Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)

213374U

I guess technically it could be considered a conspiracy but it's pretty much what happened last time as Zor pointed out. The party is allowed to try to tip the scales as it sees fit and while it might be unfair to Bernie such is life.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

As it should be.  Democrats should remain the staunchly centrist party, not the "progressive liberal" party that it was in the 1930's.  To me, Bernie just seems like the equivalent as someone running as a ghost of Abraham Lincoln in the 1932 Republican primary, how silly would that have been?

Neo-progressives are more libertarian than liberal, and that's how it should be for the foreseeable future.  I can't even read my Twitter feed because the meltdowns are so ridiculous.  I feel like I'm the only online person who has it figured out and it's kinda frustrating.

Feel Sanders would probably still lose to Trump, so guess screwed either way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not going to bother trying to predict anything anymore. I tried to explain how the delegate system works to my students today and I think I just made it worse. They now know less than they did at the start of the day. :wowey:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Oh yeah, I think we've got Trump again for the next however many years.

Lucky us. I suppose it could be worse. Not sure how... but somehow I guess.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Imho Biden would make a just as bad a president as Trump. Same level of incompetency. Trump hides his behind bravado and threats, Biden simply can't remember how things works.

Edit: In hindsight, maybe Biden would at least let competent people run the government and not sack them every time a subordinate shows glimmers of intelligence.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Can't say I agree with that. I think Biden would at least appoint better people and also actually listen to them.

This.... sorry, I was having my edit post open for too long 😇

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I think I've said it before, but two bad people for 4 years is preferable to one for 8 years.

In addition to what ShadySands said, this is also a good point. The same incompetency and/or corruption getting more and more entrenched is never a good thing: at the very least we can say we tried to throw the scumbags out, even if it turns out we just put more scumbags in. Then you throw them out the next time, too...and, you know, you'd hope that eventually someone half-decent eventually catches on in the primaries. Somehow though, it seems like we just keep cycling through incompetents or scumbags, if not both. Well, I voted for somebody I didn't think was a scumbag both this time and last, and I got multiple other people to do the same, so I can at least say I tried...I guess.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I don't really agree, I think a lot of bad stuff that happens is independent of who is currently head of state so long as they keep managing the same policies. Trump and his crew are a lot more brazenly ****ed up than a lot of past administrations but if Biden gets in there and starts doing the same thing with his friends then it's not a comfort that a different group is doing corrupt stuff that negatively impacts me.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I doubt Biden would do anything near the more ludicrous Trump feats; I doubt Biden could do some of Trump's more outlandish feats if he wanted to. No hotels so no currying favour by staying at them, it's unlikely that Biden's son in law (does he even have one?) is going to be appointed to write a middle east peace plan while financing illegal settlements for one party to that peace plan and being massively in debt to Mr Bone Saw; as obvious examples. With Biden it would be the same old ways of taking legalised bungs to protect special interests, but that is hardly equivalent to Trump. Which I guess is why Trump's pushing the Hunter Biden/ Berisma thing so strongly, since that would potentially be a lot closer to Trump's behaviour.

Funny thing is I actually rather like Joe Biden, but I have very little doubt he'll lose barring some major perturbation. He'd have been a better candidate than Hillary 4 years ago, and probably would have won then.

• Like 1

I think Zoraptor is right, except that I'm not sure Biden would lose a general.  As far as I'm concerned, a lot of non-pundits I see are simply better than the majority of the pundits in assessing the situation. Predictions before the elections prove these chumps wrong *a lot.*  Probably because we're not in a complete echo chamber.  I did *not* write off Biden in the bad old days of the early primary.  I don't know if I said this here, but I didn't think Biden could win the nomination.  I thought he was more viable as a candidate, but the fact is that he clearly has no place running for president.  Frankly, Biden is a terrible candidate in terms of mental acumen.  In terms of likeability, which is *considerably* important, Biden does have a distinct advantage.  On the other hand, Sanders could still win.  I think the fact that people are paying attention to his extreme positions over time will be his undoing.  Even then, the Democratic base might still put him over the top.  Heaven help us all.  Trump and Biden aren't revolutionary.  Sanders is probably our most revolutionary candidate in decades.  Certainly the most if we don't count doomed third party runs.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

I chuckle at the idea that a revolutionary candidate will actually be able to do anything revolutionary while in office. The executives powers still have limits, and every big move will be challenged heavily until it becomes a smaller move.

