nfl 2019-2020

Gromnir

with another sb in the books, it is time to consider the upcoming draft.

last year we predicted saquon barkley and quenton nelson as two surefire future all-pros.  we also were not convinced any o' the top qbs were franchise material.  baker mayfield looks to be proving us wrong, but time will tell.

this year...

hmmm.

am not as certain o' all-pro status as we were with barkley and nelson, but he looks like a surefire top-three pick and is our choice for best player available in the draft.

am also gonna point out the other de allen.  

josh allen is gonna get all the attention, but am thinking zach allen is much underrated.  zach has great pass rushing skills and instincts, but he is also one o' the better 2019 dl prospects 'gainst the run.  possible late first or early second round steal.  he may not generate best rookie sack totals, but he will be a guy who could stay on the field for every snap as a rookie.  

in any event, am now looking forward to another draft and a new nfl season.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

unrelated to draft:

/r/bikinibottomtwitter: "It's no Superbowl, but they played this at the Dallas Stars hockey game": https://www.reddit.com/r/BikiniBottomTwitter/comments/amz9ej/its_no_superbowl_but_they_played_this_at_the/

this stupid dumb thing is all I wanted, but no

there's precious few joys in life left except children's cartoons, folks, and the NFL will tease and lie to us but won't even let us have that anymore

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

it's not even that they didn't really play it, it's that they said they were going to, and then they only played two seconds of it to then immediately jump to the worst hottest garbage in the world, on top of it being the lowest scoring super bowl in history and the evil empire winning once again

myv5dxi6tje21.jpg

9/11 was an inside job, etc.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Quote for the Day I was somewhat amused by:  "This years Superbowl, both teams are playing like they know whoever wins will end up going to the White House."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I love the whole draft deal. I know it's become a spectacle, but I love it all the same.

So, the draft class seems low on QBs but stacked with good edge rushers and D-line. Perfect for my Packers.

Trying to get my head around TE T.J. Hockenson. Some project him as the best TE and going in the first round, but I've seen him as low as in round 5 in some projections. Anyone have an opinion of him?

And by the way, do any of you have recomendations of sites, bloggers, youtubers, twitter accounts, etc. to follow whos specialty is the draft/draft prospects?

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I love the whole draft deal. I know it's become a spectacle, but I love it all the same.

So, the draft class seems low on QBs but stacked with good edge rushers and D-line. Perfect for my Packers.

Trying to get my head around TE T.J. Hockenson. Some project him as the best TE and going in the first round, but I've seen him as low as in round 5 in some projections. Anyone have an opinion of him?

And by the way, do any of you have recomendations of sites, bloggers, youtubers, twitter accounts, etc. to follow whos specialty is the draft/draft prospects?

thanks to mel kiper, draft prognostications became big business and analysis o' potential draft picks became paysite fodder.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/home

nfl is the obvious first source. keep in mind, mike mayock, who is now the gm for the raiders, were posting draft analysis at nfl.com only a few months past. is not as if mel kiper and todd mcshay from espn is gonna be offered a similar position anytime soon. is more than a couple quality contributors at nfl.com.

mike lombardi (not related to vince) worked in nfl player personnel for many years before doing tv and radio commentating jobs.  he contributes to bill simmons' new site, the ringer. to be honest, have never actual read lombardi stuff at the ringer, but will likely do so as the draft draws closer.

if you like lists, a quality free site with multiple contributing experts who do lists is walter football. is kinda a fugly site w/o any bells and whistles.  don't be dissuaded by the spartan layout o' the site. good free info.

pff twitter and pff is also worth a look.  much o' their content requires pay, but you will be able to get much for free if you loom 'round.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

thanks to mel kiper, draft prognostications became big business and analysis o' potential draft picks became paysite fodder.

nfl is the obvious first source. keep in mind, mike mayock, who is now the gm for the raiders, were posting draft analysis at nfl.com only a few months past. is not as if mel kiper and todd mcshay from espn is gonna be offered a similar position anytime soon. is more than a couple quality contributors at nfl.com.

mike lombardi (not related to vince) worked in nfl player personnel for many years before doing tv and radio commentating jobs.  he contributes to bill simmons' new site, the ringer. to be honest, have never actual read lombardi stuff at the ringer, but will likely do so as the draft draws closer.

if you like lists, a quality free site with multiple contributing experts who do lists is walter football. is kinda a fugly site w/o any bells and whistles.  don't be dissuaded by the spartan layout o' the site. good free info.

pff twitter and pff is also worth a look.  much o' their content requires pay, but you will be able to get much for free if you loom 'round.  

