The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

Yup, that's Evangelion, but on following watchthroughs I personally liked it more. Shinji is the original emo kid that is going through puberty. The only thing I never understood was why at the end Asuka says "how disgusting", the most popular theory her becoming aware of what Shinji did while she was in the hospital.

Now you have to watch the Rebuild of Evangelion for further mind****ery.

If you're familiar with some aspects of Jewish mysticism some things make more sense, but in general it's a show that's good to come back to because you pick up more stuff you would have normally skipped. I'm pretty sure Asuka was aware of what Shinji did, but on the other hand waking up to find the only person alive is Shinji is probably a big downer.

Of course the biggest mind**** is the Shave Impact, which is definitely canon.

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Probably not - I'm picky enough about art styles and characters and...most everything else that I'm probably unlikely to adventure too far from picking and choosing particular stuff from the "consensus" great stuff. The only other three anime shows (not movies) I really have any kind of interest at this point, and I've looked into lists of a couple hundred at this point, are Cowboy Bebop (which I don't expect to particularly like especially after hearing a comparison of it to Firefly), Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon), and...maybe One Punch Man (which I also think there's a high probability I won't like due to it being male action-y/superhero-y, but which I've been recommended repeatedly over the years). We'll see what happens.

Cowboy Bebop is similar to Firefly in that it's got a similar setting, but it's lacking the Whedon stuff of Firefly which is a good thing. Paranoia Agent is really good and should be given a go. One Punch Man is different from most superhero stuff because there's no real sense of danger, it's almost slice of life territory but the life is a depressed guy who isn't satisfied because everything is too easy.

Personally I'd recommend Devilman Crybaby as it's short and avoids some of the more silly stuff you find in anime while still being bat**** crazy. If you liked Sailor Moon's ludicrous nonsense, you may like JoJo as well but it's umm....very flamboyant and really likes killing animals. There's also the 90's Berserk but it ends abruptly in one hell of a downer and the manga will never be finished so you won't get a conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's a relief for Cowboy Bebop. I've tried to like Firefly a number of times, but there's just something...unlikable about the series for me.

Ooh, that actually sounds good for One Punch Man and increases my interest in it. I knew there were...odd things about it that made it different, but I didn't remember the specifics.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure...okay, so I'll be the first to admit that one of the biggest problems I have with anime (and media in general) is that I'm really, really particular about art styles. I don't know why I'm so fussy about it, but it unfortunately plays a huge part in the way I perceive games, shows, movies, and stuff. And so the biggest problem with me even wanting to give Jojo a try is, oh my lord, that is one of the ugliest 2D anime styles I've ever seen in my entire life, I don't know if I can hack it. Sailor Moon just about hit the mark perfectly for me for art style with its particular aesthetic (especially as minimalistic as it was - and whatever couple of things I didn't like, mostly character design stuff, I got over pretty quickly and grew to appreciate because I liked the rest of the show so much). It's a way in which I am unfortunately shallow - it's a big part of why I am like 99.9% uninterested in triple A gaming right now, because I find the current 3D art styles to be horrifically ugly and off-putting, and I just...can't do it. Cartoons are no exception to this, and is a big part of why I'll probably never be *that* into anime. So Jojo is one that, okay, I'll eventually give it a try, but I am certainly in no hurry to do so because of a number of factors that I know are going to make it so difficult for me to get into it.

Devilman Crybaby looks freaking weird, my man...but being short and sweet is always a huge plus for me and makes it easier to give it a chance, so I'll put it on the list.

(e): "on the other hand waking up to find the only person alive is Shinji is probably a big downer" she's the one that should've been strangling him smh

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I never connected Cowboy Bebop with Firefly. Actually it's the first time now I even read about such a comparison.

One-Punch Man was really good. I expected nothing from it, but it felt so fresh and new because it tries to subvert the genres. I don't regret spending the time on watching it.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

That entire sequence was, uh, weird. I wasn't sure if I was going to watch Rebuild of Evangelion (something about remaking a series like this always seems unnecessary and weird to me), but I'll definitely wait until it's all out before deciding.

The jury is still out on if it's a remake or continuation. The last part was supposed to come out in Japans theaters this year in June, but has since been delayed till January.

6 hours ago, KaineParker said:

If you're familiar with some aspects of Jewish mysticism some things make more sense, but in general it's a show that's good to come back to because you pick up more stuff you would have normally skipped. I'm pretty sure Asuka was aware of what Shinji did, but on the other hand waking up to find the only person alive is Shinji is probably a big downer.

