The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

20 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Sisko went with the Prophets but he can return at any time. Tomorrow or yesterday.

If it ends up anything like Picard, he'll be back and just fine. He will hang out with his bff Q, wonder if he was too harsh to Eddington and pray that baseball is no longer a thing.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Sad 1

sign.jpg

Rich brings up a good point when talking about The Next Phase there. You could tear that episode apart with nitpicks... just like the Discovery episodes. But it's in service of a good, fun story and a nice episode in a setting that usually makes sense and isn't stupid as hell and therefore the occasional conceptual problem gets a pass. That Ro or La Forge should not be able to breathe or could potentially just fall through the floor is true. Does it really matter? No. Is it distracting? No...

Is it distracting that Michael Burnham can fight an opponent twice her size in hand to hand combat being injured and win without breaking much of a sweat? Oh, why, it is. As is having a walking to the trading outpost montage when Book has personal transporters. Bah.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

12 hours ago, majestic said:

Oh, and a thousand years into the future nature has provided the 'Trek universe with an entirely new periodic table because Tilly scans for metals necessary to complete repairs and find many that she doesn't even know.

It's also pointless to point out that 'Trek had at least in part a tradition of sticking with accepted real life scientific principles beyond what was necessary to make the setting work (i.e. FTL, artificial gravity and polarity Treknobabble). Who cares at this point that the only way you'd get really new and astonishing stable elements on the periodic table is to entirely rearrange the laws of physics. Well maybe that's what happened to the dilithium. Bet the hippies didn't expect the Age of Aquarius to look like that, ey?

Honestly how hard is it to say that you've found compound materials or alloys you had no clue existed? Your high school physics so bad that the only thing you remember is the periodic table?

This actually made me feel pain. :banghead:

And yes, the repairing was critical, the entire ship started working again after they did it. But of course, the healthy people were required to clean blood in the next room.:facepalm:

sign.jpg

11 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

And yes, the repairing was critical, the entire ship started working again after they did it. But of course, the healthy people were required to clean blood in the next room.:facepalm:

That scene managed something very impressive. It took a joke that always makes me smile because I usually enjoy old, worn out jokes no matter how cliché they have become and made me facepalm. So Stamets is in the Jeffries tube, lying on the floor bleeding out while trying to fix the ship and Dr. Culber comes to them and he's supportive of his husband and says something like: "You need to fix this so I can get you out of there and kill you." 

Ha ha. Nah, that situation is way too dumb for that Hugh. Sorry.

Oh, and cleaning blood. Jesus. Engineering Lady talks about someone cleaning the floor and he says "I'm called Dean by the way" and she looks at him and goes "I already forgot that" and I figured... yeah, I already forgot your name or that you even were on the Discovery. I'll probably remember Dean.

Eh, I hope his name is Dean. Otherwise that would make my point fall on its nose a little bit. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Watching Monk with my partner. Currently at Season 6. Totally missed this when it first aired as we had cut able ties and were ordering DVDs to watch show prior to Streaming!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Watched Raised by Wolves.

3/4 of it was good, 1/4 of it was garbage. This whole religious stuff got tired in the end. Also suddenly it went from sci-fi to "magic," which also sucked.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

12 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Watching Monk with my partner. Currently at Season 6. Totally missed this when it first aired as we had cut able ties and were ordering DVDs to watch show prior to Streaming!

Liked that and Psych a lot, they were both on/came out around the same time on USA (the network). Ultimately, they are just silly detective shows of which there are about a billion of, but having good humor and non-totally contemptible characters and writing goes a long way, :).

Sailor Moon update: I'm halfway through the first season, it's unbelievably dumb, and I'm officially in love with it, :banana:. I didn't think the first anime show I loved would be...this, of all things. It's an absolutely hilarious and adorable show.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sailor Moon update: I'm halfway through the first season, it's unbelievably dumb, and I'm officially in love with it, :banana:. I didn't think the first anime show I loved would be...this, of all things. It's an absolutely hilarious and adorable show.

I'm really curious what you will think of the later seasons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Liked that and Psych a lot, they were both on/came out around the same time on USA (the network). Ultimately, they are just silly detective shows of which there are about a billion of, but having good humor and non-totally contemptible characters and writing goes a long way, :).

Thanks! I have not heard of Psych - I will look into that too, perhaps, after done with Monk.

