Chris Avellone Interview

I always thought Chris was a grim sounding fella with a certain thing for scantily clad harlots and violence. This here interview seems to be confirmation of such..... Look at how he hails his minions! Amazing, I can hear them nashing their teeth in the pits of fallout hell!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

PS2's need hardware modding, and you need a DVD burner to pirate.

The cost of a DVD burner is 99 euros.

I seen console games images for download and I suspect as I can download a PC game image I can also download a console game image.

The only console that iis "pirate free" is the gamecube since mini discs are a non standart storage medium.

Also a mod chip is noy illegal, it does violate the warranty but that just mean if its broken you have to pay for the repairs.

drakron.png

Once again, I'm not arguing whether it is possible or not to pirate a PS2 or X-Box game.

How many people own DVD Burners? Not many.

Thusly, it is inconvienent, or impossible for them to burn DVD's. And while I can buy a DVD burner for $80 US off newegg.com, most people will go down to BestBuy and see them for $250 and assume that's the going rate.

Regardless, there aren't many PS2 or X-Box mod chips out there either. People just haven't bought a whole lot of them, the way that PS1 mod chips were popular.

My point remains that if is fair easier, and far more common to pirate PC titles. Go do a few searches for popular PC titles on a Peer-to-Peer file sharing service. Tell me what you find. Now go and search for X-box titles on the same peer-to-peer network. Tell me what you find.

If people want to see more PC releases, they should voice their opinion with the almighty dollar (or euro).

With the size they take ...

SW:KotOR is what?

4-5 CDs?

That is about 2-3 weeks of downloading ...

Share programs are not the issue, the problem is the pirate market that takes a copy and burn it copies of it and it does console games as it does music

drakron.png

4-5 CDs?

Share programs are not the issue, the problem is the pirate market that takes a copy and burn it copies of it and it does console games as it does music

Speaking of which... why the &^%$$# couldn't they have put that on a single dvd ? :angry:

Farcry comes on dvd, UT2004 comes on dvd, you would think that a publisher like LA could figure out how to put files on a dvd too. Ah well, first thing I do when buying a new game, is to download the no-cd crack anyway ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ah well, first thing I do when buying a new game, is to download the no-cd crack anyway ;)

The strange thing is that this little act is actually illegal. You're not allowed to download no-cd cracks! But personally I do it too. I can't even imagine how it would be to be a games reviewer if I didn't have those cracks. It's bad enough as it is right now, with all the cd's lying everywhere, but if I also had to find each and everyone everytime I needed to start up a game to take a screenshot or check out some fact, it would kill me.

I recently started reviewing PS2-games too, and already the DVD's are stacking up around the console...

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ah well, first thing I do when buying a new game, is to download the no-cd crack anyway  ;)

The strange thing is that this little act is actually illegal. You're not allowed to download no-cd cracks! But personally I do it too. I can't even imagine how it would be to be a games reviewer if I didn't have those cracks. It's bad enough as it is right now, with all the cd's lying everywhere, but if I also had to find each and everyone everytime I needed to start up a game to take a screenshot or check out some fact, it would kill me.

I recently started reviewing PS2-games too, and already the DVD's are stacking up around the console...

Tell me about it.... Sometimes I use it as an incentive.... Oh I'll play X game because the CD is in.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I'm assuming that he read the major stuff like Zahn, and Anderson. Quite frankly, there are quite a few bad or mediocre Star Wars novels out there (Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy, etc).

Oh no, that's not bad. Bad is "The Glove of Vader" or whatever it's called. I've tried so hard to erase that book from my mind. :ph34r:

WW: Which is more unnerving, having to meeting Fallout fans expectations, or the wider audience of KOTOR expectations?

MCA: Fallout fan expectations. Star Wars fans are tame by comparison and use a lot less profanity. I'd hate to see the two groups of them get into a fight

I don't see the future of PC games, especially niche ones like RPGs, as being part of retard publisher's lineups.

Ummm, I dunno... kotor has sold alot of copys. And those who bought it will become RPG fans, and sooner or later those people will grow-up and/or become more sophisticated and demand more from RPGS. Just a matter of waiting realy, and also hoping that publishers grow up too, and stop bullying and walking over hard working developers and start giving respect to the people who are making their money!