Of course the biggest mind**** is the Shave Impact, which is definitely canon.

Here is the quote that circling the web (I copied this from Quora, but it's pretty similar to what I read before) "Anno didn’t like any of Yuko Miyamura’s line reads. So he said to her Miyamura, imagine that a man broke into your house at night, and while you’re asleep he masturbates over you. He could rape you, but he chooses to do this instead. He doesn’t touch you, but you’re somehow aware this happened. How does that make you feel? She replied with “disgusting”, apparently meaning that she would think she was disgusting as much as her hypothetical abuser was. Anno replied “I thought as much”, apparently with a disappointed tone in his voice, but they used the way Miyamura said “kimochi warui” in that conversation as the direction for the line." Also the direct translation isn't really disgusting but more along the lines of "bad feeling". There have been many different translations of it like “I feel sick”, "How pathetic”, “I feel like dying”...

Shave Impact, the Star Wars Christmas special of the Eve universe. 😄

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

I never connected Cowboy Bebop with Firefly. Actually it's the first time now I even read about such a comparison.

Cowboy Bebop is to Firefly what Ghost in the Shell is to Matrix, they both "inspired" the creators of their respective movies.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I loved One Punch Man. Mostly I found it hilarious.  If they ever make a full live-action version, these guys should be involved in it. :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

21 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's a relief for Cowboy Bebop. I've tried to like Firefly a number of times, but there's just something...unlikable about the series for me.

Ooh, that actually sounds good for One Punch Man and increases my interest in it. I knew there were...odd things about it that made it different, but I didn't remember the specifics.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure...okay, so I'll be the first to admit that one of the biggest problems I have with anime (and media in general) is that I'm really, really particular about art styles. I don't know why I'm so fussy about it, but it unfortunately plays a huge part in the way I perceive games, shows, movies, and stuff. And so the biggest problem with me even wanting to give Jojo a try is, oh my lord, that is one of the ugliest 2D anime styles I've ever seen in my entire life, I don't know if I can hack it. Sailor Moon just about hit the mark perfectly for me for art style with its particular aesthetic (especially as minimalistic as it was - and whatever couple of things I didn't like, mostly character design stuff, I got over pretty quickly and grew to appreciate because I liked the rest of the show so much). It's a way in which I am unfortunately shallow - it's a big part of why I am like 99.9% uninterested in triple A gaming right now, because I find the current 3D art styles to be horrifically ugly and off-putting, and I just...can't do it. Cartoons are no exception to this, and is a big part of why I'll probably never be *that* into anime. So Jojo is one that, okay, I'll eventually give it a try, but I am certainly in no hurry to do so because of a number of factors that I know are going to make it so difficult for me to get into it.

Devilman Crybaby looks freaking weird, my man...but being short and sweet is always a huge plus for me and makes it easier to give it a chance, so I'll put it on the list.

(e): "on the other hand waking up to find the only person alive is Shinji is probably a big downer" she's the one that should've been strangling him smh

Yeah I don't make the comparison of Cowboy Bebop to Firefly because I generally dislike things Whedon touches. It honestly holds up better than it did when I first watched it because it's basically about poor people trying to navigate the gig economy which happens to be relevant to these times.

I don't think JoJo has an artstyle, so much as every season does because each arc until Vento Aureo or Stone Ocean saw some tweaks in the manga until Araki hit what he wanted. I think all seasons look pretty good, but it is really boosted by a vibrant and dynamic color palate in a way that a lot of other anime (or triple A games) isn't. You can view each season separately because they're connected but not essential, so if you really don't like Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency or Stardust Crusaders you can jump ahead to Diamond is Unbreakable or Golden Wind.

Crybaby is freaking weird my dude. And Asuka should have strangled Shinji long before the end of the series.

15 hours ago, Sarex said:

Here is the quote that circling the web (I copied this from Quora, but it's pretty similar to what I read before) "Anno didn’t like any of Yuko Miyamura’s line reads. So he said to her Miyamura, imagine that a man broke into your house at night, and while you’re asleep he masturbates over you. He could rape you, but he chooses to do this instead. He doesn’t touch you, but you’re somehow aware this happened. How does that make you feel? She replied with “disgusting”, apparently meaning that she would think she was disgusting as much as her hypothetical abuser was. Anno replied “I thought as much”, apparently with a disappointed tone in his voice, but they used the way Miyamura said “kimochi warui” in that conversation as the direction for the line." Also the direct translation isn't really disgusting but more along the lines of "bad feeling". There have been many different translations of it like “I feel sick”, "How pathetic”, “I feel like dying”...