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for the links. I will delve into those!

And regarding your original post, no Nick Bosa? He seems to be the prime edge rusher, and no 1 pick, on a lot of lists I've seen. Or you are wary of his injury?

Quote for the Day I was somewhat amused by:  "This years Superbowl, both teams are playing like they know whoever wins will end up going to the White House."

Many Patriots players are already saying they won't be going to the White House, but would like to meet President Obama. Oof!

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for the links. I will delve into those!

And regarding your original post, no Nick Bosa? He seems to be the prime edge rusher, and no 1 pick, on a lot of lists I've seen. Or you are wary of his injury?

am not saying nick will be a bad de in the nfl by failing to mention him as the top overall guy.  however, he is a smaller and slight slower version o' his brother.  joey has made one pro bowl in three years; looked fantastic in 2017 but he rare got the double-team treatment from offenses.  melvin ingram doesn't get the press outside of san diego, but he is the guy on the san diego dl getting the most attention from offenses. when 2017, 7th round pick issac rochelle filled in for an injured joey bosa this year, there wasn't much of a drop off in san diego productivity, particular as rochelle were actual superior in run support to bosa.

is not fair to compare nick to joey, but is kinda impossible not to. joey is a very good de.  nick looks like he could be almost as good as joey.  

on the other hand, quinnen williams looks like one o' the best interior dl prospects to come out o' the draft in the last +3 years.  

and yeah, the injury to nick bosa is a concern, albeit a minor one.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Many Patriots players are already saying they won't be going to the White House, but would like to meet President Obama. Oof!

Didn't the NBA champs literally already do that this past year, too? They rejected the invitation, Trump "rescinded" it, then they did something with Obama.

• Like 1

Who wouldn't want to go to the White house and get a free burger from Wendy's?

Cowboys C Travis Frederick Provides Update on Recovery, 2019 Return.

Meh. Too bad they cant just jettison this never-to-be-the-same-again dead weight and recoup that 56M contract. The backup (Joe Loony) is fine and the money could be used elsewhere. Preferably on a new LT as Smith can no longer finish a season either. 

kareem hunt to the browns were curious. not simple the pr ramifications which makes the pairing o' browns and hunt odd, but rb didn't appear to be a serious need in any event.  chubb averaged 5.2 yds per carry in 9 starts last year and looked to be a nice rnd 2 pickup resulting in a legit workhorse rb for the browns. duke johnson also averaged 5.0 yds per carry as a change-o'-pace back.

am probable gonna take some heat for admitting we don't believe hunt deserves an auto ban-for-life 'cause o' the incident.  am not making excuse for hunt neither.  hitting a woman is generally frowned 'pon by society, but is less meaningful to us personal.  on the other hand, hit folks who cannot reasonable defend themselves offends our sensibilities. if kareem, a 200lb trained athlete, had struck some random teenage male who were mouthy and physical frail individual weighing ~100lbs, we would be no less disappointed with mr. hunt than when he struck the woman in the vid.  am only marginal caring what were said to hunt which got him so angry.  doesn't much matter to us as violence cannot be the appropriate response. and sure, we got a presumption o' relative helplessness when comparing men and women, but such is resulting from simple biological realities related to muscle mass and upper body strength.  regardless, while the brutality o' the ray rice video were particular disturbing, the kareem hunt vid didn't shock us to the same degree. kareem hunt's actions were, in our mind, deplorable, but not necessarily deserving o' career end. 

however, am not certain what mr. hunt has said or done to convince the browns he has earned redemption.  is not up to mr. hunt to prove to Gromnir he deserves another shot at a nfl career, but am hopeful there were more than a simple mea culpa and promise to do better.  some kinda successful completion o' anger management and perhaps continued enrollment in an aa program?  community service at a battered women's shelter? dunno. 

as an aside, am pretty sure we mentioned how we worked at a juvenile hall in the increasing distant past. we worked, for the most part, in the high security unit.  the "kids" in our unit were typical incarcerated awaiting trial for serious offenses including murders and particular heinous sexual crimes. 

am recalling an occasion when one resident threatened our sister.  we never shared personal details with residents, but is likely a fellow counselor mentioned something to either a resident or fellow counselor in earshot o' residents... musta' mentioned how we not only had a sister, but that she lived with us due to her medical issues.  regardless, this resident threatened our sister in graphic details am unwilling to repeat, and he suggested his fellow gang members "on the outs" would follow us home from work one night to find out where we lived, and then they would do unspeakable things to our sister once we were no longer present.  could tell he were not making an idle threat.  we knew from reading his file, such a threat were plausible.

