Politics 2020 - the gift that keeps giving

Amentep

21 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Hvis jeg nogensinde kommer til Danmark igen en dag, skal jeg nok invitere på dansk øl 

Edit: Of course, you would have to travel across øresund to get it 😛

Edit2: I actually had to google some danish web pages to cut and paste a few letters from the Danish alphabet. Javla Svenska! 😂

Jag hade varit ärad om det blev så, och jag hade bjudit tillbaka, kanske inte Svensk öl... jag vill inte förgifta någon! 😄

Edit; I'd make a point to take the boat and not walk over the ice, I don't want a mob of jubilant Danes chasing me with sticks ;)

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Jag hade varit ärad om det blev så, och jag hade bjudit tillbaka, kanske inte Svensk öl... jag vill inte förgifta någon! 😄

Hahaha, is all good mate.  I'm not familiar with Swedish beer :blush:

I grew up with Carlsberg and Tuborg 😇

Edit: And the beer we used to mock was German beer

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

14 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Hahaha, is all good mate.  I'm not familiar with Swedish beer :blush:

I grew up with Carlsberg and Tuborg 😇

That is basically all what we all drink here! Mariestads is the only exception.

I love me some Tuborg... :yes:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

19 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

I'll take some good Rum over that Eurojank 😛

It's not the right thread for it, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Compagne des Indes Trinidad TDL

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

It's not the right thread for it, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Compagne des Indes Trinidad TDL

I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion you guys from Scandinavia have had on culture and language,  especially the anecdotal stories and views between you and Gorthfuscious 

You know what I realized about  5 years ago  due to interaction on this forum? Anecdotal stories and real sentiment on the ground ( which is expressed through mediums like a forum )  sometimes give you more understanding of peoples views and aspirations than actual data analysis , media commentary and reporting and statistics. Dont misunderstand me, these previous points are absolutely critical in understand most things but sometimes these "accurate and scientific "  measures can miss certain underling realities and that makes correct political and economic policy occasionally well meaning but flawed

Anyway this discussion has been humorous and insightful but based on your actual lived experience and lived experience is important to understand the entire story behind a place, event or moment in history :thumbsup:

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

@BruceVC

Btw, this is only one of the aspects, from June (about data and privacy protection in US being lacking) 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53418898

https://www.politico.eu/article/facebook-privacy-data-us/

Thanks., I need to go through this properly before I can comment and or change my previous opinion 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In a bit of good news... sort of I guess. He and his fellow executives are getting off too easy imho

Rio Tinto chief Jean-Sebastien Jacques to quit over Aboriginal cave destruction

On Friday, the company said in a statement that "significant stakeholders have expressed concerns about executive accountability for the failings identified".
The board said Mr Jacques would remain as the chief executive until March, or until a successor was appointed.
Other senior executives, including the heads of the miner's iron ore and corporate relations divisions, will also leave the company at the end of the year.

Tl;dr; stakeholders in the company, from pension funds to the Church of England were *very* unhappy with the actions of the boss, his henchmen and the light slap on the wrist the company gave them. Sometimes a **** ton of negative PR can work a bit of wonder. I guess walking looks better on your CV than getting sacked ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54112991

Edit: In a perfect world, Australians would do the same and sack the pile of dung prime minister whose government gave the thing the thumbs up legally in the first place

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

In a bit of good news... sort of I guess. He and his fellow executives are getting off too easy imho

Rio Tinto chief Jean-Sebastien Jacques to quit over Aboriginal cave destruction

On Friday, the company said in a statement that "significant stakeholders have expressed concerns about executive accountability for the failings identified".
The board said Mr Jacques would remain as the chief executive until March, or until a successor was appointed.
Other senior executives, including the heads of the miner's iron ore and corporate relations divisions, will also leave the company at the end of the year.

Tl;dr; stakeholders in the company, from pension funds to the Church of England were *very* unhappy with the actions of the boss, his henchmen and the light slap on the wrist the company gave them. Sometimes a **** ton of negative PR can work a bit of wonder. I guess walking looks better on your CV than getting sacked ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54112991

Edit: In a perfect world, Australians would do the same and sack the pile of dung prime minister whose government gave the thing the thumbs up legally in the first place

This type of appalling corporate behavior is exactly what corporate image doesnt need ......it just reinforces the unfair, negative view that exists where citizens feel large private sector companies are corrupt and feel they are above the same laws and regulations that normal citizens have to adhere to

You seem to have  several issues with the general governance and accountability  of your business and public sector  in Oz Gorthfuscious which happens in every country but its  normally addressed when laws are enforced and people get successfully prosecuted.....but when no one ever ends up going to jail this increases the sense of impunity ...like the Oz banking scandal link you shared?

John Milton 

14 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

eem to have  several issues with the general governance and accountability  of your business and public sector  in Oz Gorthfuscious which happens in every country but its  normally addressed when laws are enforced and people get successfully prosecuted.....but when no one ever ends up going to jail this increases the sense of impunity ...like the Oz banking scandal link you shared?

I do. I mentioned in the past, part in jest part seriously that the governing Australian Liberal Party (ALP) is 100% owned by the mining industry and the fossil fuel industry, Only subject up for debate is which of the two owns more of the party. The banks have been running their own thing without any real oversight for decades, so they don't really count in that equation. The latter could use some summary execution of corporate "fat cats". Since Australia doesn't have the death penalty, life in prison would do for a number of them.