Shave Impact, the Star Wars Christmas special of the Eve universe. 😄

All of those fit with realizing Shinji is the only other person alive. And the Star Wars Christmas Special will be getting a Lego sequel, which is horrifying.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Devilman Crybaby was ... quite a thing. Didn't know exactly what to feel about it in the end. It certainly was not what I initially expected from it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Devilman Crybaby was ... quite a thing. Didn't know exactly what to feel about it in the end. It certainly was not what I initially expected from it.

I found the ending to be convoluted and unfitting. Kinda came out of nowhere.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

But did it really?

I mean, he never really "won" anything. It was failure upon failure until finally ... he simply never had a chance. I kinda wish there would be more, just to go a bit deeper or follow up the ending, but as far as I could find out, that's pretty much the end of the source material too and there is no more.

Edited by Lexx

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

But did it really?

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, he never really "won" anything. It was failure upon failure until finally ... he simply never had a chance. I kinda wish there would be more, just to go a bit deeper or follow up the ending, but as far as I could find out, that's pretty much the end of the source material too and there is no more.

I meant Ryo being the

literal Satan and actual angels showing up to cleanse the Earth more than Akira failing (and dying). Maybe I missed something in the prior episodes, but that felt sort of sudden and unconvincing. Like Head Six being an angel. Literally. Ugh.

I'm fine with humanity being wiped out, but if divine intervention was possible at any moment, why didn't it happen sooner? What was the point? Creating a closed loop of a sort as hinted at in the post credits scene?

Just watched the movie Motherless Brooklyn on Netflix. It was great, decent script based on a book, fantastic photography and lighting, and the actors and the music, almost stellar straight on through.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Reveal hidden contents

I meant Ryo being the

literal Satan and actual angels showing up to cleanse the Earth more than Akira failing (and dying). Maybe I missed something in the prior episodes, but that felt sort of sudden and unconvincing. Like Head Six being an angel. Literally. Ugh.

I'm fine with humanity being wiped out, but if divine intervention was possible at any moment, why didn't it happen sooner? What was the point? Creating a closed loop of a sort as hinted at in the post credits scene?

In Devilman, God really does hate Satan and trapped him in a loop to suffer eternally. God doesn't actually care enough about humans to save them, arguably he allows them to exist solely as a means to torment Satan.

Been re-watching some ST:TNG episodes. While there are many episodes (especially years later) that don't hold up very well imo, some of them are still so classic.

That said - man they sure did explain-talk a lot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished watching Hannibal. I'd seen a few episodes of the first two seasons on broadcast when it aired originally but none of the 3rd season at all. It was an interesting watch and I find it extremely difficult to credit that it got 3 seasons on mainstream US broadcast TV given how different it was to the more typical police/ hospital/ reality shows that dominate that medium.

It reminded me a lot of Legion: it's all very nicely shot, well acted and scripted, great use of musical motifs and the like but probably got a bit too stylised for its own good, they both had one or two contrived plot twists that relied on people acting massively out of character; and the relationship between Hannibal and Will is ultimately pretty similar to that between David Haller and Farouq except for the one very important detail.

Spoiler

Obviously, David out and out

hates Farouq in Legion while Will doesn't exactly hate Hannibal. To be honest though, Hannibal might as well have literally had Farouq's superpowers, the way he's portrayed he might as well be a Marvel style supervillain. But the problem with having a supervillain of that style in a mundane world is that they're massively and offputtingly over powered, and Hannibal is just too 'perfect' at being manipulative and only ever makes mistakes because he's bored and wants some interest in his life.

The most obvious contrivance was of course in the final episode, where for some reason Dr Bloom and Jack Crawford agree to transfer Hannibal, because Will says to (though getting Will involved at all was also contrived given the history involved). Neither would do that, even if the plan is to kill him 'escaping' at the end and catch/ kill Thorin at the same time. If they want him dead they could always Gideon him and have him 'fall down some stairs'. Sheesh, actually check his mail then you can stick some strychnine in his lip deliveries from the Red Dragon, but apparently you only x ray Hannibal's mail instead. Ultimately, the problem is that it's a TV series where you want to keep the main cast but have them under threat to generate the drama, and that means that you have to have ways to keep them interacting even if it doesn't make any real sense in context.