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Try watching the English dubs by DiC  😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, majestic said:

I'm really curious what you will think of the later seasons.

How different are they from the first?

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

For "fun", I actually rewatched the first few episodes with the DIC dubs, because I realized that the funny clips I had seen from the show were actually from that original dub. Usagi herself is...okay, but almost literally every other character I heard was somewhere between poor and terrible. Special shout-out to Naru (...who is renamed to "Molly" in the DIC dub) whose weird, terrible, and fake-sounding southern drawl makes me want harm myself every time she talks, :p. The clips on YouTube that I'd seen of this dub were much later into the show, and I can only presume that they got a little better as time went on (and in fact, I'm pretty sure some of the voice actors must've changed entirely, as Usagi herself as well as Tuxedo Mask don't sound at all like what I heard of them).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

Ugh. As if the dub alone wouldn't be terrible enough they've really mangled the episodes. But it's hilarious to see the season one ending that originally was a two parter being just one episode. Heh.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

How different are they from the first?

They are a lot less, uhm, let's say childish than the first season, you won't be getting super silly episodes about Usagi trying to lose weight and the bad guys draining energy from teenage girls with an unhealthy body image. It will even take the occasional dip into darker territory once Sailor Saturn shows up. It does stay very Sailor Moon at its core, but the later seasons are noticably different from the first.

Like Harry Potter films when looking at the first two and then the third.

Plus I really want to know if you hate Chibiusa or not. :p

That's all I can say without spoiling too much.

Or, well, at the very least that is what I remember. It's been a while since I've watched the show but I started with season two and was really surprised at just how different the first season was when I caught a rerun. Ah, the joys of regular TV. Heh.

• Like 1

Except for the very few "serious mode" episodes I've seen so far, all of the premises of every episode have been absurd, but in a show where you have an evil cabal of alien supervillains attempting to corrupt and take over the world if not for a handful of teenage girls all living within one square mile of each other that the villains could easily avoid by just taking their plans slightly outside of that one square mile, it's really more about what silliness you can get out of those premises than what the premises themselves are, :p. That "lose weight" episode was probably my favorite early season 1 episode and was when I realized this show could be great, though.

One thing I really like so far is that there are literally no characters that I dislike or even feel particularly ambivalent towards. Every character has had their own kind of charm as well as niche to fill. That is an incredibly rare feeling for a show for me, and makes it so I've never been bored or annoyed when an episode suddenly pivots to or revolves around a particular character. Hoping that stays true, although from what you implied, it might not in later seasons!

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Ugh. As if the dub alone wouldn't be terrible enough they've really mangled the episodes. But it's hilarious to see the season one ending that originally was a two parter being just one episode. Heh.

Yeah reading about the changes they did is pretty funny.  I guess was par for the course for anime series brought to NA in early to mid 90s.  Should really re-watch the show subbed

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 10/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, Lexx said:

Watched Raised by Wolves.

3/4 of it was good, 1/4 of it was garbage. This whole religious stuff got tired in the end. Also suddenly it went from sci-fi to "magic," which also sucked.

Yes, it was getting worse near the end but then they decided to... make it even worse with the magic.

sign.jpg

I have a very good TV show to recommend, Ted Lasso. It's about an American football manager/coach coming to England for a football (soccer) manager/coach job. Give it a go.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Almost done with season 2 of Umbrella Academy and so far it's way better than season 1.

Really? What made it better for you?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Started The Haunting of Bly Manor. 

I find the fact actors from the previous Hill House series are in it - but playing completely different characters - rather distracting.  So far the show feels a lot more drama-y vs. scares and chills, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I'm not sure ... it feels like it's a good show that I should be liking more than I am (although not as good as, and somewhat different from Hill House) but it's not capturing my attention nearly as much.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm just finding it a lot more fun and a lot less frustrating

am knowing is a terrible analogy, but for us, umbrella academy season 1were more like justice league and umbrella season 2 were closer to guardians of the galaxy... well, with all the dad stuff, am s'posing were more like guardians of the galaxy 2.

heck, season 1 o' umbrella were even filmed darker-- more blue and grey. season 2 were far more sunny and silly than season one, and considering the ridiculous collection o' characters assembled, trying to be dead serious felt like a disconnect for season 1.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)