The party's latest idea is, in order to fight covid, they want to ban all internal borders so people can travel freely between states again. Not fair if only one state has all the covid. Could also be because Clive Palmer (a local billionaire and stakeholder in the ALP) said it was bad for his business (see above comment about who really rules Australia)

• Thanks 1

I have to admit that I haven't had time to read up on all the goings on in this thread.  This election is weird in that, unlike the previous two cycles, I don't have a good enough feel to make a bet. I guess I've already said that I would bet on Biden, and that means I'll stick with it unless some crazy crap goes on.  Still, while I'm willing to be called on it, I honestly don't think anyone knows.  Even if someone makes a great prediction, it amounts to guessing.  You can be right without actually knowing what you're talking about. Reminds me of Yeats.  "Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;/Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,/The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere/The ceremony of innocence is drowned;/The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity."  Funny.  At least I'm self-aware enough to question whether or not I'm the worst.  I suspect plenty of people here probably are the worst.  They're just too passionate to realize it.

I believe this is literally the most important election of our times.  There are no good choices.  There are only choices and it falls on us to make them.  I might not be as eloquent or erudite as some of the more vocal members here, but if you're sitting on the fence or thinking of making a 'protest' vote, remember that it falls on you to make a choice.  Not that any of us matter, right?  ...But, just in case, do the work.  You don't have to say anything.  Just do the work.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

28 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

I have to admit that I haven't had time to read up on all the goings on in this thread.  This election is weird in that, unlike the previous two cycles, I don't have a good enough feel to make a bet. I guess I've already said that I would bet on Biden, and that means I'll stick with it unless some crazy crap goes on.  Still, while I'm willing to be called on it, I honestly don't think anyone knows.  Even if someone makes a great prediction, it amounts to guessing.  You can be right without actually knowing what you're talking about. Reminds me of Yeats.  "Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;/Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,/The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere/The ceremony of innocence is drowned;/The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity."  Funny.  At least I'm self-aware enough to question whether or not I'm the worst.  I suspect plenty of people here probably are the worst.  They're just too passionate to realize it.

I believe this is literally the most important election of our times.  There are no good choices.  There are only choices and it falls on us to make them.  I might not be as eloquent or erudite as some of the more vocal members here, but if you're sitting on the fence or thinking of making a 'protest' vote, remember that it falls on you to make a choice.  Not that any of us matter, right?  ...But, just in case, do the work.  You don't have to say anything.  Just do the work.

Great post, I definitely dont think anyone can predict this election as both candidates have valid policies that resonate with the US voters on both sides of the left and right....its the undecided voters that will decide the election that interest  me and who knows what will truly sway there voting decision?

Oh also I think this election is important but not the most important election of the time.....dont certain politicians always say that about previous elections ?

John Milton 

You could argue it's the most important US presidential election taking place in 2020 😛

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You could argue it's the most important US presidential election taking place in 2020 😛

Its definitely the most important election when US citizens  have to chose between Biden or Trump as president 

No one can dispute that Gorthfuscious ...the fact is its also the only election in the history of US elections where people have this choice but thats not the point ;)

John Milton 

Got a chuckle out of this

119155262_2935801256706335_5062303977818

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Federal Spending Tops $6 Trillion for First Time; Deficit Tops $3 Trillion for First Time

BTW, this is NOT going to get better if/when Biden wins. Especially if the goddamned Democrats control Congress. They are going to go hog wild. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

If you are going to cross out "Republic for which it stands" for the Dems, you can cross it out for the Repubs as well.

https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/top-recipients

I didn't make it. Just laughed at it

Thomas Sowell

15 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Federal Spending Tops $6 Trillion for First Time; Deficit Tops $3 Trillion for First Time

BTW, this is NOT going to get better if/when Biden wins. Especially if the goddamned Democrats control Congress. They are going to go hog wild. 

I don't get why people are afraid of the deficit, it's to measure of how much US dollars are in circulation.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

1 hour ago, Orogun01 said:

I don't get why people are afraid of the deficit, it's to measure of how much US dollars are in circulation.

I'm inclined to agree.  It's not the deficit that's the problem it's the threat to the U.S. petrodollar as the worlds leading currency.  Once that get's significantly challenged by the ruble or the yen you can start fretting about the economy and muh consumerism.

And lol at anyone who thinks this election is important.  We have ONE political party and it doesn't care about you.

4 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

And lol at anyone who thinks this election is important.  We have ONE political party and it doesn't care about you.

I think that sentiment is what led to Trump being elected, he is seen as an outsider to politics. He definitively played to that when he promised to "drain the swamp"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Yes that's the problem with Trump, his supporters are attracted to him strictly out of sentiment rather than a realistic approach to "draining the swamp" (Impossible to do because he ran as a Republican).  I mean a lot of his supporters are really stupid there's no denying that.

However I'm pro-gun and Biden is repeating the Boomer mantra since the Clinton era of gun control so I guess I'll be sitting out this election, because there's no independents worth a damn.

34 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yes that's the problem with Trump, his supporters are attracted to him strictly out of sentiment rather than a realistic approach to "draining the swamp" (Impossible to do because he ran as a Republican).  I mean a lot of his supporters are really stupid there's no denying that.

However I'm pro-gun and Biden is repeating the Boomer mantra since the Clinton era of gun control so I guess I'll be sitting out this election, because there's no independents worth a damn.

Well to be fair his presidency was assaulted with a Russia collusion conspiracy, which saw a reduction in the number of firings. Which I think was its intended purpose because it would look as obstruction of the investigation.

Yeah, I don't see a lot of enthusiasm for Biden either where I live, seems like a lot of Trumpers in S. Florida. I just saw on the news the head of a Venezuelan restaurant, in Doral apologizing for Kamalah Harris unplanned visit. Seems like they don't want to be associated with her.

village_idiot.gif