15 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I doubt Biden would do anything near the more ludicrous Trump feats; I doubt Biden could do some of Trump's more outlandish feats if he wanted to.

Yeah, I was talking about stuff like drone strikes or detention camps. Trump has set a bar that probably won't be beat in terms of what he's done for personal enrichment and nepotism, but that's less impactful than standard operating procedure of the US for a lot of people.

34 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I chuckle at the idea that a revolutionary candidate will actually be able to do anything revolutionary while in office. The executives powers still have limits, and every big move will be challenged heavily until it becomes a smaller move.

It's weird to call Bernie revolutionary. He's talking about reforming existing structures in the US to be in line with what other developed countries have, not about guillotines for ceos or whatever some folks seem to be screeching about.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

It's a beautiful system ain't it? Imagine a system that is DESIGNED to paralyze itself. It's a masterwork! 

Not being sarcastic.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Unfortunately it would probably take some kind of Civil War to update the system, as both ends of the spectrum would want it completely different.

I don't like Biden at all, he's about on par with John McCain on foreign policy, suffering from mad dementia, plus the alt right and the Hillbilly Democrats seem to like him so he can go to Hell.  He may even be worse than Trump.  At least Trump occaisionally tweets something that's contrary to "Official U.S. policy" and funny but Biden is like the robot corporate establishment shill.

So what I'm reading is... someone who had no reason to suspect she may be infected by SARS-CoV-2 talked to doctors. She was told that she shouldn't seek testing by at least two different people who are qualified to make that call, something she is not - obligatory reminder that medical degrees obtained in the University of Internet do not qualify one to self-diagnose or practice medicine. Common cold symptoms alone do not warrant testing.

Frustrated by the medical establishment, she took to Twatter instead, where her hysteria was echoed by other people with common cold symptoms, one of which is a ****ing Ph.D (!) who was later quarantined because she had actually had contact with a carrier and whose test results came up negative.

I think I'm... going to refrain from commenting further.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In 2002 the West Nile Virus was going to lead to a global pandemic. Two years later everyone was told to be afraid of SARS. In 2005 ot was the Bird Flu that will lead to human extinction. Four years later we were told to be scared of the Swine Flu. Ebola made everyone nervous in 2014 then in 2016 it was Zika. Now this. See a pattern here? This week the US Congress authorized $8.3B of our money to fight the Corona virus. The request and the plan in place only asked for $2.4B. What do you suppose will happen to the balance? It will disappear into thin air. Just like the other appropriations to keep us "safe" from the other s--t they whipped us into a frenzy over. 

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed. Hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins. All of them imaginary."  H.L Mencken

BTW, the US 10 Year Treasury fell to it's lowest yield yesterday. Lowest yield ever. The United States is $23.46T in debt and unfunded liabilities. The bonds are dropping in value because people think default is likely inevitable. Gold, which is really worth $800 is selling for $1674. Silver is worth $5 and is selling for $17. Bitcoin is worthless and it is selling for $9090. And here in the US we argue among ourselves over who gets to drive the car over the cliff. Because that is where it is going. 

If you guys have never listened to a thing I say, listen to me now. Get. Out. Of. Debt. If you are in get out. Do whatever you have to do. If you are out, don't go in. Don't make bug purchases. SAVE SOME MONEY. Do NOT buy bonds. If you do invest do so in things that are not tied to any one currency. Things that have value in and of themselves. Real estate is a good choice. It will never be worthless. Commodities are another.  

Every time I watch the news I feel the need to buy more ammunition and non-perishable food.

Thomas Sowell