff and not presidential election at issue.

one case were relating to drop boxes for ballots (gop wanted less) and the other were party observers during signature verification (gop wanted more). 

amusing part were where the lawyers for perdue and loeffler felt it need be stated unequivocal that they were not rudy giulianni, sydney powell or lin wood.

Edited by Gromnir

Heja Sverige!!

Why Are Americans So Distrustful of Each Other? - WSJ

Hint: Politics. Political leaders (one in particular but no one has a monopoly on this) falsely convincing folks political opponents are literal enemies and all the societal institutions (sports, media, schools, churches, stores, etc) that we all rely on are actual combatants in a culture war being waged against one group or another. And based on some of the comments coming from incoming Biden Admin people Biden's call for unity runs only one way. So don't expect any improvements. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

10 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Why Are Americans So Distrustful of Each Other? - WSJ

Hint: Politics. Political leaders (one in particular but no one has a monopoly on this) falsely convincing folks political opponents are literal enemies and all the societal institutions (sports, media, schools, churches, stores, etc) that we all rely on are actual combatants in a culture war being waged against one group or another. And based on some of the comments coming from incoming Biden Admin people Biden's call for unity runs only one way. So don't expect any improvements. 

That article is behind a paywall, unfortunately.

Heja Sverige!!

Sorry, I keep forgetting WSJ is blocked. I have a subscription.

Thomas Sowell

Just now, Guard Dog said:

Sorry, I keep forgetting WSJ is blocked. I have a subscription.

Apparently using the simple reader view in Firefox allows one to partially bypass the block.

Anyway, the article says "Social science research has found that three important factors behind a country’s level of social trust are corruption, ethnic segregation and economic inequality." This makes sense to me, as such a decline surely is down to systemic issues and not due to the more or less recent actions of specific actors.

Heja Sverige!!

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

13 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Anyway, the article says "Social science research has found that three important factors behind a country’s level of social trust are corruption, ethnic segregation and economic inequality." This makes sense to me, as such a decline surely is down to systemic issues and not due to the more or less recent actions of specific actors.

Perhaps the article links to the research it references, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.