Politics XXXVI (will catch up to superbowls soon)

Amentep

So last month we had local militia folk showing up armed to government buildings to protest wearing masks or whatever, and now we have local antifa folk showing up armed to parks to protest the police or whatever. What is the difference, again?

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

Man, in two weeks "antifa" has done more to fight the government than any supposedly freedom loving right-wing groups in their entire existence. I guess it shows that their belief in people being able to stop the government once it becomes tyrannical is bull**** or only applied to white guys running sex cults.

Why what great changes has Antifa been responsible for that aren't based on the obvious addressing of  the unlawful  profiling of African Americans, Antifa is not responsible for raising attention to  this

Antifa is in  many examples just the opposite of right wing violence, they have no legitimate place in any Democracy and Im almost surprised you think they have been effective in using violence constructively 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5423082

No one does, 2020 ain't even halfway and we've already seen a plague and an anti-state insurgency. Remember that we lost 8 years centuries ago with calendar changes and this year is the real 2012, maybe the Mayan doomsday was right after all.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"What is the difference, again? "

Did the first group kill or rob people en masse? The second group certainly did. Yet, the media vilified the first group and got them  all sorts of nasty names yet make excuses for the second.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They should rename Bragg if only for his being a terrible General.  Well, unless that was the joke.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No more names. Just numbers. New recruits? Take them to Camp 4. Going forward we memorialize no one. Because no matter who they were, good or bad, thry did/said/wrote/tweeted/thought/ something some nutless limp wristed candyass, or some self absorbed contrarian raging about wrongs done by other people to people other than him/her, or some perpetually angry and equally unattractive woman who hasn't realized the world does not revolve around her will at some future time take offense and we'll be right here again.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/08/18/cnns_angela_rye_washington_jefferson_statues_need_to_come_down.html

How very Robespierreian. F--k it take them down. Who even cares any more.

Time to start preparing to bug out I think. Or bug in in my case.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As usual, people overreach and ruin it for everyone.  The Confederate statues should go into a museum, always weird to commemorate the losers in a civil war and some of the statues weren't put up with good intentions.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lady-antebellum-changes-name-racist-origins/ - this was pretty funny, I didn't even know ante bellum had such connotations in the South.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

16 minutes ago, Malcador said:

As usual, people overreach and ruin it for everyone.  The Confederate statues should go into a museum, always weird to commemorate the losers in a civil war and some of the statues weren't put up with good intentions.

Exactly. They were put up fifty years after the war. And while they were not done to promote some fantasy "lost cause" narrative that is exactly what they ended up doing. They were put up as a big middle finger at the end of reconstruction and as a response to growing civil rights movements. 

I have said this before, the Confederacy is dead. Leave it lie. It should not be glorified nor should it be dug up and lynched. Doing either represents a serious ignorance of what it was and the times it existed in. 

Thomas Sowell

On 6/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, Guard Dog said:

You know if it were just you and I deciding the fate of the USA over a bottle of fine bourbon I'd give you this one. The second amendment will no longer apply to pistols, handguns under say 18". With an exception to muzzleloader/black powder because why not. IF.... IF I thought it would end there. If I really thought that would be the ;ast conversation that would ever be had about banning guns I'd concede pistols. But we both know it won't be because it (gun control) is not about crime, or safety, or police lives, and it never was. 

first, your response proves our point 'bout personal lens, so ty. second... no. you balk at what you recognize is beneficial change 'cause o' some imaginary threat to liberty? yes, as soon as there is another school or mass shooting, and the killer is wielding an ar-15, we will again need revisit gun control, albeit stoopidly as many folks will insist on mislabeling such weapons as automatic and/or a high-powered military weapon. 

so what?

is actual LESS gun control today than most o' US history. for a long time gun control were handled by having draconian restrictions on gun powder possession. later, virtual every western town had prohibitions on firearms w/i city limits, particular where law enforcement personnel were limited. changes and alterations to gun control law has, quixotic, led to more firearms freedom than the framers woulda'/coulda' possible imagined.

more recent, auto weapon ban didn't result in some kinda inexorable slide into the abyss, did it? 

yes, every time there is a mass shooting there will be cries for more gun control, just as has been the case for decades. so what? is more than a few western and civilized nations where gun ownership is almost reaching US per capita levels, but restrictions on handguns has resulted in relative tiny numbers o' gun related homicides. other nations didn't face some kinda liberty apocalypse by prohibiting handguns. heck, on the first page o' the coronavirus thread, our genesis post observed how state adopted covid-19 measures would lead to l00ny 2nd amendment freaks claiming such protections were just a first step in the government's move to come for their guns. folks are so predictable. somehow every government action may be viewed as a precursor to the State coming after their guns. am not gonna get sucked in by such silliness.