End of the day neither of the main characters is either sympathetic or empathetic. That's unsurprising for Hannibal of course, but Will comes across as fundamentally weak and not sympathetic as a result. If they wanted to have Hannibal and Will run off together that should have happened at the end of season 2.

I'd suspected that the series Prodigal Son was inspired by Hannibal in some way, and having seen both now it's a pretty direct inspiration.

Edited by Zoraptor

5 hours ago, KaineParker said:

Reveal hidden contents

In Devilman, God really does hate Satan and trapped him in a loop to suffer eternally. God doesn't actually care enough about humans to save them, arguably he allows them to exist solely as a means to torment Satan.

Curious, does that come up in the series and I missed it or is that meta knowledge from the source material?

And go me for finally making it into someone's signature. :p

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

Curious, does that come up in the series and I missed it or is that meta knowledge from the source material?

And go me for finally making it into someone's signature. :p

Explicitly it's meta knowledge, but it's heavily implied by the series.

It stuck out too much to not quote it somehow.

• Haha 1

Anyway, I of course also watched the new Discovry episode.

Anyone else find it odd that the Federation would leave a seed vault starship alone with a family of four somewhere months out of reach? That seems kind of silly even if the Burn has stranded it there. Which it most likely didn't, I mean, that family wasn't there for 120 years or however long ago the Burn was. Almost as silly as that ship having no way of detecting a coronal mass ejection or shields to prevent such an event from being problematic.

In (by now) time honored Discovery tradition Stamets, Tilly and Madam Irritable (eh, Commander Reno, I guess) treknobabble a bit about how one of the people on board was thrown out of phase while everyone else died. They come up with the idea that one of the vault ship's crew was currently in the process of beaming into the vault when he got showered with a nice helpful dose of beta radiation from the aforementioned CME. Yes, beta radiation, the thing that we know from junior high will not penetrate thin aluminium foil. Let alone an intact starship hull.

Oh, and Burnham got upgraded again. She can do it all. Whether it is being Spock's hitherto unbeknownst adoptive sister, a Federation commander and first officer, scientist, counsellor, part time doctor, all around arsehole, all around nice lady, all around nice lady with an authority problem and last but not least, the person who always reaches for the best in everyone. Cue tears.

Terrans from the mirror universe are all evil because it's in their genes. Georgiou promptly rejects that idea and says that she's one bad arse mofo because she wants to be. She's interviewed (well debriefed) by a not-at-all sinister looking person with an interest in Terrans from the mirror universe and fake glasses. Holy moly, such suspense. I wonder where this is going, surely nothing untoward happened during the interview there. Lol. :p

edit:

Admiral Levi Shur also confirms that the bad guys of the galaxy really are the "Andorian-Orion Syndicate", funny how the Federation and a couple of other Star Empires didn't survive the Burn, but a crime syndicate came out on top and apparently runs things now. Or at least has become Dune's Spacer Guild for the rest of the galaxy.

edit 2:

I'm going to call it now: The Burn was actually caused by someone from the mirror universe, or is in some way related to the mirrow universe "moving away" from the regular Trek 'verse. It kind of makes no sense to still seek revenge for what Kirk did a thousand years in the past, but hey, that never stopped Alex Kurtzman. It's the same guy that came up with the guy who brings a massively overpowered Romulan mining ship into the past by accident and then waits around to shoot at Spock instead of hauling his arse back to Romulus to warn them about the supernova that will threaten the galaxy and, dunno, maybe conquer their enemies with his hyper-advanced super miner that carries a weapon loadout that would make the Defiant blush. Geez.

Am I being too harsh on this tripe?

Edited by majestic

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Anyway, I of course also watched the new Discovry episode.

First episode of season 3 was the last chance I gave to Discovery. I only get annoyed while watching that show so why bother.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

1 hour ago, kirottu said:

First episode of season 3 was the last chance I gave to Discovery. I only get annoyed while watching that show so why bother.

Imagine Bob Picardo would read this out loud:

To complain about it later, of course... but I see your point.

Heh.

Heh, I already stopped after episode 1 of season 2.

Funny, because I kept watching other shows that became crap (like The Walking Dead), because they at least kept you engaged in some way. But Discovery and Picard felt just way too stupid.. or maybe it is because it hurts so much.