Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

nfl 2019-2020

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7719 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

with another sb in the books, it is time to consider the upcoming draft.

last year we predicted saquon barkley and quenton nelson as two surefire future all-pros.  we also were not convinced any o' the top qbs were franchise material.  baker mayfield looks to be proving us wrong, but time will tell.

this year...

hmmm.

am not as certain o' all-pro status as we were with barkley and nelson, but he looks like a surefire top-three pick and is our choice for best player available in the draft.

am also gonna point out the other de allen.  

josh allen is gonna get all the attention, but am thinking zach allen is much underrated.  zach has great pass rushing skills and instincts, but he is also one o' the better 2019 dl prospects 'gainst the run.  possible late first or early second round steal.  he may not generate best rookie sack totals, but he will be a guy who could stay on the field for every snap as a rookie.  

in any event, am now looking forward to another draft and a new nfl season.

HA! Good Fun!

• Mannock, Ridgemed, Brantot and 1 other like this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1754 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

unrelated to draft:

/r/bikinibottomtwitter: "It's no Superbowl, but they played this at the Dallas Stars hockey game": https://www.reddit.c...ed_this_at_the/

this stupid dumb thing is all I wanted, but no

there's precious few joys in life left except children's cartoons, folks, and the NFL will tease and lie to us but won't even let us have that anymore

Edited by Bartimaeus, 04 February 2019 - 03:13 PM.

• Hurlshot likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9073 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not a surprise that a regular hockey game is more exciting than the Superbowl.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5891 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Obviously not an official time, and it looked kinda slow, but its amazing to me that hes still got wheels like that at 32.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1754 posts

it's not even that they didn't really play it, it's that they said they were going to, and then they only played two seconds of it to then immediately jump to the worst hottest garbage in the world, on top of it being the lowest scoring super bowl in history and the evil empire winning once again

myv5dxi6tje21.jpg

9/11 was an inside job, etc.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quote for the Day I was somewhat amused by:  "This years Superbowl, both teams are playing like they know whoever wins will end up going to the White House."

• Mannock likes this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1171 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quote of the Day: "Screw this, I'm watching Netflix."

Mannock

Mannock

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
I love the whole draft deal. I know it's become a spectacle, but I love it all the same.

So, the draft class seems low on QBs but stacked with good edge rushers and D-line. Perfect for my Packers.

Trying to get my head around TE T.J. Hockenson. Some project him as the best TE and going in the first round, but I've seen him as low as in round 5 in some projections. Anyone have an opinion of him?

And by the way, do any of you have recomendations of sites, bloggers, youtubers, twitter accounts, etc. to follow whos specialty is the draft/draft prospects?

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7719 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I love the whole draft deal. I know it's become a spectacle, but I love it all the same.

So, the draft class seems low on QBs but stacked with good edge rushers and D-line. Perfect for my Packers.

Trying to get my head around TE T.J. Hockenson. Some project him as the best TE and going in the first round, but I've seen him as low as in round 5 in some projections. Anyone have an opinion of him?

And by the way, do any of you have recomendations of sites, bloggers, youtubers, twitter accounts, etc. to follow whos specialty is the draft/draft prospects?

thanks to mel kiper, draft prognostications became big business and analysis o' potential draft picks became paysite fodder.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/home

nfl is the obvious first source. keep in mind, mike mayock, who is now the gm for the raiders, were posting draft analysis at nfl.com only a few months past. is not as if mel kiper and todd mcshay from espn is gonna be offered a similar position anytime soon. is more than a couple quality contributors at nfl.com.

mike lombardi (not related to vince) worked in nfl player personnel for many years before doing tv and radio commentating jobs.  he contributes to bill simmons' new site, the ringer. to be honest, have never actual read lombardi stuff at the ringer, but will likely do so as the draft draws closer.

if you like lists, a quality free site with multiple contributing experts who do lists is walter football. is kinda a fugly site w/o any bells and whistles.  don't be dissuaded by the spartan layout o' the site. good free info.

pff twitter and pff is also worth a look.  much o' their content requires pay, but you will be able to get much for free if you loom 'round.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Mannock likes this

Mannock

Mannock

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

thanks to mel kiper, draft prognostications became big business and analysis o' potential draft picks became paysite fodder.