statistics uncontroverted show handguns gets owners killed far more often than they save lives o' owner or family. get rid o' handguns would make cops less jumpy. get rid o' handguns would decrease suicide rates, 'cause as we has pointed out previous, suicide is, god help us, an act o' convenience which may be serious curtailed simple by forcing the potential suicide to take another step towards the gaping maw o' oblivion. etc. 

and yeah, second amendment, as current read by Court, means handguns is here to stay. nevertheless, give up on a good idea 'cause o' the hoard o' hobgoblins gd imagines is not convincing.

oh, and am just fine with digging up and lynching the confederacy, but only if is done with full knowledge as 'posed to ignorance. is too easy to dismiss the south and southerners as a bunch o' ignorant monsters who ignored the humanity o' their fellow man and, for a variety o' reasons, fought a bloody conflict in part to maintain one o' the more vulgar and repugnant institutions devised by the human race. is a far more complex conflict than some kinda oversimplified binary choice o' good northerners and evil southerners. slavery is/was evil, but even Gromnir admits reducing the entire civil war to a good v. evil choice is foolishly oversimplified.

it is possible for brave and honourable people to fight and die for an unjust cause. the south suffered so terrible and yet they continued to fight. folks in new york and massachusetts were going on holiday and having picnics as if there were no war while thousands, black and white, were starving in south carolina. the war were very different for the north than it were for the south. failure to recognize the terrible sacrifices suffered by the south is one reason why northerners can't figure out why the losers o' the civil war remember the war different than yankees. 

tear down the statues erected during the 1920s and 50s? fine. burn even the memory o' the confederacy? is arguable Gromnir has done so more than once, at least in our heart.  even so, am bothered by the tidal loathing o' the confederacy, which ebbs and flows depending on otherwise remote related acts o' racial injustice. if the inspiration to tear down statues and raze the confederacy is an evil perpetrated in 2020 minneapolis, then am thinking folks need stop and reflect before indulging in their passions.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cops' biggest issue is racism vs blacks: 

(do not watch this if you are hardcore BLM supporter as you won't like what you see)

This mantra that there is some huge anti black racist conspiracy in Amerika is a joke that is not based on actual facts. This doesn't mean there isn't racism but it certainly isn't  so overhwelmingly everywhere.

As for 'white privledge'? What good is it if people can get fired for pointing out that while the officer is a piece of crap; Floyd isn't some angel. The guy stuck a gun into a pregnant woman's belly and beat her with it while he is and his buddies robbed.

Police need reform. No doubt about it but  the focus needs to be on the stuff that needs to be fixed not made up nonsense not based on actual facts.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

101769383_943616996091573_60448928774430

Thomas Sowell

Well, while Paw Patrol isn't Thomas & Friends or Caillou levels of horrible, it's still pretty bad.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

54 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

101769383_943616996091573_60448928774430

That is giving too much merit for people living 2020, considering that not only some people have always found cartoons characters offensive, but that cartoons have used as propaganda tools probably from invention of drawing and rulers have destroyed them and tried to prevent cartoonist to drawing them. 

am pretty sure more than a few folk has been offended by line drawings, animated or not, since the first cave paintings. we look at such drawings etched on stone walls and marvel, but that fat buffalo getting speared were just as likely to be a political cartoon with a fat chief standing in for the buffalo from the artist's pov.  just as many folks were likely offended when artist, at fat chief's direction, used the cave paintings to sell his "victories" to the people.

elerond got this one right 

oh, and if you saw some o' the old looney toons from the 1930s and weren't offended, we feel sorry for you and am recognizing why we still got so much room for improvement in this nation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Impulsively, I want to say 2020 is the year people lost their goddamned minds, but who am I kidding, that happened years ago.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

36 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Imagine drawing conclusions about someone from the degree to which they are offended by whatever.

As it was always on the Internet, forever shall it be.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Imagine drawing conclusions about someone from the degree to which they are offended by whatever.

not 100% certain what your personal pov is, but personal, we do this all the time.

example:

somebody gets apoplectic angry 'bout south park scientology jokes and we draw tentative conclusion the person is either a follower o' scientology, and/or is a person who will be offended by many o' our personal opinions 'bout scientology. depending on the nature o' our relationship, we will take the crude litmus test o' measured offense and decide whether or not to discuss scientology in the person's presence. 

reasonable and ordinary.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1