Surely games cant stay in this state for much longer. I sense somthing is going to happen sooner rather than later.

But then again it's crazy how much money is going into alot of games. How can a game what has cost over 5 million to make be so shallow? What is it with spending insane amounts of cash on graphics? Graphics has become the selling point for every big budget game in existance.

Most of the time I still think highly detailed 2D graphics looks better than all this shiny and plastic looking 3D stuff out there. Whats with all the shiny stuff anyway? How much does it cost to make every god damn surface shiny? But saying that Warhammer 40000: dawn of war, looks nice, dark, grity and rich with little things just laying around so I guess state of the art graphics is catching up.

Umm, wtf am i talking about? nm, i'll stop here.

I hope so. It's not just piss poor RPGs either.

Max Payne 2: kick ass game, I was in love with it up until the end....and then it was over. Don't get me wrong, what was there was awesome, the GFX kicked ass even on a fairly low end PC, (don't get me wrong, GFX lend almost nothing to the game, but even someone who enjoys text based games just as much as Unreal had to appreciate the rag doll physics on those chairs. :) ) and the story was so awesome it played more like a GOOD movie, or a kick ass graphic novel than a game; but it was short as hell. The original one wasn't much longer either. :(

Beyond Good & Evil: best 'Adventure' (think Legend of Zelda) game ever IMHO. Had me caring about the characters in it more than KotOR. But it was over before the story seemed to play out to full fruition. Even XPlay said the only reason they didn't give it a five star rating was because just when they were leaning on the edge of their seats wondering what was going to happen next; it was over. Sure they hinted there'd be a sequel in the tiny bit of cinematics after the credits played....but why did it have to be so short? Even more racing or 'Pallet' minigames would have been welcome, those were FUN; and for those who played it, does anyone think Pallet would make an excellent quasi Air Hockey arcade game? :p

P.S. We're aiming to fix all of these problems in a certain 'mod' that shall remain unnamed, made and distributed by a certain non profit (so far) completely independent team I'm on, but more than likely, it's going to be an especially under the radar title as if it attracts too much attentoin there are certain legal implications. And yes, for the buggers who think voice overs are everything, it will have them; but it will also be enormous, have a kick ass story, and tons of character development. ;)

Speaking of which... why the &^%$$# couldn't they have put that on a single dvd ? :angry:

Farcry comes on dvd, UT2004 comes on dvd, you would think that a publisher like LA could figure out how to put files on a dvd too. Ah well, first thing I do when buying a new game, is to download the no-cd crack anyway :rolleyes:

Well from what I seen DVD drives are not considered "standart" yet.

That appears to be quite true in the US since the games we have in europe that come on DVD are released in the US in CDs.

Now add to the fact LucasArts itself have no distribution network in europe (most recent LucasArts PC titles in europe are handled by Activision) they really dont have much of a incentive to release PC games on DVD:

drakron.png

Actually as far as character creation, I would like to see better portraits. I noticed in the first game none of the portraits had the typical jedi hair (long hair, like Qui-Gon, or the younger Obi-Wan.). Also aside from the one portrait with the scar none of them had anything really that set them apart from the others. As far as the female portraits go most of them were ugly as hell. Most of them looked like either shaved apes or lesbians. <_<

4-5 CDs?

Farcry comes on dvd, UT2004 comes on dvd, you would think that a publisher like LA could figure out how to put files on a dvd too. Ah well, first thing I do when buying a new game, is to download the no-cd crack anyway :huh:

For what it's worth, I bought KOTOR on a DVD and played it on a DVD, in my X-Box.

After reading the interview, i couldn't help wondering on how the ending (both LS and DS) will be, considering Mr. Avellones hate for 'happy'-endings. Not that i mind a eerie, grim ending, but that's not a Star Wars ending, is it?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe Empire like,with or without the cliff hanger.

Yes, but TESB left with the cliffhanger, as you said. After playing a game for 40-50 hours and being left with a cliffhanger isn't a smart gamedesign choice IMHO.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy