The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

So I have a question for those who are going to watch the rest of season 3:

Do you think the fact that Discovery(ship) is now over 800 years old antique is going to play any meaningful part for the season? Like they having use every trick and even resort to underhanded means just to survive in space battles. Or is going to be just hand waved away.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

12 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

On the recommendation of a (younger) friend, I tried out an anime show called My Hero Academia some weeks back. I had looked at some of the character designs (and read about their personalities) in advance and thought, "hey, even though I pretty much universally hate anime shows, maybe this could actually be okay, these characters seem like they could be cool". I have since learned what the genre label "shonen" means and that it is unlikely that I would ever like anything in it, because that was one of the worst shows I've ever made myself watch a few hours of in a futile attempt to like it. It was despicably awful.

On the other hand, a different friend also coincidentally sent me a funny clip from some other, much older anime called Sailor Moon, and I thought it seemed hilariously stupid a la Dragon Ball (which, while I don't love, I at least can enjoy to a degree because of how silly but sort of likably dumb it is). I've watched a few episodes now, and I'm not going to lie: it not only delivered on how stupid I expected it to be, but actually vastly exceeded it. Big thumbs up from me, I'll almost definitely finish at least the first season.

Sailor Moon has a cult following. If you want to watch anime that is good, instead of just being a good anime, almost always it's going to be an anime movie. I would recommend Red Line and would also suggest to watch it on a big screen as it deserves it (it's 1.5 hours of pure action without it trying to be anything else and it has the silliness you like from Sailor Moon).

Apart from anything Hayao Miyazaki made I would also recommend movies like The Garden of Words,Your Name, 5cm per second. These movies take the anime format to new heights, as far as quality is concerned and the stories are pretty good.

If you want great stories that are gut-wrenching I would recommend A Silent Voice, Your Lie in April, Wolf Children.

Lastly if you want to see what inspired Firefly give Cowboy Bebop a go for some old anime action.

9 hours ago, kirottu said:

Do you think the fact that Discovery(ship) is now over 800 years old antique is going to play any meaningful part for the season? Like they having use every trick and even resort to underhanded means just to survive in space battles. Or is going to be just hand waved away.

It's either going to be destroyed or they are simply going to appear with an already upgraded ship.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 hours ago, majestic said:

I can't stress enough how dumb this is. This is so really, really, really, really, REALLY dumb that it hurts. Wow.

So what you're saying is that exactly nothing has changed.

/Edit: Your Name is probably the best anime movie that I ever watched.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, kirottu said:

About Star Trek Discovery season 3:

I don't disagree with anything majestic wrote. I think the main problem is the writers. They don't do either proper build-up for the scene or proper consequences for the scene, or both. Like in the very beginning Burnham crash lands on a planet and gets a serious injury. She has to Will herself to stand up through the pain. She has to Will herself to walk through the pain. And that's it. That injury plays no part in the rest of episode and definitely not in the very next fight scene.

Oh, right, I forgot about that particular piece of inanity. Michael's shown to be so heavily injured she can barely walk after coming down from an adrenaline high and then immediately proceeds to win in hand to hand combat against an opponent that is at least a full foot taller, has a lot more muscle mass and a good deal more reach than her. Because why not. And people complained about the Worf effect. The opposite ain't any better. 

And yes, the Romulans should have a working fleet, assuming they survived their inability to predict a supernova in some meaningful way in the 800 years between Star Trek Picard and Discovery Season 3.

If the shows are set in the same continuity, that is. I don't really know.

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

So what you're saying is that exactly nothing has changed.

No, but at least the continuity no longer matters. I'm kind of expecting this season to end with them preventing "The Burn" in some way.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I still haven't finished Picard. Started watching ep1 of Discovery season 2 but instantly felt that it's just more of the same. Really looks like these people killed Star Trek for me, I just can't get into this stuff anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Currently awaiting the release of season 5 of The Expanse. Some of the best sci-fi storytelling I have experienced recently via the medium. Other than that, may checkout The Man in the High Castle: anyone else watching it? Thoughts? Reviews?

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

14 hours ago, kirottu said:

If you think about almost any scene in that show for even a moment, it starts to break down.

STD in  a nutshell.

14 hours ago, kirottu said:

Being hand waived away implies an intention. I think the writers won't even notice it.

sign.jpg

3 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

STD in  a nutshell.

Being hand waived away implies an intention. I think the writers won't even notice it.

I'm looking forward to see what they do with season 3 of STD. I have also heard that season 4 has already been greenlit, which is hopeful and interesting.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

19 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

On the recommendation of a (younger) friend, I tried out an anime show called My Hero Academia some weeks back. I had looked at some of the character designs (and read about their personalities) in advance and thought, "hey, even though I pretty much universally hate anime shows, maybe this could actually be okay, these characters seem like they could be cool". I have since learned what the genre label "shonen" means and that it is unlikely that I would ever like anything in it, because that was one of the worst shows I've ever made myself watch a few hours of in a futile attempt to like it. It was despicably awful.

On the other hand, a different friend also coincidentally sent me a funny clip from some other, much older anime called Sailor Moon, and I thought it seemed hilariously stupid a la Dragon Ball (which, while I don't love, I at least can enjoy to a degree because of how silly but sort of likably dumb it is). I've watched a few episodes now, and I'm not going to lie: it not only delivered on how stupid I expected it to be, but actually vastly exceeded it. Big thumbs up from me, I'll almost definitely finish at least the first season.

My Hero Academia is kinda ****, as are all the Academia anime I've seen. If you enjoy silly and stupid anime, you should check out JoJo's Bizarre Adventure which is extremely stupid but in a good way in that it doesn't even bother taking itself seriously and is just 20 minutes burst of extremely weird ****.

14 hours ago, Sarex said:

Sailor Moon has a cult following. If you want to watch anime that is good, instead of just being a good anime, almost always it's going to be an anime movie. I would recommend Red Line and would also suggest to watch it on a big screen as it deserves it (it's 1.5 hours of pure action without it trying to be anything else and it has the silliness you like from Sailor Moon).

Apart from anything Hayao Miyazaki made I would also recommend movies like The Garden of Words,Your Name, 5cm per second. These movies take the anime format to new heights, as far as quality is concerned and the stories are pretty good.

If you want great stories that are gut-wrenching I would recommend A Silent Voice, Your Lie in April, Wolf Children.

Lastly if you want to see what inspired Firefly give Cowboy Bebop a go for some old anime action.

I will cosign this. I've really enjoyed everything directed by Masaaki Yuasa so checking him out is something I'd recommend. While not anime, there's an animated film called Away (2019) that was apparently made by one guy from Latvia that looks great and I've heard good things about.

I have never watched a the nu Star Trek and given how much everyone seems to hate it I don't think I will.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

14 hours ago, Sarex said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd heard of Your Name and had it bookmarked, but I've always had the feeling I may not care for it based on what I know and have seen of it. Still plan on giving it a try eventually, though. Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers are probably my favorite non-Ghibli anime movies that I've seen so far (and I've watched the rest of Satoshi Kon's films, but was super not into Paprika, and just thought Millennium Actress and Memories were decent).

Also planned on trying out Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but...also cases where I feel like, yes, they're beloved, but I still have the feeling that they probably won't be for me. I usually have a good intuitive feeling for these things, although anime has been harder for me to gauge than most other things so far. We'll see...eventually.

@KaineParker Good to know. The entire style of the show seemed like it was made for...like, autistic male children/young teens? That's not trying to be an insult, either - that's really what it feels like the target audience is, which, okay, fine, that's not me, I guess. Why is the main character having minute-long monologues in the middle of every action scene and conversation to explain how he's feeling every few minutes? Dear lord, not even literal children's cartoons usually resort to this much hand-holding - most humans have the ability to read expressions and have normal empathetic responses when you actually have a compelling story/character. Why does everything have to be screamed, yelled, or cried? Why do the characters themselves come across as low-functioning autistic, on top of having seemingly paper-thin characterization? Man, it was bad.

Will also eventually check out Jojo's.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The entire style of the show seemed like it was made for...like, autistic male children/young teens?

That's literally the definition of shonen lmao.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hey, I actually read up on the definition of shonen, and that's not literally the definition of shonen from what I saw...but uh, it may very well functionally be, haha. Definitely a genre I won't be revisiting in the future.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Shonen stuff is usually a lot of misses with the occasional hit, and such hits are usually subversions of the genre that don't manage to quite go outside the bounds. It's comparable to superhero stuff in that it's boring and predictable but somehow manages to take up an inordinate amount of space.

Oh, and Paranoia Agent is another good anime imo.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

That makes sense, and what a coinkydink, I also have almost absolutely zero interest in general superhero stuff either, :p.

I have Paranoia Agent already queued up, actually! Looks a bit different from the rest of Satoshi Kon's stuff, but I'm very interested in trying it out.

12 hours ago, majestic said:

No, but at least the continuity no longer matters.

I'm so glad I cut my losses early. I guess there's room for some pseudo-profound metaphorical commentary about the state of Trek writing and current times, and how ironic this is considering the writers' politics, but I'm perpetually tired so here's a silly gif instead:

tumblr_mdyd1cbIqU1rby04wo1_1280.gif

OT: I binge-watched Cobra Kai. Can't wait for S3.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

https://movieweb.com/the-lost-boys-frog-brothers-youtube-special/?

The-Lost-Boys-Frog-Brothers-Youtube-Spec

This Halloween, Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander, perhaps best known together as Edgar and Alan Frog, will suit up once again, returning for what is teased as a free special on Youtube. Corey Feldman isn't releasing all the details yet, but this should prove to be a fun Halloween treat for The Lost Boys fans who have been without a new movie for over a decade.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

12 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd heard of Your Name and had it bookmarked, but I've always had the feeling I may not care for it based on what I know and have seen of it. Still plan on giving it a try eventually, though. Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers are probably my favorite non-Ghibli anime movies that I've seen so far (and I've watched the rest of Satoshi Kon's films, but was super not into Paprika, and just thought Millennium Actress and Memories were decent).

Also planned on trying out Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but...also cases where I feel like, yes, they're beloved, but I still have the feeling that they probably won't be for me. I usually have a good intuitive feeling for these things, although anime has been harder for me to gauge than most other things so far. We'll see...eventually.

I would go for a Garden of Words, if you think Your Name is not your cup of tea. It's from the same studio and from what you wrote it would suit your tastes better.

I omitted Neon Genesis Evangelion on purpose, that one is...hmmm...how do I put this...a full on anime. The story is convoluted and beneath all the actions it deals with individuals and humanity as a whole, but it can really be a **** show. I like it, and would certainly put it in my top ten Anime, but I don't think I would recommend it to someone who is not in to Anime.

edit: Oh, also Ghost in the Shell (the movie not the tv show) if you want to see what inspired The Matrix.

12 hours ago, KaineParker said:

That's literally the definition of shonen lmao.

I don't know how to fell about this. Should I get tested? I like Bleach, I should probably get tested.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

I don't know how to fell about this. Should I get tested? I like Bleach, I should probably get tested.

Shonen covers wide ground, from Cyborg 009 to Fist of the North Star to Shadow Lady to Ranma 1/2. So odds are there's something that will appeal to you even if you don't like anything else.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

28 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Shonen covers wide ground, from Cyborg 009 to Fist of the North Star to Shadow Lady to Ranma 1/2. So odds are there's something that will appeal to you even if you don't like anything else.

Yup, I would say the worst shonen I probably like was Air Gear, but Oh! Great is, in my opinion, the best Artist in the business so he can make you forgive a lot story wise. Not to do a disservice to Miura Kentaro or Inoue Takehiko, but to me he edges them out, especially considering his consistency.

Nowadays I don't watch much anime apart from a movie that catches my eye now and then. I'm too lazy to look for an original series, and for the manga based anime I just read the manga.

Wait, they already planned for STD season 4?? Are there still so many fans left who watch it anyway, or am I wrong for thinking it's garbage? I don't understand how they can keep doing this crap that obviously doesn't get better anymore ....

8 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Wait, they already planned for STD season 4?? Are there still so many fans left who watch it anyway, or am I wrong for thinking it's garbage? I don't understand how they can keep doing this crap that obviously doesn't get better anymore ....

Probably found a new audience.

51 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Wait, really? There goes my idea of them hitting the reset button at the end of season 3.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

discovery s03e01 still filled with the same scifi nonsense words that maybe someone watched all other show in the same setting will understand

awful shaky cam for no reason even though some of the scenes are actually pretty good for tv shows

unlikely to continue watching

tried to start watching startrek tv shows many times

so far only success was lower deck

6 hours ago, Sarex said:

Probably, though at least it's not Naruto. Really just like what you like, we're on a videogame forum with big fans of PS:T so liking some shonen anime isn't the worst thing you can do around these parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

Probably, though at least it's not Naruto. Really just like what you like, we're on a videogame forum with big fans of PS:T so liking some shonen anime isn't the worst thing you can do around these parts.

Now ain't that the truth.