nfl is the obvious first source. keep in mind, mike mayock, who is now the gm for the raiders, were posting draft analysis at nfl.com only a few months past. is not as if mel kiper and todd mcshay from espn is gonna be offered a similar position anytime soon. is more than a couple quality contributors at nfl.com.

mike lombardi (not related to vince) worked in nfl player personnel for many years before doing tv and radio commentating jobs.  he contributes to bill simmons' new site, the ringer. to be honest, have never actual read lombardi stuff at the ringer, but will likely do so as the draft draws closer.

if you like lists, a quality free site with multiple contributing experts who do lists is walter football. is kinda a fugly site w/o any bells and whistles.  don't be dissuaded by the spartan layout o' the site. good free info.

pff twitter and pff is also worth a look.  much o' their content requires pay, but you will be able to get much for free if you loom 'round.  

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for the links. I will delve into those!

And regarding your original post, no Nick Bosa? He seems to be the prime edge rusher, and no 1 pick, on a lot of lists I've seen. Or you are wary of his injury?

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quote for the Day I was somewhat amused by:  "This years Superbowl, both teams are playing like they know whoever wins will end up going to the White House."

Many Patriots players are already saying they won't be going to the White House, but would like to meet President Obama. Oof!

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7719 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for the links. I will delve into those!

And regarding your original post, no Nick Bosa? He seems to be the prime edge rusher, and no 1 pick, on a lot of lists I've seen. Or you are wary of his injury?

am not saying nick will be a bad de in the nfl by failing to mention him as the top overall guy.  however, he is a smaller and slight slower version o' his brother.  joey has made one pro bowl in three years; looked fantastic in 2017 but he rare got the double-team treatment from offenses.  melvin ingram doesn't get the press outside of san diego, but he is the guy on the san diego dl getting the most attention from offenses. when 2017, 7th round pick issac rochelle filled in for an injured joey bosa this year, there wasn't much of a drop off in san diego productivity, particular as rochelle were actual superior in run support to bosa.

is not fair to compare nick to joey, but is kinda impossible not to. joey is a very good de.  nick looks like he could be almost as good as joey.  

on the other hand, quinnen williams looks like one o' the best interior dl prospects to come out o' the draft in the last +3 years.  

and yeah, the injury to nick bosa is a concern, albeit a minor one.

HA! Good Fun!

• Mannock likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1754 posts

Many Patriots players are already saying they won't be going to the White House, but would like to meet President Obama. Oof!

Didn't the NBA champs literally already do that this past year, too? They rejected the invitation, Trump "rescinded" it, then they did something with Obama.

• ShadySands likes this

Mannock

Mannock

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Who wouldn't want to go to the White house and get a free burger from Wendy's?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5891 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cowboys C Travis Frederick Provides Update on Recovery, 2019 Return.

Meh. Too bad they cant just jettison this never-to-be-the-same-again dead weight and recoup that 56M contract. The backup (Joe Loony) is fine and the money could be used elsewhere. Preferably on a new LT as Smith can no longer finish a season either. 

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7719 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

kareem hunt to the browns were curious. not simple the pr ramifications which makes the pairing o' browns and hunt odd, but rb didn't appear to be a serious need in any event.  chubb averaged 5.2 yds per carry in 9 starts last year and looked to be a nice rnd 2 pickup resulting in a legit workhorse rb for the browns. duke johnson also averaged 5.0 yds per carry as a change-o'-pace back.

am probable gonna take some heat for admitting we don't believe hunt deserves an auto ban-for-life 'cause o' the incident.  am not making excuse for hunt neither.  hitting a woman is generally frowned 'pon by society, but is less meaningful to us personal.  on the other hand, hit folks who cannot reasonable defend themselves offends our sensibilities. if kareem, a 200lb trained athlete, had struck some random teenage male who were mouthy and physical frail individual weighing ~100lbs, we would be no less disappointed with mr. hunt than when he struck the woman in the vid.  am only marginal caring what were said to hunt which got him so angry.  doesn't much matter to us as violence cannot be the appropriate response. and sure, we got a presumption o' relative helplessness when comparing men and women, but such is resulting from simple biological realities related to muscle mass and upper body strength.  regardless, while the brutality o' the ray rice video were particular disturbing, the kareem hunt vid didn't shock us to the same degree. kareem hunt's actions were, in our mind, deplorable, but not necessarily deserving o' career end. 

however, am not certain what mr. hunt has said or done to convince the browns he has earned redemption.  is not up to mr. hunt to prove to Gromnir he deserves another shot at a nfl career, but am hopeful there were more than a simple mea culpa and promise to do better.  some kinda successful completion o' anger management and perhaps continued enrollment in an aa program?  community service at a battered women's shelter? dunno. 

as an aside, am pretty sure we mentioned how we worked at a juvenile hall in the increasing distant past. we worked, for the most part, in the high security unit.  the "kids" in our unit were typical incarcerated awaiting trial for serious offenses including murders and particular heinous sexual crimes. 

am recalling an occasion when one resident threatened our sister.  we never shared personal details with residents, but is likely a fellow counselor mentioned something to either a resident or fellow counselor in earshot o' residents... musta' mentioned how we not only had a sister, but that she lived with us due to her medical issues.  regardless, this resident threatened our sister in graphic details am unwilling to repeat, and he suggested his fellow gang members "on the outs" would follow us home from work one night to find out where we lived, and then they would do unspeakable things to our sister once we were no longer present.  could tell he were not making an idle threat.  we knew from reading his file, such a threat were plausible.

is closest we have ever come to losing temper and physical assaulting somebody as a result o' anger.  am not counting consensual fights, which we were involved in far too frequent as a youth, but as an adult, have never hit anybody 'cause o' something said to us.  the juvenile hall incident were a close call.

am having shared the anecdote from our past to illustrate how we were sore tempted to resort to violence in response to verbal threats and provocation.   am understanding how is possible to hear words so antagonistic that a physical retort feels justified.  as such, am not complete unsympathetic to folks who indulge such whims in the heat o' the moment.  if we had beat on _______ after he threatened our sister, what punishment would we have deserved? should we have lost our job?  we were simultaneous going to law school at time, so if we struck the 6' 190 lb kid, should such a mistake on our part have resulted in the kinda stain which woulda' prevented us from being admitted to the bar?  would it have made a difference if the kid we hit had, instead o' being man-sized, were  5'7" and 140 lbs? am a smidge under 5'9", though when we played football, we were typical listed as 5'10" or even 5'11".  weighed +215 at the time we worked at the hall and were stronger (but slower) than we were in college when we were third strongest (bench+military+squat total) guy on a pac 10 team, regardless o' position.  as an adult with the kinda weight and strength advantage we possessed, were _______ functional defenseless? 

am recognizing a physical response to verbal or insignificant physical antagonism, is not always as a simple right v. wrong situation as we would wish it to be.  is not an excuse.  violence is not the right response to verbal provocation, period.  however, what is correct response to such a wrong is a "depends" kinda scenario. am not thinking nfl punishments for such transgressions is simple and obvious. is not a legal question neither. 

whatever.  

more important, giants might be the big story for the 2019 draft.  dolphins, broncos, redskins, jaguars and giants is teams most likely to choose a qb early in the draft.  unless something happens during workouts and combine, none o' the qb options got consensus franchise qb grades.  nevertheless, same as bears choosing trubisky a couple years ago, in 2019 some team (teams) is gonna trade up for a guy who got ify kinda projections insofar as ever being The Guy under center.  dwayne haskins, daniel jones, drew lock and kyler murray all got high potential to go in the first round, and am suspecting at least one o' those guys goes top 5.  giants pick 6.  does giants pay to move up to guarantee they get their firstest choice, and if so, how far? is giants content to sit and wait at 6 for whichever qb might be available?  does giants skip qb altogether and choose other needs if their first qb choice ain't available? etc. giants own the draft, right until one o' those other qb poor teams moves ahead o' the giants.

HA! Good Fun!

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"  is not up to mr. hunt to prove to Gromnir he deserves another shot at a nfl career "

No, it isn't. You have no say about his NFL career nor does he give a crap (nor should he) what you think of him .

As for what he did, violence is never the answer over mean words. PERIOD.

P.S. I believe in equality, and if a woman hits a man she should deal with the consequences.

I'm not the biggest guy (not smallest either) but if I go after another guy who is bigger than me nobody is gonna feel all that sorry for me if I get my ass handed to me. I would deserve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users