is closest we have ever come to losing temper and physical assaulting somebody as a result o' anger.  am not counting consensual fights, which we were involved in far too frequent as a youth, but as an adult, have never hit anybody 'cause o' something said to us.  the juvenile hall incident were a close call.

am having shared the anecdote from our past to illustrate how we were sore tempted to resort to violence in response to verbal threats and provocation.   am understanding how is possible to hear words so antagonistic that a physical retort feels justified.  as such, am not complete unsympathetic to folks who indulge such whims in the heat o' the moment.  if we had beat on _______ after he threatened our sister, what punishment would we have deserved? should we have lost our job?  we were simultaneous going to law school at time, so if we struck the 6' 190 lb kid, should such a mistake on our part have resulted in the kinda stain which woulda' prevented us from being admitted to the bar?  would it have made a difference if the kid we hit had, instead o' being man-sized, were  5'7" and 140 lbs? am a smidge under 5'9", though when we played football, we were typical listed as 5'10" or even 5'11".  weighed +215 at the time we worked at the hall and were stronger (but slower) than we were in college when we were third strongest (bench+military+squat total) guy on a pac 10 team, regardless o' position.  as an adult with the kinda weight and strength advantage we possessed, were _______ functional defenseless? 

am recognizing a physical response to verbal or insignificant physical antagonism, is not always as a simple right v. wrong situation as we would wish it to be.  is not an excuse.  violence is not the right response to verbal provocation, period.  however, what is correct response to such a wrong is a "depends" kinda scenario. am not thinking nfl punishments for such transgressions is simple and obvious. is not a legal question neither. 

whatever.  

more important, giants might be the big story for the 2019 draft.  dolphins, broncos, redskins, jaguars and giants is teams most likely to choose a qb early in the draft.  unless something happens during workouts and combine, none o' the qb options got consensus franchise qb grades.  nevertheless, same as bears choosing trubisky a couple years ago, in 2019 some team (teams) is gonna trade up for a guy who got ify kinda projections insofar as ever being The Guy under center.  dwayne haskins, daniel jones, drew lock and kyler murray all got high potential to go in the first round, and am suspecting at least one o' those guys goes top 5.  giants pick 6.  does giants pay to move up to guarantee they get their firstest choice, and if so, how far? is giants content to sit and wait at 6 for whichever qb might be available?  does giants skip qb altogether and choose other needs if their first qb choice ain't available? etc. giants own the draft, right until one o' those other qb poor teams moves ahead o' the giants.

HA! Good Fun!

"  is not up to mr. hunt to prove to Gromnir he deserves another shot at a nfl career "

No, it isn't. You have no say about his NFL career nor does he give a crap (nor should he) what you think of him .

As for what he did, violence is never the answer over mean words. PERIOD.

P.S. I believe in equality, and if a woman hits a man she should deal with the consequences.

I'm not the biggest guy (not smallest either) but if I go after another guy who is bigger than me nobody is gonna feel all that sorry for me if I get my ass handed to me. I would deserve it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

so, did nfl or kaepernick win?  am curious how folks see the settlement.  

more relevant to 2019 football, we heard a weird rumour from a friend o' ours who were a scout for an nfl team up 'til a couple o' years past-- still has a few connections.  apparent, numerous nfl teams now serious believe the cardinals has decided to throw in the towel on rosen and is considering trading down in the draft to be selecting a qb.  were an earlier rumour the cardinals wanted kyler murray. regardless, in addition to dolphins, broncos, redskins, jaguars and giants, cardinals is now included by many in the list o' teams looking for a qb as early as round 1... with raiders and bengals getting a few mentions. 

HA! Good Fun! 

I'd give a slight nod to Kaepernick. He presumably got paid some amount of money as a result of the NFL either fearing losing the case or simply fear of it being dragged out and creating a big PR issue when they've already got other massive PR issues, and I think that's a win for him no matter which way you put it. The amount of money he got probably would hint at which scenario it was, but we're not privy to that. I would've preferred to see it dragged out, personally, and again, I don't know exactly what Kaepernick got out of it or whether his case had legitimacy to it, so that's why I'd only consider it a minor victory (at least in terms of his cause).

Edited by Bartimaeus

He won because his priority isn't clearly football it is showing how full of himself. He doesn't really give a crap about social justice or 'making things better'. Look at that deal he signed with a certain company that doesn't exactly havea sparkling reputation in terms of racial/social relations. :p And, his protest hasn't accomplished anything substantial outside of having everyone mudsling at each other.

As for football, if he was focused on football he'd likely have a job. He definitely has the skill for 'another shot'. That said, people forget that he had a NFL contract that HE opted out of. He no longer wanted to play in the NFL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

nevertheless, same as bears choosing trubisky a couple years ago, in 2019 some team (teams) is gonna trade up for a guy who got ify kinda projections insofar as ever being The Guy under center.  dwayne haskins, daniel jones, drew lock and kyler murray all got high potential to go in the first round, and am suspecting at least one o' those guys goes top 5.  giants pick 6.  does giants pay to move up to guarantee they get their firstest choice, and if so, how far? is giants content to sit and wait at 6 for whichever qb might be available?  does giants skip qb altogether and choose other needs if their first qb choice ain't available? etc. giants own the draft, right until one o' those other qb poor teams moves ahead o' the giants.

HA! Good Fun!

As I've said before, Giants shot themselves in the foot last year by not picking a QB. Last year was a good QB class and they were at #2, now it's a poor QB class and they are at #6. Which means they most likely will have to pay (trade up) to get a QB with worse projections than were available to them last year. The Giants were beyond stupid last year. Blows my mind.

As for Hunt and Kaepernick. The thing that is striking to me is that teams/owners talk about how all that matters is winning and that's why they give second chances to players who knocks people down right and left. But when it comes to a guy who all he did was to put a knee to the ground, suddenly winning isn't that important. They rather stick with Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez. It's racism.

Giants were smart. They drafted the best player in the draft. You should ALWAYS draft the best player available.

No you shouldn't because all positions doesn't have the same worth. The most important position on the field, without question or debate, is the QB and a running back isn't even second on that list. So if you're sitting at #2 with an aging QB who at best is average and it's a QB rich draft class, you better take a QB. The stars won't align better than that.

Giants were smart. They drafted the best player in the draft. You should ALWAYS draft the best player available.

No you shouldn't because all positions doesn't have the same worth. The most important position on the field, without question or debate, is the QB and a running back isn't even second on that list. So if you're sitting at #2 with an aging QB who at best is average and it's a QB rich draft class, you better take a QB. The stars won't align better than that.

and the giants only got the second best player in the draft. quenton nelson were all-pro year 1 and is already the best run blocker (based on pff weekly ratings) in the nfl, but who picks a guard so early, eh?  saquon barkley got more attention than nelson because barkley played rb.  is same reasoning why even less deserving qbs mighta' deserved attention from the giants. position matters.

the thing is, am sympathizing with the giants last year.  saquon, while only 2nd best, looked like the other projected future hall o' fame player in the draft.  the qbs, while having good ratings from experts, confused us.  sam darnold, for example, threw a whole lotta ints for a 1st round caliber qb and his completion percentage were barely a sniff above 60%... and he were the guy most teams said were number 1 for the qbs?  

unfortunately, the guys this year are wowing the pundits less than the group o' qbs from last year.  top guy might be kyler murray who played in the defense prohibited big 12 and is maybe 5'10". justin hebert were seeming the top guy for 2019, but with the change in offensive schemes, his accuracy numbers suffered in 2018.  so the big and strong-armed pro-style qb from oregon decided to go back to oregon for one more year, which were bad news for anybody looking for a qb in 2019. 

dwayne haskins has a pretty high ceiling, but he also has low basement potential.  the ohio st. qb threw 70% completion, which sounds good until you watch game tape.  wr were making haskins look better than he were, and if nfl corners were covering his passes, many more woulda' been defensed or intercepted. poor reads; even when he made passes he were often throwing to the wrong guy.  haskins has the talent, but he needs to be with the right team.  gonna need a year or two to coach haskins to nfl-level competence.  without good qb coaching and time to develop in the abbreviated nfl practices (thanks cba) haskins will cement bad habits without learning better habits.

regardless, is haskins or murray or lock or jones genuine top-five kinda guys?  one o' 'em, at least, is likely to be chosen in such rarefied air, but am having a hard time justifying based on anything other than the qb desperation a few nfl teams suffer.

speaking o' qb desperation, am not certain why we do not hear more noise from the buccaneers regarding a qb change.  jameis winston were terrible last year and caused the team off-the-field headaches as well.  keep jameis as qb might be the right thing to do if bucs do not believe they can improve their situation through the draft or fa this year, but am surprised to see a team throw in the towel on a season in february.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"Hey Bob Kraft you team just won another Super Bowl.What are you going to do now?"

"I think I'll go get a massage. I know this great little spot in Jupiter where Chinese sex slaves give happy endings"

https://deadspin.com/patriots-owner-bob-kraft-charged-with-soliciting-prosti-1832807440

:lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell